Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

It's really good and only $17 so go buy it.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1264280/Slipways/

edit: Whoopsies, I forgot to give this a tag, spent so much time thinking of which one to pick then went to have dinner and forgot before I posted ohh well.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Jun 24, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

"A single run takes 40-60 minutes..." is a bald-faced lie. If you're not spending at least 40-60 minutes on the final year alone you're playing it wrong :v:

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
Can you explain the gameplay and what other games it is similar to? I love some puzzle games and hate others.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Super Jay Mann posted:

"A single run takes 40-60 minutes..." is a bald-faced lie. If you're not spending at least 40-60 minutes on the final year alone you're playing it wrong :v:

I spent like an hour trying to figure out if I was hosed or if my run could be salvaged. Like if it told me "hey this is still possible" I certainly would have tried harder.

Womyn Capote
Jul 5, 2004

Its sorta like a 4x boiled down to an essence. You have a limited number of turns to connect planets with other planets and match up resources. Each planet has multiple options for resources and there's a research/tech element that changes up each game pretty significantly. At the end of the turns you are assigned a score based on how nice your planets are and a few other things. There is a campaign of missions too that are are pretty challenging puzzles in themselves, at least to get good scores on.

Its an extremely good game if you like puzzle games absolutely get it.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Duck and Cover posted:

I spent like an hour trying to figure out if I was hosed or if my run could be salvaged. Like if it told me "hey this is still possible" I certainly would have tried harder.

I had at least one game where I was convinced I was completely screwed and agonized trying to find a way to continue forward without going into total stagnation. And I finally found it. And by finding that one solution a number of other avenues of progress opened themselves and it was smooth sailing from there. It's certainly an immensely satisfying feeling salvaging what looked to certainly be lost.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Super Jay Mann posted:

I had at least one game where I was convinced I was completely screwed and agonized trying to find a way to continue forward without going into total stagnation. And I finally found it. And by finding that one solution a number of other avenues of progress opened themselves and it was smooth sailing from there. It's certainly an immensely satisfying feeling salvaging what looked to certainly be lost.

By the time I realized I should have tried to complete a task that'd give me a cash influx I was out of resources to do it. Of course ideally I would have realized I was hemorrhaging money sooner.

Womyn Capote
Jul 5, 2004

On the more challenging difficulties you definitely have to make decisions about saving those asteroids or try for a specific tech to deal with your cash problems. I will say my best advice is to start getting research points as soon as you can. There is kind of a snowball effect with the research, and having a lot of options at the end of the game is important for getting higher scores. At some point in the last few years you're going to stop expanding and use the high level tech to go back over your core and juice up your original planets to boost happiness. When and how you manage research has a massive effect on that stage of the game.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Womyn Capote posted:

On the more challenging difficulties you definitely have to make decisions about saving those asteroids or try for a specific tech to deal with your cash problems. I will say my best advice is to start getting research points as soon as you can. There is kind of a snowball effect with the research, and having a lot of options at the end of the game is important for getting higher scores. At some point in the last few years you're going to stop expanding and use the high level tech to go back over your core and juice up your original planets to boost happiness. When and how you manage research has a massive effect on that stage of the game.

I tend to ignore asteroids unless they're in my way or I need the cash.

IAmThatIs
Nov 17, 2014

Wasteland Style
Game is really good! I find it to be the perfect game to end the night with. I normally only take 30 min per run tho, I don't stop and think things through enough.

Who are people's favorite advisors? I always go for the scientists and the miners, and then choose between availably synergies with the other 3.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Not cool game. I wanted another mineral lab but apparently having two labs researching the same thing gets -2 penalty.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Duck and Cover posted:

Not cool game. I wanted another mineral lab but apparently having two labs researching the same thing gets -2 penalty.

Yeah it's a bit troublesome, though it's worth noting that the tech that gives +2 and then +4 to labs does work with penalized labs, so they're still worth building in that situation even if you only have 1 or 2 sources to draw from.

Womyn Capote
Jul 5, 2004

Duck and Cover posted:

What you really have to do is work out where you can put your labs so they get multiple inputs.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Womyn Capote posted:

What you really have to do is work out where you can put your labs so they get multiple inputs.

Yeah I wanted minerals because of that.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Bump. It's a good game that deserves more attention.

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador
Picked this up yesterday and I'm already kinda obsessed. Game owns, I'm real bad though. Had a chance at a four star rating on normal ruined by a few bad plays draining happiness on the last year or so.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
I'm well into my first run and have 36 planets on Reasonable, but I've become stuck. I've scanned everything I can, but I just can't see any connection I can make to expand my empire. Is it possible to become stuck in this game, or am I just not seeing it?

Also, does anyone have any tips regarding research stations? I can never seem to find a place that has a surplus of a finished product.

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

Node posted:

I'm well into my first run and have 36 planets on Reasonable, but I've become stuck. I've scanned everything I can, but I just can't see any connection I can make to expand my empire. Is it possible to become stuck in this game, or am I just not seeing it?

Also, does anyone have any tips regarding research stations? I can never seem to find a place that has a surplus of a finished product.

Well, you gotta intentionally set up your planets to have that surplus. Not particularly hard to arrange for two planets producing the research good and one producing population in an area.

I haven't gotten completely stuck before, but I have given up on a few games that might have become so, after a poor start. You could always just skip forward time and end it.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Eschatos posted:

Well, you gotta intentionally set up your planets to have that surplus. Not particularly hard to arrange for two planets producing the research good and one producing population in an area.

I haven't gotten completely stuck before, but I have given up on a few games that might have become so, after a poor start. You could always just skip forward time and end it.

Thanks. I found a way to get a few more established colonies, but the game was nearly over anyway.

What does it mean when a product has a red padlock icon on it? I've noticed this with energy, and when you invent that technology that lets you mine asteroids for minerals.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Node posted:

Thanks. I found a way to get a few more established colonies, but the game was nearly over anyway.

What does it mean when a product has a red padlock icon on it? I've noticed this with energy, and when you invent that technology that lets you mine asteroids for minerals.

It just means that the import is required for the export to be usable. Normally you can always at minimum export the base resource of a planet/location even with no imports, but that isn't the case with padlocked exports. No import, no product.

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

Managed to finally get a five star win on normal:

Realized I was one month of the game ending and just shy of five stars, spent the next 15 minutes scrolling through every planet looking for a way to eke out a few more points. Ended up realizing I could connect two planets to make em both prosperous.

What perks do yall like? I've come to really rely on the +10 research at start of game one, but whenever I don't also take one that generates money I run out early on. Some of the others seem super powerful, though, like causing forge worlds to produce both robots and chips.

whiskey patrol
Feb 26, 2003
Picked this up a few days ago and it's great. I think my favorite perk so far is the one that lets remnant worlds produce goods - I don't think you can ever have enough goods (unless you have enlightenment). I think one of the keys is finding a way to get research going early. I sometimes get too distracted setting up my supply chains and forget to build an area specifically to get some research.

Uncle Khasim
Dec 20, 2009

Didn’t like this game at first but stuck with it and it was worth doing so. Came back to it once achievements were added just to gauge my performance and now I’m back down the rabbit hole again.

I’m not sure if trying to 3-star all the campaign maps on Tough is possible after the teleporter nerf. Trying to get it done on Challenging now.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
I love this game, extremely chill and I can see myself getting better at creating loops. I really struggle with money though, and the jump from Challenging to Tough is, well, tough! I definitely understand you need to use some money perks to help keep yourself afloat, but it's really hard to get your income going where you aren't just floundering year after year AND you need to get research going and it's pretty rough.

One combo I found that's probably not that great but at least has some synergy is +cash for discovering planets and +1 research for 4th planet discovered. Helps you build wide.

The other is to go energy focused and pick up the two council members that give you energy production on planets that require circuit boards. Add in the "forgeworlds produce an extra resource" perk or the "forgeworlds produce nanobots and circuits" perk and you can have desert, laval, arid, and mineral planets all producing energy and feed that back into your empire with some techs that further boost production for planets receiving energy.

The Enlightenment technology (remove the Goods requirement for population producing planets) seems to be a really clutch planet improvement at pushing some of your population planets into successful. I still don't do a great job of getting my research going early because I rarely get to mess around with the higher tier techs.

Dreylad fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Aug 30, 2021

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Enlightenment is a double edge sword. removing the goods need can be useful, but it also takes away potential import/export routes.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
A lot of research can be pretty impactful. The Dendr food synthesizer can get you up and running pretty nice; people can often gather water or biomass but you need robots to get food. The Silithid microforge is a quality chip supplier and can be updated to make bots and goods too. The biomass on water/water on biomass and bots on goods/goods on bots planet projects will often provide some crucial exports even if they're not strictly needed.

Uncle Khasim
Dec 20, 2009

Enlightenment isn’t mandatory but it makes things a fuckload easier.

The main issue is that goods aren’t something directly produced by people, and some planets require forgeworld products on top of that.

I would generally recommend every run has something to take the sting out of good requirements; Repurposing will do in a pinch, or energy.

Uncle Khasim fucked around with this message at 10:13 on Aug 30, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
Yeah Enlightenment does feel like a crutch in that sense, as there are other ways to deal with goods that encourage you to build up your trade network. I just need to figure out better early game cash strategies for Tough.