Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i have significant experience with both hardware samplers and pc based sampling. I am going to suspect that a full weighted 88 that does full sampling stuff is going to be super expensive. Samplers are best for live performance/gigging (built like brick shithouse, no ntoskrnl.exe to get corrupted), though they generally sound great and have impeccable timing and low latency. what i'd say is if you're cool with it, just find a keyboard that does USB MIDI output and use any number of sampler software packages to goof with weird noises. There's even stuff for ipads if you get the Camera Connection Kit (gives 'em a USB jack so you can plug the keyboard in).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

^

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Jonny 290 posted:

i have significant experience with both hardware samplers and pc based sampling. I am going to suspect that a full weighted 88 that does full sampling stuff is going to be super expensive. Samplers are best for live performance/gigging (built like brick shithouse, no ntoskrnl.exe to get corrupted), though they generally sound great and have impeccable timing and low latency. what i'd say is if you're cool with it, just find a keyboard that does USB MIDI output and use any number of sampler software packages to goof with weird noises. There's even stuff for ipads if you get the Camera Connection Kit (gives 'em a USB jack so you can plug the keyboard in).

Thanks a ton for the reply. I'm not exactly looking to make hip hop beats exclusively with my kids piano or anything like that. I just figured if I'm getting a keyboard anyway, I'd like to also get one that I can modulate sounds and stuff. Like literally grab a clip of my dog barking and me and my kids cab play that stupid version of Jingle Bells with the dog barking.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
this looks like a pretty robust and fun toy for free

https://www.magix.com/us/free-download/independence-free-sampler-software/

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
should i buy bitwig while its on sale y/n

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Tayter Swift posted:

this seems like it's one of those programs where you fiddle for like six hours to get a slightly different sawtooth from the sound you started out with, but i know trig uses it iirc

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
is there a benefit to proper weighted keys on a keyboard?

is it simply because it feels like a real piano? or does it literally make it easier or better to play?

relative_q
Sep 9, 2008

shame on a kitty who try to run game on a kitty

wu buck wild wit tha trigga

echinopsis posted:

is there a benefit to proper weighted keys on a keyboard?

is it simply because it feels like a real piano? or does it literally make it easier or better to play?

in 99% of cases players like weighted keys because it makes the instrument feel more like a real piano. if i'm playing a gig where i'm not trying to rip sick synth solos or anything like that, weighted keys are nice. if i am trying to rip those sick synth solos, i prefer semi-weighted actions, because they're much faster. keep in mind, though, that an electronic keyboard even with a fully-weighted action is never going to feel 100% like a real acoustic piano simply because the mechanics of the actions are so different.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

Is there anything like that out there that anyone here can recommend? It has to be a piano first, and a "sampler" second (I don't even know if sampler is the right word) so I would want it to be full-sized with weighted keys that's practically as good as a real analog piano. I read some good stuff about the Yamaha MODX8 but that's a few years old and I didn't know if there was anything better or newer.

jonny p well covered the sampler thing, as for the piano part, 90% of the posts in the piano thread are which electric piano to buy so they'll get you sorted: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2612320

my own personal advice would just be to buy used since if you or your kid stick with it long enough you're going to want to switch to an acoustic eventually

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

relative_q posted:

in 99% of cases players like weighted keys because it makes the instrument feel more like a real piano. if i'm playing a gig where i'm not trying to rip sick synth solos or anything like that, weighted keys are nice. if i am trying to rip those sick synth solos, i prefer semi-weighted actions, because they're much faster. keep in mind, though, that an electronic keyboard even with a fully-weighted action is never going to feel 100% like a real acoustic piano simply because the mechanics of the actions are so different.

thankyou

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK

relative_q posted:

As a piano player who learned on acoustic pianos, the difference between weighted and unweighted keys is kindof like comparing mechanical keyboards to "regular" keyboards. Like they're both fine and useful in their own way... but if I want to go fast and hit a lot of notes correctly at the right... timbre... without having to look at your hands, I prefer the weighted keys. There's just something about unweighted keys that make me expend more brain power on controlling the keypresses...

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

Jonny 290 posted:

this seems like it's one of those programs where you fiddle for like six hours to get a slightly different sawtooth from the sound you started out with, but i know trig uses it iirc

yeah i know he's been using it p much from day one

relative_q
Sep 9, 2008

shame on a kitty who try to run game on a kitty

wu buck wild wit tha trigga

MrQueasy posted:

As a piano player who learned on acoustic pianos, the difference between weighted and unweighted keys is kindof like comparing mechanical keyboards to "regular" keyboards. Like they're both fine and useful in their own way... but if I want to go fast and hit a lot of notes correctly at the right... timbre... without having to look at your hands, I prefer the weighted keys. There's just something about unweighted keys that make me expend more brain power on controlling the keypresses...

personally, if i'm tryin to rip some fast licks, the un/semi-weighted keyboard is the go-to. those actions are so much faster, especially considering that so many of the fully-weighted electronic keyboard actions end up being hella mushy

relative_q fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Jul 4, 2021

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I need to talk about my love for my hydrasynth

this is the second synth I've ever owned but the first poly synth

and god drat. there is almost nothing I want to do with it I can't, and the UI is so god drat intuitive. some reviews have hypothised that they came up with the UI first and synth second, because it's so deeply and inherently intuitive.

I haven't had this much enjoyment playing an instrument since i was just starting to get good at electric. never mind the keyboard is nice enough, and poly aftertouch is glorious, especially if the patch is programmed in a way to take mega advantage of it

it wasn't cheap and drat its heavy as gently caress. but I am in love

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!
dunno if anyone's into this kind of stuff, but here's the first two pages of a schubert impromptu i've been working on for ages now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ewzZwS9HKM0

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010

Tayter Swift posted:

Bitwig is amazingly flexible but unless you're specifically into building enormous generative FX and automation patches it doesn't really offer much over any other DAW

I want to love it because Logic's automation is so limited, but its a massive CPU hog and I can't get over the effort of learning a new workflow

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

playing a video game on Friday crashed my computer so hard and hosed up the registry I had to reformat and reinstall. Time to setup all the daw poo poo so I can get drunk and play drums by end of day!

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i hope you learned your lesson: video games should go on consoles

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Achmed Jones posted:

i hope you learned your lesson: video games should go on consoles
gently caress that! this thing crashes because of chrome sometimes. Hopefully this fixes it. Don't loving dual boot to windows XP and windows 10 I guess

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

KoRMaK posted:

this thing crashes because of chrome sometimes.

i guess today is full of lessons op

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

the real lesson was learned long ago to backup all my 'cant live without' poo poo to a giant cloud backup that way im never tied to any one piece of poo poo device

Zam Wesell
Mar 22, 2009

[Zam is suddenly shot in the neck by a toxic dart; Anakin and Obi-Wan see a "rocket-man" take off and fly away, and Zam dies]
bitwig's pretty amazing, and I love the grid functionality. I went back to Ableton though, cus I've used it since v4 and it's just too much of a hassle learning the muscle memory. also, one thing I've learned to love with Live over the years is the minimalism in its design.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

the thing about Bitwig is that it's so clearly an Ableton competitor.

Anyone who is into Ableton enough to even aware of Bitwig is probably enough of an Ableton tragic that it'd be difficult to switch.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
https://youtu.be/YXTU6Uvz7Fo

I made a patch which felt interesting and expressive enough so I made a short song with it and then recorded a “music video” for it

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

echinopsis posted:

https://youtu.be/YXTU6Uvz7Fo

I made a patch which felt interesting and expressive enough so I made a short song with it and then recorded a “music video” for it

this is extremely good. keep this up.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
thankyou 290 that means a lot

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

the gods of goodwill have smiled upon me today.

now let’s hope it works :ohdear:

im_sorry
Jan 15, 2006

(9999)
Ultra Carp
I just uploaded this yesterday. For some reason, it has already gotten more likes than anything else I've ever done.. which makes me kinda sad, because I still think that "Driving Back from High Prairie" is the best thing I've ever done.
https://soundcloud.com/the_door_is_scary/actual-ufos

I used Mishby on it, and according to the support team, "MISHBY is great for disappointing loved ones and sabotaging, well, any relationship really." You can steal a copy yourself and disappoint your loved ones even further at https://freakshowindustries.com/crime-hole-mishby

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i keep thinking about one of the mini controllers. very nice score

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

feeling happy about this track https://soundcloud.com/trent-hawkins/20210720-feat-lagoon-city

although i also feel i might get in trouble if i do not cut things to be shorter

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

im_sorry posted:

I just uploaded this yesterday. For some reason, it has already gotten more likes than anything else I've ever done.. which makes me kinda sad, because I still think that "Driving Back from High Prairie" is the best thing I've ever done.
https://soundcloud.com/the_door_is_scary/actual-ufos

I used Mishby on it, and according to the support team, "MISHBY is great for disappointing loved ones and sabotaging, well, any relationship really." You can steal a copy yourself and disappoint your loved ones even further at https://freakshowindustries.com/crime-hole-mishby

that's a nice track, how much did you use that mishby effect on it?

im_sorry
Jan 15, 2006

(9999)
Ultra Carp

Penisface posted:

that's a nice track, how much did you use that mishby effect on it?

Thanks! I only used it a little bit, to give a bit of a broken tape effect. I only pulled the lever until the face started to bleed.

I also used it on this track. Mishby seems to work best if you only use it a little bit.. I used it on the drums here, although it can do some serious destruction if you let it!!
https://soundcloud.com/the_door_is_scary/up-against-today

im_sorry fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Jul 24, 2021

Zaxxon
Feb 14, 2004

Wir Tanzen Mekanik
I ususally post these in the yoschord but I'm feeling like spreading them around a bit more. I do simple acid jams on Wednesday. Where I try to use all the different synths and stuff that I have.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4FdShk7aA8

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
happy 808 day friends, treat your drum machine to lunch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3N9yioOibE

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
i’m entertaining the idea of busking with my synth. maybe get a second synth so i can deal with voice changes

do I have skill? at fiddling knobs maybe. and I know of chords

what could go wrong really? my already has a battery amp which puts out usb charge so could run my old bass station II but would need proper power for the hydrasynth. unless I find a battery solution instead of power pack

🤔

im_sorry
Jan 15, 2006

(9999)
Ultra Carp

echinopsis posted:

i’m entertaining the idea of busking with my synth. maybe get a second synth so i can deal with voice changes

do I have skill? at fiddling knobs maybe. and I know of chords

what could go wrong really? my already has a battery amp which puts out usb charge so could run my old bass station II but would need proper power for the hydrasynth. unless I find a battery solution instead of power pack

🤔

If you're comfortable with playing your synths live (I'm not there yet, although mainly from lack of practice), try livestreaming first. It's like busking, but even people half a world away can watch and give you money.

I have a two day hotel stay coming up. I actually got off my rear end and came up with a portable synth setup using a Tascam DP-006 as the mixer/recorder, and have actually done a couple test runs with it. There's also a well stocked synth store near where I'll be staying, so I might leave with more synths than I brought....

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
it’s a solid idea but i’m weary it’ll prove to me i’m not ready and then maybe never do it at all

I do know it’s the best advice tho

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

streaming to the internet can be lonely and cumbersome, doing it in real space means you can more easily have people stumble by and build a vibe

im mostly interested in how you would power all thr gear

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
yeah same lol

as it stands though only the hydrasynth needs power. the amp is a small rechargeable thing and if I get a bass station like I hope to, it runs off 5v usb that the amp puts out.

but realistically I might want a reverb or delay or something to fill the space especially if I end up using a mono synth somewhere, and then that’ll mean I need a proper solution

ie running a huge cable from a local shop

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
and it’s fun dreaming lol. I wanna get a black sheet to hang under the synth in front of the stand and stuff, and go for that stoned doom wizard look

I have a rainbow wizard hat somewhere but I’ve lost it :qq: