Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

High School Grads Eligible!

President Beep posted:

i really thought I’d enjoy the nintendo and super nintendo games on switch but most of the time I’m like “god, these really suck rear end”.

i'm glad they have save states and rewinding, it's the only way i've been able to make progress in mario 3

Armitag3 posted:

felt cute might delete l8r

:yosnice:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

toiletbrush posted:

what the hell happened with Just Cause 4

it's like someone played JC3, thought to themselves 'what makes this fun' and then made sure JC4 had absolutely none of it
yeah idk. i played a bit and it was rough. there's alt fire on weapons and maybe weapons are generally a little better than 3. it's otherwise very stagnant and feels like a step back

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
I don't like scary games generally. I'm willing to make an exception for the Spooky Aliens Game but I'm already terrified of the ocean and can't imagine why I'd want to gamify that.

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010

Kenny Logins posted:

yeah idk. i played a bit and it was rough. there's alt fire on weapons and maybe weapons are generally a little better than 3. it's otherwise very stagnant and feels like a step back
yeah tbf a lot of it is actually improved and that makes the step back in gameplay even more frustrating

its like they heard people complaining that blowing stuff up to capture locations could get samey after a while, but rather than fixing it they just said gently caress it and removed 95% of the bases and all the destruction and force you do fly through rings to capture instead

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Schadenboner posted:

I don't like scary games generally. I'm willing to make an exception for the Spooky Aliens Game but I'm already terrified of the ocean and can't imagine why I'd want to gamify that.

i don't like scary games either, subnautica's a very different kind of scary from other games. it's fear of the unknown and the dark and not knowing how to get back out of this cave before your oxygen runs out, rather than fear of any actual specific threat. sure there are monstrous things that will try to kill you, but they stop being scary after you've encountered them a time or two

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

jesus WEP posted:

its fear of the unknown and the dark and not knowing how to get back out of this cave before your oxygen runs out

Why on* earth would I pay money for this when I can just reoccurringly nightmare it for free, tho?

*: Under :v:

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

i'm gonna do it, i'm going to buy disco elysium

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

President Beep posted:

i really thought I’d enjoy the nintendo and super nintendo games on switch but most of the time I’m like “god, these really suck rear end”.

what sucks is that its missing a ton of gmaes that were on the wii shop btu i guess the IP owners wanted to sell their own rereleases instead of giving it away. but theres alwqays emulation

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
which is an excuse to post this again

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

a lot of the core mechanics in nes and snes era games just plain suck. at best they are well intended but flawed because developers hadn't yet honed the concepts down, at worse they are just ported over quarter-eating bullshit from arcade games that were more frustrating than fun.

it's funny seeing long-running series keep the appearance of the mechanics while completely gutting them to make sure they aren't frustration sources anymore. people would flip out about a Mario game with infinite lives and no coins/1UPs so they keep that mechanic in but give you so drat coins and lives that there's practically no way you'll risk running out.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Give me the mother trilogy on the switch you cowards. :argh:

where the gently caress is super mario rpg even? jfc

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Shifty Pony posted:

a lot of the core mechanics in nes and snes era games just plain suck. at best they are well intended but flawed because developers hadn't yet honed the concepts down, at worse they are just ported over quarter-eating bullshit from arcade games that were more frustrating than fun.

it's funny seeing long-running series keep the appearance of the mechanics while completely gutting them to make sure they aren't frustration sources anymore. people would flip out about a Mario game with infinite lives and no coins/1UPs so they keep that mechanic in but give you so drat coins and lives that there's practically no way you'll risk running out.

yeah thank god modern game design isnt built about microtransactions lol

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

"Harold and Kumar Discover Ballad Meter"?

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Shifty Pony posted:

i got super Mario 3D world recently for the switch and yeah, the way they cover over the old mechanics without directly 'offending' the player is pretty clever. i didn't even realize the first time it popped an assist power up box at a respawn point after i kept flubbing the last bit of a jump sequence. i think i failed again after that and it low-key gave me a star boost too

that's as all regardless of the 17 lives I'd acquired through the previous levels, so the boosts weren't needed but were added right when i was becoming frustrated enough to quit the level. i probably had a boost before that with another difficult level and assumed the power up was something i missed when running through the area

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

President Beep posted:

I'm guessing square enix is up to their bullshit, because it feels like a slam dunk addition

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

A Wheezy Steampunk posted:

i'm glad they have save states and rewinding, it's the only way i've been able to make progress in mario 3

:yosnice:

mine's a fuckin mess so far but working on it. i can't decide if i should thank you for mentioning this or not

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

Endless Mike posted:

mine's a fuckin mess so far but working on it. i can't decide if i should thank you for mentioning this or not

I try not to get too obsessed with the compactness, since the ratio upgrades will force me to bulldoze a whole factory floor and do it again.

Then again, tweaking the design and playing tetris with the blocks is the non-idle part of the game!

e: Looking :nice: by the by

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

President Beep posted:

that was me discovering mame for the first time:

"wow, all the arcade games from when i was a kid! in their original rom form! and infinite free play! this is going to rule!!!"
* spends five minutes playing moon patrol or dig dug or pole position or zaxxon *
"god, these really suck rear end"

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team

President Beep posted:

seriously, i have probably spent more time on that snes game than any of the others. yoshi's island comes close

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
dig dug rules if you’re medium drunk/high and playing it in an actual arcade

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

High School Grads Eligible!
chubby checker's dig dug song is pretty good

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
current subnautica status: sunbeam eta of 2 minutes and I’m at the rendezvous point. made this “game” my bitch toot sweet.

:moonrio:

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

gently caress!!!

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

lmao

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

Asleep Style
Oct 20, 2010

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Did ...did Beeps get et by teh fish?

:ohdear:

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

lollll

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Schadenboner posted:

Did ...did Beeps get et by teh fish?

:ohdear:
the first real plot point of the game is you swim over to an island where your rescue beacon is and find a weird building. you see your rescue spaceship fly in out of space, only for a huge fuckoff gun to rise up out of the building and blow it up

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

jesus WEP posted:

the first real plot point of the game is you swim over to an island where your rescue beacon is and find a weird building. you see your rescue spaceship fly in out of space, only for a huge fuckoff gun to rise up out of the building and blow it up

Did these developers literally just buy my psychiatrist's notes off him or what?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

jesus WEP posted:

this will happen whether you go there or not, so it's equally likely you see a huge gently caress off laser coming out of nowhere to blow up the ship, which will probably encourage you to look in that direction if you haven't before

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

haveblue posted:

this will happen whether you go there or not, so it's equally likely you see a huge gently caress off laser coming out of nowhere to blow up the ship, which will probably encourage you to look in that direction if you haven't before
oh drat that’s kind of cool, if i playthrough from the start again i might watch from my crash site

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Schadenboner posted:

Did these developers literally just buy my psychiatrist's notes off him or what?

Although, "Aliens with laser" is arguably different-enough from "Cheerleader with Stinger" that they won't pay me loving royalties.

:mad:

E: I suppose Toni Basil isn't technically a cheerleader but, you know, :shrug:?

Schadenboner fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Jul 3, 2021

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

if you quickly build the seaglide and a bunch of high-capacity air tanks it is possible to get all the way to the sea emperor, cure yourself, and disable the gun platform before the ship even arrives, in which case the crew says there's a debris field preventing them from landing and they just leave instead :mad:

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK

Sagebrush posted:

if you quickly build the seaglide and a bunch of high-capacity air tanks it is possible to get all the way to the sea emperor, cure yourself, and disable the gun platform before the ship even arrives, in which case the crew says there's a debris field preventing them from landing and they just leave instead :mad:

this makes me 2x happier with subnautica 1

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

really though the game is pretty fun EXCEPT for inventory management. maybe I’m just used to minecraft where storage is cheap and easily obtained, but god drat is it a hassle here.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

apart from glitchiness and other performance issues, inventory management is 100% the worst part of the game

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

I’ve got a bunch of organic poo poo that I might just dump out somewhere to free up some of my floating storage bin thingies. idk. who knows these days.

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib

President Beep posted:

I’ve got a bunch of organic poo poo that I might just dump out somewhere to free up some of my floating storage bin thingies. idk. who knows these days.

just make more

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

President Beep posted:

the floating bins are useless. build a lil house asap and put lockers in it