Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

KoRMaK posted:

I was listening to stav and Ethan (the huge guy from my name is Earl is who ripped now) talk about food and struggles and I'd really really like to get my nutrition under control

https://www.podchaser.com/podcasts/american-glutton-986219/episodes/stavros-halkias-comedian-actor-90893943

What are good resources to get myself refamiliar with how to balance my macros for maintenance and weight loss?

read about your bmi, your bmr (how many calories you burn doing nothing, say), figure out how many calories you need to support the activity level you do at your goal weight, and start modifying your diet to fit. if you're actively doing intense cardio or if you're lifting weights, a good protein target to shoot for is about 1.5g per kilo of weight (if you're significantly overweight, however, this will probably be unnecessarily high).

get a kitchen scale, weigh everything you eat, and log it in something like cronometer or a similar tracking app

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Went to the gym and lifted some plates today.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

I definitely need to find a place that is better than LA Fitness , that place kind of sucks in regards to how many racks they have. The new one i'm going to have like 10 benches though which is nice.

Fatal Error
Feb 13, 2013

by sebmojo

mediaphage posted:

read about your bmi, your bmr (how many calories you burn doing nothing, say), figure out how many calories you need to support the activity level you do at your goal weight, and start modifying your diet to fit. if you're actively doing intense cardio or if you're lifting weights, a good protein target to shoot for is about 1.5g per kilo of weight (if you're significantly overweight, however, this will probably be unnecessarily high).

get a kitchen scale, weigh everything you eat, and log it in something like cronometer or a similar tracking app

quoted for truth
calorie counting was the only thing that worked for me personally when i first really tried to fix my nutrition. and really do weigh everything you eat, it' s a bother at first but you get used to it. it helped me lose 30kg and get the closest to a healthy weight i'd ever been. i regained over 10 kg after getting an office job though :v:
finally got fed up with myself and decided to start counting again this week.

RustyKnight
Jul 11, 2016

every day is a new horror

Fatal Error posted:

quoted for truth
calorie counting was the only thing that worked for me personally when i first really tried to fix my nutrition. and really do weigh everything you eat, it' s a bother at first but you get used to it. it helped me lose 30kg and get the closest to a healthy weight i'd ever been. i regained over 10 kg after getting an office job though :v:
finally got fed up with myself and decided to start counting again this week.

seconding this, can confirm from my own losing of 15 kgs (and gaining 8 due of depression :smith:) and knowing this poster personally too

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

i would like to get strong without feeling sore

today is a sore day

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

AnimeIsTrash posted:

I definitely need to find a place that is better than LA Fitness , that place kind of sucks in regards to how many racks they have. The new one i'm going to have like 10 benches though which is nice.

same, but la fitness here is so cheap compared to everything else

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

Share Bear posted:

i would like to get strong without feeling sore

today is a sore day

i just pretend that i enjoy the soreness

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

there's soreness, and then there's first leg day back after a month off where you feel like you have cement thighs

i don't mind the usual doms cause i know its working, but yeesh

carry on then fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Jun 17, 2021

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

sometimes youre sore and its fine

sometimes you just think “gently caress my maxes i can do more” and then cant use appendages

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

carry on then posted:

there's soreness, and then there's first leg day back after a month off where you feel like you have cement thighs

I stopped doing explicit leg days for this reason and instead alternate between cardio, deadlifts, and squats everytime I go the gym.

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

carry on then posted:

lol I went back to the gym for the first time in a year last week. I couldn't even left my arm to point at something without feeling it for 3 days.

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

gonna attempt to do something i havent done since pre-covid

that's right i might go to the gym twice this week

doms has been so bad up until this week but now i'm feeling better after a couple of days and can start pushing my maxes harder

Nevergirls
Jul 4, 2004

It's not right living this way, not letting others know what's true and what's false.

my stepdads beer posted:

lol I went back to the gym for the first time in a year last week. I couldn't even left my arm to point at something without feeling it for 3 days.

I've re-re-re-committed after giving up once the gym filled up and before I got vaxxed. Today I did an arm day after a long time off.

It took me five minutes to get my shirt off afterward

I don't wanna think about what this weekend will be like

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

I hit 205 bench with more to spare a week ago and was feeling really good, like I was in striking distance of my goal (225). But my right shoulder has been really bothering me and yesterday I had to take it really easy. I need to focus on better warmups and maybe even something like yoga. Its frustrating though because its tempting to just power through it, I've been chasing this stupid goal so long and I just wanna check that box.

I've also put on some weight, it was difficult to get past 180 but I found a good smoothie place and have been drinking their weight gain smoothies daily and that's gotten me to (extremely snoop dogg voice) 187. Its an indulgence but whatever when I used to go into work I'd buy lunch every day.

Ideally I'd like to be about 190 pounds, hit my bench goal (and also healthy squats and deadlifts, which I also do but don't track my maxes cause I don't care as much about them) and then just focus on maintaining that weight/strength for basically the rest of my life. I mix in jogging and boxing though I've been slacking a bit on both because its pretty hard to gain weight boxing several times a week.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dl9ArmXHhO4

Something for you front squat haters.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

i finally feel like i found a position where my wrists aren't completely killing me for 6 sets or so

e: at 100lbs lmao, i really do want to figure out a rack situation eventually

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

carry on then posted:

i finally feel like i found a position where my wrists aren't completely killing me for 6 sets or so

e: at 100lbs lmao, i really do want to figure out a rack situation eventually

I did some the other day as the cage was open. I think I might incorporate them into my workouts if I can get the cage as my body completely hurt after.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

damnit, gave myself what seems like a good match for mild golfer's (lmao) elbow. i know rest is important but i was really consistent up to now and this feels like it destroyed all of it. ugh.

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry
So melbourne is going back into lockdown, which means 3 to 4 weeks until gyms are back. I'm not too cool to do aerobics in my pyjamas in the lounge room, anyone got any good youtubes etc with bodyweight stuff? I'm in a small place and we are about to move so getting a rowing machine etc isn't possible right now.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

can you put up a pullup bar? if you can honestly the stuff in the incredibly stupid book Convict Conditioning is quite good. it's full of toxic masculinity bullshit and terrible writing, but the exercises, routines, etc are good. i recommend pirating it

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Trimson Grondag 3 posted:

So melbourne is going back into lockdown, which means 3 to 4 weeks until gyms are back. I'm not too cool to do aerobics in my pyjamas in the lounge room, anyone got any good youtubes etc with bodyweight stuff? I'm in a small place and we are about to move so getting a rowing machine etc isn't possible right now.

hybridcalisthenics.com is a good start he has a ton of youtubes. you'll need a pull up bar and maybe some bands/rings depending

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

carry on then posted:

damnit, gave myself what seems like a good match for mild golfer's (lmao) elbow. i know rest is important but i was really consistent up to now and this feels like it destroyed all of it. ugh.

I hate to say it but I got a bad twinge of Golfers Elbow a few weeks before lockdown started March 2020, 'rest it' they said. I have done p. much zero exercise since then and its still 80% as bad as it was.

Lucky thing is (for me at least) it only pains me when I do curls, that one single ROM. Anything else, fine.

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.
yosfit: where the only remaining fat32 exists between the keyboard and chair

I started running to lose weight, and after three years I'm now a fat guy who runs a lot

RustyKnight
Jul 11, 2016

every day is a new horror

RokosCockatrice posted:

yosfit: where the only remaining fat32 exists between the keyboard and chair

I started running to lose weight, and after three years I'm now a fat guy who runs a lot

same here, well I don't run that much but I do minimal exercises and see my stamina has improved, so now I am a fat idiot that runs really fast at local airsoft field and is still able to catch breath

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

running is good, i ran too long on old shoes and gave myself some itb syndrome, my running season is over early unfortunately

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

a cool trick for losing weight is to replace your meals with some sort of drug. instead of breakfast try some coffee and a cigarette. want to eat lunch? take an Adderall. when dinner time rolls around you can permit yourself to eat one quarter of a plate of food or you can just take some ketamine. soon you'll be shedding the pounds

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

PokeJoe posted:

a cool trick for losing weight is to replace your meals with some sort of drug. instead of breakfast try some coffee and a cigarette. want to eat lunch? take an Adderall. when dinner time rolls around you can permit yourself to eat one quarter of a plate of food or you can just take some ketamine. soon you'll be shedding the pounds

big lesson learnt as an adult, and as someone that pre-covid travelled pretty far prettty often: breakfast is really important

it doesn't have to be big, but it has to be something, it keeps you sorta regular with sleep/waking up as well

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I had an eye appointment this morning, and now I can't read. It is so, so very relaxing not to be able to read.

I'm trying to look up how to get eye dilation drops so I can put them in a night, forcing myself to leave evil computer alone after 8:00 p.m.. of course I can't see anything so I don't even know if Google is writing this correctly, let alone what I can order on Amazon.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

RokosCockatrice posted:

I had an eye appointment this morning, and now I can't read. It is so, so very relaxing not to be able to read.

I'm trying to look up how to get eye dilation drops so I can put them in a night, forcing myself to leave evil computer alone after 8:00 p.m.. of course I can't see anything so I don't even know if Google is writing this correctly, let alone what I can order on Amazon.

lol at turning to eye dilation drops for your tech addiction instead of therapy

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

Well that was a short lived joy. I can see again and I do NOT appreciate your posting!

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

RokosCockatrice posted:

Well that was a short lived joy. I can see again and I do NOT appreciate your posting!

what else is new

matti
Mar 31, 2019

i need to exercise, my body is not ok

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

matti posted:

do it

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

stretch your calves on the windowsill, isometric exercise

matti
Mar 31, 2019

otoh i am only sore because i danced so dang lot

inset
Sep 20, 2003

Grimey Drawer
let's lift a weight

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

Hit the rowing machine today for a bit, feels good.

I set it up such that I have the kinomap app running on my iPad in front of the machine so I’ve got rowers-view vids of nice spots. Today was an idyllic English stream by some abbey, lots of nice old stone bridges and old-timey barges

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

went back to the gym this week. doms feels good 💪

Fortaleza posted:

Hit the rowing machine today for a bit, feels good.

I set it up such that I have the kinomap app running on my iPad in front of the machine so I’ve got rowers-view vids of nice spots. Today was an idyllic English stream by some abbey, lots of nice old stone bridges and old-timey barges

that's cool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

matti posted:

Go to the gym and get ripped brother.