Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

RestingB1tchFace posted:

It was fine. Little overdone with the drama....but otherwise did a good job of capturing the feel of an 80's/90's slasher. And I wonder what their music budget was? They were shoehorning in well known 90's songs every opportunity they had. And if that was the case ahead of time....why not set it in 1998 or something? Plenty of those songs were released in '95 or later. In about a span of five seconds they jumped from The Fugees to White Town. And those were even later than '95....

Just you wait till all the movies of the 2030's that are set in the early 2000's have everyone using iphones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

How are u posted:

Yeah it was, but I just finished it and enjoyed it well enough. Did split a bottle of red with my lady while watching it, but we enjoyed it for a lazy Friday afternoon flick.

Haha I just finished it as well

I was extremely baked on homemade edibles, at one point I greened out and had to rewind 30 minutes. I wouldn't say I didn't enjoy it but holy gently caress it is the DUMBEST MOVIE

like for real the entire conceit of the movie the titular TOMORROW WAR A ends up not mattering because the future is just changed and there's never any clever twist or time loop paradox, they come back from the future and then the climax is just More Shooting Bugs

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Nihonniboku posted:

I feel like Netflix has just about given up at this point trying to make quality TV. In the last year, I think the only thing I actually enjoyed was Umbrella Academy and Queen's Gambit? Was there anything else? I'm considering canceling my subscription for the first time ever. Hulu I have bundled with my spotify, and Amazon with Amazon Prime of course. Disney Plus at least seems to have me hooked with nonstop Marvel and Star Wars programming for the foreseeable future, which amounts to basically a Marvel of Star Wars movie per month for $8. Paramount Plus I picked up for super cheap on Amazon Prime Day, and I'll cancel that once that promotional offer is up.

Godzilla Singular Point is good

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Simone Magus posted:

Haha I just finished it as well

I was extremely baked on homemade edibles, at one point I greened out and had to rewind 30 minutes. I wouldn't say I didn't enjoy it but holy gently caress it is the DUMBEST MOVIE

like for real the entire conceit of the movie the titular TOMORROW WAR A ends up not mattering because the future is just changed and there's never any clever twist or time loop paradox, they come back from the future and then the climax is just More Shooting Bugs

Yeah plus the virus they create is also pointless since they just destroy the creature’s ship using explosives.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

toggle posted:

It’s 40mins too long.

Creature designs are really cool though.

What I saw of the creatures in the trailer made me skip this thing they all looked so generic, just waxy white/gray you see from Batman v. Superman to a million monster movies.

Am I wrong?

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
Hey I know a lot of lesser-known series get lost in the mass of offerings, but let me put one in for Loudermilk on Amazon Prime. Starring Ron Livingston, costarring Will Sasso, also has standup Brian Regan in an ensemble role (very, very different from his standup- he makes a startingly good actor). It's got some of the marks of the Farrelly brothers on it (Peter Farrelly is a co-creator), such as casting disabled actors, but it has none of their signature gross-out humor.

At first glance it seemed like the myriad of House ripoffs of the 2000s-2010s (here's House if he was a police detective! Here's House at a publishing company), but it is much better. Loudermilk (Ron Livingston) is an rear end in a top hat through and through, a sober ex-music critic who leads a sobriety group. He does manage to at least make the by now cliched misanthrope main character really interesting. You could really see this role being Peter from Office Space, 20 years later after life has repeatedly kicked the poo poo out of him.

Ben (Will Sasso) is his roommate, another recovering alcoholic. While Sasso (you might remember him from MadTV) is really good at physical comedy, he proves in here that he's also very good at holding up a scene with dialogue alone.

The setup seems depressing, but it is very much a comedy. Very conversational comedy, very little physical humor or slapstick (either Peter Farrelly is rounding off with age, or he had a co-creator suppressing his worst impulses). 3 seasons before it got cancelled, which is a shame because S1 and S2 were good, but S3 is really, really good. Check it out.

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

Tomorrow war reminds me most of classic arcade shooters like house of the dead or time crisis in movie form. Just long sequences of running and firing, jumping into a truck and firing, kicking a door open and firing.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

GD_American posted:

Hey I know a lot of lesser-known series get lost in the mass of offerings, but let me put one in for Loudermilk on Amazon Prime.
Have you watched Flaked? Sounds somewhat similar, and I thought it was also surprisingly good. I'll probably give it a try.

TheMopeSquad
Aug 5, 2013
I will watch that just to see Will Sasso, thanks.

edit: Watching Fear Street with the ridiculous barrage of 90's music reminded me of that show Cold Case and this MadTV sketch: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=haNCDofyZ4I though Will Sasso is not in this one, smh.

TheMopeSquad fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Jul 3, 2021

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
I can't emphasize enough how good Kevin can gently caress himself is. It's the most original thing i've watched on TV in years. I'm not sure why it's not bigger.

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

I saw the trailer and was intrigued, but I sort of assumed it wouldn't be able to deliver on the concept.

What do you like about it?

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang
The Tomorrow War is kind of okay, nothing spectacular, but also nothing that egregiously insulted my intelligence. But, Jesus, it really didn't know how to introduce it's characters without them having to verbally describe their traits to the audience. The movie didn't need to have Chris Pratt clumsily describing his war resume when the short piece of dialogue before the time jump where his buddy asks him if he's a vet and he replies "yes" basically said everything that needed to be said. Also for a movie that was trying so hard to say that scientists are an important part of human civilization, the actual science in the movie was really really loving bad.

However, the middle portion that takes place in the future is probably the best depiction of Terran vs. Zerg that I've ever seen on screen, so I'll give them credit for that. The creatures were legit scary, and they did a good job of showing how modern civilization could be defeated by creatures that literally had no technology.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

anatomi posted:

I saw the trailer and was intrigued, but I sort of assumed it wouldn't be able to deliver on the concept.

What do you like about it?

I don't want to give too much of it away but it's just super original and it hits on a lot of the things that you're actually thinking about (or at least I am) when I watch a show like the ones it's parodying. It's almost a horror genre show. Not sure how long the premise can carry but from what I've seen so far it hits hard.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Amazon's Hunters can't decide if it's a serious drama or every so often grindhouse. Last episode the writing team and editors just say gently caress it and start compressing time and leaving out scenes

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!

mcmagic posted:

I can't emphasize enough how good Kevin can gently caress himself is. It's the most original thing i've watched on TV in years. I'm not sure why it's not bigger.

Well....it's only been on for a few weeks. But I need to check it out. Sean Clements of Hollywood Handbook (podcast) fame(?) is an executive producer and a writer.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:
The Tomorrow War is really not good, the acting is really really bad (with the exception of JK Simmons), the science montages are filmed like they are from a bad 90s tv show and the movie itself feels like it's several different movies cut together but holy poo poo the future war scenes filled me with a sense of dread that I haven't felt from a movie in some time. Its an almost recommend just for that (but holy poo poo it's so long...)

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

B-Rock452 posted:

The Tomorrow War is really not good, the acting is really really bad (with the exception of JK Simmons), the science montages are filmed like they are from a bad 90s tv show and the movie itself feels like it's several different movies cut together but holy poo poo the future war scenes filled me with a sense of dread that I haven't felt from a movie in some time. Its an almost recommend just for that (but holy poo poo it's so long...)

It's amazing how J.K Simmons can take about 6 lines of bad dialogue and a humdrum action sequence and still somehow turn in a performance that feels legitimately good.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005

Alchenar posted:

It's amazing how J.K Simmons can take about 6 lines of bad dialogue and a humdrum action sequence and still somehow turn in a performance that feels legitimately good.

And compare Chris Pratt's acting with when he first meets him to the scene right after where he is talking to his daughter. Simmons definitely pulled Pratt up closer to his level because holy poo poo the daughter scene was like something out of a high school play.

MajorBonnet
May 28, 2009

How did I get here?
The thing that got me with Tomorrow War, and similar movies, is that the armed forces are still using small caliber weapons. You don't take an M16 to hunt elephants. If these aliens are barely flinching at small arms fire I would like to believe we're smart enough as a species to upgrade.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
I thought that several times as well, like when they showed ammo in the mags I just kept thinking why weren't they using green tipped armor piercing rounds

Edit god why am I even trying to analyze this movie.

B-Rock452 fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Jul 3, 2021

MajorBonnet
May 28, 2009

How did I get here?
It could've used a Burt Gummer cameo. He walks in with an elephant gun and blasts a couple apart, refuses to elaborate, and leaves.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

B-Rock452 posted:

Edit god why am I even trying to analyze this movie.

I spent most of my time trying to list the films they were badly ripping off.

One of the things that was really weird to me was how in the first Act there's this quite well done reveal of the 'rules' of time travel and implication that a lot the things are being done that look stupid are actually forced choices on the powers that be to avoid paradoxes (which two characters then spell out in dialogue because the film knows that only complete idiots are watching)... and then that's dropped completely.

First it's the Edge of Tomorrow, then Battlefield:LA, then World War Z, then a bit Promethius/Alien, then the finale is stolen from AvP.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Alchenar posted:

I spent most of my time trying to list the films they were badly ripping off.

One of the things that was really weird to me was how in the first Act there's this quite well done reveal of the 'rules' of time travel and implication that a lot the things are being done that look stupid are actually forced choices on the powers that be to avoid paradoxes (which two characters then spell out in dialogue because the film knows that only complete idiots are watching)... and then that's dropped completely.

First it's the Edge of Tomorrow, then Battlefield:LA, then World War Z, then a bit Promethius/Alien, then the finale is stolen from AvP.

My biggest issue with it is that they're able to quickly convince the entire world to band together and send soldiers to the future, but there's no way they can convince everyone to squash it in the present. Yeah there's the line of "The UN will talk about it forever", but come on...

I would have even been fine with "Well, the US Army is on board so we're sending a squad in with you, but we want to keep it quiet so China and Russia don't use it as a weapon" rather than the two soldiers. Oh well.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005

Medullah posted:

My biggest issue with it is that they're able to quickly convince the entire world to band together and send soldiers to the future, but there's no way they can convince everyone to squash it in the present. Yeah there's the line of "The UN will talk about it forever", but come on...

I would have even been fine with "Well, the US Army is on board so we're sending a squad in with you, but we want to keep it quiet so China and Russia don't use it as a weapon" rather than the two soldiers. Oh well.

I mean or they have that toxin now so how is Pratt able to walk off a military base with it instead of turning it over to the military who then spends the next thirty years making a shitload of weapons with it and then the war is over in a half day

MajorBonnet
May 28, 2009

How did I get here?
I choose to believe that according to the earlier established timeline rules where coming back to the past and loving it up had no effect on the future in the first place that they actually had no effect on the future. By uncovering the alien vessel they triggered a distress signal that simply takes a while to answer at intergalactic scales.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Tomorrow War seems like the sort of thing that was a really good elevator pitch or maybe even the first script was good, but the studio needed to four-quadrant everything and make sure it had Broad Appeal and turn it into something very generic.

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

I really enjoyed the first third of the movie. Seeing all the average joes either rising the occasion or getting dead was sort of Edge of Tomorrow/Cameron-esque. I wish they would have kept with that instead. It's the second movie this year pulling a lot from Aliens.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Medullah posted:

So I was actually kinda on board with that because at that point as far as everyone is concerned humanity definitely goes extinct with no way to change things so it's a bit end-times and I can see how there would be mass hysteria if you knew in 30 years time everyone was definitely getting eaten.

The problem is the same problem with the whole film, which is that it is structured *person looks at screen and explains what the next action sequence is*/*action sequence*/*literally skip forwards a couple of days*/*person looks at screen and explains what the next action sequence is*. Nothing naturally flows from one scene to the next, there's several action sequences that are edited in memory montage style where there's skipped beats between moments except that's not what's happening, it's like someone deliberately set out to make something mediocre.

e^^ oh yeah, the way the first two acts look like its going to be an ensemble story and then they literally march Pratt's sidekicks off at gunpoint because they couldn't fit them into the genre shift in the middle third.

Alchenar fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Jul 3, 2021

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

"Too long, doesn't really make sense, great monster design, pulls a lot from Aliens" definitely sounds familiar this year.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Anyone else get tired of monsters and aliens in movies nowadays sounding all the same?

Also Chris Pratt doesn’t blink in this movie.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

All I could think of when looking at the aliens was that one of the designers played D&D

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!
I like Chris Pratt. But the line in the trailer.....something about how if he's got to save the world to save his daughter....he was going to do it? Holy cliche monster. Did a computer write the script?

Quebec Bagnet
Apr 28, 2009

mess with the honk
you get the bonk
Lipstick Apathy

Medullah posted:

Alchenar posted:

e^^ oh yeah, the way the first two acts look like its going to be an ensemble story and then they literally march Pratt's sidekicks off at gunpoint because they couldn't fit them into the genre shift in the middle third.

I think the movie I actually wanted to see was something like "The Expendables versus future aliens" which the marketing and everything up to the airstrike led me to believe it was.

Quebec Bagnet fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Jul 4, 2021

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

^^ Yes exactly

Goddamn Fear Street smashes a lot of music together in a short amount of time. At first I was digging the chunky shoes and black light store but it went nostalgia overload incredibly fast.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
I didn't hate The Tomorrow War, but maybe just because I'm a Yvonne Strahovski fan. If you ignore all the time travel causality poo poo it's a fun movie.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

magiccarpet posted:

^^ Yes exactly

Goddamn Fear Street smashes a lot of music together in a short amount of time. At first I was digging the chunky shoes and black light store but it went nostalgia overload incredibly fast.

Licensing “Insane in the Brain” to play ten seconds of it so you can interrupt it with twenty seconds of “Creep” is certainly a way to spend money.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

STAC Goat posted:

"Too long, doesn't really make sense, great monster design, pulls a lot from Aliens" definitely sounds familiar this year.

Hell I just rewatched Mimic last night, Alien/Aliens has been foundational for a while. (It's also probably Guillermo Del Toro's worst movie).

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Anonymous Zebra posted:

The Tomorrow War is kind of okay, nothing spectacular, but also nothing that egregiously insulted my intelligence. But, Jesus, it really didn't know how to introduce it's characters without them having to verbally describe their traits to the audience. The movie didn't need to have Chris Pratt clumsily describing his war resume when the short piece of dialogue before the time jump where his buddy asks him if he's a vet and he replies "yes" basically said everything that needed to be said. Also for a movie that was trying so hard to say that scientists are an important part of human civilization, the actual science in the movie was really really loving bad.

However, the middle portion that takes place in the future is probably the best depiction of Terran vs. Zerg that I've ever seen on screen, so I'll give them credit for that. The creatures were legit scary, and they did a good job of showing how modern civilization could be defeated by creatures that literally had no technology.

Knowing may be half the battle, but extreme violence is the other half. Those aliens put all their points in extreme violence.

The more I think about it, the more this movie does actually egregiously insult my intelligence. Coming to the past to get more untrained cannon fodder is just really damned dumb. I can think of three better strategies for winning that war with time travel, and nipping it in the bud, without trying.

Like, not even just, "Let's use this time in the past to prepare better for them in the future.... even how about "Let's build another time beacon and jump back ANOTHER 30 years, really prepare hard, then take THOSE assets to the future. I mean, holy poo poo........... what's the point of taking a guy still in his baker's hat to the meat grinder war? It gets dumber the more I think about it.

There's a reason this movie wasn't released when it was finished, and sold to amazon.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
Tomorrow War and Fear Street both kept me entertained but TWs ending was silly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Dog
Jul 25, 2007

GORDON posted:

Knowing may be half the battle, but extreme violence is the other half. Those aliens put all their points in extreme violence.

The more I think about it, the more this movie does actually egregiously insult my intelligence. Coming to the past to get more untrained cannon fodder is just really damned dumb. I can think of three better strategies for winning that war with time travel, and nipping it in the bud, without trying.

Like, not even just, "Let's use this time in the past to prepare better for them in the future.... even how about "Let's build another time beacon and jump back ANOTHER 30 years, really prepare hard, then take THOSE assets to the future. I mean, holy poo poo........... what's the point of taking a guy still in his baker's hat to the meat grinder war? It gets dumber the more I think about it.

There's a reason this movie wasn't released when it was finished, and sold to amazon.

I was convinced that the future people had a hidden agenda, and that their actual plan was to depopulate the present and weaken our armed forces so that they could just resettle our time period with future refugees. That would fit better with the theme of the present generation loving over the future generation through global warming. They would be loving us right back.

I also found it odd that Chris Pratt didn't actually accomplish anything in the future and didn't even receive any pivotal information there. The ending would have played out the same if he just hid the whole time like Sam Richardson. The chemical warfare thing wasn't needed, the fact that the first attack was in Russia would have been already known, and the claw they studied was taken from a guy in the present. A bit bizarre. I wouldn't be surprised if this was substantially rewritten.