Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
a month of having your party system totally hosed is really pretty lovely. I assume since that problem is limited to PC the Epic store friends system being poo poo is involved but still cmon

especially considering they knew it was broken even before launch in the beta

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DropTheAnvil
May 16, 2021

Captain Beans posted:

a month of having your party system totally hosed is really pretty lovely. I assume since that problem is limited to PC the Epic store friends system being poo poo is involved but still cmon

Me and my friends found a semi-reliable way of partying up. Been working for a few times now:

Dont have chivalry 2 launched
Go to epic game store, make sure nobody is friends with anyone (Unfriend people if you must)
Launch Chivalry 2
Friend your friend in epic game store
Person who SENT friend request needs to send party invite

have you seen my baby
Nov 22, 2009

Captain Beans posted:

the conspiracy theory is that they did it intentionally to stop groups of experienced genre players from pubstomping the game to death on release

have you seen my baby
Nov 22, 2009

also apparently you can jump over oil pots and not get burned

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

have you seen my baby posted:

also apparently you can jump over oil pots and not get burned

Alternatively, just run right through and start swinging while on fire for extra :black101: points

Unrelated, reminder that the ballistas in Coxwell do turn that far

https://i.imgur.com/4J0iCpK.mp4

(sound on)

School Nickname
Apr 23, 2010

*fffffff-fffaaaaaaarrrtt*
:ussr:
Has anyone else tried to main the Two-Handed Hammer as Vanguard while still holding onto their Dane Axe cannon? Practicing with it at the moment, but I feel that in good hands it will poo poo all over Knights.

Yeah comboed slashs after a hit are almost immediate with it, lol.

School Nickname fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Jul 3, 2021

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman

have you seen my baby posted:

the conspiracy theory is that they did it intentionally to stop groups of experienced genre players from pubstomping the game to death on release

That's fair I reckon. This game gets pretty dire when there's a big skill imbalance on teams.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

Schneider Inside Her posted:

That's fair I reckon. This game gets pretty dire when there's a big skill imbalance on teams.

Isn't this a PC only problem

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
I play on PS4 and you'll still get games that are stomps. Dunno if it's people grouping up or just luck of the draw

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

Theres plenty of stomps on PC, not making letting me join with my friends in a game where fighting together is largely more dangerous to allies than enemies is not a benefit

Theres a p much 0% chance they broke the matchmaking intentionally, because companies that actually operate based on their intent not their level of capability don't delete their own weapons due to balance or buggery

Worf fucked around with this message at 10:22 on Jul 3, 2021

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man

School Nickname posted:

Has anyone else tried to main the Two-Handed Hammer as Vanguard while still holding onto their Dane Axe cannon? Practicing with it at the moment, but I feel that in good hands it will poo poo all over Knights.

Yeah comboed slashs after a hit are almost immediate with it, lol.

Yes. it owns. It also has the same sprint attack (the 60 degree slash) as the dane axe but with a wider reach and it does like 150 damage to knights. I personally had been doing 2h hammer + messer since i started with knight messer but i've been trying 2h hammer + dane ax and it's so good lol

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Statutory Ape posted:

Theres plenty of stomps on PC, not making letting me join with my friends in a game where fighting together is largely more dangerous to allies than enemies is not a benefit

Theres a p much 0% chance they broke the matchmaking intentionally, because companies that actually operate based on their intent not their level of capability don't delete their own weapons due to balance or buggery

Tbf fighting in a group is only a liability because people are bad at it. 2-3 people working together that actually coordinated would probably shred things.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Stop feeding side swing counters in group fights.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Today was a day for dismemberments.

https://i.imgur.com/SIfSNmz.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/LeBbz0A.mp4

That shrug :allears:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

lol that was a very "...well that sure happened" kinda shrug

(e) who the hell gets dismembered and does a runner tho :catstare:

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
This probably will only have an real effect on "Double Dane Axe" players. But I just realized, there seems to be some quirks with Vanguard's weapon cosmetics because they are the only ones who can double up on the same weapon.

I finally splurged on a new Dane axe with the alternate model, and realized if you go double dane axe the second one is still the default model. I expect I probably would have noticed sooner if I didn't spend 99% of the time in 1st person as opposed to roughly 50/50 in past games :v:

Trying out double daggers (how did this end up my highest rank weapon?) my first one is the fancy velvet and gold one, and the second dagger is the previous dagger model I had bought (Same model, less fancy texture). So maybe it is using some odd "The PREVIOUS cosmetic you had used will be your doubled up weapon model" deal?

On a lighter note, seems that Vanguard dagger is the basis of the suicide animation. So while everyone else is stuck with the default rusty dagger, A vanguard kills himself with style.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
"Well, I tried."

Section Z posted:

This probably will only have an real effect on "Double Dane Axe" players. But I just realized, there seems to be some quirks with Vanguard's weapon cosmetics because they are the only ones who can double up on the same weapon.

Oh hell, somehow I never noticed this until now, but you're right. You can actually see it in this clip:

https://i.imgur.com/OIxhR8Q.mp4
Not a huge deal imo, I don't find the cosmetics in this game that exciting anyways.

And speaking of clips, here's a dump of some random poo poo I've been capturing. Now with assorted metal music or stream chatter included. (I'll not embed them so as to not bloat the thread with too many thumbnails)

The bots in this game are really, really bad.
I have no idea what this was about but it was funny as poo poo at the time.
Dealing With Archers dot mp4
Short sword is real loving good
I saw this going differently in my head
NEVER STOP SWINGING :black101:

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Phobeste posted:

Yes. it owns. It also has the same sprint attack (the 60 degree slash) as the dane axe but with a wider reach and it does like 150 damage to knights. I personally had been doing 2h hammer + messer since i started with knight messer but i've been trying 2h hammer + dane ax and it's so good lol

I need to try this. The main downside I can see is that I'd feel like I need to be a bit more careful with just chucking the Dane Axe because it's also your weapon for fighting groups.

School Nickname
Apr 23, 2010

*fffffff-fffaaaaaaarrrtt*
:ussr:
Cut/Chop weapon slashes having almost 360 degree hits is infuriating when you're using a blunt weapon and directly behind the slash spammer. It seems blunt weapons are just relegated to flanking weapons vs Knights.

Game also needs more aggressive autobalance loving badly.

School Nickname fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Jul 4, 2021

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

Ravenfood posted:

I need to try this. The main downside I can see is that I'd feel like I need to be a bit more careful with just chucking the Dane Axe because it's also your weapon for fighting groups.

You can use the hammer for fighting groups but you have to be really careful and accel absolutely everything and dodge all the time because your only real way to manage momentum is counters. But it's also worth noting that heavy attacks do cleave, it's just the light attacks that stop

cerebral
Oct 24, 2002

School Nickname posted:

Cut/Chop weapon slashes having almost 360 degree hits is infuriating when you're using a blunt weapon and directly behind the slash spammer. It seems blunt weapons are just relegated to flanking weapons vs Knights.

Game also needs more aggressive autobalance loving badly.

I agree that there are a lot of slashing weapons that can do damage in way too big of an arc, but I think you're selling blunt weapons short. The lack of cleave on light hits is an advantage because the hit bonks off the target and resets for the next swing quicker than a cleaving weapon that has to go through the target before resetting. The tempo changes between the light hits that bonk and the heavy hits that cleave really seem to mess with people too. The two handed mace, morning star, war club and mace all take advantage of that extra speed and the tempo changes to great effect.

The fact that they tear knights apart is a nice bonus.

Here's a streamer showing what the warclub can do: https://twitch.tv/videos/1075985666?t=2926s

cerebral fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Jul 4, 2021

Cool Post Beg
Mar 6, 2008

DADDY MAGIC
Leading an encounter by throwing the fuckin primary at your opponents head is still hitting for me as one of the most badass feelings in a mp game

I've definitely been swayed towards the church of double dane. Nothing better feeling than seeing your enemy charge you after a throw, thinking you're empty handed and then they are eating axe2

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Phobeste posted:

But it's also worth noting that heavy attacks do cleave, it's just the light attacks that stop

Wait what

Does that work for all blunt weapons? Because that's a game changer if I ever heard one, especially if you can heavy counter or heavy riposte. The polehammer is already one of my favorite weapons despite the fact I always had trouble with groups, but if I can powerswing through multiple people then :getin:

cerebral posted:

The lack of cleave on light hits is an advantage because the hit bonks off the target and resets for the next swing quicker than a cleaving weapon that has to go through the target before resetting.

Yeah the quick blunt weapons are just bonk-bonk-bonk oh someone died. I love the morningstar despite the horrible range, and I am so close to unlocking the mace :black101:

TorakFade fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Jul 4, 2021

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

its really good fun tricking knights into dueling you in TO and then just giving them the triple mace swing while they panic

Estel
May 4, 2010
I finally unlocked the throwing axes for the skirmisher and they are fun. People don't expect an axe to the face when they attack someone with an axe and shield.

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

TorakFade posted:

Wait what

Does that work for all blunt weapons? Because that's a game changer if I ever heard one, especially if you can heavy counter or heavy riposte. The polehammer is already one of my favorite weapons despite the fact I always had trouble with groups, but if I can powerswing through multiple people then :getin:

Yup but it's just the heavy normal attacks the specials dont cleave either

Exodee
Mar 30, 2011

Hello? Anyone in there?

Welp, thank you thread. The heavy mace is my new favorite weapon now that I know it can cleave :black101:

https://i.imgur.com/VVTreTy.mp4

Chuds McGreedy
Aug 26, 2007

Jumanji
I just found out you can customize your shields. Call me Joey Bedazzled Shields ova hea’

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Exodee posted:

Welp, thank you thread. The heavy mace is my new favorite weapon now that I know it can cleave :black101:

https://i.imgur.com/VVTreTy.mp4

good poo poo

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Definitely can't make the 2handed hammer work yet, but also the 340-degree swing people can take with slashing weapons is a bit much.

Exodee
Mar 30, 2011

Hello? Anyone in there?

The 2-handed hammer feels like a worse polehammer to me, in every single way. Granted, you can only take the polehammer on a footman, but it's not like that's a disadvantage or anything; they can take the shortsword as a secondary after all.

Speaking of which, I think the shortsword is way too good to be classified as a mere sidearm :v:
https://i.imgur.com/uMCDybg.mp4

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

Now armed with the knowledge that heavy attacks can cleave with blunt weapons, I've found that the war mace heavy slash will kill a bot in 1 hit, which leads to killing sprees such as this:

https://i.imgur.com/B2yU9Gl.mp4
https://i.imgur.com/vFx0GSt.mp4

(also :lol: at the dismembered heads when you have the gore turned off, you can see it towards the end of the first clip)

cerebral
Oct 24, 2002

Exodee posted:

The 2-handed hammer feels like a worse polehammer to me, in every single way. Granted, you can only take the polehammer on a footman, but it's not like that's a disadvantage or anything; they can take the shortsword as a secondary after all.

Speaking of which, I think the shortsword is way too good to be classified as a mere sidearm :v:

I agree about the 2h hammer. I can't think of a single time where I'd choose it over any of the other options available to me.

The short sword is ridiculously good and one of the weapons that gives me a sense of dread when I see coming at me. Usually my thought process is something like, "Short sword! gently caress! Remember to jab, gotta jab! Missed the jab, oh gently caress! Jab again! Missed the jab! Dodge! gently caress, I'm dead."

Every sword is very good in this game, but Short Sword might just be the best.

Exodee
Mar 30, 2011

Hello? Anyone in there?

Yeah, I think the shortsword is so fast that it can even completely ignore initiative against the slower weapons and go ham against them. Which, to be frank, is completely bonkers; it can literally ignore the game's own rules. (e: granted, this only works against like the halberd and maul but still)

bees everywhere posted:

(also :lol: at the dismembered heads when you have the gore turned off, you can see it towards the end of the first clip)
Are those cabbages? I was wondering how they'd handle the discrepancy (what with being able to throw heads and all) but that's pretty funny. Also how did you get your compressed imgur videos to be so smooth? :)

Exodee fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Jul 6, 2021

cerebral
Oct 24, 2002

Exodee posted:

Yeah, I think the shortsword is so fast that it can even completely ignore initiative against the slower weapons and go ham against them. Which, to be frank, is completely bonkers; it can literally ignore the game's own rules.

It's probably on the list for an adjustment for just this reason, but it is a very good weapon to teach people to maintain distance, because that's the only way you're going to reliably beat a short sword user with a longer, slower weapon. They are very beatable though if you maintain that distance. Every swing in this game moves you slightly forward UNLESS you crouch during the swing, so when I see a short sword user charging at me, the first thing I do is take a big heavy swing as soon as I think I can hit him, and I crouch in the middle of it. Even if they block, they go back a little bit, and I don't go forward, so I can take at least one more good whack at them from range. I may not slip either of these hits through their block, but I've already reduced their stamina by quite a bit.

Then it's just a matter of what disappears first, their stamina, or my health, and if I can maintain distance and I don't get greedy, it'll be their stamina.

TLDR: Crouching at any time during a swing, thrust, or overhead means you don't move forward with said swing, thrust, or overhead and allows you to maintain distance.

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

Exodee posted:

Are those cabbages? I was wondering how they'd handle the discrepancy (what with being able to throw heads and all) but that's pretty funny. Also how did you get your compressed imgur videos to be so smooth? :)

Yep, cabbages! And I'm on a Series X so that's could be something to do with it, I'm using the "record what happened" feature, downloading the videos off the windows "xbox console companion" app and uploading straight to imgur.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Exodee posted:

I can understand a vibe of "Two handed hammer not QUITE as good as the pole hammer" because the pole hammer is supposed to be a big deal signature weapon for the Poleman subclass, while the two-handed hammer is the toy everybody else gets. It is still a very nice blunt weapon of the "wait, when did I get over rank so high with this?" variety.

This in turn, is why I am so :sigh: over the pole AXE feeling lackluster outside of a spreadsheet. Because it is a big axe on a stick. Hitting people with light swings on a two handed hammer is still satisfying. While light swings on the pole axe feel like a pool noodle, and has a weaker special attacks weaker than the two handed hammer's heavy over hands universally because...?.

Though I can understand the bias considering the polehammer used to be a vanguard exclusive in Chiv 1. So of course you expect the vanguard to have a monopoly on "The best big blunt weapons" rather than it just being pleasantly strong. But then, Vanguard stole the maul from the knight this time around :v:

As for the "Shortsword too good?" mantra, I have found that the Hatchet really earns the fact it's cosmetics are thousands more expensive than the short sword. Short sword is very nice, but it can't universally two shot every single class in the game with a heavy overhand :black101:

I know the short sword is more meta friendly and legit (over?)powerful for it's class. But I hate going back to it on any subclass that can take a hatchet instead now. Though I think that "Side arms can be good too, you know." is an important mindset to have though if you want to kill people pulling any of them out. So many people ignoring this and expecting any and all small sidearms to be a desperate joke weapon is probably why I got away with so many throwing mallet kills. Which goes back to the joke about expecting Vangaurd to have all the best blunt toys to himself.

"Hey. how come the vanguard has sole ownership of the carpentry mallet, on top of the usual knife. Shouldn't engineer have this instead of zero secondary weapons?" "uh... Well, you see.... Shovel OP." I would gladly accept big nerfs to the mean old "joke weapon" if engineer got throwing mallets out of it.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Jul 6, 2021

Exodee
Mar 30, 2011

Hello? Anyone in there?

Section Z posted:

I can understand a vibe of "Two handed hammer not QUITE as good as the pole hammer" because the pole hammer is supposed to be a big deal signature weapon for the Poleman subclass, while the two-handed hammer is the toy everybody else gets. It is still a very nice blunt weapon of the "wait, when did I get over rank so high with this?" variety.

This in turn, is why I am so :sigh: over the pole AXE feeling lackluster outside of a spreadsheet. Because it is a big axe on a stick. Hitting people with light swings on a two handed hammer is still satisfying. While light swings on the pole axe feel like a pool noodle, and has a weaker special attacks weaker than the two handed hammer's heavy over hands universally because...?.
It's true that one's a signature weapon, but since you can pick up weapons from the ground in this game (unlike in chiv 1) I feel like weapons need to stand out on their own a little bit more. But you're right that this is probably what they're going for, yeah.
edit: Not to mention that the classes are way more similar to one another, this time around.

I disagree about the pole-axe being lackluster though. Personally when I treated it more like a sword-like weapon than an axe or polearm it clicked for me; like a sword it is very easy to control, allowing you to drag it around like crazy while having really good reach.

... Although I do agree that it doesn't really feel that good to use, since it has so little momentum in its swings and lacks the satisfying impact of axes and blunt weapons. It's why I prefer using the heavy mace over it.

bees everywhere posted:

Yep, cabbages! And I'm on a Series X so that's could be something to do with it, I'm using the "record what happened" feature, downloading the videos off the windows "xbox console companion" app and uploading straight to imgur.
Oh drat, I'm on PC and when using a similar feature of my videocard the clips end up being around a hundred MB, which I then need to compress. Guess I'll just need to find a better compressing tool then. :)

Exodee fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Jul 6, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cerebral
Oct 24, 2002

The glaring weakness of the poleaxe for me is its special. 87 against a knight when the polehammer special does 150? gently caress that noise. All the damage values (minus the stab) feel just a bit under-tuned. Honestly it may be the weapon that I find the most disappointing.