Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

AnimeIsTrash posted:

move along home

coincidentally, the only ds9 episode I've ever seen. somehow I've never been motivated to seek out the rest

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
yeah season 1 of ds9, like most serialized shows, is mostly about setting up a larger political environment for the bigger conflicts later. agreed with johnny that season 3 is where it gets good. enough time to have characters that you now care about getting into poo poo that’s over their head.

watching the shameful nerd show babylon 5 right now and while it’s also a space station that ends up as a hub of a huge space war it’s very different, but they both get pretty good amd have actual important stuff happening by season 3

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Jonny 290 posted:

i used to dislike keiko but she's one of the most reasonable and human people on ds9. obrien's kind of an rear end in a top hat. that being said they do the best they can and its probably the most realistic relationship depicted in all of trek

as a potato-headed irishman married to a more successful japanese lady i can relate

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

as a potato-headed irishman married to a more successful japanese lady i can relate

lolll

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
babylon 5 is fun because of all the main cast members who you can recognize in minor uncredited tng/ds9/voyager appearances.

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008

AnimeIsTrash posted:

move along home

Move Along Home is just a horribly misplaced TOS episode.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

EIDE Van Hagar posted:

babylon 5 is fun because of all the main cast members who you can recognize in minor uncredited tng/ds9/voyager appearances.

or when brian cranston or bishop brennan turn up out of the blue

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
like, the lost in space kid who is there when nog loses a leg in ds9

and

was crusher’s stunt tng stunt double and is in like every trek iteration

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
to be fair regarding Space Jam 2’s Matrix parody, they thought part 4 would have been out shortly before it so the nostalgia grab is at least timely

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

EIDE Van Hagar posted:

season 3 is where it gets good

lol Star Trek fans always say stuff like this

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

indigi posted:

lol Star Trek fans always say stuff like this

i mean, isn’t this the case for many tv shows? characters all acting correctly for their motivations and personality and all the production kinks being ironed out. especially 20+ episodes a season 90s tv shows

less so with modern prestige tv where you spend the budget on 8 episodes, and maybe with comedies

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

EIDE Van Hagar posted:

i mean, isn’t this the case for many tv shows?

I don’t know, I’ve never watched 25 hours of something waiting for it to get good

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we have sealed ourselves away behind our money, growing inward, generating a seamless universe of self.
the thing about these old syndicated shows is there weren't a lot of choices on when they were airing, and they've been replayed for going on 30 years.

with tng at least you can just drop in and watch an episode from wherever, same with TOS and probably voyager. there's no need to "invest" time in watching episodes you don't like because there's absolutely no payoff to doing so and it won't affect your understanding of anything that happens in any other episode

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we have sealed ourselves away behind our money, growing inward, generating a seamless universe of self.
it didn't matter that star trek is like 70% bad by volume, because up until ds9 you could just watch the stuff you liked and ignore the rest. they broke that formula with the long story arcs, and star trek writers being what they are, no one has managed to make it work since

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

infernal machines posted:

the thing about these old syndicated shows is there weren't a lot of choices on when they were airing, and they've been replayed for going on 30 years.

with tng at least you can just drop in and watch an episode from wherever, same with TOS and probably voyager. there's no need to "invest" time in watching episodes you don't like because there's absolutely no payoff to doing so and it won't affect your understanding of anything that happens in any other episode

yeah there is an awkward teen phase to serialized tv in the 90s for sure where it’s half episodic and half serial plot.

but for most of these that are pre-dvr I just never watched them on broadcast tv because making sure you’re there for a certain time each week just isn’t worth it when that week might not address the actual plot and the monster of the week stuff can really be hit or miss. and i have never watched syndicated reruns of any of them for the same reason.

over the last year when you can stream them all and everyone’s been been working from home and not able to see many friends, though? there’s plenty of time to put them all on in the intended order back to back, even if it’s during the work day and i am only half paying attention. the filler just kinda melts into the background while i am doing work or laundry or cooking or whatever and i can pay attention during the good parts. 🤷🏼‍♂️

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

infernal machines posted:

the thing about these old syndicated shows is there weren't a lot of choices on when they were airing

sure but I’m not fondly posting about Charles in Charge or whatever other garbage I consumed after my homework

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

move along home rules. the only bad part of ds9 is the pah wraith stuff

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

watching the sex ghost tng ep right now btw lol

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Achmed Jones posted:

omg lol yeah that one

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Achmed Jones posted:

tng is still the horniest trek iteration

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

EIDE Van Hagar posted:

tng is still the horniest trek iteration

It has the most trek babes.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Achmed Jones posted:

The pah wraith stuff felt like they had to end Dukat's and Sisko's arc so it was quickly done. One of the potential endings they were thinking about was a LOST style one where Ben wakes up and realizes it was all just a dream.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Achmed Jones posted:

whenever this bitch shows up

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

the more you hate her the better job she’s doing as that character

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
kai winn rules. its nice to have antagonists that are fun to hate

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
also with all the trek brain pollutants when we went to the lady bird johnson wildflower center a little while ago, it’s got extremely 90s glass sculptures all over the place so it’s perfect for “welcome to risa enjoy your stay” jokes

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
odo is a quisling

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK

SmokaDustbowl posted:

odo is a quisling

odo is a fascist quisling

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
working people until they break: it's not just for warehouse drones any more

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

MrQueasy posted:

odo is a fascist quisling

well yeah that's what a quisling is homie

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

I believe you mean this bitch

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

ugh

also that budget holy poo poo, i know inflation but dayum

also 5 seasons

also lol, kiwi

quote:

The only stunt performer who went on the record with the Herald about safety concerns, though, was Thomas Kiwi, who previously filmed on several of Peter Jackson’s Lord Of The Rings and Hobbit movies.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

EIDE Van Hagar posted:

also with all the trek brain pollutants when we went to the lady bird johnson wildflower center a little while ago, it’s got extremely 90s glass sculptures all over the place so it’s perfect for “welcome to risa enjoy your stay” jokes

they got a Bad Dragon just out like that? seems to be in poor taste

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

this show is gonna suck so loving bad

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

Achmed Jones posted:

last night i was reading a particularly erotic passage in my grandmother's diary

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VgLkk_drx4

cyberpunk owns

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Truman Peyote posted:

last night i was reading a particularly erotic passage in my grandmother's diary

post it and pics of her

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

did nz ever roll back any of the worker loving legislation they passed after wb got scared (of lost profits) during the filming of the hobbit and threatened to pull out?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wwGakTUnxK8&t=57s