Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Skyrim also had the hearthfire expansion, and fallout 4 is miles better than that. So it's certainly a feature they have tried before in some way or another but fallout 4 is the first time they really got it working well, honestly it's a feature I hope is in all subsequent games because it scratches the same itch as decorating places in morrowind with the precision placement system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

OwlFancier posted:

the general idea of "you can build stuff" which is like, a central narrative theme of the entire franchise

ye gods

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

I didn't think it was even controversial that new Fallout games look at successful past mods to incorporate as features? I know both Obsidian and Bethesda have explicitly confirmed that they did this.

I mean, for that matter, every game does this. Sure, you make new features, you plan, sketch, do mockups, but at some point you run into a problem or have a design goal you want to hit, then think, "Wait, didn't this other game/mod have the same problem and solve it in a way that suits us?"

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Plus there's the whole modder-to-employee pipeline that happens sometimes. Do you really expect companies that hire former modders to explicitly avoid integrating ideas mods worked out the kinks of?

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Skwirl posted:

The issue is acknowledgement can lead to lawsuits. When JK Rowling does book signings there's a person paid to be there to intercept any fan fiction someone tries to hand her so if coincidently there's a similarity between what's in there and what she writes she has people to testify that she never read it.

I used to think this kind of thing was a cautious hypothetical that never actually happened until I had the privilege of being the audience to someone who honestly thought some book series stole the premise of their fanfiction excitedly talking about "ruining them", so. There really are people like that out there.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

mycot posted:

I used to think this kind of thing was a cautious hypothetical that never actually happened until I had the privilege of being the audience to someone who honestly thought some book series stole the premise of their fanfiction excitedly talking about "ruining them", so. There really are people like that out there.
https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/sophia-stewart-matrix-lawsuit/

I also follow a lot of comic book writers and artists on twitter and several of them have made public statements of "don't tell me story ideas, if you do send me story ideas I will block you."

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJP79aLxRi8

Definitely on the Awesome side.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
Wait, does that have actual RTX implementation, like that one Quake 2 edition?

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Uhh... So you know that guy who had a meltdown about who counted as modders in Baldur's Gate? https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3795944&pagenumber=216&perpage=40#post515314978

He has continued to have an increasingly disjointed meltdown in posts that absolutely nobody seems to be replying to. Can we get a welfare check on Temnix or something?

https://www.gibberlings3.net/forums/topic/32856-its-so-strange-to-understand-that-this-was-all-just-a-teenagers-fanfic/

https://www.gibberlings3.net/forums/topic/32896-in-memory-of-beauty-and-imagination/

Have a short quote from each.

quote:

What I'm trying to find here, speaking out loud in a void, is a sort of fulcrum, a kind of foundation point that's eluding me, where style and content can come together without requiring the audience to be very young or primitive. I don't want to think that all imagination is a youthful mistake. Even the good writers I mentioned, even they... weren't they deluding themselves with their bold and intricate fabrications? Even they, weren't they victims of a temporary blindness, lasting while one is relatively young and healthy and strong and in touch with one's time and ways - and feeling immortal? After that ends, if one has become a professional in time, it's possible to dream away, professionally, until one's final days. But is that all there is? A short fest of delusion and then a redoubt to keep reality at bay?

This one is referring to the AD&D image he includes.

quote:

Who cares about the great causeway of Enlightenment? It has itself been enlightened away, though the eager beavers on the roadsides will continue painting up the signs. And they are a hopeless lot. But what do I like on this poster, what strikes me as true? 101000100: the red font of Advanced Dungeons&Dragons; her blonde hair, though not perfectly shaded; that jewel in her hands; the rings and bracelets - solid, firm, costly and quiet. The SSI design is also nice. Pictures like these are all alive, all people, like some kind of soylent. Every one is a dense jigsaw puzzle of packed inspiration, toil and innocence. I think it is time to weaponize the last.

I looked and the thing he refers to in the second post someone using WEIDU to make a Turing machine. This apparently prompted... that.

Oh, he also made a mod!

https://www.gibberlings3.net/forums/topic/32904-life-in-low-relief-mod-for-ee/

It's written in exactly the same meandering, flowery way. If I am not mistaken, this somehow causes different spots on the ground to affect people differently. I can't tell how it works or how you're supposed to know where to stand in a game in no way designed for it.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

I'll let the games mods know, thanks for the heads up.

Lol sorry, misread this as something that was happening on sa

sebmojo fucked around with this message at 12:19 on Jul 6, 2021

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

sebmojo posted:

I'll let the games mods know, thanks for the heads up.

Lol sorry, misread this as something that was happening on sa

No, let’s send a pacekeeping mission

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

goblin week posted:

Throw a giant paper airplane over to G3 that just says "Temnix: u ok?"

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

goblin week posted:

blue helmets with goatse on them, shaking down modders asking their views on stairs

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Shaking people's shoulders, asking them if they've done lsd

Mutant Headcrab
May 14, 2007
Can you please mod in this child-decapitating zipline please? Kthnx.

Fantastic Alice
Jan 23, 2012

Mutant Headcrab posted:

Can you please mod in this child-decapitating zipline please? Kthnx.

God the RIPline was great to learn about.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I decided to finally download a bunch of companion mods for Skyrim SE and between getting them on the 3rd and looking back at them today several have already been hidden or removed.

I have also learned that most companion modders put a fuckton of effort into clothing and dumb backstories but can't spellcheck for poo poo and have a really, really dumb sense of humor such that they make their overly talkative companions insufferable inside of 5 minutes. Holy poo poo.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

marshmallow creep posted:

I decided to finally download a bunch of companion mods for Skyrim SE and between getting them on the 3rd and looking back at them today several have already been hidden or removed.

I have also learned that most companion modders put a fuckton of effort into clothing and dumb backstories but can't spellcheck for poo poo and have a really, really dumb sense of humor such that they make their overly talkative companions insufferable inside of 5 minutes. Holy poo poo.

Lucien and Inigo were the only two companion mods I didn't hate.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
There was a woodelf I didn't hate either

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
I mean, we already have Lydia and Serana, what other companions do you really need?

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

I've never been interested in any companions for the Elder Scrolls series, and barely been into them for Fallout. At least there they have little mini quests to follow at some point. Don't see the appeal.

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler
who wore it better

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Planetwar for MTW2 continues to be...unique.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

King Vidiot posted:

I mean, we already have Lydia and Serana, what other companions do you really need?

Rufus

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
Last time I played skyrim I used some kinda skill tree overhaul mod.
One of the skills in one of the skill trees gave you a giant mudcrab companion that had a big-rear end carry capacity, no voice lines, didn't participate in combat, and came whenever you whistled.
That's basically the ideal skyrim companion. Just hold my heavy poo poo and get out of the way

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
The ideal companion is J'zargo, because he is a being of pure violence and will immediately kill everything in sight at the slightest provocation, much like the player themselves

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

One of the skills in one of the skill trees gave you a giant mudcrab companion that had a big-rear end carry capacity, no voice lines, didn't participate in combat, and came whenever you whistled.
That's basically the ideal skyrim companion. Just hold my heavy poo poo and get out of the way

Did he have a monocle and top hat?

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

Byzantine posted:

Did he have a monocle and top hat?

Did it have a banging set of tits?

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Angry Diplomat posted:

The ideal companion is J'zargo, because he is a being of pure violence and will immediately kill everything in sight at the slightest provocation, much like the player themselves

He's very forthcoming about it, too. I guess it comes with being a cat. The only other good TES companion is Adoring Fan from Oblivion.

StillFullyTerrible
Feb 16, 2020

you should have left Let's Play open for public view, Lowtax
and just like jesus, after three days the Adoring Fan will respawn after being killed

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Mordja posted:

Planetwar for MTW2 continues to be...unique.

Did it get another update recently? I loved how batshit Planet War was, the only mod where armies of cookie monster's could square off against Godzilla.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Please stop giving my wife unrealistic expectations

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

aniviron posted:

He's very forthcoming about it, too. I guess it comes with being a cat. The only other good TES companion is Adoring Fan from Oblivion.

Adoring Fan is great, I gave him a torch and he'd dutifully show up to light my way, even inside an oblivion gate.

For skyrim though, orkwife bestwife. She's even a vendor! And all you have to do to get her is have a boxing match.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
I dutifully modded that Skyrim so I could marry Deeja after I had the impulse to not kill her during the quest she is in. I pick pocketed the item off her instead and ran the gently caress away. Then she hung out on the docks and I felt sorry for her, so marriage it was.

"You want knives? Want them in your belly? No!? Then you stop talking to Deeja" :allears:

Kokoro Wish fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Jul 11, 2021

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Kokoro Wish posted:

I dutifully modded that Skyrim so I could marry Deeja after I had to impulse to not kill her during the quest she is in. I pick pocketed the item off her instead and ran the gently caress away. Then she hung out on the docks and I felt sorry for her, so marriage it was.

"You want knives? Want them in your belly? No!? Then you stop talking to Deeja" :allears:

Good taste

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Someone Modded Fallout New Vegas into a Complete Star Wars Open World Game

https://i.imgur.com/JrxjICq.mp4

quote:

I'm not involved in this project at all; however, I am familiar with some of the names in the project. I'm just hoping Disney and EA will be cool and let this mod get released. It's free, they're not making money, and they modeled everything.

Why is this a big deal? 1.) This entire thing runs on the Fallout New Vegas Engine which brings up point 2.) They did this using GECK (and other tools but mostly GECK) which is not an easy thing to do ... GECK has it's own issues too. 3.) It's something made purely out of love by a Star Wars fan for Star Wars fans or people interested in Star Wars. 4.) They're saying it's a Star Wars environment where you can do whatever you want, for whomever you want.

Either way this is freaking awesome and I hope they get a chance to release it.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Well now they’ve revealed it there’s a C&D on the way.

Why do modders keep doing this? Just release it when it’s ready and then it’s out there. Every time they try and do a pre-release hype thing they get shitcanned.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President
Hmm, yes, let me blast all over the internet how I am making Star Wars content for another game. Surely the House of Mouse, which has had zero chill, ever, will not slap their dick down on me this time like they have for every single one of these projects that they have ever taken notice of.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

I'm really not into star wars, but... wow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Reminds me how the Goldeneye levels were wiped out of the Far Cry 5 level editor after it went viral. Granted it was made in an engine that Ubisoft controls so...