Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

MourningView posted:

Reggie Bush was cooler and better than Vince Young and is right.

Reggie Bush was completely loving unfair in college.

Adun posted:

Or just pay a guy to wear Nike gear in all their Instagram posts

the other thing to watch is how many team rules about social media use are going to be flaunted by these guys and gals now. I think quite a few programs currently don't want their players using it at all. but yeah GD_American is right, the team rules could easily become a Title IX issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Poor Richt. It was obvious the job wasn't for him anymore toward the end, so he happily retires to eat Cheez-Balls on the beach and spend time with his family...and then his health fails him.

KKKLIP ART posted:

Yeah this sucks big time. However the poo poo went off the rails, he was a fine coach and pretty much universally loved by the community. I know most coaches are total shits, but he at least really seemed like an alright guy.

There are a lot of scenarios that would've kept him in Athens IMO. Since NIL is the word of the day, Todd Gurley not being put on the shelf for half of '14 is one of them.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
https://247sports.com/college/tennessee/Article/Tennessee-Vols-Football-NIL-Name-Image-Likeness-Players-Deals-Active-First-Day-167289465

247 put out an article talking about what different UT athletes were doing since the NIL stuff opened up. It’s your basic stuff like Cameo, game apps, endorsements, things like that until I got to this part:

quote:

Walk-on wide receiver Grant Frerking is already an established businessman. He's the CEO of Metro Straw, a multi-million dollar pine straw and mulch installation company that services residential and commercial customers in a region ranging from Atlanta to Charlotte to Nashville. Frerking, a fifth-year senior who joined the Vols in 2017, on Thursday had two of his teammates endorse the company on social media. Jones on Instagram and quarterback Brian Maurer on Twitter shared a Metro Straw promotional graphic.

Lmao what? I haven’t been able to find out much about it and I’ve never heard of this guy but apparently he started laying pine straw when it was like 14 and grew it into a massive business. I love that he’s paying the other players for endorsements.

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Tattoos? On MY black quarterback?
drat is there gonna be a competition for the rich players that can bankroll the rest of the team now?

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

zimbomonkey posted:

drat is there gonna be a competition for the rich players that can bankroll the rest of the team now?

get the coach's son or nephew or something on as a kicker or punter or general clipboard-holder down the depth chart, have him run a business as purely a shell company, let them then pay for NIL for all the teammates that matter.

can't prove the cash isn't coming from the coach and therefore the school! you know somebody is already working on how to run this.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Former FSU wide receiver Tamorrion Terry one of a bunch of people indicted for felony murder stemming from a nightclub murder in Terry's podunk hometown in 2018.

The charge doesn't mean that Terry pulled the trigger, but that he was at least present when the felony happened.

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!

Joey Freshwater posted:

https://247sports.com/college/tennessee/Article/Tennessee-Vols-Football-NIL-Name-Image-Likeness-Players-Deals-Active-First-Day-167289465

247 put out an article talking about what different UT athletes were doing since the NIL stuff opened up. It’s your basic stuff like Cameo, game apps, endorsements, things like that until I got to this part:

Lmao what? I haven’t been able to find out much about it and I’ve never heard of this guy but apparently he started laying pine straw when it was like 14 and grew it into a massive business. I love that he’s paying the other players for endorsements.

This rules.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Who is the most famous NCAAF player now that Lawrence and Fields have moved on? Spencer Rattler?

Nissin Cup Nudist fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Jul 3, 2021

Stanley Tucheetos
May 15, 2012

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Who is the most famous NCAAF player now that Lawrence and Fields have moved on? Spencer Rattler?

For quarterbacks it's either him or Sam Howell. Maybe D'eriq King at miami?

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year

For you, I'd be thinking about Olave.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I was gonna say Olave, at least in Big Ten country, but also the main people I talk about college football with are Ohio State fans.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

I'd say Rattler, but Daniels is also getting hella hype this off season but I don't think he is quite on the same level.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

i think it’s rattler, but dj uiagalelei is gong to take cfb by storm next year

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Yeah if those are the current leaders on paper I think it could quickly pass to whichever of the next guys up at Bama/Clemson/OSU stands out by midseason.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

A lot of people checked out on last season, and this season seems like a blank slate. Kinda reminds me of when the Carolina Hurricanes of all teams won the Stanley Cup after the '05 lockout year. Thus, congrats in advance to Mack Brown and the Heels

Chucktesla
Jul 13, 2014

Declan MacManus posted:

i think it’s rattler, but Big Dave uiagalelei is gong to take cfb by storm next year

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
I'm hiring every Iowa State football player that has a cameo account to tell me that Seneca Wallace was in the end zone and should have been awarded a touchdown on the last play of the 2002 game against Florida State.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
I keep having to look up whether Seneca Wallace has passed away and then remembering it was Ennius Haywood who died.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
One of them declined my request because they were confused why I was giving them money to say 'Seneca was in'.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Rattler just inked an endorsement deal with Raisin Cane’s lol

Stanley Tucheetos
May 15, 2012

vyst posted:

Rattler just inked an endorsement deal with Raisin Cane’s lol

He messed up by not getting a deal with venom energy drinks.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
drat I didn't think about Cameo.

Prank season will be extra spicy this fall

Roasted Donut
Aug 24, 2007

NWA WHITE POWERRR!!!!
the hot dog eating contest is starting in a few minutes on espn get the gently caress in

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
*dad voice*

It's not a hot dog eating contest if they get to eat the buns and dogs separately and get to dip the buns in water. No one eats a loving hot dog that way. It should be called the Nathan's Buns and Also Some Weiners Eating Contest

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

fast cars loose anus posted:

*dad voice*

It's not a hot dog eating contest if they get to eat the buns and dogs separately and get to dip the buns in water. No one eats a loving hot dog that way. It should be called the Nathan's Buns and Also Some Weiners Eating Contest

If it was called that I'd probably have to watch. Hell, what else do I get to see on ESPN+?

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

*dad voice*

Nathan's Throat GOAT Championship

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

*dad voice*

agreed it's bullshit

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

76 dogs is impressive regardless of how they are consumed

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

*dad voice*

MourningView posted:

agreed it's bullshit

Sounds like y’all need to eat some weiners

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Joey Freshwater posted:

:mods:

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I never thought about it before, but yeah why are these clowns eating hot dogs like literally no person ever?

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It didn’t used to be a thing until the Joey Chestnut guy started using water a few years back. Now I guess everyone does it

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
I'd imagine like most obscure sports/competitions there's a whole lot of accumulated knowledge and thought put into it that would sound like gibberish to most of us.

I'm sure there's a science to expanding your stomach enough to take that. Just one that I don't really care to learn when I watch guys demolish food once a year.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Joey Freshwater posted:

It didn’t used to be a thing until the Joey Chestnut guy started using water a few years back. Now I guess everyone does it

I think Kobayashi started it? I remember him doing it. Either way they are frauds until they choke down 70 dry rear end hot dog buns imo

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Just have water dog be a separate event like using gear when weight lifting. Sure you have the water assisted dog eating record but how well do you perform raw dog?

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I remember like 20 years ago Fox did a special called Man vs Beast and a bear made Kobayashi look like a chump. The bear was eating 20 hot dogs per bite.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Cthulu Carl posted:

Nathan's Throat GOAT Championship

:chloe:

Joey Freshwater posted:

Spicy.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Sash! posted:

I remember like 20 years ago Fox did a special called Man vs Beast and a bear made Kobayashi look like a chump. The bear was eating 20 hot dogs per bite.

If that show taught us anything, it was that wild animals can kick our rear end in everything but using an obstacle course.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Edward Mass posted:

If that show taught us anything, it was that wild animals can kick our rear end in everything but using an obstacle course.

Recent science has shown they're pretty good at obstacle courses too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFZFjoX2cGg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stanley Tucheetos
May 15, 2012

Edward Mass posted:

If there is one physical trait that humans truly excel at it is long distance endurance. We aren't the fastest or strongest but we sure can keep running longer than anything else.