Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

John Romero posted:

I actually went to a Best Buy in my state yesterday that is tucked away and I didn’t even know existed. Was literally out of 2004- they had like three racks of movies

This is what my old Best Buy looked like up until like three months ago. It was beautiful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I miss the huge section of big box PC games. That was always what I wanted to see growing up.

I think what’s happened to Barnes and Noble is honestly weirder. I walked into one in 2015 to find a book to pad out an essay I was working on, and was shocked by how much book space had been given over to toys.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Casimir Radon posted:

I miss the huge section of big box PC games. That was always what I wanted to see growing up.

I think what’s happened to Barnes and Noble is honestly weirder. I walked into one in 2015 to find a book to pad out an essay I was working on, and was shocked by how much book space had been given over to toys.

I've noticed the growing trend that any places that sell/sold physical media have filled the rapidly emptying spaces with Funko Pop figures.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

say what you will about Barnes and Noble, they have have their twice yearly Criterion sale and a huge manga section. So they've got the important things covered

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Gripweed posted:

say what you will about Barnes and Noble, they have have their twice yearly Criterion sale and a huge manga section. So they've got the important things covered

The B&N in my area doesn't have movies at all.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Oh yea the Best Buy had a single computer parts section. I don’t remember the last time I bought sticks of ram or a graphics card at a physical store but there they were. Just collecting dust and random items people didn’t want but didn’t want to go back to the aisle to put them back. A modern marvel.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

CPL593H posted:

The B&N in my area doesn't have movies at all.

one out of two ain't bad

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

My Best Buy’s movie section very suddenly became woefully small a month or two ago. I’m not surprised it happened, but I did use to like browsing when it was a big section unto itself. Gonna miss that a bit.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

My local Best Buy is down to two displays of movies. One by the front door, and one by the fridges. They're usually about 1/4th full. Surprising amount of Arrow Video on display, though.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Gripweed posted:

one out of two ain't bad

It is if the one is manga.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
The Best Buy where I grew up had the old floor plan so in the DVD era it used to have a whole room that was just movies. It was almost the size of a Blockbuster. I used to waste so much time just looking at random stuff in there.

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP
Elvira's Haunted Hills is getting a blu-ray from Scream Factory! Exciting, as that one is quite out of print on DVD. Comes out Sept. 28, just in time for Halloween.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Got a notice from the camel app, fury road 4k dropped to $18 on Amazon if anyone still needs it.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

codyclarke posted:

Elvira's Haunted Hills is getting a blu-ray from Scream Factory! Exciting, as that one is quite out of print on DVD. Comes out Sept. 28, just in time for Halloween.

Hellllllll yeah

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

codyclarke posted:

It's not a very good movie but I'll buy it.

Alec Eiffel
Sep 7, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Vince MechMahon posted:

No one is forcing you to!

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Alec Eiffel posted:

I'm going to anyway. I still hold out impossible hope for a real sequel to her first movie.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Alec Eiffel posted:

I am. :toughguy:

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Vince MechMahon posted:

New thread title.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Is there a resource to check whether it's "worth it" to upgrade something to 4k? I'm asking specifically about Fury Road, which I've heard mixed things about since it's an upscale, but I'm sure I'll have the same question for a number of my favorite movies.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

GrandpaPants posted:

Is there a resource to check whether it's "worth it" to upgrade something to 4k? I'm asking specifically about Fury Road, which I've heard mixed things about since it's an upscale, but I'm sure I'll have the same question for a number of my favorite movies.

Blu-ray.com reviews and right here are my go to for this.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

GrandpaPants posted:

It’s come up before in the thread but I don’t think that’s documented anywhere. It’s pretty subjective too; I only bought the Ghostbusters 4K since I didn’t have it but apparently the Blu-Ray was really good and it isn’t much of an upgrade. If you’re super into that movie it probably would be worth it though. Honestly the number of truly mediocre UHDs is pretty small. I would just check blu-ray.com and maybe ask here.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
DVDbeaver still is pretty good about side-by-side comparisons of releases, although they don't have every movie.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Shout is doing UHDs of Halloween 1-5

https://twitter.com/dawnofthediscs/status/1412451994774773769

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Anyone wanna buy my old blu-ray set? I'll give it to you for $250.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I have the previous Halloween UHD, and the Shout Blu of 2, I'll probably just pick up 3, I really can't remember 4. Is 5 the one where he's got some sort of druid curse?

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Iron Crowned posted:

I have the previous Halloween UHD, and the Shout Blu of 2, I'll probably just pick up 3, I really can't remember 4. Is 5 the one where he's got some sort of druid curse?

I think 4-6 all cover the dumb curse thing.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

4 is when its hinted and 5 is when its confirmed. I only need 3.

Unless this Shout 4K of 1 is another step up from the Lionsgate release then maybe I'll also pick that up.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

I know why they didn’t release 6, but it’s weird to have 4 and 5 but no 6. Hopefully they’ll release the others later on.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Iron Crowned posted:

Part 4 introduces Jamie, played by Danielle Harris.

Part 5 is the continuation of Jamie's plot, but now she is mute. Loomis is pretty much batshit insane at this point. Michael Meyers falls down a mine shaft that exits into a river, where he floats until a derelict saves him, nurses him back to health, and Michael thanks him by murdering him. The Man In Black is introduced, but the full on druid curse and Cult of Samhain stuff doesn't come in until Part 6, starring Paul Rudd.

Part 4 is good, Part 5 is forgettable, Part 6 is terrible.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

6 is at least interesting by having 2 different cuts. It doesn’t save the movie, but it’s cool to see basically the same film in two different styles.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
This is tough because I own most of these on blu ray already and it's not necessarily automatic that they'll look good enough on UHD to justify spending $30+ per film. I'll probably wait and read some reviews.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

dorium posted:

Unless this Shout 4K of 1 is another step up from the Lionsgate release then maybe I'll also pick that up.
All of 'em are getting fresh 2021 scans, at least. Though I don't know why they did that with 2 and 3, those got 4K scans exclusively for the steelbook releases a couple years back.

I'm just picking up the big H3 box, then grabbing the others for cheaper at other retailers because I don't want those posters.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Was the scan for the Halloween UHD a while back not from the original negative? Just curious why this new scan would potentially be better than the previous one.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Basebf555 posted:

Was the scan for the Halloween UHD a while back not from the original negative? Just curious why this new scan would potentially be better than the previous one.

cant find any info on the source of the 2019 scan, but apparently it was also too overseen by Dean Cundey, but that one turned out a lot darker than the blu-ray did. Maybe this Shout version will rectify that issue.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Basebf555 posted:

This is tough because I own most of these on blu ray already and it's not necessarily automatic that they'll look good enough on UHD to justify spending $30+ per film. I'll probably wait and read some reviews.

I want them, but I don't want those posters, and I don't want to spend $200 for all five. I'll probably wait and hope they get in the $25 range through another seller.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

welp, couldn't help myself. too curious and I'm just dumb. time to go lock up my CC's in a lockbox and flush the key.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
poo poo.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
They'll definitely get me if they show up on store shelves though. Like, I'm not walking by a Season of the Witch UHD on the shelf in October without grabbing it, I know myself and I know I'm incapable of doing that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Cloks posted:

New thread title.

It's my whole life's philosophy now. It's why I own Little Monsters on blu ray and have my eye on Drop Dead Fred, and why I'll blind buy 100 bucks worth of movies from Severin or VinSyn after telling myself it's the last time.