Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Turbo Poggs
Jan 6, 2013

Fart Car '97 posted:

My main issue with BF4 vs 1 is that 1 is super playable solo and without much unlocked, but 4 has a lot of the good stuff behind a time grind and can be utterly miserable if you don't have a squad with the means to fend off vehicles.

The grind is disgusting in 4, I really hope 2042 does away with it. Probably a pipe dream but just...give me the sights & poo poo & let me shoot mans please

Been loading in to hardcore servers with a friend, though, which is the way to go coming from games like Insurgency Sandstorm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Inspector Hound posted:

You will have to pry a bolt action into my cold dead hands. I'm better with DMRs than I was expecting but I still basically need a drum of bullets to spray at each guy I see

vv that's how I got back into BF4 lol vv

There’s bolt actions that have a straight pull, which means you don’t have to unscope between shots so they’re almost like very slow firing DMRs

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Fart Car '97 posted:

My main issue with BF4 vs 1 is that 1 is super playable solo and without much unlocked, but 4 has a lot of the good stuff behind a time grind and can be utterly miserable if you don't have a squad with the means to fend off vehicles.

Seeing I can't successfully round up any goons (stop playing warzone fuckwads) I play solo. It's usually a few rounds of a straight breeze before a frustrating one, like on Shanghai yesterday. Complete blowout, but I did c4 a couple tanks on my own.

Some dude went like 80-4 in the attack chopper while they held the tower and exploited the rooftops. It was all so obvious but we didn't have an answer. That's frustrating. Those rounds don't happen often, but they can end a session with the bad taste they leave in your mouth

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I'd be happy to play with anyone on PC.

Origin name is the same as on here.

I'm USEast. Normally I play during the day, but I've been unemployed. And I start a new job on Tuesday :) :( So I guess going forward it wouldn't be until later in the evenings.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Sent you a req. I'm east coast as well

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"
Added both of you, my playtime has been extremely sporadic but always good to have more people to play with whenever it lines up

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Cools, just shoot me a message whenever - I just got an Index the other day so I've been playing a ton of Half Life Alyx and Beat Saber instead of BF, but I'll happily join.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

I shouldn't have survived

https://streamable.com/ipt2rl

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Turbo Poggs posted:

The grind is disgusting in 4, I really hope 2042 does away with it. Probably a pipe dream but just...give me the sights & poo poo & let me shoot mans please

Boy do I probably have some bad news for you…

:(

Grinds are getting worse in just about all games. I guess some people LIKE them? I enjoy a little bit of unlock progression, but locking content behind 60+ hours of grinding just sucks the fun right out of it for me.

When they locked some of the new guns behind really arbitrary, grindy tasks in BF1, I quit for a long time and didn’t come back till after they’d wised up. Fifty headshot kills with a loving hipfire subgun? That’s a no from me, dawg.

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013
There were tons of people moaning because BF5 didn’t have enough grind.
It was like 100hours to max out all the classes,
I don’t understand these peope.

Philman
Jan 20, 2004

Headshot challenges are very easy with all guns. Just flank some snipers, then get them from behind, they don't even move.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

Krogort posted:

There were tons of people moaning because BF5 didn’t have enough grind.
It was like 100hours to max out all the classes,
I don’t understand these peope.

It was pretty nice jumping in years after launch and feeling generally as powerful as everyone else. The way they subdivided tank skill trees is a little bullshit that requires a ton of hours to finish, but on foot I had every class to 20 in about ~50 hours of playtime. V significantly cut down on the grind there. I have ~450 hours in One and still have 3-4 DLC guns to unlock.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

Philman posted:

Headshot challenges are very easy with all guns. Just flank some snipers, then get them from behind, they don't even move.

Idk, I really struggled with the "10 objective kill headshots in one life or 20 objective headshots in one round" with the SLRs and I'm not exactly awful at headshots. Some of those final challenges were hard as h*ck

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

To this day I still have not managed the "get X kill assist ribbons in a single round as assault" assignment for the F2000. Either I just die without getting a hit in or I kill them outright :shrug:.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

Philman posted:

Some of the BFV mastery skin unlocks were utter horseshit.

Stuff like get 6 proned headshots in an objective zone in one life or some poo poo.

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

Remember when the TTK changes made certain weapon challenges impossible?

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

Symetrique posted:

Remember when the TTK changes made certain weapon challenges impossible?

Don't remind me of that dark time. 4 hit kill Garand, the FG42 getting outclassed at all ranges by an SMG

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
There were so many bad design decisions compounding how bad weapon mastery were in 5. Like having to actually equip the assignments rather than your stats being tracked globally, which also required you to leave matches if you wanted to change them. They put no thought in the challenges and made them pretty much universal without taking into account weapon stats, such as the SLR's still having the headshot kills, despite being a two-shots-to-kill weapon even if you landed a headshot with the first shot. Some of them actively went against the gun's supposed design, like the SMG's requiring longer distance kills. The worst were the ones that required killing in an objective area because it encouraged the worst type of camping yet you were lucky to even get the amount of kills required even if you camped out for the entire match.

Some of them were just impossible unless you were an aim-flick master like JackFrags, and I guarantee none of the weapon assignment designers completed them on an online match against other players, but it's clear that :dice: doesn't play their own game.

Warad
Aug 10, 2019

Anyone who complains about the grind in any BF from the last decade doesn't know or remember 2's. :colbert:

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

Warad posted:

Anyone who complains about the grind in any BF from the last decade doesn't know or remember 2's. :colbert:

BF2 had, at least as far as I know, the first or one of the first level grinding for unlocks in FPS history. There weren't any standards to meet back then. The grind is so obscene that there had to be grind servers for people to just idle in vehicles to rack up time in them, and if you destroyed a vehicle someone was in you'd get banned.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Melman v2
I still never unlocked all the guns in BF2 and I played it more than any subsequent Battlefield.

And this is with the Special Forces bonus unlocks.

The whole "official servers needed to level up and grind for unlocks" thing really hurt the mod and custom map scene too.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

poo poo, I still haven't finished the carbine tree in BF4.

Philman
Jan 20, 2004

jisforjosh posted:

Some of the BFV mastery skin unlocks were utter horseshit.

Stuff like get 6 proned headshots in an objective zone in one life or some poo poo.

oh i thought we were talking BF1. yeah, BFV had a lot of bullshit.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Kazinsal posted:

poo poo, I still haven't finished the carbine tree in BF4.

class specific gadgets in BF4 being locked to challenges that were not relevant to the class were pretty annoying. the UCAV being unlocked by destroying 5 vehicles while in a jet took me for-loving-ever to get.

and then, as soon as i got it, they nerfed the thing into uselessness.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Laserface posted:

class specific gadgets in BF4 being locked to challenges that were not relevant to the class were pretty annoying. the UCAV being unlocked by destroying 5 vehicles while in a jet took me for-loving-ever to get.

and then, as soon as i got it, they nerfed the thing into uselessness.

Battlepacks being the only way to get a lot of attachments you want for aesthetic reasons or whatever is also horrible. I’d run the Elcan 3.4x on just about everything if it didn’t take a billion spins of gacha roulette to unlock it everywhere.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

BFV's assignments are trash. Usually I play support so I just pick 2 weapons I'll use that session and throw on those assignments and hope for the best. It hasn't exactly worked well but gently caress it, who needs dumb gold skins anyway.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

COD MW gets it mostly right - weapon attachments/camo for the gun are unlocked via progression (attachments are XP based, camos are kills based, then the pro-tier gold/plat stuff is for spergin' out kills) and then you can get the blue-print guns that are the same weapon with occasionally different models/skins for both the gun and the attachments it has.

it does kind of give some guns a competitive advantage (one gun blueprint gets excellent ironsights vs the default ones) but mostly you have plenty of diversity, you can apply xp boost tokens to quickly unlock new attachments, and the camos you will unlock naturally through gameplay for the most part.

if you want the weird hentai skin that shots sakura petals, cough up $15.

Live At Five!
Feb 15, 2008
20 headshots with the MP18 optical and shooting down 2 planes in a round with an LMG were both frustrating bullshit challenges, though I did complete the first one. I tend to just completely ignore challenges that I find irritating because it just isnt worth it.

afkmacro
Mar 29, 2009

Node posted:

BF2 had, at least as far as I know, the first or one of the first level grinding for unlocks in FPS history. There weren't any standards to meet back then. The grind is so obscene that there had to be grind servers for people to just idle in vehicles to rack up time in them, and if you destroyed a vehicle someone was in you'd get banned.

I got stuck on one of the last few ranks cause it required so many other badges and ribbons https://www.bf2hub.com/stats/43522961 even after almost a thousand hours of playing.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Was aiming a lot harder in BF2 or was I just worse at shooting back then? I remember things being nearly impossible to hit consistently at mid range and then there was the dolphin diving and bunny hopping. Which is why I stuck with grenade spam at the first flag at Strike at Karkand.

afkmacro
Mar 29, 2009

buglord posted:

Was aiming a lot harder in BF2 or was I just worse at shooting back then? I remember things being nearly impossible to hit consistently at mid range and then there was the dolphin diving and bunny hopping. Which is why I stuck with grenade spam at the first flag at Strike at Karkand.

It was bad, between server lag and the ridiculous recoil/bloom on guns, I remember you had to use single fire pretty much most of the time and without hit markers you really didn't know if you were on target. Plus some guns like the g36 had broken ironsights.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
I don't really understand people who play soldier Barbie anyway. Who cares about skins? No one gives a poo poo what your weapon looks like, the only time people will even look at it is if you're one of those annoying people who ask everyone in your squad to check out your blinged weapon.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

I don't really understand people who play soldier Barbie anyway. Who cares about skins? No one gives a poo poo what your weapon looks like, the only time people will even look at it is if you're one of those annoying people who ask everyone in your squad to check out your blinged weapon.

Major exception for Titanfall 2

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Melman v2

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

Gunskins are dumb but making an incredibly silly looking soldier barbie is great, the most terrible unsold promise of BFV is that we never got all the silly customizations from the reveal trailer

afkmacro
Mar 29, 2009

The United States posted:

Gunskins are dumb but making an incredibly silly looking soldier barbie is great, the most terrible unsold promise of BFV is that we never got all the silly customizations from the reveal trailer

The elite skins we got were way sillier.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

buglord posted:

bf2 had straight up random cone of fire bloom, plus hit detection was rough. It made long range shootouts much less deadly.

Honestly I think it was kind of for the best, too much accurate gunfire at long range killing people too quick sucks big time. Shootouts are more fun when there's tons of bullets flying for an extended period.

Warad
Aug 10, 2019

The United States posted:

They did all eventually filter their way in piece by piece by the end.

Except the arm, drat shame that. If only people knew when they had their meltdowns that it would have ended up being way less silly than Maverick showing up as an elite.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Melman v2

afkmacro posted:

The elite skins we got were way sillier.
It's not the silliness, it's the specific things, like the tank horsehead bling, the prosthetic arm that acts like a bionic arm, and the katana cosmetic on the allied side

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Captain Beans posted:

bf2 had straight up random cone of fire bloom, plus hit detection was rough. It made long range shootouts much less deadly.

Honestly I think it was kind of for the best, too much accurate gunfire at long range killing people too quick sucks big time. Shootouts are more fun when there's tons of bullets flying for an extended period.

Wasn't BF2 also the one with the really aggressive latency compensation that assumed a ping of 100 for every player? So if you had a lower ping, actually leading a moving target could cause you to miss, and you'd instead have to aim behind them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011
BF2 had straight up bad gunplay even for the time and while that doesn't invalidate the fun everyone had with it cause it was a fuckin' blast, I'll keep screaming that forever cause god the shooting in that game sucked.

And 2142, the game I love the most, also sucked!