Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Orv posted:

BF2 had straight up bad gunplay even for the time and while that doesn't invalidate the fun everyone had with it cause it was a fuckin' blast, I'll keep screaming that forever cause god the shooting in that game sucked.

And 2142, the game I love the most, also sucked!

ENEMY BOAT SPOTTED!

2/2142 definitely did some weird things with hitcode, game balance and other things. Though the wire-guided AT rockets were always glorious and shockingly solid for counter-sniping.

I remember being in the beta-test for 2142's expansion and the crew there gamed and tested out a lot of crazy stuff. Including what the "heavy armor" toggle did: it didn't just give your character a flak jacket on the model (and giant fuckoff traffic cone pauldrons if you were EU) it basically gave you a flak jacket damage model in return for losing a chunk of your sprint meter. Your torso hitbox took less damage from bullets, your arms, legs and head had the same damage value. No protection at all from explosions. That was it.

So...shiny new shooty-bang-bang game when? Or at least some more news about it?

I also will never stop hoping for a 2143.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

Alkydere posted:

So...shiny new shooty-bang-bang game when? Or at least some more news about it?

I also will never stop hoping for a 2143.

EA Play on July 22nd is supposed to be the next major event with information, though I'd expect more sooner than that from some EA FPS presentation this week and the tech stress test/alpha thing this month.

Game releases October 15th/22nd depending on your preorder.

Lube Enthusiast
May 26, 2016

Laserface posted:

class specific gadgets in BF4 being locked to challenges that were not relevant to the class were pretty annoying. the UCAV being unlocked by destroying 5 vehicles while in a jet took me for-loving-ever to get

Oh god this brought back a bad memory. I distinctly remember doing this on the resort level. I flew all the way back to spawn/safe airspace after every single kill and just wait for all my countermeasure to refill cause I was terrified I’d get shot down and lose the streak

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

2142’s bullets did at least go where your gun pointed.

Too Many Birds
Jan 8, 2020

love 2 be banned from every BF4 server because a hacker got into my Origin account.

:negative:

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

Too Many Birds posted:

love 2 be banned from every BF4 server because a hacker got into my Origin account.

:negative:

Good thing bf4 and all the DLC is cheap as hell.

Turn on 2FA

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Wasn't BF2 the one where you had to aim off to the side of centre for melee hits to land? Like I don't think it was a latency thing, melee just didn't track correctly so if you aimed for centre mass you would miss

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Aces High posted:

Wasn't BF2 the one where you had to aim off to the side of centre for melee hits to land? Like I don't think it was a latency thing, melee just didn't track correctly so if you aimed for centre mass you would miss

I dunno about BF2, but 2142 where they introduced dogtags you had to stand a foot or so back. The game actually fired all attacks from a bit ways out from your camera, about where your gun would end from your point of view. So if you shoved your face into someone's rear end your knife attack would spawn on the far side of the person.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Lube Enthusiast posted:

Oh god this brought back a bad memory. I distinctly remember doing this on the resort level. I flew all the way back to spawn/safe airspace after every single kill and just wait for all my countermeasure to refill cause I was terrified I’d get shot down and lose the streak

I believe it was the advice in the BF4 thread at the time to do it on Parasol Storm (the resort map). thats where I did it, at least.

the assignment/challenge was:

quote:

Air Superiority Ribbon x1 (win 1 round of Air Superiority game mode)
Jet Fighter Ribbon x3 (kill 5 enemies using a jet in one round)

which, for someone that never played air vehicles at all let alone jets, is kinda tough.

Laserface fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Jul 6, 2021

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Is Battlelog not working for anyone else, PS4? I never cared about it until a little while ago and now it's not showing up

e I'm also not sure the app for the three sequel plus one console generation old fps is working anymore either

Inspector Hound fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Jul 6, 2021

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Alkydere posted:

I dunno about BF2, but 2142 where they introduced dogtags you had to stand a foot or so back. The game actually fired all attacks from a bit ways out from your camera, about where your gun would end from your point of view. So if you shoved your face into someone's rear end your knife attack would spawn on the far side of the person.

Every game through at least 2142 worked that way. It became apparent if you ever knifed a wall because a bullet hole appeared. Honestly I miss long drawn out knife fights instead of the 1-hit-kills that COD seemed to make popular.

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013

SpartanIvy posted:

Every game through at least 2142 worked that way. It became apparent if you ever knifed a wall because a bullet hole appeared. Honestly I miss long drawn out knife fights instead of the 1-hit-kills that COD seemed to make popular.

This is a heritage from the first console FPS. Because people were using low sensitivity it took ages to turn and they introduced 1hit kill melee to shorten those awkward close range fights between two players that can’t turn well.
Nowadays with aim assist and competitive console gaming that got people used to high sens it is not needed as much.
So they should bring back melee fights like in Apex legends

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

Krogort posted:

This is a heritage from the first console FPS. Because people were using low sensitivity it took ages to turn and they introduced 1hit kill melee to shorten those awkward close range fights between two players that can’t turn well.
Nowadays with aim assist and competitive console gaming that got people used to high sens it is not needed as much.
So they should bring back melee fights like in Apex legends

I can't remember how BF5 is for melee but BF1 has different classes of melee that are only 1HK if your opponent is below a certain health level or are proned. They may also be 1HK directly from behind but I don't exactly recall since the back hit box is weird

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Jeremy proved the best melee weapon is the spotter scope

chestnut santabag
Jul 3, 2006

Fart Car '97 posted:

Jeremy proved the best melee weapon is the spotter scope

I think you mean https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EDIv2v4jaws

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

jisforjosh posted:

I can't remember how BF5 is for melee but BF1 has different classes of melee that are only 1HK if your opponent is below a certain health level or are proned. They may also be 1HK directly from behind but I don't exactly recall since the back hit box is weird

Yeah, it was generally a trade-off between raw damage and the one-hit-kill radius for attacks from behind. A small knife can one-hit-kill from about 150° behind the enemy, but will only do some 30 damage if you hit from the front. Meanwhile with something chunky like the hatchet you need to stand directly behind the target for a 1hk, but it'll do a solid ~60 damage from the front. That can actually make a difference if you winged a guy with a gun (e.g. hipfire with a bolt-action) and then try to finish them off with a melee attack.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

lmao I never heard about that.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Jesus I don't think I have ever seen a compilation of such bad situational awareness before.

Like I get caught with my pants down every so often and eat a knife but how the hell do you not notice the dude right beside you as he hits you MULTIPLE TIMES?!

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo

Ahahah I had totally forgot about this. Stuff like this in 1 was great. I remember the video of the guy who parachuted onto a dreadnought and shot a stick of dynamite with the kolibri to get a kolibri behemoth kill lmao

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

Aces High posted:

Jesus I don't think I have ever seen a compilation of such bad situational awareness before.

Like I get caught with my pants down every so often and eat a knife but how the hell do you not notice the dude right beside you as he hits you MULTIPLE TIMES?!

Mix of some of those clips being console (either not playing with headphones or turning radius for controller versus mice) and your average pubbies recon/scout player being blissfully unaware of anything going on outside of their zoomed in scope

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Thing that concerns me most in anticipation of 2042 is how none of the games to feature the current version of frostbite have felt right to me. Shooters are just like shoes to me in that they need to feel right or else nothing else matters. I've only played brief beta stints of 1, V, Battlefront but they all just felt off. Hoping 2042 isn't as such.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

codo27 posted:

Thing that concerns me most in anticipation of 2042 is how none of the games to feature the current version of frostbite have felt right to me. Shooters are just like shoes to me in that they need to feel right or else nothing else matters. I've only played brief beta stints of 1, V, Battlefront but they all just felt off. Hoping 2042 isn't as such.

Feel right or feel familiar? BF1 felt off to me at first because it wasn't BF4, and BFV felt off to me because it wasn't BF1. Now I can't go back to BF4 because it feels like trying to run in shoes I've outgrown, it feels cramped and uncomfortable. To keep with the shoe analogy, you need to wear in good running shoes before you actually run in them. If you just put them on and go out for a strenuous run you're going to hurt your feet.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

codo27 posted:

It usually takes me a good 60-80 hours before I know if I like an FPS. Most of that is getting over the initial "killed from seemingly random spots" hurdles as you gain map knowledge and figure out which guns you like best.

1 and V just never felt right, and I gave at least 100 - 150 hours to each. Part of it is just how much they lowered the skill ceiling in weird places (repairing from inside the tank/remove the ability for a full explosive loadout on infantry to auto-kill armor/straight up removing jihad/putting vehicles in a spawn menu so there's no chance of the enemy backcapping and fighting their way out with stolen armor/etc etc).

I get it on one hand, new players will get frustrated and quit dying from the same mechanics longtime BF players have spent years perfecting, but then it's not really a battlefield game anymore. And as you strip these mechanics, you get fewer and fewer of those vaunted "battlefield moments" as less cool poo poo happens.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

See I dont think I've ever moaned over "getting killed from idk where". If I'm new to the game, ofc there are gonna be people who know better. I feel like I can usually attribute deaths to being my own fault when they are, which are no cause for frustration because the error can be fixed. Same reason I've never gotten mad playing Souls games.

Its all about the movement and gunplay for me, which is why I hate Valve games. They are loving ice skating simulators and the movement is all floaty and wrong, and I hate it. If you pepper enough confirmed headshots and the guy ain't going down, thats a big "nah gently caress this" moment for me in initial feeling out of gameplay. If bullets aren't going anywhere near the crosshair, gently caress that too.

I know it'll never be addressed because its just one of those Battlefield™ things but I'd like to see repairing changed as well, thats more justification for having skipped V if you can repair from inside the drat thing. I dont know how accurate vehicle damage is compared to what it would be irl, but I'd like for it to be such that you had to bring vehicles back to base and repair them, and it would take more time. At the very least, none of this magical, get out and wave your torch for a sec to undo a direct hit from another tank poo poo. And ofc the chopper obscenities. I kinda want my cake and eat it too I guess, because I have no time for these slow paced, more tactical oriented shooters, but I also dont want every detail to be completely off the wall either.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

I don’t remember when they nerfed the back seat of the attack boats in bf4 but not being able to fire a stinger/igla from there is bs

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

codo27 posted:

I know it'll never be addressed because its just one of those Battlefield™ things but I'd like to see repairing changed as well, thats more justification for having skipped V if you can repair from inside the drat thing. I dont know how accurate vehicle damage is compared to what it would be irl, but I'd like for it to be such that you had to bring vehicles back to base and repair them, and it would take more time. At the very least, none of this magical, get out and wave your torch for a sec to undo a direct hit from another tank poo poo. And ofc the chopper obscenities. I kinda want my cake and eat it too I guess, because I have no time for these slow paced, more tactical oriented shooters, but I also dont want every detail to be completely off the wall either.

If anything you should actually like Battlefield V when it comes to vehicles and repairing. Staying in the tank/planes you can't self repair passed a certain health point if you're too damaged without heading back to a resupply station. Much the same with infantry not being able to auto regen beyond a certain point without a Medic Pack/Crate/Health Station

jisforjosh fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Jul 6, 2021

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

codo27 posted:

See I dont think I've ever moaned over "getting killed from idk where". If I'm new to the game, ofc there are gonna be people who know better. I feel like I can usually attribute deaths to being my own fault when they are, which are no cause for frustration because the error can be fixed. Same reason I've never gotten mad playing Souls games.

Its all about the movement and gunplay for me, which is why I hate Valve games. They are loving ice skating simulators and the movement is all floaty and wrong, and I hate it. If you pepper enough confirmed headshots and the guy ain't going down, thats a big "nah gently caress this" moment for me in initial feeling out of gameplay. If bullets aren't going anywhere near the crosshair, gently caress that too.

I would rather there be fewer excuses for armor to uselessly sit in the uncap

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
Sneaking up and stealing a tank from an armor lord who thinks he is safely repairing is good Battlefield fun. Even better is when you run him over with his own vehicle.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

repairing from inside the tank

Okay but BF4 and BF3 were both even worse in this regard, though. You didn't need to actively repair from inside or even outside the tank since they auto regen'd health just like infantry does

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

Sneaking up and stealing a tank from an armor lord who thinks he is safely repairing is good Battlefield fun. Even better is when you run him over with his own vehicle.

Sometimes you can make them get out; if you get close enough and hit them with the repair tool they'll occasionally panic and you get a free tank

Orv
May 4, 2011

SpartanIvy posted:

2142 knife servers were the only time I've ever joined and played any significant amount of dumb special rules servers like that.

Also for some hilarious reason the biggest one was one of those Christian, no swearing or we'll ban you ones, back before it became a big meme and seemed extra silly given the mass knife murder.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Bohemian Nights posted:

Okay but BF4 and BF3 were both even worse in this regard, though. You didn't need to actively repair from inside or even outside the tank since they auto regen'd health just like infantry does

To be fair at least in 4 the auto-repair is REALLY slow to both activate and in how fast it repairs, it's mostly there so that people aren't required to play Engineer to use vehicles(1 goes in the opposite direction by having anyone spawning in a vehicle being in a class that has a repair tool by default)

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Is there still a BF4 server these days that goons prefer? I reinstalled after many years away to hold me over until 2042.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Explosive Lockerhea

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Hughmoris posted:

Is there still a BF4 server these days that goons prefer? I reinstalled after many years away to hold me over until 2042.

I generally play on:

! Flubber, which is a 64 person Conquest Large server with most of the DLC in rotation
# # # [BTX] ALL MAPS CONQUEST DLC | 60Hz # # #, which is a 48 person Conquest Large as my backup with Flubber has a long queue or I just don't want to play on a full 64 man server / poo poo map currently loaded

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R1Q9-0tNhUg

New Interview.

The "fan favorite maps" better not be metro and locker.

Yami Fenrir fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Jul 9, 2021

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
*whispers into mic*

“Remake Zavod 311, Siege of Shanghai and Golmud Railway.”

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Yami Fenrir posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R1Q9-0tNhUg

New Interview.

The "fan favorite maps" better not be metro and locker.

Hamada so everyone can properly appreciate the scale of the new maps

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Bring back the close quarters maps you cowards

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I know BFV is a black eye on the franchise but I now have a solid gold shotgun in the game and I've been cackling like an idiot since finally getting around to unlocking it. What a gloriously dumb weapon. I put a bayonet on it for maximum power.

When it works you can feel the shame of the people you get with it.