Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
Oh good, I'm not the only person who thought that was a weird title for an autobiography.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
NVM the strip is about orc history now.

Mookie literally cannot stay on a topic for longer than one month

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

I'm still catching up to Beelzebufo's posts about Snowsong but I can already tell I'm in for a doozy here. Thanks for doing this, by the way. Your analysis really helps underline why Mookie is such a loving hack and why DD gets mocked so much.

TheHan posted:

The poem was co-written by a guy named J DEEGAN he shares a last name with the guy whose legacy Snout has been OBSESSED with beyond all reason why would he research this no name loving orc instead of Jacob.

loving :lmao: at Snout cracking his knuckles here. Mookie wants us to think he's about to do some intense work when we've all seen how Snout folds like a wet blanket when faced with something remotely challenging. Just have Veth give Snout yet another book with all the answer, at least it'll be more honest.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

Bulgak Adrak is the dead infernomancer from War in Hell.

Adrak Bulgak is his brother.

Not joking, Mookie thought that was clever. Thuen Gor named his kids Bulgak Adrak and Adrak Bulgak

Riot Bus
Jan 8, 2020

Beelzebufo posted:

Bulgak Adrak is the dead infernomancer from War in Hell.

Adrak Bulgak is his brother.

Not joking, Mookie thought that was clever. Thuen Gor named his kids Bulgak Adrak and Adrak Bulgak

For some reason I remembered Bulgak living but maybe that was just his soul leaving hell or something. I totally forgot about him ever having a brother mentioned. This is an unfortunate naming situation and will not help with readability.

Captain Kosmos
Mar 28, 2010

think of it like the "Who's Who" of genitals

Flashback.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Riot Bus posted:

For some reason I remembered Bulgak living but maybe that was just his soul leaving hell or something. I totally forgot about him ever having a brother mentioned. This is an unfortunate naming situation and will not help with readability.

No no, You are thinking of Adrak, who you see again in the march across Maltak. There's a whole jokey bit about how he's Adrak Bulgak, not Bulgak Adrak. Bulgak is dead and goes to hell, and then eventually explodes.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

catlord posted:

Yeah... like I said, I am dreading this one. What little I've heard of it sounds... very bad in a lot of ways.

IIRC, to give context, the next arc (if it’s the one I’m thinking it is) was written after… a certain incident in Mookie’s personal life that influenced a lot of what happens in the comic with incredibly obvious parallels.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse
Oh good...another page of Snout reading.

Remember when corpse lady coughed up a demonic vine???

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Regalingualius posted:

IIRC, to give context, the next arc (if it’s the one I’m thinking it is) was written after… a certain incident in Mookie’s personal life that influenced a lot of what happens in the comic with incredibly obvious parallels.

...and for those of us not in the know?

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

i love that snowsong at this point seems like the absolute nadir of deegan. and it probably is! but there's SO MUCH MORE DEEGAN AFTER THAT

what a world

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Regalingualius posted:

Breetai posted:

...and for those of us not in the know?

It is the arc Regalingualius is thinking of and the comic archive actually provides a date

Beelzebufo posted:

Here's where we can date the breakup by the way. Keep this in mind for the next chapter

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

As bad as Snout at the Library is, anything is better than the post-Mongreltown loop of walk, teach corpsemom to read, naked dreaming, repeat.

If I were in his place, with his kind of power, I'd get revenge by telling a ton of innocuous fortunes that ended up leading to her death in a Rube Goldberg-esque scenario.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

the next arc might actually be more misogynistic than the rape of melna, from what i remember

Riot Bus
Jan 8, 2020

Beelzebufo posted:

No no, You are thinking of Adrak, who you see again in the march across Maltak. There's a whole jokey bit about how he's Adrak Bulgak, not Bulgak Adrak. Bulgak is dead and goes to hell, and then eventually explodes.

This realization is so stressful.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

TheHan posted:

The poem was co-written by a guy named J DEEGAN he shares a last name with the guy whose legacy Snout has been OBSESSED with beyond all reason why would he research this no name loving orc instead of Jacob.

It's a good thing that all these Orcish books at the Orcish library, by Orcish authors, about Orcish history, are in English.

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Now is the time for us to gather together and celebrate those things that we like and think are fun.

Fister Roboto posted:

It's a good thing that all these Orcish books at the Orcish library, by Orcish authors, about Orcish history, are in English.

Also, we will find out that the answers are literally in the books. No need for unique thought or an actual mystery

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Mx. posted:

i love that snowsong at this point seems like the absolute nadir of deegan. and it probably is! but there's SO MUCH MORE DEEGAN AFTER THAT

what a world

Snowsong is the nadir when it comes to just being really blindingly stupid, later arcs just make up for it by being awful in other ways

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Zerilan posted:

Snowsong is the nadir when it comes to just being really blindingly stupid, later arcs just make up for it by being awful in other ways

That's why it's a much more interesting comic than Legacy. As bad as it got, the old comic never ran out of new ways to be bad.

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Wait wait wait

You're looking for Dominic Deegan, right? And you see a poem authored by a "J. Deegan" and some other guy.

And you look up books written by THE OTHER GUY? Why?

I'm still bewildered by this, it really feels like Mookie forgot what the comic was about

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Bismuth posted:

I'm still bewildered by ... Mookie ... comic

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
Mookie loves orcs and the Maltak characters.
Snout is Mookie, sort of.

Emrikol
Oct 1, 2015

Bismuth posted:

I'm still bewildered by this, it really feels like Mookie forgot what the comic was about

It's just so strange; everything in this arc seems like Snout's goals have been replaced with similar but distinctly different ones.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
Mookie already knows that Jacob Deegan isn't close to Dominic so why would Snout care about him?

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Ague Proof posted:

Mookie already knows that Jacob Deegan isn't close to Dominic so why would Snout care about him?

I think we've found the answer.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Ague Proof posted:

When you're right, you're right.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse
I know it would be beneficial to see where things end up, but I just fail to see what any of this has to do with what was already established. It's just more meandering. It's really hard to give the benefit of the doubt.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Bismuth posted:

Which is funny considering his blog post from last week:

Mookie posted:

Now that you’re all more familiar with Snout, the Ink Witch, and Arudak, I feel like it’s time to really get into the mystery of Dominic’s legacy.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

I'm still not sure I'm familiar with any of them, or even what the mystery even is - they seem to have a pretty clear understanding of Dominic's effect on the world, and Luna's contribution to the Orcs seems pretty well documented.

Riot Bus
Jan 8, 2020
Every few chapters the subject of the story changes, never to return to what it once was.

Genuinely wondering if corpse mom will be important again. This orc tour feels like the same level of focus shift that the vine house was. It wouldn't be so bad if he wasn't actively ignoring Deegan related hooks to read about this.

EDIT: it would be really funny if Snout spent all day reading about Adrak only for Veth to return and be like "what the gently caress I showed you that poem because it was cowritten by Dominic's brother."

Riot Bus fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Jul 6, 2021

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Not sure why I'm doing this...

I just noticed, why is his hair on the INSIDE of his arm in the 3rd image???

He reshades and redraws the details each time, so either he's tracing, or he's got basic outlines he copy/pastes and fills in. As the comic goes on, I wonder if he'll build up enough poses that he'll never have to totally redraw Snout again?

Also I hate his shoulder boils more and more every day. Snout is such a loving gross character design, the only part of him that's marginally acceptable is his face. Why everyone wants to sexually assault cuddle him is a mystery.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Not sure why I'm doing this...

I just noticed, why is his hair on the INSIDE of his arm in the 3rd image???

He reshades and redraws the details each time, so either he's tracing, or he's got basic outlines he copy/pastes and fills in. As the comic goes on, I wonder if he'll build up enough poses that he'll never have to totally redraw Snout again?

Also I hate his shoulder boils more and more every day. Snout is such a loving gross character design, the only part of him that's marginally acceptable is his face. Why everyone wants to sexually assault cuddle him is a mystery.
You didn't include the Snoutest of the snouttraces:

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Yeah I was just looking at stuff in the last few pages.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!

Robot Style posted:

Which is funny considering his blog post from last week:

No way this story has been an intentional slow burn. You can't convince me that the past two years of aimless wandering (the vast majority of which Arudak and Ink Witch weren't around for) were intended to endear us to these characters.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

SubG posted:

Wait he did this poo poo twice? I completely forgot about the first time.

God I hate this comic.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Ague Proof posted:

And the corollary to this: Mookie already knows Adrak Bulgak is important so Snout does too.

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem

Rotten Red Rod posted:

When I went back and looked at earlier parts of the comic the shoulder boils were much smaller, more like freckles or little round scales, so I have to assume them growing means they're going to burst eventually

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

SubG posted:

Between those two sets of panels, the book was completely erased by Ink Witch 2: Redactor. So Snout replicated all the ink blots when he rewrote the message.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

SubG posted:

Come to think of it, Snout is using a small paint brush to write on his journal, right? I'd understand if he was using a pen or a quill, but a brush seems really awkward to use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Calligraphy brushes are a thing, though I doubt Mookie was thinking of them.