Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Not much of a horror guy, but Mythic Quest and For All Mankind are definitely on the list.

As far as FAM is concerned, I've heard the second season is great, but is it one of those shows where you have to kind of suffer through a bad first season to get there, or will I know pretty early on whether the show is for me?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I recommend giving See a try, it’s not exactly great art, but it’s a fun show.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

ShakeZula posted:

Not much of a horror guy, but Mythic Quest and For All Mankind are definitely on the list.

As far as FAM is concerned, I've heard the second season is great, but is it one of those shows where you have to kind of suffer through a bad first season to get there, or will I know pretty early on whether the show is for me?

Nope first season is excellent too, second season just finished a few weeks ago so still fresh in people's minds. One of my favourite shows of the past few years for sure.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
When Debris ended with John Noble showing up in the last five minutes, and the show got cancelled I decided it was time to re-watch Fringe, and after finishing it I can confirm that it is still one of the best tv shows ever in my opinion.

The first season starts off a little slow, but it is held together by the phenomenal acting of John Noble, and by the time show is in its second season, every single actor on the main cast is doing a great job, and Noble is even better.

It still baffles me that Noble could do such an amazing job for five years and not get any kind of Emmy nod, I assume because it’s science fiction.

If you have never watched Fringe you should immediately correct that.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

ShakeZula posted:

If you like the apollo era space program at all, you'll love it.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

fam has a little weird arc but it really doesn't have much impact imo. All of the acting is really top notch, it's good

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

ShakeZula posted:

Both seasons start slow and then get intense as poo poo by the end. I prefer 2 but 1 is really great as well.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Definitely second giving both See and Servant a try.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Physical has been good too!

Been having a lot of fun with Apple shows recently. We'll see how these two new scifi shows go though... (and The Mosquito Coast sucked).

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Oh poo poo Never Have I Ever is back in 10 days! and I Think You Should Leave is back TOMORROW! About time Netflix had some good shows again.

David Makes Man on OWN returned for season 2 and it’s still really good. It’s from the writer of Moonlight and this season has followed that film’s example of having a large time jump - while season 1 followed David at 14, the second season skips forward to him as an adult (and then the second episode was mostly a flashback back to teenage years again). Great, sensitive performances and writing. Definitely the best OWN show I’ve ever seen (it’s crazy to me that Queen Sugar is still going, it was a good show but six seasons feels like too much).

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I know that Apple has probably the least amount of original content, but do they have the highest hit rate of any of the big streamers right now?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Honestly maybe

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I started Nightflyers but wasn't paying attention. Later I started it back up, still not really paying attention, and was less lost but kept wondering where certain elements were, like, I knew there was a rude psychic involved but they were absent. Turns out I started watching"Another Life" which is kind of mediocre but easier to follow absently. Looking up reviews and synopsis so it's not too distracting and it looks like it got dumped on. Honestly, this show's not great but the review dogpile just makes it look like it became a safe target for critics/commenters to practice copying each others basic digs, just doesn't warrant a strong reaction in general.

In any case, I always crack up when a review singles out "droppin' f bombs" and they mean it the old way, like they're still scared of gently caress. They usually have another criticism on top of that one, but it's still clear how heavily they judge a show for having too many of the good kind of cusses.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

zoux posted:

I know that Apple has probably the least amount of original content, but do they have the highest hit rate of any of the big streamers right now?

I think I would maybe pick Amazon, but it depends. Apple does have See which is a show so unbelievably bad on a purely fundamental level that I could not believe it was at any point greenlit.

I think Europe gets a boost WRT Netflix, since stuff like Better Call Saul and Snowpiercer are presented as originals here, so that probably skews my perspective.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/amcplus/status/1412152051426021382?s=21

(new show by the creator of Patriot)

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Khanstant posted:

In any case, I always crack up when a review singles out "droppin' f bombs" and they mean it the old way, like they're still scared of gently caress. They usually have another criticism on top of that one, but it's still clear how heavily they judge a show for having too many of the good kind of cusses.
To be honest I find anyone who actually cares about it one way or another to be suspect. Its like I'm either dealing with a 90 year old complaint or a 13 year old praise.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

The tweet won't load for me. Is it Ultra City Smiths? Because gently caress yes Jimmi Simpson and John C. Reilly!

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back

So.....cancelled three weeks in this time?

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
One season and a rumored movie!

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
Amazon has a lot more bad or mediocre originals than you'd think, I'm still occasionally seeing some series that had several seasons and nobody ever mentioned or watched, like Red Oaks

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
That's probably unfair to Red Oaks because that show kinda owns in a very low key John Hughes 80s movie kinda way

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
For Amazon and Netflix, it's hard to tell if it's even their show. They slap "Netflix Original" on anything they have exclusive streaming rights for.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Yeah I figured out that's why so many foreigners think Breaking Bad is a Netflix original

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Admittedly ts a bit hard to search for it, but has Trying on Apple TV been this badly overlooked here? Its comedy/drama about a young couple trying to adopt a child, and its warm and sweet and heart-wrenching and I highly recommend it, especially if you enjoyed Ted Lasso.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Gorn Myson posted:

Admittedly ts a bit hard to search for it, but has Trying on Apple TV been this badly overlooked here? Its comedy/drama about a young couple trying to adopt a child, and its warm and sweet and heart-wrenching and I highly recommend it, especially if you enjoyed Ted Lasso.

I never heard of it but just watched the trailer, might have to check it out.

I've been rewatching bits and pieces of The Leftovers. What a heavy show. Also, perhaps the great TV soundtrack of all-time. I'd be hard pressed to find a show with a better one.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Richard Donner died.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

As someone who really only ever associated his name with Superman (and the controversy therein), I was surprised to learn about his extensive and varied TV directing career

https://twitter.com/TheFienPrint/status/1412145048628580362

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Gorn Myson posted:

I’ve mentioned it in the Apple TV thread once or twice I think. It’s a really nice and lovely show but not one I think goons would generally be into. Also Maisie Peters, one of my favourite new pop artists, wrote the season 2 soundtrack (ie the songs that play over every episode’s closing montage)! The finale was super loving good

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I can't watch rafe spall shows because I despise his Black Mirror character so much.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Rafe Spall being a dumbass in Prometheus was on point.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Holy poo poo this show's cast. Conrad regulars like Hannah Mae Lee, his brother Chris, Terry O'Quinn and Kurtwood Smith, but also Kristen Bell, Bebe Newrith, Tom Waits(!), Julian Barret and Damon Herriman. Wtf.

Shame it's only six episodes though.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Open Source Idiom posted:

Anything cool you've done recently (that you can talk about) ?

The Ray Donovan Finale has had more fake rain than I have ever seen in a production.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Ugh wtf is AMC+? Can a real network please develop the next Conrad project?

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Gonz posted:

Rafe Spall being a dumbass in Prometheus was on point.

Holy poo poo. I always thought that guy was some knock off Patrick Wilson Ridley found down the back of the sofa, it never even crossed my mind it was Rafe Spall.

I can watch him fine in other shows despite his Black Mirror character because he part of the greatest double act of all time in Hot Fuzz.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

theflyingexecutive posted:

Ugh wtf is AMC+? Can a real network please develop the next Conrad project?

It will probably filter down to regular AMC after a couple of months. I don't think they have any actual exclusive shows yet.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It might be like Kevin Can gently caress Himself where the episodes go up on AMC+ a week before they air

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Kevin Can gently caress Himself is so good. No idea how it can keep doing the stuff it's doing though.

I laughed when I recognised the Penguin was the drug dealer.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
crying laughing at I Think You Should Leave

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/blakehounshell/status/1412388640752377858

quote:

Not to be outdone, the Weather Channel — granddaddy of television meteorology — announced the creation of a new streaming service, Weather Channel Plus, that the company believes could reach 30 million subscribers by 2026.

lol