Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Enamel pins! They're small pieces of artwork that you can wear or decorate with. They're generally cheap to make and buy, so the market is flooded with neat designs in almost every niche. I personally love collecting mushrooms and bug pins so far!

I recently began to collect them and it's satisfying to have art you can hold in your hand. Have a look!

I've put them up in a cheap foam-board thing that was in this room already when I moved in, and while it looks a little ramshackle it's really helped turn my desk area into my home.

Now, I just asked my non-goon friend about making this post and she immediately corrected what I had put down and wrote this instead:

quote:

Pin prices:
- Generally between 10-20USD but can go higher depending on where you venture in the community and whether or not they’re limited or have certain pricy effects. Price per unit is low, but the minimum order quantity tends to either be 50 or 100, depending on manufacturer, and ordering at least an extra half of that number to try and balance defect rates for a new manufacturer is recommended.

Soft enamel and hard enamel pins are made from either iron or zinc alloy which is then painted or plated, according to design. Iron has more weight, but zinc is better for cut outs and detail. Soft enamel pins can mimic hard enamel when given an epoxy coat, which is something that is done often for things like ‘rainbow plated/anodized’ pins. Lines must separate each colour, though this is occasionally hidden via use of screen print - gradient screen print is something that is being experimented with more and more but it tends to result in more expensive pins

For how to stuff on how to make pins I recommend Hannako’s two zines (Welcome to Pin Hell and Inner Circles of Pin Hell) and ThePinkSamurai’s posts

She's really into pins and has made her own: Pixelladium Creations

As for collecting your own pins, I've had great success with looking around on etsy in such stores as WalkingMelonsAAA and Leebobawitz. Kickstarter is also a surprisingly good source, as artists will use it to fund runs of pins!

So, goons, here's my question: do any of you make or collect pins? I want to see them!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

Mopsy, I'm starting to question your medical credentials.

I've been hoping someone would make an enamel pin thread! I could have done it myself but I'm shy. Right now I have a faux-leather pin jacket that has more fandom-y stuff, a canvas pin jacket where I try to stick to artsy original pins, and a couple of different pin-covered bags (including the cringiest ita bag of all time). Here's a pic I put in the Aliexpress thread once during a pin discussion:

I've rearranged a few things since then, hopefully later I will remember to take a picture when I'm not wearing it.

I have a couple pins from JeanaDraws' kickstarters specifically--those ones tend to go on my canvas jacket.

My robot roll call pins came from Two Ghouls Press

My Korok rock pin is from The Yetee but I don't think they sell it anymore? I assume they got in trouble with Nintendo because it's been wiped off the face of the earth, RIP.

My "Don't @ Me" pin is from Jen Bartel who doesn't sell it anymore but has a ton of cool pins

This is fine.

Roll High or Die is from Pretty Useful Co

I think those are most of the ones people usually ask me about. That pink mushroom with the hanging charm in the OP--I think my partner has that one, and I have the blue pin from the same collection. :3:

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Oh no I love the whales, and the suicune pin! You have good taste. :D

My most recent acquisition:

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

I have been waiting for Strike Gently (some are a little NWS) to get a certain patch back in stock but when they do I'm also going to get a few pins from there, this one is on the list for sure

Can we expand this to patches too? I feel they belong in the same general weelhouse.

e: Silver Sprocket also do rad pins, like this one!

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Oh no I love those Strike Gently pins!

And yeah, why not toss in patches? I don't have a use for them as I don't like to decorate my stuff like that, but I love seeing designs.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Sweet, I got this jacket fairly recently and have been patching it up. The other side from the ACAB patch is all pin reserved

Units in the DEA made patches for squads and operations that make drugs look sick as hell. There's so many designs and they're all rad to wear along your ACAB stuff

And to bring it back to pins these are on the camera bag

Megabound fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Jun 24, 2021

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

My newest pin just came in!

I'm now yelling at the pin-maker because they sold it as a "C-grade" their standards are too high! This is an A-grade!

(I got it from this patreon-only store: https://www.patreon.com/thisishannako/posts )

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Custom badges I designed and my friend paid for, for my online guild:

I made litle custom cards to send them to people, too.

I based the pin design on old religous or war badges, like:

Nettle Soup fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Jun 25, 2021

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I want a ton of these!! But I really don’t need them, because I have a fuckton of dumb metal and punk patches already.

Nettle Soup posted:

Custom badges I designed and my friend paid for, for my online guild:

I made litle custom cards to send them to people, too.

I based the pin design on old religous or war badges, like:

These completely rule and you’re cool and I wish I was in your guild

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

New pin-mail!

God, the joy of receiving these little things and putting them up is priceless

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Do you just use a plain ol' corkboard?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Do you just use a plain ol' corkboard?

No, it's some leftover material my partner bought from home depot for 5$, he thinks it's some kind of foam insulation? This is not its intended purpose, but since no one's using it and it was stored behind my desk I figured I'd use it.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

NoneMoreNegative posted:

If anyone is deep in the pin-buying game on AliX, one of these might be a good buy for you:

https://www.suck.uk.com/products/pinboard-mini/

I bought one for my gal and painted it up in silver & black, does nice for storing all the unworn pins:

Currently on half-price, though I was lucky and got one for myself quarter-price in an email flyer

Might be of interest, they're still in stock at half-price right now.

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

I know a few people who use regular corkboards, and some who use cloth mounted in embroidery hoops (with or without needlepoint) (there is also some crossover with enamel needle minders)

I finally got a pic of my jacket that doesn't have me in it!

Bonus hat:

cardinale
Jul 11, 2016

That's a great jacket.

Prophet of Nixon
May 7, 2007

Thou art not a crook!

Everett False posted:

I know a few people who use regular corkboards, and some who use cloth mounted in embroidery hoops (with or without needlepoint) (there is also some crossover with enamel needle minders)

I use cheap pre-stretched canvases:
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Daler-Rowney-Simply-Stretched-Canvas-Pack-16-x20-2-Piece/23745174

CantDecideOnAName
Jan 1, 2012

And I understand if you ask
Was this life,
was this all?

StrixNebulosa posted:

New pin-mail!

God, the joy of receiving these little things and putting them up is priceless

Okay, I NEED to know where you got these.

In return, a bad shot of my nicer pins (it's missing a recent acquisition tho):

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

CantDecideOnAName posted:

CrowCouncil! They're from the Familiar Feelings set.

In exchange, tell me where you got the moth pins! And the tiny diamond/bug pins!

CantDecideOnAName
Jan 1, 2012

Was this life,
was this all?
They're from https://www.etsy.com/shop/ConclaveCuriosities but the shop doesn't currently have any listings, sorry! I'm not sure what their restock policy is, either.

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

New pin got here! Originally I planned to put it on my cringe bag but I might want to put it on my jacket, I can't decide.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

CantDecideOnAName posted:

Is that pair of Ouija planchette pins Pam Wishbow?

CantDecideOnAName
Jan 1, 2012

Was this life,
was this all?

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Is that pair of Ouija planchette pins Pam Wishbow?
Dunno who that is but if they do art like this I'm interested. These are Identity Pollution.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/697471476/all-seeing-planchettes-glow-in-the-dark?ref=shop_home_active_13

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Pam Wishbow. There are only a few enamel pins on the site at the moment, so I linked to her jewelry first. Her pins

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

Oh my god they glow in the dark :swoon:

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

https://twitter.com/AlstroArts/status/1411013395256578049

There's a bunch of really neat designs in here, but I went ahead and snapped up the Heath Kitty because gosh:

https://alstroarts.square.site/product/hearth-cat-enamel-pin-fantastic-flames/76?cp=true&sa=false&sbp=false&q=false&category_id=7

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

I am highly stoked about this one:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/canismythologia-pins/mythical-carousel-a-set-of-pins-based-on-world-mythology?ref=user_menu

Prophet of Nixon
May 7, 2007

Thou art not a crook!

Those are all really nice! I just ordered a Dewdrop Crestie lizard.

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

Just got this kickstarter recommended to me in an email about a different kickstarter:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/13oclock/lets-summon-demons-a-90s-inspired-enamel-pin-collection

Napoleon Nelson
Nov 8, 2012

I'm not so big on pins myself, but fortunately there's usually a lot of overlap between sticker-makes and pin-makers. I love the stuff from
the Foxloft.

And their kickstarter for vulture (and related) pins is over, but it looks like you can still order them through the backerkit site.

Prophet of Nixon
May 7, 2007

Thou art not a crook!

Napoleon Nelson posted:

I'm not so big on pins myself, but fortunately there's usually a lot of overlap between sticker-makes and pin-makers. I love the stuff from
the Foxloft.

And their kickstarter for vulture (and related) pins is over, but it looks like you can still order them through the backerkit site.

Their Kingfisher pin is beautiful, I might get one next time I get paid. Thanks for the link!

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Megabound posted:

I have been waiting for Strike Gently (some are a little NWS) to get a certain patch back in stock but when they do I'm also going to get a few pins from there, this one is on the list for sure

My order finally came in! I'm going to get more designs from their store eventually but these two stood out to me in a big way!

e: The displays!

I love how well the spider compliments my mushroom hearts :allears:

StrixNebulosa fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Jul 6, 2021

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
Oh boy I love pins (specifically vintage/antique). I inherited a bunch when my grandmother passed and I started wearing them on my scrubs when I had to follow an otherwise pretty strict dress code. Then my mom gave me a lot that she had because she never wore them and now I've started buying them myself.

Here are my vintage enamel pins:

mother's Girl Scout Brownie pin from the mid/late 50s, red dog of some sort, King Pine ski resort pin from the mid 60s, some kind of multi-metal inlay in black enamel

rainbow heart of unknown provenance (probably 60s or 70s), cloisonne butterfly, two tropical bird tie tacks, a powder enamel on copper butterfly my mom made at sleepaway camp in the 60s, and a 3D hydrangea (?) with a dangling rhinestone dewdrop.

I have many many more pins but they aren't enamel and do not fit in this thread.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

My new pin is here!

I'm going to have to slow it down a little as I have a proper collection now, but drat if these aren't satisfying!

CantDecideOnAName
Jan 1, 2012

Was this life,
was this all?
I don't tend to like things that are obviously fandom-y, but I can't resist the Hollow Knight pins because if you don't know the game it's just neat designs.

And today my other impulse purchase came in!

A quick updated shot of my pins

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

I think these carousel horses of mythology are beautifully done. I'm ordering two for myself and one for my son.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/canismythologia-pins/mythical-carousel-a-set-of-pins-based-on-world-mythology/description

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
I covered my backpack in pins. I don't remember where I got all of them, but if anybody is interested in a specific one I might be able to find it again.

I also collect props and objects from my favorite movies, shows, etc. Patches are fun because they are, by their nature, identifiable, colorful and full of imagery and symbols.

deoju fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Jul 16, 2021

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Got pin and book mail today!

Napoleon Nelson
Nov 8, 2012

StrixNebulosa posted:

Got pin and book mail today!

That's a great looking nautilus!

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

Speaking of books and pins, I got a pre-order bonus!

I'd like it if more publishers offered bonuses like this, but I would also like it if they did a better job designing enamel pins. This is the first "pre-order this book and get a pin" that I've caught in time and actually gone for, because a lot of them look like an absolute mess. Don't just make a mini version of the book cover!! It's so cluttered!!! Even this one I would have liked better without the text or the circle background, if it had just been the hand holding a cup of tea with steam. For a pre-order bonus they don't really go for the kind of premium hard enamel manufacturer that can pull off a really complex design, with soft enamel that's not level with the metal edges I think simplicity is key. However, I am also persnickety as a motherfucker, so book publishers offering free swag maybe shouldn't listen to me, who knows.

I'm gonna do some kind of book-themed cross-stitch probably and then stick this to it. Have y'all seen those magnetic needle-minders that also look like enamel pins? They are precision targeted to me as a demographic.

(Etsy link)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

I got another new pin in, this time from a kickstarter!

StrixNebulosa fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Aug 6, 2021