Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

Serendipitaet posted:

Hell yeah, very cool. I live on the other side of the Stadtpark and I don't go south of the Elbe as much as I should because of the city traffic.

That's understandable, on shorter weekday rides I usually go north as well, but it's okay on the weekend, especially if you start early. And having a ferry ride on your way back is just so chill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Thread just reminded me of this guy I knew who used to do really odd things with his shoelaces and then have them done up super loose because “it means the paramedics can get them off quicker if I get hit by a car and don’t have to ruin them”. Like they wouldn’t just slash the laces and pull them off anyway.

If you left your shoes off in his house you would come back to them with the laces done up weird, like he would pretend he was going to the bathroom and take your shoes with him to “correct” them.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

learnincurve posted:

Thread just reminded me of this guy I knew who used to do really odd things with his shoelaces and then have them done up super loose because “it means the paramedics can get them off quicker if I get hit by a car and don’t have to ruin them”. Like they wouldn’t just slash the laces and pull them off anyway.

If you left your shoes off in his house you would come back to them with the laces done up weird, like he would pretend he was going to the bathroom and take your shoes with him to “correct” them.

you hang around with the strangest people

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
The north of England never seems that strange until you leave.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

learnincurve posted:

This is why I just wear flip flops 99% of the time :colbert:

Even when biking. But then I just go for leisurely rides to the gym or around the city.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

Wow who could have predicted these dorks would hit someone!

Yeah I think the allure of watching it is gone for me after that

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

She lives

Full Build:
- Colnago C60 (custom drilled)
- Super Record EPS 11s
- Winspace Hypers
- Hutchinson fusion 25mm tubless
- Tune Speedneedle
- Lambda Racing Carbon Aero Bars
- Deda zero 130mm stem
- Hope 160mm centerlock rotors
- Juin Tech GT-F 4 pot hybrid calipers
- Peaty's Tubeless valves
- KMC X11 chain
- Jagwire Elite links and brake cable
- Emco 1 piece steel casette

Weight 7.55kg

Todo:
- transfer fit properly
- install crank wave washer which i had forgotten so shifting on the front is messed up
- Chain wax

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
On one hand it kinda sucks I'm back to getting spit out the back of the A group in the Tues/Thurs morning ride, but on the other hand seeing as we keep setting records at least it's not only because I was lazy over winter and got slow.

I mean, that's still part of it, but Christ did this ride get turned up to 11.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

- install crank wave washer which i had forgotten so shifting on the front is messed up

The classic campy blunder of putting them just a tad too low. Dunno what it is about their hood-band clamp angle, but I always get deceived.
Good luck with tweaking the front shifting. Does EPS have trim positions? Or is it fully automated?

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

kimbo305 posted:

The classic campy blunder of putting them just a tad too low. Dunno what it is about their hood-band clamp angle, but I always get deceived.
Good luck with tweaking the front shifting. Does EPS have trim positions? Or is it fully automated?

You can trim it pretty easily but without the wave washe the cranks have some laterally play which is why i was getting inconsistent shifting.

Also, any recommendations for a cheap saddle bag?

Going to go visit a friend in oxford this weekend and would like to cycle it but need to bring along a change of clothes and shoes. Apidura seems to be the default but it's probably only going to get used once or twice

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

Also, any recommendations for a cheap saddle bag?

Going to go visit a friend in oxford this weekend

It's gonna be have to be whatever you can find in a shop, right?
With more time, and if you wanted new, maybe a Rock Bros: https://www.ebay.com/itm/154224726737

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

look at alpkit for cheaper jumbo saddle bags

El Laucha
Oct 9, 2012

Fatigue has finally caught up to me :(

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal
How're the winspace wheels? Everything YouTube claims they are?

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

I spent literal hours late last night & again tonight poking around my front derailleur and eventually managed to improve my shifting a bit :dance:

Trying to judge "is this straight" and "is this tense enough/too tense" and whatever... it was a pain. Certainly satisfying in the end though!
And well I figured that worst case I'd just take it into a shop so not much to lose besides time.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Angryhead posted:

I spent literal hours late last night & again tonight poking around my front derailleur and eventually managed to improve my shifting a bit :dance:

Trying to judge "is this straight" and "is this tense enough/too tense" and whatever... it was a pain. Certainly satisfying in the end though!
And well I figured that worst case I'd just take it into a shop so not much to lose besides time.

Good for you. It can be hard for some high tension FDs and only one person dealing with the cable bolting.
Worst case would be if you do it so many times that your cable end frays apart :(

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

Shadowhand00 posted:

No creaking despite me being at the weight limit and they sound cool. Beyond that i've changed so much with the new bike it's difficult to tell how much is the wheels, i think they are way stiffer then the mavic's i was on before but imo on the negative side that translates into them maybe being a little more skittish around corners and a tad less comfy for the same pressure. I think definitely fantastic for the price and although i don't have a power meter i've definitely bought myself a few kph

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Shadowhand00 posted:

For $1100 you can get Light Bicycle wheels with DT240 hubs that are both wider profile AND lighter.

PolishPandaBear
Apr 10, 2009

TobinHatesYou posted:

For $1100 you can get Light Bicycle wheels with DT240 hubs that are both wider profile AND lighter.

I was looking at this and thinking about DT Swiss hubs but they only offer them in straight pull. Is that still worth it? Or I was thinking of going with Hope RS4s because they offer colors.

Edit: Looking at wheels because I broke a spoke on a ride this weekend and also noticed this:

And noticed a few other small cracks emanating from some other spoke holes.

PolishPandaBear fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Jul 7, 2021

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Is that a Velocity rim?
It looks like one.

PolishPandaBear
Apr 10, 2009

bicievino posted:

Is that a Velocity rim?
It looks like one.

It was OEM wheel from my Spec Roubaix. The sticker says Axis.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

FWIW the light bicycle wheels are great, but I'd go old 240 not new, or new 350.
The new 240s are louder and have had issues.
Or the hopes, which are rad but heavy.

Thom ZombieForm
Oct 29, 2010

I will eat you alive
I will eat you alive
I will eat you alive
today I learned that in a zwift FTP test, ERG mode deactivates after the warmup. I just took my first FTP test doing all 20 minutes at like 120 rpm, I feel dumb as gently caress but whatever it was "fun", and yes I was folding

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Thom ZombieForm posted:

today I learned that in a zwift FTP test, ERG mode deactivates after the warmup. I just took my first FTP test doing all 20 minutes at like 120 rpm, I feel dumb as gently caress but whatever it was "fun", and yes I was folding

Have you ever paced a 20min effort? If not, do the ramp test instead.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

PolishPandaBear posted:

I was looking at this and thinking about DT Swiss hubs but they only offer them in straight pull. Is that still worth it?

I don't really see a problem -- are you concerned about sourcing replacement spokes?

PolishPandaBear
Apr 10, 2009
I'm not too worried about weight. I'd prefer a stronger wheelset and am thinking of 28 hole too rather than 24.

kimbo305 posted:

I don't really see a problem -- are you concerned about sourcing replacement spokes?
Yeah, that's my concern with straight pull. I guess I could always just order extra spokes right off the bat to keep around.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
I have been spending long bike rides dreaming of the next bike I’m going to build and what rides I’m going to do. This poo poo is endless

PolishPandaBear
Apr 10, 2009

Time posted:

I have been spending long bike rides dreaming of the next bike I’m going to build and what rides I’m going to do. This poo poo is endless

I'm going to LA for a week long work-cation and bringing my bike. My GF is laughing at me.

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013
So I have recieved my new Cube and it does look awesome.
But it also look like a kid bike compared to my old Canyon

I measure 1m77, 84cm isneam, long lower legs, short torso. The cube customer support said I was inbetween 53 and 56 so I went with 53.

Giant size guide said I should get a TCR size M and it's pretty much the same frame geometry

I have like 1cm of saddlepost left before hitting max length.
It's too small isn't it ?

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Who threw this cat at me?
Clapping Larry

Krogort posted:

That just means its 1cm longer than it needs to be.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Krogort posted:

I measure 1m77, 84cm isneam, long lower legs, short torso. The cube customer support said I was inbetween 53 and 56 so I went with 53.

Giant size guide said I should get a TCR size M and it's pretty much the same frame geometry

Probably. The next size up would be better I think but you could make this work if the bar height is comfortable enough.

Nice kit too.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Yeh I can see where they are coming from when they said that size, and it could be adapted to the fit you like with spending more money, but that would be a bit daft if you can get an exchange for the larger size imo.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
Been up visiting my mum for the last week, which was quite the transition from one of the flattest places in the world.

For reference, this is from a map of the "top 200 climbs in the UK" (based on Simon Warren's books), around where I live:

And my mum's, at the same scale:

I did three rides in the area, two with my gf who is new to cycling and doesn't like climbs yet so the solo one had to count. I got 4 of them - two from the top 100 and two from 101-200 - and compared to the "big" climbs around here they were a bit brutal. A big climb round here is 1.8km at 3%. Up there, however,

(The equal highest paved pass in England, the last km averages > 15%).

Not ashamed to say I went pop about 200m from the top, especially as it was the third major climb of the day. No pictures from any summits because at higher altitudes it was hailing and I just wanted to get down the other side without dying.

In summation:

vs

noting the different scales.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

learnincurve posted:

The north of England never seems that strange until you leave.

I'm from the north of england and have never encountered anything like that

serious gaylord posted:

Cheers to you all and if you've got one of my kits, its probably one of the rarest in the world!

Good kit, can't get enough

highme posted:

If you’re in Portland (or thereabouts) my buddy Mike is selling a 56cm Jake the Snake for $500

Good bikes, semi-retired my one now to live at my mum's after sticking some road parts on. If I fancy doing gravel rides ever I'll probably bring it back down, though.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Krogort posted:

imo yes.
I'm 1.5 cm shorter than you, with 5cm shorter inseam, and I ride a 56.

The bike looks small under you even in that very relaxed position - if you lean forward at all it's going to be very cramped.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Has anyone used Cane Creek 10 stuff with its plastic crown races and compression rings?
Wondering if I should use a different top half or just live with it.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

https://twitter.com/jkass99/status/1412870574485823489?s=19
Can bikes be considered to be technicals?

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

kimbo305 posted:

Has anyone used Cane Creek 10 stuff with its plastic crown races and compression rings?
Wondering if I should use a different top half or just live with it.

I threw one on my cross bike because I was thinking I was only going to ride it another season and then sell it. Put one of those FSA .25mm spacers between the top compression ring and top cap and it'll be fine. The 40 is worth the extra dough if you're keeping the bike longer.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

EvilJoven posted:

I threw one on my cross bike because I was thinking I was only going to ride it another season and then sell it. Put one of those FSA .25mm spacers between the top compression ring and top cap and it'll be fine. The 40 is worth the extra dough if you're keeping the bike longer.

I have an FSA Orbit Z top half I can use. Only reason I don't use the bottom is cuz I'd steepen the HTA a bit. Assuming HTA is calculated with the specced headset stack, which... I dunno?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
A classic technical has (at least) 2 crew: driver and gunner. Gunner stands in the bed of the pickup, behind the driver. For a bike, the equivalent would be a gunner standing on the extended axle posts of the rear wheel, firing over the driver's head. Maybe put the bipod on the driver's helmet?