Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Oh, this seems like the perfect thread to talk about this book I just read on a whim and really, really liked.

It's called Mieruko-chan (official release link)

and it's essentially a horror-themed story about a girl that one day starts seeing monstrosities everywhere.

But it's a bunch of genres spliced together. So it's a slice of life, because she goes on trying to live her life as normally as possible while ignoring all the abominations popping up wherever she goes. But it's also a mystery because she (and the audience) try to figure out what's going on, what are all those monsters, and why some are dangerous enough that they will attack the girl if they realize she can see them.

On top of that there's also humor (subtle and obvious) and legit heart warming moments (sort of spoilery: when the audience is introduced to her parents at the end of one of the volumes).

These two panels in context for instance are hilarious, trust me.

It's a roller-coaster of emotions, which is why I rather like it. The art, especially the monstrosities, is absurdly well done. Check it out if any of the above piqued your interest.

Edit: and this is a good reminder to use the search function, as this manga has already been brought up here a couple of times before! Sorry, I just found out about it and wanted to share my enthusiasm for it.

Saoshyant fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Jul 1, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde
^ It's good. And it's getting an anime :woop:

Mysteries, Maidens, And Mysterious Disappearances (and 🐉s)

copy
Jul 26, 2007

Didn't know Mieruko had an official TL out yet. I'll have to pick it up since it's a lot of fun. Def looking forward to the anime.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

New Helpful Ghost

Ghost Girl has a promising future in WWE

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I can't remember the name of it anymore, what was the manga about the two girls going into the dangerous otherworld full of illusion monsters and stuff?

They ended up finding abandoned army soldiers in there and one of them lost a friend in there and that's why she keeps going back. One of them ended up with a weird eye that can see through the illusions the monsters disguise themselves with and the other one's fingertips are transparent now. I can't even remember if it belonged in this thread or a different one.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

RareAcumen posted:

I can't remember the name of it anymore, what was the manga about the two girls going into the dangerous otherworld full of illusion monsters and stuff?

They ended up finding abandoned army soldiers in there and one of them lost a friend in there and that's why she keeps going back. One of them ended up with a weird eye that can see through the illusions the monsters disguise themselves with and the other one's fingertips are transparent now. I can't even remember if it belonged in this thread or a different one.

Otherside Picnic

A jargogle
Feb 22, 2011
^Glad to catch up with that one, still really good

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Thank you very much!

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.
New interrogation princess
Its a class fieldtrip to the torture chambers. Rip Hellhorde Lord.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Shadows House 104
Emilico Kate, this is a sneaking mission

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib

Huzzah! posted:

Its a class fieldtrip to the torture chambers. Rip Hellhorde Lord.

i love this goofy manga its the best to wipe out those monday vibes

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Nate RFB posted:

Shadows House 104
Emilico Kate, this is a sneaking mission

I think you mean "odd Jobs" as Kate might be the person that encountered our young gymnast at the circus.

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

New Sleepy Princess

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

:ohdear:

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Shadows House 105: The Promised Starry Night
Cubari | Mangadex

That's one heck of a final page to leave us on.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

The Hell-Lord is such a good Dad.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Two new Sleepy Princesses

big #LifeGoals right here

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Brought To You By posted:

Shadows House 105: The Promised Starry Night
Cubari | Mangadex

That's one heck of a final page to leave us on.

Yak of Wrath
Feb 24, 2011

Keeping It Together
Dainana Joshikai Houkou discovers the new vaping.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Shadows House 106

Never change Emilico

This really WAS a sneaking mission after all

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

New sleepy princess
Demon King and Princess getting high together. :snoop:

L-O-N
Sep 13, 2004

Pillbug
New Vampeerz.

:love: conquers all.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

there is a frightening lack of this up on MD and Dynasty and nobody is doing anything about it

why?

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Nate RFB posted:

Shadows House 106

Never change Emilico

This really WAS a sneaking mission after all
mind = blown

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

New Interrogation Princess

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Ganbatte, Sakura.

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

New Useless Ponko
Just an ordinary school festival.
Rip Gramps and Yuuna, eaten by a robo-shark.

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

New Shimeji Simulation

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
Uggghhh yeesh. 'Is it tough being a friend?' the manga about the guy getting all meta about being the stereotypical dumb friend of the chosen one, just got really loving rapey/creepy in a recent chapter.

Yak of Wrath
Feb 24, 2011

Keeping It Together
Does anyone know where Penny Theater are posting their scans these days? I'm getting notifications they are still posting chapters I just don't know where.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Yak of Wrath posted:

Does anyone know where Penny Theater are posting their scans these days? I'm getting notifications they are still posting chapters I just don't know where.

Looks like r/Manga has someone posting dropbox links. Which is annoying because apparently I missed an entire volume of Touge Oni which is the one series they are keeping up with I'm most interested in. On the other hand I'm gonna binge this poo poo like crack.

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

New Interrogation Princess

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

Uggghhh yeesh. 'Is it tough being a friend?' the manga about the guy getting all meta about being the stereotypical dumb friend of the chosen one, just got really loving rapey/creepy in a recent chapter.

I skip a lot of Isekai for being way too horny for the premise to carry it through.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
I've been keeping up with the scanlation of Call of the night and if there was ever a chapter that deserved the :tviv: emote it is chapter 63.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.

Brought To You By posted:

I've been keeping up with the scanlation of Call of the night and if there was ever a chapter that deserved the :tviv: emote it is chapter 63.

I just started reading the first few chapters, and now I am getting hopes this doesn't pull a Tokyo Ghoul and switch from interesting character drama, to terrible generic Shōnen.

Vesi
Jan 12, 2005

pikachu looking at?

Kokoro Wish posted:

I just started reading the first few chapters, and now I am getting hopes this doesn't pull a Tokyo Ghoul and switch from interesting character drama, to terrible generic Shōnen.

no worries, I actually dropped it because there wasn't enough action

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Kokoro Wish posted:

It doesn't go that road, it does increase the action a bit but it's more a spike when a couple characters are introduced.

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

New Sleepy Princess

Vtuber queen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

:greencube: