Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Merritt has done a hell of a job saving himself in this playoff, goddamn

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

TROY MERRITT THAT SECOND SHOT

GOD drat :stare:

E: AND DAVIS NEARLY HOLED HIS RESPONSE :stare::stare:

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Jesus Christ those approach shots.

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

Come on dude. Make a putt.
e: guess it didn't matter

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Good for Cam :toot:

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
That was fun. Hate he didn't have a bigger response for his first pga win though

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

That's got to feel so weird, you have a phenomenal 17 and 18 to grab a share of the lead, then in a playoff you keep missing putts and eventually win because the other guy biffed a short one.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

DJExile posted:

That's got to feel so weird, you have a phenomenal 17 and 18 to grab a share of the lead, then in a playoff you keep missing putts and eventually win because the other guy biffed a short one.
I'm sure he'll get over it with his $1.35 million winners check. :v:

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

Kirios posted:

Y'all should come up to the PNW so we can go to Bandon or Bend.

(I would be fine with anywhere honestly).

That would be loving siiiiick

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat
Last time I went to Bandon they only had 2 courses open I think. Long overdue.

Man, went out for a 630 tee time yesterday. Felt good, felt loose, wasn’t drinking and something like a virus passed through me and the rest of my weekend foursome and we all collectively poo poo the bed for 18 holes. Asked the ‘good’ golfer among us for his score on 15 and he told me to gently caress off, took the card and ripped it up. Straight dog poo poo outing…

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer
Well, I managed to play 27 holes this weekend, 9 solo(with some rando twosome) on Friday in a nice 1:45 pace on foot, even, and then a grueling 5:20 pace 18 holes with a foursome of friends. I am sore as all :getout: in my hands, wrists, and lower legs, as well as sunburnt all over. I feel like poo poo but loved it all the same. Shot 30 over on the 9, and 51 over on the 18.. which turns out to be my best round ever! :sun: I've been averaging about +30/+60 on 9/18 holes since I started getting into golf a bit more seriously this summer, so I'm stoked about dropping 9 strokes off my average. And there was room to easily drop another 5 or so strokes if I had taken some more time lining up those 2'-4' Putts.

What's everyone's opinions on 3 woods? I have a Taylormade M2 5 wood and a M4 4 hybrid in my bag, as well as an older Callaway RAZR fit driver, and I was wondering what club I should grab to fill that 14th spot. I've been to two different golf shops that discouraged me from getting a 3 wood, I got the impression from them that they are falling out of favour these days? My clubshead speed is in the 90-100 mph ish range, if that helps narrow it down. I've already got 44.5°/49°/52°/56° wedges in the bag and irons from 5-9, and don't really feel the need in my game to add a 60° lob wedge.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Sounds like we need to organize an extended weekend Bandon trip! Let me be the first to throw my hat in the mix. Just let me know when we can do it.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter
How do you guys overcome mental blocks when stepping up to the ball?

I played 36 holes this weekend with a friend who is much much better than me (around 8-10 handicap, as of this post my estimated handicap is 36.3 in the app I use.) during the round he noted to me that my practice swings are all textbook perfect but then I step up to the ball and it all falls apart. This is especially true on holes that have a hazard you have to shoot over.

After he said this, I started to take note of my practice swing on the next hole that had a water hazard and did 3 practice swings one step away from the ball with a 7 iron. Every practice swing felt good, I took a small divot just in front of the ball, I felt a good rotation in my hips, and my back foot come up. My friend recorded it and all 3 practice swings looked the same. I then took one step forward and lined up to the ball and tried to do the same thing. Every single shot I struck it poorly and hit the ground before the ball, or topped it, and they all shanked to the right.

In the videos he took of my practice and real swing there is a night and day difference, so there seems to be something to this psychological effect of standing over a ball.

I've got a bunch of lessons coming up and it's something I'm going to bring up with the instructor, just wondering if you guys had any tips.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Bizarre golf/murder news. Golf pro notices a truck at one of the greens on his course. Goes to investigate and is shot in the head. Investigators find two other bodies (including owner of truck) in the bed. Suspect still on the loose

https://www.cnn.com/2021/07/05/us/gene-siller-pro-golfer-shot-killed-georgia-golf-course/index.html

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Are there any variations that could be played when there’s one golfer in your group that’s a lot worse than the others?

Someone mentioned Wolf a while back and while it’s good it still is unfair for the weaker golfer.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

RCarr posted:

Are there any variations that could be played when there’s one golfer in your group that’s a lot worse than the others?

Someone mentioned Wolf a while back and while it’s good it still is unfair for the weaker golfer.

Bingo Bango Bongo

Actual score doesn't matter, it's about first on the green, closest to the pin, first in the hole.

https://www.golfmonthly.com/features/the-game/what-is-bingo-bango-bongo-67061

Only issue is that you really do have to adhere to etiquette on the green because you aren't allowed to tap in after a putt if there's someone outside of your ball.

Shrapnig fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Jul 5, 2021

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.

MustardFacial posted:

I played 36 holes this weekend with a friend who is much much better than me (around 8-10 handicap, as of this post my estimated handicap is 36.3 in the app I use.) during the round he noted to me that my practice swings are all textbook perfect but then I step up to the ball and it all falls apart. This is especially true on holes that have a hazard you have to shoot over.

After he said this, I started to take note of my practice swing on the next hole that had a water hazard and did 3 practice swings one step away from the ball with a 7 iron. Every practice swing felt good, I took a small divot just in front of the ball, I felt a good rotation in my hips, and my back foot come up. My friend recorded it and all 3 practice swings looked the same. I then took one step forward and lined up to the ball and tried to do the same thing. Every single shot I struck it poorly and hit the ground before the ball, or topped it, and they all shanked to the right.

In the videos he took of my practice and real swing there is a night and day difference, so there seems to be something to this psychological effect of standing over a ball.

I've got a bunch of lessons coming up and it's something I'm going to bring up with the instructor, just wondering if you guys had any tips.

The real answer: stop taking so many practice swings. You’re getting in your own head. Just step up to the ball, waggle the club a little bit, and hit it.

The other thing being that if you’re taking 3 full practice swings before every shot, divots and all, then you’re probably playing pretty slow.

Huskers
May 9, 2009

MustardFacial posted:

This is difficult to do and more on the sports psychology side of things, but visualizing your shot and focusing on a target will help you more than any routine or practice swing.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter

Daric posted:

The real answer: stop taking so many practice swings. You’re getting in your own head. Just step up to the ball, waggle the club a little bit, and hit it.

The other thing being that if you’re taking 3 full practice swings before every shot, divots and all, then you’re probably playing pretty slow.

My normal pace of play is to take one practice swing (two if I gently caress up the first one) and then hit the ball. I only did 3 per ball for that comparison and because there was nobody behind us so I figured we have some time to waste on this. I used to just rock up and hit the ball with about the same inconsistency and results as I do now with taking a practice swing + real shot. But taking the practice swing has shown that I know how to swing the club, I just can't hit the ball.

What you've said though is making me think the issue might be in my approach and setup, most of the time it takes me about 10-15 seconds to get into position, aim, make sure my grip is ok, make sure my stance is ok, etc before I even start my backswing.

If I have time I want to hit the range tonight and try to just walk up and hit the loving ball without thinking.

Huskers posted:

This is difficult to do and more on the sports psychology side of things, but visualizing your shot and focusing on a target will help you more than any routine or practice swing.

I already do both of these things and the shot in my head is not the shot that gets made.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

Soiled Meat

MustardFacial posted:

My normal pace of play is to take one practice swing (two if I gently caress up the first one) and then hit the ball. I only did 3 per ball for that comparison and because there was nobody behind us so I figured we have some time to waste on this. I used to just rock up and hit the ball with about the same inconsistency and results as I do now with taking a practice swing + real shot. But taking the practice swing has shown that I know how to swing the club, I just can't hit the ball.

What you've said though is making me think the issue might be in my approach and setup, most of the time it takes me about 10-15 seconds to get into position, aim, make sure my grip is ok, make sure my stance is ok, etc before I even start my backswing.

If I have time I want to hit the range tonight and try to just walk up and hit the loving ball without thinking.

I already do both of these things and the shot in my head is not the shot that gets made.

If I’m over the ball more than 3 seconds before swinging it’s already going to be a lovely shot. Far as practice swing goes, I started taking a practice swing 90 degrees to the ball or swinging in front of the ball as opposed to behind it. Anything to mix it up.

If y’all are down for a Bandon trip me and a buddy might be in. We’re lovely, I’m an 18 and he’s probably a 25 handicap, but we play fast and are only mild assholes.

Summit
Mar 6, 2004

David wanted you to have this.
Practice swings are good for rhythm but are only tangentially related to actual golf. It’s very easy to swing pretty when you don’t actually have to hit the ball or care about the results of its flight.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

I've stopped doing any practice swings, mainly because I hate watching people in front of me take them when they could be hitting the drat ball and moving things along.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter

AndrewP posted:

I've stopped doing any practice swings, mainly because I hate watching people in front of me take them when they could be hitting the drat ball and moving things along.

I’ll be sure to do keep it up then. I’ll probably have to turn up the volume on my Bluetooth speaker first though.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Got to play with my dad on Friday. Just a couple of years ago, he was shooting his age, now he's . . . not. Driver is about 170, has a lot of bad shots. Lost most of the vision in one eye and has zero depth perception (still drives, of course). It's amazing he's as good as he is, just from muscle memory, really. He works at a golf course for the free golf and we played there, Kentucky Dam Village Golf course. Fantastic shape, tough design in the woods with lots of rolling hills and elevation changes. The greens had zero poa annua grass, so they were smooth and predictable. Drop a ball from shoulder height, it left a mark on the soft greens.

However: I expected a not great round as it's my first round at or near sea level in four years, and playing with rental clubs. But, oh, those rental clubs:

PXL_20210702_115447078 by B. B., on Flickr

If you look closely, there are two 6 irons and two 7 irons. The 5w is a junior, I almost bent the shaft in half on swings. It was the slowest putter I've ever used and on slow greens. The Golden Bear MV20 "hybrid steel" irons were interesting. Turns out, they have no rental sets. They rent leftover clubs that people have left behind at the course. This was the closest to a full set of playable clubs I could find. One set had so much dirt on them I couldn't tell if they were playable or not.

Edit:

This was a 9 hole executive golf course, lighted, at the local Holiday Inn. It was left to no maintenance about 10 years ago. The lights were in every fairway and on the greens for night play.

Executive Golf by B. B., on Flickr

torgeaux fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Jul 6, 2021

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe
If you're taking several practice swings, you're only loving yourself up.

I line up behind the ball, see what line I'm going for, then set up a foot away from the ball. First swing, thinking about my swing thought. Second swing, checking where I'm brushing the grass. One more swing to adjust if needed, and then step up, take the swing, no loving around. Shouldn't take more than 30 seconds.

There's nothing worse than standing on the fairway or tee box, watching one dude in front of you take 15 practice swings, and then shank the ball 40 yards. Well, there is one thing worse, and that's being paired up with somebody who does that.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

ElGroucho posted:

There's nothing worse than standing on the fairway or tee box, watching one dude in front of you take 15 practice swings, and then shank the ball 40 yards. Well, there is one thing worse, and that's being paired up with somebody who does that.

Yes there is. When the same dude stands completely still at address for 20 seconds after taking the practice swings then shanks the ball 40 yards.

Dr. Capco
May 21, 2007

Pillbug
I stole the preshot routine from Genevieve Ling who plays on golf sidekick's channel sometimes and it's made my last few rounds way more stress free. One practice swing with my one swing thought, 5 steps backward to visualize the shot I want, 5 steps forward, lineup and hit it. Takes like 20 seconds and makes hitting the ball almost mindless.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

MustardFacial posted:

I’ll be sure to do keep it up then. I’ll probably have to turn up the volume on my Bluetooth speaker first though.

speakers don't bother me! listen to music, drink, smoke, wear jeans and a t shirt, whatever you want. just don't take forever.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe

AndrewP posted:

speakers don't bother me! listen to music, drink, smoke, wear jeans and a t shirt, whatever you want. just don't take forever.

There's only one noise that bothers me when golfing. You can talk and laugh and joke during my driver swing, my iron swing, chipping, whatever, I don't loving care.

But once we're on the green, I don't want to hear "Oh, easy putt" or "You got this" or anything like that. I'd rather somebody said, "What a loving mess of a putt" or "Goddamn, what a nightmare" than something positive. Because if you tell me "Easy putt" and I miss, I'm going to lose my poo poo.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

ElGroucho posted:

There's only one noise that bothers me when golfing. You can talk and laugh and joke during my driver swing, my iron swing, chipping, whatever, I don't loving care.

But once we're on the green, I don't want to hear "Oh, easy putt" or "You got this" or anything like that. I'd rather somebody said, "What a loving mess of a putt" or "Goddamn, what a nightmare" than something positive. Because if you tell me "Easy putt" and I miss, I'm going to lose my poo poo.

Wait...am I ElGroucho? This is exactly me. I'm so confused.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

Soiled Meat

Dr. Capco posted:

I stole the preshot routine from Genevieve Ling who plays on golf sidekick's channel sometimes and it's made my last few rounds way more stress free. One practice swing with my one swing thought, 5 steps backward to visualize the shot I want, 5 steps forward, lineup and hit it. Takes like 20 seconds and makes hitting the ball almost mindless.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xFIt0Th3O_M

This woman is magic and I wish I had even half of her consistency. It must be so fun to play a round with her, I bet she could scrub a round in 2:15.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
I hate music on the course, but it doesn't affect my game. Just that the folks who carry Bluetooth speakers usually have poo poo taste.

Talk, play music, doesn't matter, just don't start doing either when I'm hitting. Brake popping, pawing thru your clubs, removing your glove, just don't make a new sound when I'm swinging.

Playing with deaf retirees is rough, because they just don't realize how loving loud they are.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

How long do you take to locate a ball before you declare it lost? Lately I'll just take maybe 30-45 seconds tops before I'll declare it gone, especially if I'm near deep brush. My FIL on the other hand will take seemingly forever, driving around in circles and sometimes near adjacent fairways looking for it. I can't stand it

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

shyduck posted:

How long do you take to locate a ball before you declare it lost? Lately I'll just take maybe 30-45 seconds tops before I'll declare it gone, especially if I'm near deep brush. My FIL on the other hand will take seemingly forever, driving around in circles and sometimes near adjacent fairways looking for it. I can't stand it

yeah I give it a minute at most. Toss another down and keep going.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

If I’m almost certain it’s in a smallish area and maybe just under a leaf or down in some rough maybe a minute. If it’s in any sort of woods or tall grass and I don’t see it in like 10 seconds I’m dropping unless I’m waiting for others in my group of ahead of me.

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan
Evidence that golf is stupid #4827294:

This is the last round I played where I actually got to the range to practice twice in the days leading up to it and showed up to the course feeling great. I flushed every shot on the range before and had a good short game warm up.

Since that round, I've been to the range zero times.

I played in a club tournament last Thursday, and two skins games on Saturday and yesterday. All three rounds I woke up feeling like poo poo and in my pre-round warm up, which is always hitting ~30 balls, I hit maybe 5 shots that felt good in total across all three rounds.

Thursday (tournament - 100 people - won low gross):

Saturday (20 person skins game - won low net + skins):

Yesterday (24 person skins game - won low net + skins):

I won't bore everyone with the story about why that 67 could/should have easily been a 63, but it could/should have.

Anyway, the lesson here appears to be: never practice. It's a waste of time.

In other news, since the pandemic started, every course we play at that didn't already have 10 or 12 minute intervals for their tee times switched to 10 or 12 minute intervals as a vague attempt at promoting social distancing. I haven't played a round of golf that took more than 4:10 in over a year. It's been glorious.

Now that things are "opening up" and Simi Hills got a new course manager, he had the bright idea of going back to loving 8 minute tee time intervals over the holiday weekend. Result: 5:45 round on Monday. Why people who manage golf courses haven't figured this poo poo out already is baffling.

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

Don't know if I'll watch much of this Match thing on Tnt but the course is pretty beautiful.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Wiltsghost posted:

Don't know if I'll watch much of this Match thing on Tnt but the course is pretty beautiful.
Per usual, Phil is basically the main attraction in terms of both shotmaking and trash talking.

nerox
May 20, 2001
They should replace Rodgers with John Daly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012

daslog posted:

Yes there is. When the same dude stands completely still at address for 20 seconds after taking the practice swings then shanks the ball 40 yards.

I stand at address for probably too long, but I don’t do practice swings or anything because I know I’m borderline on the slow side once at address. Everything else is good to go before I step up to swing and that keeps me ahead of pace and anyone I’m playing with though.