Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010

Philippe posted:

Yeah, I didn't walk away from it thinking "I wonder what Kojima thinks about X". I am curious about the possible Metal Gear shoutouts though, because there was not a single one in Death Stranding.

Kojima got so mad about people being confused by the flying whale in MGSV that he put flying/dead whales all over the place in DS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Zeron posted:

Kojima got so mad about people being confused by the flying whale in MGSV that he put flying/dead whales all over the place in DS.

between MGSV being a giant Moby Dick reference and Death Stranding being about “Beached Things” I think he just had whales on the brain in general

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Augus posted:

between MGSV being a giant Moby Dick reference and Death Stranding being about “Beached Things” I think he just had whales on the brain in general
The thing is you don't really need to guess what Kojima is into because he posts about all the films and poo poo he watches, he's not shy about it, he was all about posting Low Roar poo poo before Death Stranding. Surely by now somebody has figured out what we're into from the Director's Cut based on the photos he's posted on Twitter since late 2019.

Edit: like literally all he posts about is new blurays and CDs he's bought. If there's one person keeping physical media alive it's Hideo Kojima.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

This finally came out. Will have to build the Ludens Girl to ride it.

drkeiscool
Aug 1, 2014
Soiled Meat
i mostly just hope that the trikes and trucks feel a little better to drive in the director's cut.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

drkeiscool posted:

i mostly just hope that the trikes and trucks feel a little better to drive in the director's cut.

What was wrong with them in the original? I thought the vehicles were all great

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

They were, but there's one thing I don't like (and I'm sure has been talked over to death): you can't pick up cargo or crystals while riding a trike. It happened to me just yesterday: I was riding along, saw a golden hand, reflexively hit F, and careened off my trike, ruining my packages.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
I generally thought the truck was fine, although I mostly kept it to roads or extremely flat terrain. The trike I felt like had a lot of weirdness over rough terrain - it has a habit of just coming to a dead stop if you hit something at any angle.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The vehicles behave oddly when traveling on non-flat surfaces, which is odd given how much the game focuses on that.

Feels kinda like driving a horse in skyrim sometimes, like you're just rubbing it on the landscape until it goes weird and rockets off to where you want to go.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

The Cyberpunk 2077 missions rewards are amazing. Quality of life improvements that should have been in the game to begin with, like being able to always have your destination on screen. Also a loving silver cyborg hand that can punch good and makes you not use stamina.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I've started a new file, on very hard this time

it's been too long, i can't remember how long i want to bee-line story for unlocks before i proceed to officially Faffing About®

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

(faffing about was inevitable anyway, i only just got to lake knot distro)

I'm enjoying Very Hard on the whole - all the little stressors like balance, stamina/endurance, even my dang shoes have enough meaning now to make a difference. MULE combat is way more fun (if sometimes frustrating), too - though I partly attribute that to leaning heavily into the art of Throwing poo poo, which is funny every single loving time

The inflated boss health can gently caress right off though, they were already kinda lame bullet sponges and if I left them on VH it'd be 10x worse :argh:

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

IIRC you wanna go up until you unlock the trucks at the very least since that makes moving things around faster. Maybe even wait a bit longer to get the ziplines unlocked at Mamas place too.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Ciaphas posted:

(faffing about was inevitable anyway, i only just got to lake knot distro)

I'm enjoying Very Hard on the whole - all the little stressors like balance, stamina/endurance, even my dang shoes have enough meaning now to make a difference. MULE combat is way more fun (if sometimes frustrating), too - though I partly attribute that to leaning heavily into the art of Throwing poo poo, which is funny every single loving time

The inflated boss health can gently caress right off though, they were already kinda lame bullet sponges and if I left them on VH it'd be 10x worse :argh:

I only use VH to juice delivery XP gain. For bosses it's a waste of time.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

The Shame Boy posted:

IIRC you wanna go up until you unlock the trucks at the very least since that makes moving things around faster. Maybe even wait a bit longer to get the ziplines unlocked at Mamas place too.

i've been thinking about whether or not i want to restrict myself a little on the ziplines this time

probably gonna use em in the mountains anyway because gently caress That, but maybe the world doesn't need a zipline highway this time

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

very hard does make boss BTs drop absolute shitloads of chiralium, but I don't know why anyone would stick to that difficulty during a Mads Mikkelsen Shooting Extravaganza

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

guns are for wimps anyway

https://i.imgur.com/JcCDF5o.mp4

i love this stupid drat game

Mutant Headcrab
May 14, 2007

Ciaphas posted:

This. Never not yeet boxes.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

i need to try hitting one in melee with a smoke decoy in hand

not quite yeeting but if it detonates that makes up for it and then some

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Ciaphas posted:

What

I never knew you could throw them at people.

You're fighting them with irony. "Oh you want my packages? Here, have one"

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Philippe posted:

What

I never knew you could throw them at people.

You're fighting them with irony. "Oh you want my packages? Here, have one"

Yup, swing the package and let go of the shoulder button midway through the swing. Special delivery, motherfucker.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Goddamn. Well, I know what I'm doing for the rest of the game now.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Someone link to that video of that ridiculous MGS3 master playing Death Stranding please. I think it's relevant to the current discussion to see that again.

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

Oba-Ma... Oba-Ma! Oba-Ma, aasha deh!

Mierenneuker posted:

Someone link to that video of that ridiculous MGS3 master playing Death Stranding please. I think it's relevant to the current discussion to see that again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vEkULslCGNs

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

boy nothing like realizing I'm about to hit a Mads Mikkelsen Shooting Segment to kill my buzz

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

if I'm reading it right, this could reasonably be translated as MULE BATTLE, and now I'm thinking of the old mgs3 CRAB BATTLE video

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6tgsz7WbidU

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

That's a surprising amount of content.

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010
$10 to upgrade the PS4 version to the PS5 DC which seems pretty reasonable.

I'm curious if the new story stuff will have any new voice work or if it'll just be text based and recycled clips from the main game.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7KGPRmGGhlw

They're neither confirming or denying whether it's coming to PC, so I bet it's another timed exclusivity deal and PC will get it as DLC in a year or whatever

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

I'm playing through for the first time. I know der Strand means "the beach" so my personal game has been guessing who will say that in an email as part of a Kojima-esque info dump/philosophic waxing.

My money is on Heartman right now

night slime
May 14, 2014

repiv posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7KGPRmGGhlw

They're neither confirming or denying whether it's coming to PC, so I bet it's another timed exclusivity deal and PC will get it as DLC in a year or whatever

He said friend play and leaderboards...guessiing that's just the racing game but it would be cool to team up with another Sam.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Discovered this for myself by accident today: turns out being midair when an enemy ping sweeps past will juke it! The more you know.

https://i.imgur.com/BD9Ao77.mp4

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo
Pretty sure you can just jump at the right time too.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I assume as much, yeah. I wasn't even trying to do that, I was trying to regain control and send out that far-too-late counter-ping :v:

('course there was a mule like right there, but it's the principle of the thing dangit)

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

What's everybody's optimal backpack layout? Do you use a cover? Is the stabilizer worth it?

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

I like a cover, extra battery and tons of grenade pouches for BT encounters. If I'm heading into new territory I'll generally take a ladder and set of climbing anchors but not more than one of each unless I have good reason. Almost everything else is on a needs basis. The stabiliser does make it impossible to fall over (with some great animations) but it isn't worth the space it takes up for me, keeping your footing is rarely difficult.

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Party Boat posted:

I like a cover, extra battery and tons of grenade pouches for BT encounters. If I'm heading into new territory I'll generally take a ladder and set of climbing anchors but not more than one of each unless I have good reason. Almost everything else is on a needs basis. The stabiliser does make it impossible to fall over (with some great animations) but it isn't worth the space it takes up for me, keeping your footing is rarely difficult.

Wow... exactly the same for me.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Party Boat posted:

Pretty much likewise though I usually go for two ladders - sometimes three. Useful things, those.

Backpack customizations are also the same - one battery and grenade pouches to fill. I also bring two to three container repair spray everywhere because holy poo poo does cargo erode fast on VH, i've had to burn cans in the middle of torrential downpour just to make sure I made it without damaging the cargo. (I've got a better eye now for overhangs to get dry in if there's no timefall shelters, at least :v:)

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Jul 10, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Cover for sure, then a ton of grenade things, but as soon as I got the better way to fight BTs, I relied on the grenade stock less and less and added a battery. I usually have on the charm that makes it easier to get closer to BTs undetected.