Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

my favorite modern who moment is still the bit where the doctor is forced by coincidence to do a racism on purpose so that rosa parks can still do the thing

can't wait until they do stonewall(they wouldnt because terf island but lol). the doctor throws the first stone/shot glass at a cop or more likely dresses up like a cop to start the raid because idk a dalek lives there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreezingInferno
Jul 15, 2010

THERE.
WILL.
BE.
NO.
BATTLE.
HERE!
poo poo felt really off when Doctor Who, the time-travelling weirdo who a season prior was decrying a hellworld capitalist system in space that literally monetized the air you breathe and murdered its employees to save on profit, visited space Amazon's shipping facilities to find it just as poo poo a place to work as real Amazon if not more so, and instead of tearing down the company had some centrist waffle about how capitalist systems aren't the problem, but the people who exploit them are.

And that was one of the more watchable episodes of Whittaker's first series.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
I wouldnt say the 9/10th Doctor Who episodes were without their fair share of bad episodes or convenient plotdevices either.
There is a reason series 5 felt like such a breath of fresh air to me after The End of Time.
But one thing I can say for Davies is that he at least (most of the time) stayed consistent and he managed to keep Moffat under control.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

Roach Warehouse posted:

I never watched Quantum Leap but I feel like I once read this happened in an episode of that show (or a spin-off novel or some such BS).
Gene Roddenberry submited a script about the Star Trek crew saving JFK then having to kill him again for the second third and fourth Star Trek movies. Scifi writers seem to want to kill JFK over and over again for some reason.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Mr Phillby posted:

Gene Roddenberry submited a script about the Star Trek crew saving JFK then having to kill him again for the second third and fourth Star Trek movies. Scifi writers seem to want to kill JFK over and over again for some reason.

It's a famous modern event that's surrounded in spectacle and mystery. Very easy for hacks and lazy sci-fi writers to take it and paste a big IT WAS ALIENS/TIME TRAVELERS/SPACE JESUS sticker on it.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

I remember kinda liking DR. Who but kinda tapping out when the, proper noun ?pomposity? , didn't sync with the actual childrens show content. Like all season they are talking about "Demon Run, When A Good Man Goes To War" and then it finally happens! The Good Man goes To War! And the dr. just kind of teleports around a space station instantly winning everything and theres a spitfire in space

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

(thanks to whoever brought up Billy Bat the other day, it almost made reading through the terrible weekend derails worth it!)

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

egg tats posted:

(thanks to whoever brought up Billy Bat the other day, it almost made reading through the terrible weekend derails worth it!)

holy poo poo

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Is that the end of that manga

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

Captain Invictus posted:

Is that the end of that manga

no this is volume 4 out of 20

Billy Bat is fuckin WILD ya'll

and if you're wondering, no Lee Harvey Oswald was not a character before this, and I haven't read past that chapter yet, but I doubt he'll be in it for more than another few chapters, if any

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

According to Wikipedia, Oswald is not responsible for JFK's assassination but accepts his fate as the scapegoat, and that's got me feeling some kind of way.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

Takoluka posted:

According to Wikipedia, Oswald is not responsible for JFK's assassination but accepts his fate as the scapegoat, and that's got me feeling some kind of way.

but what about in billy bat?

Gwen
Aug 17, 2011

I don't know if anyone's posted their stuff yet but Skip Intro's series on media and copaganda is p okay and their video on Blue Bloods (a TV show most of you probably? haven't heard of) is really good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KSDYBxFUN-g

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
Since we're on this tangent.
JFK was about as fantastically fictional as a history-movie could get.
Still a great piece of film-making though.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Takoluka posted:

we're talking about in the manga though not the real history

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Gwen posted:

I don't know if anyone's posted their stuff yet but Skip Intro's series on media and copaganda is p okay and their video on Blue Bloods (a TV show most of you probably? haven't heard of) is really good.

Bookmarking this for later!

I'd be curious if he ever did a critique of the newer, "woke" cable cop shows. My s/o was watching "The Rookie" , and that show consistently shows heroes cops saving the day and kissing babies...while having a sympathetic lefty professor character explain why she doesn't trust the police. I was losing my mind at the contradictions.

One episode even had a PTSD marine cop retire because she was afraid of losing control and shooting a suspect :confuoot:

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Billy Bat ftw

https://i.imgur.com/1lM9SoV.png

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

egg tats posted:

bendy and the ink machine EU got loving weird.

DeafNote posted:

Since we're on this tangent.
JFK was about as fantastically fictional as a history-movie could get.
Still a great piece of film-making though.

yeah but i loving hate that movie because it gave credence to a ton of conspiracy horseshit. like a ton of boomers can't wrap their mind around the fact that some weird little gently caress could just kill the president because he wanted to be big. the only jfk conspiracy media i ever liked was this,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KXKZ1IPnOs4
that game has issues but its underated as gently caress. i like donavan. he is a loving monster but he is a facinating one and at least he mostly hates the right people(dixicrat fucks and mobsters) and he is very well written and well acted.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Jul 7, 2021

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012
It is an interesting thing in science fiction where getting too close to an uncomfortable truth about the real world causes the cognitive restructuring to cope with it to become text. Sci fi tropes like time travel and alternate universes are the writer’s mind sliding around events and causality to find a comforting version of the world even if that version is impossible and absurd.

Pachylad
Jul 12, 2017

PRETTY INSANE STUFF I'LL TRY TO RECALL OFF THE CUFF RE: BILLY BAT BACK FROM MY WEEB PHASE (the early 10s, when I was in my late teens):

- The Disney stand-in here is implied to be a former assistant of our Japanese-American main character who took all the credit for inventing the Billy Bat character and is building up a not-Disney media conglomerate but actually the person you thought was the assistant is really a Holocaust victim who keeps said actual assistant hidden from the public
- a subplot focusing on an interracial couple - between the white heir of a coca cola company and a black female worker - and their son becomes the successor to said main character
- a Japanese director (who's an expy of Kubrick and/or Kurosawa??) is hired to direct a mock staging of the moon landing, which is weird because they actually did land on the moon but halfway through they switch footages when the astronauts find sketches of Billy Bat on the moon
- In the distant future (when interracial kid artist is a in his 40s-50s?), the son/grandson of the Holocaust victim becomes the new boss of the Billy Bat corporation and civilisation is in ruins
- somewhat hopeful ending where two soldiers (on opposing sides?) see a kid nearly starving to death but he's reading a Billy Bat comic...?

I don't know if this is the worst thing Urasawa has done (I remember having much more negative feelings towards 21st Century Boys) but this is easily the most bonkers.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Famethrowa posted:

Bookmarking this for later!

I'd be curious if he ever did a critique of the newer, "woke" cable cop shows. My s/o was watching "The Rookie" , and that show consistently shows heroes cops saving the day and kissing babies...while having a sympathetic lefty professor character explain why she doesn't trust the police. I was losing my mind at the contradictions.

One episode even had a PTSD marine cop retire because she was afraid of losing control and shooting a suspect :confuoot:

blue bloods is very unique in the modern cop shows. It's very much trying to recapture the Dick Wolf old school 'if you ever say a cop was bad not only are you wrong you probably in fact are a criminal' feel with every antagonist being a Free Republic level caricature of 'the libs' who just actively want to hurt cops without even caring about the issue at hand or anything. It's insane copaganda for boomers who think SVU has gotten too liberal.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!

Pachylad posted:

I don't know if this is the worst thing Urasawa has done (I remember having much more negative feelings towards 21st Century Boys) but this is easily the most bonkers.

You're making a pretty good case that it's the best thing he's ever done.

Gwen
Aug 17, 2011

sexpig by night posted:

blue bloods is very unique in the modern cop shows. It's very much trying to recapture the Dick Wolf old school 'if you ever say a cop was bad not only are you wrong you probably in fact are a criminal' feel with every antagonist being a Free Republic level caricature of 'the libs' who just actively want to hurt cops without even caring about the issue at hand or anything. It's insane copaganda for boomers who think SVU has gotten too liberal.
it's even weirder because the show is really good at shining a light on the exact circumstances of the problem and then always without fail waves it away with "personal responsibility". even in cases when it is explicitly brought up as systemic injustice.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah but i loving hate that movie because it gave credence to a ton of conspiracy horseshit. like a ton of boomers can't wrap their mind around the fact that some weird little gently caress could just kill the president because he wanted to be big. the only jfk conspiracy media i ever liked was this,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KXKZ1IPnOs4
that game has issues but its underated as gently caress. i like donavan. he is a loving monster but he is a facinating one and at least he mostly hates the right people(dixicrat fucks and mobsters) and he is very well written and well acted.

the mob thing is true though

Gwen
Aug 17, 2011

oswald was hired through mob channels right? like he wasn't a lone actor guy was penniless the bill was being footed by someone.

or is that nonsense I've internalized from somewhere.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Oswald was a guy the CIA paid to kill people and stir up poo poo in foreign countries. There is no other reason he'd be living with, paid by and generally connected to CIA guys while getting to go into communist countries that were banned to US citizen travel without issue. This does however look to have tapered off after a certain point. So it looks like they eventually just let him go and thought there would be no consequences for putting a professional terrorist out of a job.

Gwen
Aug 17, 2011

i knew he was ex-cia in all but name but did he just hang onto his rifle from that time? like as far as I know when he got cut out he was bouncing from friend to friend (lover in there I think?) with very little money

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

no he bought a milsurp carcano under a fake name

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

Gwen posted:

oswald was hired through mob channels right? like he wasn't a lone actor guy was penniless the bill was being footed by someone.

or is that nonsense I've internalized from somewhere.

I'm canadian so I might be missing part of the story but was there anything oswald did that was particularly expensive? like, he lived in dallas, so it's not like he needed a plane or a train ticket. the guns were around 500 bucks in 2020 money (according to wikipedia, which is quite helpful) but that's not, like, impossible to imagine he could have scraped that together.

(according to wikipedia he bought a new revolver and a surplus rifle months in advance, he did not use weapons that could have easily been traced back to him)

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Nothing really expensive especially if he able to live off his savings from CIA money for a bit. Lack of money very well might have been a motivating factor in killing el presidente.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

The mob thing is just as much of a conspiracy theory as multiple gunmen on the grassy knoll. Growing up in Dallas in the 80s and 90s was basically being in the epicenter of that conspiracy bullshit, and it is all equally unfeasible and ridiculous. While virtually all of those conspiracies have fallen out of favor as boomers moved on to QAnon, the mob-involvement thing seems to be lingering because some gangsters started spreading rumors amongst themselves and eventually repeated those rumors to credulous authors who were writing books about the mob. Then those books got made into highbrow movies where those rumors got thrown in as asides and it gave the conspiracy a veneer of authenticity.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

the mob thing is true but the actual reason he was assassinated was just for scuffing carlo gambino's shoes at a social club in 1961

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Let's all remember that George H W Bush, future leader of the CIA, was in Dallas on the day of the JFK assassination but could not remember where he was or what he was doing when asked.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Gwen posted:

I knew Blue Bloods was a thing, but I forgot it was on CBS, the network that decided to centralize its whole programming around catering to Boomer malaise in the past decade or so. I don't know if anything will top The Great Indoors though:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMij2R-XL9E

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

MonsieurChoc posted:

Let's all remember that George H W Bush, future leader of the CIA, was in Dallas on the day of the JFK assassination but could not remember where he was or what he was doing when asked.
I choose to believe that HW didn't kill Kennedy, but until his dying breath wished he had.

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NKHBk1t7KB4

Clint goes outside to meet some things.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Since Dr. Who is apparently a children's show, I just want to ask: What makes a show a children's show?

I realize a lot of people call genre media children's entertainment to be self-deprecating and appear to only watch ironicly, but I'm asking with total sincerity.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
they have silly accents for one

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Children's Show and Child Friendly are distinctions that come across mainly down the line of the writing style.

Child Friendly shows address topics in a way that kids can understand while children's shows have writing and dialogue more specifically meant for younger audiences.

It's the difference in writing styles between something like The Mandalorian and Star Wars: Resistance

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010
hey kid

you wanna check out these flatwoods monsters?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gKKqdp3aXRc