Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Uh they shouldn’t be armed and hostile by default except in the set pieces at the church and the bridge. Don’t kill anyone in those at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Broose posted:

Spoilers for Bad End of Volga in case someone hasn't played the game yet: How many armed, hostile cultists can I kill assuming I am kind and good two shoes outside of the church and bridge areas? I'm not sure if killing those people in those areas is active bad points.

The first time I played I killed them in the church until they surrendered and still got the good ending. None of the ones you run into after that are hostile unless you antagonize them. Avoid killing them though they are a bunch of nerds.

Anyone out in the wild shooting first is a bandit and you can kill them all you want. They dress differently than the cultists.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I love that Sam has seemingly spent 20 years having every Russian who has ever heard his name immediately make the Uncle Sam joke lmao

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

RBA Starblade posted:

I love that Sam has seemingly spent 20 years having every Russian who has ever heard his name immediately make the Uncle Sam joke lmao

Have you heard his accent? It's deserved.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

madeintaipei posted:

Have you heard his accent? It's deserved.

Yeah it's great lmao

I spent the whole time wondering; would the nukes on that sub even be able to fire 20 years later? I assume in two decades someone found a way around things like launch codes, but it feels like either they wouldn't be launch capable or could've been disabled someway first. I know it's not the point, but still

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I liked both Two Colonels and Sams story well enough the first time, but I'm finding them much better the second than I did the first. Especially Two Colonels, which is pretty much top form. It has a way bigger impact after just finishing the main game than it did 6 months later when I forgot a lot about the last area. It works so much better as a companion piece when the end is fresh.

Sams story took some flak for being underwhelming when it came out but honestly I think it's really good and on par with anything else in the game. The characters are great. Especially the colonel. Both him and Tom have way more nuance than you'd expect and I find their relationship interesting. Theres also some really funny side characters like the brothers and the area is cool as gently caress. Like an urban volga and your boat is way better.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

My only complaint with Sam's Story is the stretch from the bandit base to the fire depot is poorly signposted and I kept missing the tiny mud hill to slide down to fight the bat the second time to move on. I kept trying to take the boat around instead lol. Tom's an interesting character and the ending choice is pretty compelling, but I blew the sub because there's always another Klim.

The thing I really appreciated about TC and SS is that neither protagonist is silent. I get why Artyom still is but it went a long way to giving Sam his own identity, at the least.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Yeah. even as someone who has become used to Artyom being a silent protagonist through multiple playthroughs of every game over the last decade, the second I started playing as voiced protagonist, I was just like "holy poo poo ,why weren't they doing this the whole time?" Almost all of the awkwardness of the story telling just goes away immediately. I really hope they stick with that in the future. Artyom being kind of a blank slate made sense when 2033 came out. it was popular at the time, but it does feel kind of dated now and explains why Metro has a bit of a reputation for awkward story telling. It all flows so much better when your character can react to things.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Maybe the return to Moscow will have a different protagonist who can talk. Probably not though.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

It seems like they are pretty attached to artyom. Although his story seems thoroughly wrapped up. I would not mind seeing a new protagonist. I don' really know what the book situation is since I haven't read them.

The DLC is probably a good indicator it will be voiced in the future though.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

RBA Starblade posted:

I spent the whole time wondering; would the nukes on that sub even be able to fire 20 years later? I assume in two decades someone found a way around things like launch codes, but it feels like either they wouldn't be launch capable or could've been disabled someway first. I know it's not the point, but still

Probably not. The plutonium core isn't too friendly to delicate electronics. But do you want to take that chance?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

As long as we are asking questions, one thing I have always wondered about. Afaik Exodus takes place 20 years after the war and it appears to be set sometime in 2034 still. At least I think that is mentioned in M:E Which means everything went down around 2013 and the trilogy spans from 2033 to the end of 2034. But nothing in Metro seems to date past the early 90's (maybe?) Tube TVs, old cars, no cell phones, old computers, also all of the calendars seem to be from the early 90's. Am I getting the time line wrong, or is the game just stylized that way like say, Fallout?

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

veni veni veni posted:

As long as we are asking questions, one thing I have always wondered about. Afaik Exodus takes place 20 years after the war and it appears to be set sometime in 2034 still. At least I think that is mentioned in M:E Which means everything went down around 2013 and the trilogy spans from 2033 to the end of 2034. But nothing in Metro seems to date past the early 90's (maybe?) Tube TVs, old cars, no cell phones, old computers, also all of the calendars seem to be from the early 90's. Am I getting the time line wrong, or is the game just stylized that way like say, Fallout?
Am I misremembering, or was it an alternate universe scenario, where the Soviet Union never fell, and the Cold War went Hot in 2013.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

It also feels like the Soviet Union never fell?

Mordja posted:

Am I misremembering, or was it an alternate universe scenario, where the Soviet Union never fell, and the Cold War went Hot in 2013.

I don’t recall them ever explicitly saying this but it’s how things feel

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

veni veni veni posted:

Which means everything went down around 2013... But nothing in Metro seems to date past the early 90's (maybe?) Tube TVs, old cars, no cell phones, old computers

I think it's just Russia.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Mordja posted:

It’s hard to tell tbh. There is SU imagery everywhere but I’m not sure if it’s supposed to just be left over or not.

This would make sense though. Although it doesn’t explain why technology never advanced past 1992 and all the calendars seem to be from around that time, except maybe it’s just this^^^^^

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008

Extinction for our time

How seriously do you take an advertisement as canon?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mON5WmA5REk

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

It's not so much that the Soviet Union never fell in Metro as it is that its specter lingers like any other ghost you find.

veni veni veni posted:

It seems like they are pretty attached to artyom. Although his story seems thoroughly wrapped up. I would not mind seeing a new protagonist. I don' really know what the book situation is since I haven't read them.

The DLC is probably a good indicator it will be voiced in the future though.

The book Metro 2035 ends almost how Exodus begins - almost. One of the radio jammers breaks and the crusty old guy with Artyom realizes they aren't listening to his Prodigy tapes anymore - it's Lady Gaga (lol). You don't find out much more about the world but it is obvious that there are frequencies from all over the planet and they're trucking on. The Invisible Watchers are real and reveal themselves to be the Russian government remnants. They set them up to control and exert power just because they can, maintaining the status quo between Hansa, the Nazis, the Reds, and Polis, using the Order as their tools and live fairly comfortably (notably, there is salad and hydroponics and tomatoes and the like), and like Hansa in Exodus, have been shooting anyone from the outside who comes calling. A civil war in the Spartan Order about what to do about it is quickly resolved in favor of the government, and they buy off or kill anyone who would follow Artyom and as the order reasserts itself the rest fall in line. There's a book long sub plot Artyom wonders about regarding how there's even still pigs and food in the Metro which he realizes is because they are feeding the pigs the corpses - the metaphors about them eating each other are literal. He gets out of dodge with Anna, and the Watchers decide there is no harm in letting them escape, though a sniper could have killed them at any time. No one follows, but while the people of the Metro will continue to dwindle and die in their hell on earth, humanity itself will go on.

Metro 2033 and 2035 (not so much 2034) are thinly veiled political commentary and Glukhovsky has a bleak outlook on the future of Russia.

Also as a fun fact, in 2035 there are barely any mutants left. They all died or fled; Moscow is too harsh even for them

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Jul 4, 2021

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

I tried reading the first book and it feels like the translation is really, really bad. Just a lot of poorly constructed run on sentences and terrible momentum. I could forgive it if it was intentional like a Cormac McCarthy but here it just feels awful to read

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

veni veni veni posted:

I liked both Two Colonels and Sams story well enough the first time, but I'm finding them much better the second than I did the first. Especially Two Colonels, which is pretty much top form. It has a way bigger impact after just finishing the main game than it did 6 months later when I forgot a lot about the last area. It works so much better as a companion piece when the end is fresh.

Sams story took some flak for being underwhelming when it came out but honestly I think it's really good and on par with anything else in the game. The characters are great. Especially the colonel. Both him and Tom have way more nuance than you'd expect and I find their relationship interesting. Theres also some really funny side characters like the brothers and the area is cool as gently caress. Like an urban volga and your boat is way better.

Yeah I really liked the moments of weird levity in Sam's Story, like when Sam meets up with the submarine captain and they get poo poo-hammered and proceed through a series of vignettes interspersed with blackouts.

"Hey, there's some randos listening to a radio! I'd love a radio!"
(blackout)
The two are listening to the radio they've jacked from the strangers.
(blackout)
Fist fighting a humanimal.
(blackout)
The captain drunkenly and incoherently pouring his heart out to "Sam" (the humanimal corpse)

veni veni veni posted:

Something I never noticed. you can identify who some of the corpses lying around are in the Miller parts of two colonels in the flashback parts and see them when they are still alive. :drat:

I've played through TTC several times and I had no idea.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

RBA Starblade posted:

It's not so much that the Soviet Union never fell in Metro as it is that its specter lingers like any other ghost you find.

The book Metro 2035 ends almost how Exodus begins - almost. One of the radio jammers breaks and the crusty old guy with Artyom realizes they aren't listening to his Prodigy tapes anymore - it's Lady Gaga (lol). You don't find out much more about the world but it is obvious that there are frequencies from all over the planet and they're trucking on. The Invisible Watchers are real and reveal themselves to be the Russian government remnants. They set them up to control and exert power just because they can, maintaining the status quo between Hansa, the Nazis, the Reds, and Polis, using the Order as their tools and live fairly comfortably (notably, there is salad and hydroponics and tomatoes and the like), and like Hansa in Exodus, have been shooting anyone from the outside who comes calling. A civil war in the Spartan Order about what to do about it is quickly resolved in favor of the government, and they buy off or kill anyone who would follow Artyom and as the order reasserts itself the rest fall in line. There's a book long sub plot Artyom wonders about regarding how there's even still pigs and food in the Metro which he realizes is because they are feeding the pigs the corpses - the metaphors about them eating each other are literal. He gets out of dodge with Anna, and the Watchers decide there is no harm in letting them escape, though a sniper could have killed them at any time. No one follows, but while the people of the Metro will continue to dwindle and die in their hell on earth, humanity itself will go on.

Metro 2033 and 2035 (not so much 2034) are thinly veiled political commentary and Glukhovsky has a bleak outlook on the future of Russia.

Also as a fun fact, in 2035 there are barely any mutants left. They all died or fled; Moscow is too harsh even for them

My favorite “symbolism” in the books remains that the Kremlin Stars are the psychic tendrils of a writhing mass of flesh living in the Kremlin basement. Looking at the stars for too long will compel you to head for the Kremlin. When Artyom and a group enters the basement later on in the book a youth with them is immediately overwhelmed and leaps into the mass with barely any hesitation. Very subtle.

omg chael crash posted:

I tried reading the first book and it feels like the translation is really, really bad. Just a lot of poorly constructed run on sentences and terrible momentum. I could forgive it if it was intentional like a Cormac McCarthy but here it just feels awful to read

It definitely wasn’t the best. The most exciting part of it was Arytom and some other rangers heading to the Library and trying to avoid the Librarians. In the book they had more in common with the gorillas from the end of Exodus where instead of just being aggressive and territorial beasts they were psychic, intelligent, and capable of manipulating those they were able to capture. Again, very subtle.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I've played through TTC several times and I had no idea.

I don't know exactly how many times it happens, but there is at least one part where the colonel steps over an unusually distinct dried up corpse. It's a guy with big dorky looking glasses and a unique beanie. About ten minutes later I found him in the flashback section sitting in the bar and chatting with someone. Not sure if they do that more than once, but I thought it was a really cool detail. I suspect there are more, because it's not like the game went out of it's way to show me the guy. He was just a random guy having a conversation.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I got in here Stalker too. Looking forward to more anomolies :toot:

omg chael crash posted:

2033 is not well translated at all and eh, every character you see seems to talk like this you know, I think, but I felt like it just added to its oppressiveness. Last Light and 2035's translations are much better.

There's a bit of dialogue midway through though that works pretty well where Artyom's traveling with a professor and trying to tell him about the threat of the dark ones until he finally snaps at Artyom to be less of a lovely racist and Artyom has no clue why he's getting so angry about it before the guy realizes that Artyom's never seen anyone of color in the metro and he's not just being weird describing the mutants

quote:

It definitely wasn’t the best. The most exciting part of it was Arytom and some other rangers heading to the Library and trying to avoid the Librarians. In the book they had more in common with the gorillas from the end of Exodus where instead of just being aggressive and territorial beasts they were psychic, intelligent, and capable of manipulating those they were able to capture. Again, very subtle.

It's fun to think that they made an action game from a book where Artyom kills a grand total of one person (a nazi) and it breaks him.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Jul 7, 2021

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
I like that the games are more hopeful than the first book. But apparently that's Russian media in general.

heckyeahpathy
Jul 25, 2013
So uhh I just had some wild glitchy save stuff happen on PS5. Beat the game on New Game+ in Iron mode, trophy popped but then didn't show up when I checked (I'm a nerd about stuff like this!). Synced my trophies, still didn't show. Figured okay, whatever, that sucks. Started a new game plus again to do ranger hardcore. Took me straight to the ending, gave me the opposite ending, popped the ranger hardcore trophy, the iron trophy also popped, and now my save file is corrupted and will only show me the ending and won't let me load anything at all, even the other save slot I briefly started.

It already synced to the PSN, so I guess I'm hosed, but I had 59/61 collectibles and was gonna snap the last two up for the plat while I had a good time playing the game on the hardest mode. Word of warning, I guess! Back up your poo poo before you start a new game plus!

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Is in-game overlay supposed to work with Metro Exodus? When I open it the game minimized and I get thrown to desktop. The colors are quite faded and dull and I'd like to increase the in-game contrast with filters.

Edit: as usual, seems restarting the PC worked. I wonder why they decided to make the game look so dull and grey?

Ihmemies fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Jul 10, 2021

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Ihmemies posted:

Is in-game overlay supposed to work with Metro Exodus? When I open it the game minimized and I get thrown to desktop. The colors are quite faded and dull and I'd like to increase the in-game contrast with filters.

Edit: as usual, seems restarting the PC worked. I wonder why they decided to make the game look so dull and grey?

it's really not. Depends on the area and time of day really. All the areas are really distinct. Putting filters over it sounds gross imo, but whatever you enjoy I guess.

I mean it's never like, neon pink Far Cry/Rage 2 apocolypse but that poo poo is hideous imo.

here's a whole album of screens I took. Hardly what I'd call dull or grey much of the time and even when it is grey it looks great imo.

https://imgur.com/gallery/AzdmaGJ/comment/2100013620

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

I mean shadow looked like dark grey, maximum. I don't think there was ever any black in the game. The gamma adjustment made the light tones darker, but gray tones stayed gray and didn't turn black.

After some more googling I found out about the -deependark launch setting. It seems to have fixed the colors and now there's plenty of black in the game. I added some details to shadows back with HDR toning and lightened the game with exposure setting. Now it is good and looks like a crisp game instead of some super worn out, faded to nothing jeans.

Maybe it is a feature of the RTX patch, dunno?

I also realized just now that playing the earlier games too would be a good idea. Bought them from Eneba for 7€ total since I didn't buy them from the Summer sale. I thought they looked ancient crap but after checking out some gameplay vids from the Redux versions they actually look pretty nice still.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Yeah I was on PS5 not PC, but the blacks looked darker than just about any game I have played. Looked gorgeous. I do remember the PS4 version looking notably grayer.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I beat Metro 2033 and LL on Ranger Hardcore! Did them on Survival and Spartan respectively. 2033 Redux is way easier than the original, but I had never done Ranger on LL; it wasn't too bad except there was a bug that put me on high alert at the end before fighting Pavel, then it quicksaved me (twice!) with no healing items, a breaking visor, and one shot from death right as the last wave of guards comes out. Fighting Pavel himself took an hour; he could kill me before it registered him moving on, so I had to scavenge grenades and blind throw them at him lmao

Other than that though pretty good time for both! How is Exodus on Ranger? I can't think of any parts that'd be hard except the oil rig fight.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

veni veni veni posted:

I see you have never been to Eastern Europe.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Had to use this fix to get rid of the stuttering.

Changed the voice settings to Russian (which you can only to do in the start menu, not in-game), but all the mouth-flaps are still opening and closing in English. Surreal.

PC gamer noted the English voiceover is terrible, and changing it to a language they don't speak helps the immersion. Lucky them - all the Russian voices are the worst sort of theatrical and bathetic, really ruining :siren: my immersion :siren:. Doesn't help that everyone are incredibly wordy while reiterating the exact same basic info two or three times over.

Now for an actual problem. I got the Tikhar from Tokarev (after rescuing Katya), saved (isn't it so great that a 2018 game doesn't allow to have real saves?), went out and got eaten by a giant fish... and reloaded with no Tikhar, and with Tokarev being unwilling to hand me one (he's currently inside the train, not blocking the way into it). Am I utterly screwed out of a silent weapon unless I feel like restarting the chapter?

Edit - Ah. Receiving the Tikhar apparently gives you a third weapon slot, which is where it lives.

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Aug 6, 2021

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Lives forever too I believe. I guess they really wanted you to have a silent weapon you can craft ammo for at all times but by the end of the game I wish I could have swapped it out.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

You get a different weapon for that slot later, but it and the Tikhar are your only choices in that slot

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Xander77 posted:

PC gamer noted the English voiceover is terrible

Hard disagree. The accents are bad, but the english VA is charming. Anna and the Colonel are kind of bad in general, but hammy in a way I enjoyed.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Dogen posted:

You get a different weapon for that slot later, but it and the Tikhar are your only choices in that slot

I thought that was a nice touch. Far Cry might be more fun in the early game if they limited just the one slot like that.

Far Cry 3-on, just give me the bow early, in it's own slot. 3 especially is very dicey early on with no loud weapons and only one or two slots.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

A thousand reshader \ texture modes (any of them wortwhile?) and not a single "here's your infinite sprint, your super-ranger now no longer runs out of breath after 5 seconds" fix?

Also - apparently heavily armored dudes can't be knocked out or one-headshot? So every bandit base with a single heavy trooper can't be stealthed?

Edit - Holy gently caress, Duke just freaking died. I haven't killed a single sect member, just bandits. The fuuuuuuuuuuck. Is there a way to fix this beyond restarting the chapter? I don't even know if that would help, since the game is freaking out for no reason.

(I did get spotted towards the end of the church section, and had the paladins surrender instantly. It's possible I killed one of them? The cult leader accuses me of killing unarmed men, which definitely didn't happen - I even got a conversation between two guards stating as much - that's I've killed all the paladins, but spared the civilians and those who surrendered).

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Aug 7, 2021

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Xander77 posted:

Edit - Holy gently caress, Duke just freaking died. I haven't killed a single sect member, just bandits. The fuuuuuuuuuuck. Is there a way to fix this beyond restarting the chapter? I don't even know if that would help, since the game is freaking out for no reason.

You have to not kill too many of the fisherman when you steal the boat and you also have to get the teddy bear and guitar. If you have a save before the (volga) point of no return you should be able to do this.

Question about the pricing for enhanced edition. I was hoping someone could clarify since people seem confused in another thread and I have no way of checking since I bought all the DLC back when it was released. Does the free enhanced edition upgrade include all of the DLC or do people still have to purchase that or the "complete edition" to play the DLC? I could have sworn I read that they were just giving away all the DLC with enhanced edition, but that doesn't actually seem to be the case for some people?

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

veni veni veni posted:

You have to not kill too many of the fisherman when you steal the boat and you also have to get the teddy bear and guitar. If you have a save before the (volga) point of no return you should be able to do this.

Didn't kill a single one, got both.

Apparently not stealthing the church (and\or meleeing a surrendered bandit I couldn't knock out) was the issue. Had to download an save file :shrug:

Edit - based on a speedrun, literally never once firing a shot at a cultist is still not enough to get the good ending for Volga on its own.

I dunno, thus far it feels as though the game is way too cumbersome. And some of the open world design really reveals the game's limitations.

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 11:26 on Aug 8, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Is there a way to get to the islands in the north part of the Volga map (NW of the church)? There doesn't seem to be a way to get a boat there.

I wonder how many players actually got Sam's Chekhov-Dostoyevsky-Tolstoy confusion.

The bandit base with the two cultist prisoners has a hostile dog in it. Is there a way to get through it without killing the dog? Will it surrender alongside the bandits if they do?

Man, as much as felt that the cannibals were terribly unsubtle (both as a political allegory and for anyone who took Miller's speech in D6 in the original game at face value), I'm still have uneasy semi-nightmares about that level.

Are there any spots where the gatling will actually be useful? Spiders are injured by light, so overwhelming firepower is a bit pointless.

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Aug 9, 2021