Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
I don't know if this is helpful, but I looked up a how it's made video of bacon production to see how they do it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GAqIynamBMY&t=220s

Murgos posted:

Maybe one of those paper cutters? You know the big green table looking things with the grid and giant lever action blade?

Get the belly just this side of frozen and then 'schnikkkt'.

It's not that far off from this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

Don’t slice it and market it as rustic.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

A radial arm saw

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Guy Axlerod posted:

It's not that far off from this.

I hung a rack from the ceiling of my laundry room on a set of pulley's so we could lower it to hang cloths on to dry.

Something like that which lowers the belly into a rectangular wooden jig so that the end is 1/8th" or 1/4" (or whatever) below the lower edge and fits snugly but not tight around it . Slide your knife along the bottom the jig letting gravity pull the slice down and then drop it another notch. If you had the rope on a spindle attached to a moderately sized wheel you would pretty quickly figure out how much of a turn is needed to get the exact width you want.

Again, cold meat and a very sharp knife are going to be key.

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

No, I like my hat, thanks.
diagonal bacon is going to be the hot new trend

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Any suggestions for some cutting board oil? I imagine that they're all pretty much the same right?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Watch this guy flex his cast irons:

https://vm.tiktok.com/ZMdat5NMk/

Scott808
Jul 11, 2001

obi_ant posted:

Any suggestions for some cutting board oil? I imagine that they're all pretty much the same right?

Mineral oil. Or Mineral oil + beeswax.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

obi_ant posted:

This stuff has worked beautifully.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
i also have walrus brand oil and it is great

Bagheera
Oct 30, 2003
Score! I found someone on Craigslist selling a Berkel 827 deli slicer. Retails for $1,400, he's selling for $650. And it can handle my 10-inch meat (phrasing!)

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

My old Smoking Gun died because the batteries leaked and ruined the electronics. Got the new hotness. The Breville revision feels WAY more expensive. A lot more metal in the body, and a solid foot that keeps it standing up.

Come to think of it, 90.% of the time small electronics died on me it was because the batteries were no-name snd leaked. I think I will toss Chinese batteries from now on.

Other than that it seems to perform the same

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Jul 1, 2021

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

God I want a Smoking Gun. I think the only reason I haven’t gotten one yet is because I keep forgetting about it.

EDIT: re: Deli Slicer Chat — Bagheera already got something, but I’d still really love some recs on good new slicers, if BrianBoitano’s offer to ask those Patreon guys is still on the table.

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Jul 1, 2021

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
There are a bunch of half price Chinese knockoffs now but who knows if they’re any good

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

Steve Yun posted:

Come to think of it, 90.% of the time small electronics died on me it was because the batteries were no-name snd leaked. I think I will toss Chinese batteries from now on.
I’d highly recommend paying a bit more for some of the energizer lithium AAs. Their shelf life is 20 years and when they are exhausted they don’t puke their guts out and corrode everything around them. I’ve had many thousands of dollars worth the circuitry ruined by old alkaline batteries and have found the lithium’s to be a godsend.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

I. M. Gei posted:

EDIT: re: Deli Slicer Chat — Bagheera already got something, but I’d still really love some recs on good new slicers, if BrianBoitano’s offer to ask those Patreon guys is still on the table.

Offer still stands, but they didn't do a show this week so my question will be next week then the deli slicer the following week.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

Steve Yun posted:

My old Smoking Gun died because the batteries leaked and ruined the electronics. Got the new hotness. The Breville revision feels WAY more expensive. A lot more metal in the body, and a solid foot that keeps it standing up.

Other than that it seems to perform the same

Any tips with cold smoking with one of these? I never seem to really impart any smoke flavor with them.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

tonedef131 posted:

I’d highly recommend paying a bit more for some of the energizer lithium AAs. Their shelf life is 20 years and when they are exhausted they don’t puke their guts out and corrode everything around them. I’ve had many thousands of dollars worth the circuitry ruined by old alkaline batteries and have found the lithium’s to be a godsend.
I've been using eneloop rechargeables and highly recommend them. Disposable batteries are an insane kind of waste to me.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
Re batteries: This guy has a series of AA battery tests that are pretty compelling as to why you probably don't want Chinese knock offs. Total power delivered, power tolerances and etc...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7-ghrTqA44

Bagheera
Oct 30, 2003
Pasteurization with a Vitamix blender?

In this video from ATX hot sauce, the owner claims that a VItamix blender can get liquid hot enough to pasteurize.

I just bought a refurb Vitamix 320 last week, and I've barely used it. I have some fermented hot sauce that's ready to be blended today. Do you think I can actually get it over 80C/175F? Do I just run the blender at max setting? Will running it that hot for ~2 minutes cause any problems with the blender?

I'm told Vitamixes are tanks, so I assume it can handle it. I'm just checking with the crew here to see if that's true.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Vitamix themselves say you can make hot soup in it but IDK about if it'll get THAT hot. Use a thermometer?

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Bagheera posted:

Pasteurization with a Vitamix blender?

In this video from ATX hot sauce, the owner claims that a VItamix blender can get liquid hot enough to pasteurize.

I just bought a refurb Vitamix 320 last week, and I've barely used it. I have some fermented hot sauce that's ready to be blended today. Do you think I can actually get it over 80C/175F? Do I just run the blender at max setting? Will running it that hot for ~2 minutes cause any problems with the blender?

I'm told Vitamixes are tanks, so I assume it can handle it. I'm just checking with the crew here to see if that's true.

yes you can. No you don't need to with a fermented hot sauce.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

I make ice cream bases in a vitamix all the time it'll get there on high speed. Just stick a probe thermometer in the lid and monitor it.

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out

Thumposaurus posted:

I make ice cream bases in a vitamix all the time it'll get there on high speed. Just stick a probe thermometer in the lid and monitor it.

Wait what? I suck at tempering eggs, got a link?

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

I just put the milk/egg yolks/sugar in the blender jar + any flavorings except vanilla extract(vanilla bean pulp ok). Start it bring it up to high speed until it gets to 160-165 F any then strain it into the cream that's sitting in an ice bath stir it all together add vanilla extract and salt it to taste.

Let it all chill down and spin it in your ice cream maker.

mystes
May 31, 2006

That's possible? How long does it take to get to that temperature?

Bagheera
Oct 30, 2003
I left my VItamix 320 at 9 (out of 10) speed for ~3 minutes, and the hot sauce blend only got up to about 110F. I was afraid to leave it on longer than that (I'm new to Vitamix and treating it with kids' gloves).

mystes
May 31, 2006

I only have a blendtec (I immediately regretted not spending the extra for a vitamix) so I don't know if it can really handle it anyway.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Bagheera posted:

I left my VItamix 320 at 9 (out of 10) speed for ~3 minutes, and the hot sauce blend only got up to about 110F. I was afraid to leave it on longer than that (I'm new to Vitamix and treating it with kids' gloves).

Put that up to ten, flip on high, and go have a smoke. It will turn off if you somehow overheat it.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

Put that up to ten, flip on high, and go have a smoke. It will turn off if you somehow overheat it.

This, and not kidding about leaving the room. A vitamix on high is loud enough to cause hearing damage after ~15 minutes of exposure

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

mystes posted:

That's possible? How long does it take to get to that temperature?

It takes like 8 minutes or so.

Skooms
Nov 5, 2009
Does anyone have experience troubleshooting wine coolers? One of my Eurocave Premiers has completely stopped cooling. I have Wine Enthusiast sending a tech, but it won't be for another couple of days. The drat things is brand new and I can't wrap my head around how the compressor could be shot already.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

If it’s brand new it probably has something wrong with the relay or electronics. We had the same issue with an Elkay water chiller that took them forever to finally replace.

Acinonyx
Oct 21, 2005

Bagheera posted:

I've got a vitamix 750 and the hot soup/sauce program takes 5 min, so, I'm going to say crank it up to 9-10 over 30 sec and leave it there for another 4.5 min and you're your own hot soup/sauce program. I've had two vitamix's over the course of 15 years and in my experience if you damage one, you must have been doing something super dumb. We gave the first one to friends after a decade because I wanted the 750 which fits in under our cabinets and it has the mayo making attachment and I didn't want to wait for it to die of natural causes; which it still hasn't.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Just moved and now I have a Whirlpool electric oven, in-wall instead of under stove. God drat it holds onto steam, I think I need to crack the door often to make things actually finish roasting.

Is this typical to electric ovens, in-wall ovens, or just this model?

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

My landlord is replacing my oven range and I have a $1100 budget for a 29" slot. Before I start doing too much research, is there a clear winner at that pricepoint/size?

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

I'm super confused about why people are using their blenders to cook soup

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

I LITERALLY SLEEP IN A RACING CAR. DO YOU?
p.s. ask me about my subscription mattress
Ultra Carp

El Mero Mero posted:

dangling pointer
Feb 12, 2010

El Mero Mero posted:

I’ve got 2 horsepower cranking out 11 amps of blending power and I’m going to use it damnit. Sometimes I’ll throw leftover coffee in with protein powder for a warm protein drink.

dangling pointer fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Jul 8, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

El Mero Mero posted:

OK, admit it. Who else here thought "jesus christ how fast do those things spin"