Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

jonny check out the moonlander by the same folks that make the ergodox ez. although depending on your rsi the thumb cluster might be a no go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

sorry to keep verging on mouse chat buuut

Buck Turgidson posted:

my deft pro could definitely do with some of that stuff. although I'm starting to think some of the stiction is because one of the ball bearings isn't actually static... I'd swear it can rotate in the housing and that it's catching.

that's the model i did it on! The bearings are ruby, but the precision varies either in the bearing or in the housing. i had one for work and one for home. one was fine after a month, the other never stopped catching

i followed some advice i found while trying to lubricate them (for some people lubrication works) and bought a pack of zirconium oxide bearings (G10 is fine for me, some opt for G5) and food-grade silicone spray (data sheet, propellant is plastic-friendly for those mice) but some people use ptfe or powders. i prefer silicone since it's in contact with my skin, and the spray is useful for servicing other appliances

there's a guide that was handy if you go that route. my advice is to remove the bearings on a towel, and inserting new ones worked best by partially assembling the bowl and individually placing them in each divot then tightening that portion

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

KidDynamite posted:

jonny check out the moonlander by the same folks that make the ergodox ez. although depending on your rsi the thumb cluster might be a no go.

thats literally exactly what im looking at for work and trying to convince them to pay for

thumbs will be fine. i have cubital tunnel which affects my ring and pinky fingers

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

keychron just announced their next keyboard if anyone is interested

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=113423.0

150 USD for aluminum chassis and gasket mount

Zam Wesell
Mar 22, 2009

[Zam is suddenly shot in the neck by a toxic dart; Anakin and Obi-Wan see a "rocket-man" take off and fly away, and Zam dies]
how can people live without Home and End

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

agreed. i like the idea of a 60% but i use the function keys and home/end pgup/pgdn enough that i've stuck to tenkeyless as the smallest. that 75% looks like it might be a decent middle ground though

Zam Wesell
Mar 22, 2009

[Zam is suddenly shot in the neck by a toxic dart; Anakin and Obi-Wan see a "rocket-man" take off and fly away, and Zam dies]

SamDabbers posted:

agreed. i like the idea of a 60% but i use the function keys and home/end pgup/pgdn enough that i've stuck to tenkeyless as the smallest. that 75% looks like it might be a decent middle ground though

same. my solution was the vortex race 3 (recommended by someone in this thread!) and it owns. just moved pgup/down one row down and End right below Home for the Ultimate Layout

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Zam Wesell posted:

i can't use anything smaller than an 80% on a standard layout due to precisely this

relative_q
Sep 9, 2008

shame on a kitty who try to run game on a kitty

wu buck wild wit tha trigga

SamDabbers posted:

man, i don't think i could function with a tenkeyless keyboard. i use that poo poo continually.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

relative_q posted:

man, i don't think i could function with a tenkeyless keyboard. i use that poo poo continually.

i thought that too but try a separate numpad

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

i pretty much only use the numpad for my windows hello pin

which led to a moment of alarm when i was using some logitech portable keyboard with no numpad for the first time and i realized i had no idea what my pin actually was, just the physical motion of inputting it on a keypad

relative_q
Sep 9, 2008

Midjack posted:

i thought that too but try a separate numpad

nah, i don't need to have a second thing with a cable attached on my desk

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

dioxazine posted:

keychron just announced their next keyboard if anyone is interested

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=113423.0

150 USD for aluminum chassis and gasket mount

Hot-Swappable PCB for 5-pin mechanical switches

finally, if i had a nickel for every time i wanted to do this...

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

relative_q posted:

nah, i don't need to have a second thing with a cable attached on my desk

again, this sounds like me from a year ago. you may use the keypad more than i do, but i encourage you to give it a try if you can - it's not as much of a hassle as i thought it might be.

relative_q
Sep 9, 2008

Midjack posted:

again, this sounds like me from a year ago. you may use the keypad more than i do, but i encourage you to give it a try if you can - it's not as much of a hassle as i thought it might be.

i've already got the last keyboard i think i'll ever own, and i'm not really tryin to drop another hundred bucks on an equivalent one minus the keypad as an experiment. that hundred bucks could be better spent on beer

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

relative_q posted:

i did too prior to getting a tenkeyless and it actually forced me to get better at touch typing the top row numbers, which i had never spent the time to get decent at. i'll still prefer a full keyboard if i'm doing a bunch of numeric data entry but typing the odd ip address on the top numbers is no longer hunt-and-peck slow.

it also helps that my laptop doesn't have a numpad so the skill transfers to when im using the built in keyboard too

hot dog event
Apr 17, 2002

it took some getting used to with my tkl at first but i'm mostly adjusted now and very happy with the closer spacing of my hands. i do miss it for punching in numbers every now and then. got in on a group buy for a numpad w/ a rotary encoder that should be here around Oct

hot dog event
Apr 17, 2002

Zam Wesell posted:

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.

Nodding in agreement as I slam my home button to click on UCP.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
tenkeyless and 60% keybs all suck because you still have to contort your wrists unnaturally. get a split

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK

Silver Alicorn posted:

tenkeyless and 60% keybs all suck because you still have to contort your wrists unnaturally. get a split

Do you have links to any studies on that? I've never noticed any appreciable difference in comfort in split vs traditional keyboards with similar key sizes, but maybe I have abnormally wear resistant tendons?

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

the study is that it feels like you’re flying a spaceship

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Tell me you never learned to touch-type without telling me you never learned to touch-type.

Schadenboner fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Jun 22, 2021

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬
split, except james mcavoy has 24 different split keyboards all vying for desk space

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Maybe you could put heating elements in the key caps and make them get warmer the closer they are to the ASDF/JKL;?

:shrug:

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

glue cameras to the bottoms of each finger, then pip the view of all 10 cameras on screen, so you can see whats under your fingers without looking down

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Bloody posted:

glue cameras to the bottoms of each finger, then pip the view of all 10 cameras on screen, so you can see whats under your fingers without looking down

looks like layers of dorito powder

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Silver Alicorn posted:

the study is that it feels like you’re flying a spaceship

lol

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

MrQueasy posted:

Do you have links to any studies on that? I've never noticed any appreciable difference in comfort in split vs traditional keyboards with similar key sizes, but maybe I have abnormally wear resistant tendons?

it's not the tendon's it's the shoulder impingement which only comes into play if you are wide in the chest

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

I am very wide, skeletally

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

av3's next round (3) starts in july if you were looking for an ergo board (no Home or End)

https://iv-works.com/av3/

hot dog event
Apr 17, 2002

drat that's a nice looking board. might be doable when the sidecar 10-key gets here it has a couple extra buttons on it

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬
It looks cool but I don't really get how that works if you can't tent the board. seems a bit odd for a split.

also sweet jesus! the pauses on that website as you scroll down

Mr. Sickos
May 22, 2011

but where is the windows key

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Mr. Sickos posted:

but where is the numberpad

qsvui
Aug 23, 2003
some crazy thing
and the right ctrl key

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
the sad: i was drinking a sprite (why was i drinking a sprite? idk) and a few drops yeeted into my nice new Leopold

the glad:

i ordered some replacement mx reds, took my time and did a clean job replacing the five that were in the line of fire. Back to perfect and I learned a $10 lesson (and i have a few spares left over just in case). All's well that ends well.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Jonny 290 posted:

the sad: i was drinking a sprite (why was i drinking a sprite? idk) and a few drops yeeted into my nice new Leopold

the glad:

i ordered some replacement mx reds, took my time and did a clean job replacing the five that were in the line of fire. Back to perfect and I learned a $10 lesson (and i have a few spares left over just in case). All's well that ends well.

Did you learn the lesson of preferring a good ginger ale to sprite, though?

E: Reed's is a good ginger ale.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

relative_q posted:

full sized keyboards are the absolute poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

all right, my keypad case came in so i can finally get that sucker put together.