Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

lazerwolf posted:

I feel like this could have not been related to borderlands in any way. why is Tiny Tina in this?

it feels like a sequel to the BL2 DLC everyone liked most, so i guess that's a more specific example than the obvious one of just "leveraging the brand".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

I never got to play Battleborn but from what I saw it looked like a neat idea that they just bungled relentlessly?

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
Battleborn was a budget-version Overwatch with a basic single-player campaign, and it had the great misfortune to come out literally three weeks before Overwatch.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

I feel like they never really communicated what Battleborn was supposed to be. Was it a 3D MOBA? A single-player RPG with optional multiplayer like Borderlands? Who knew?!

I even bought and played it and still wasn't sure what, exactly, they were trying to do.

Meanwhile, Overwatch had very clear messaging and solid gameplay.

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

Devorum posted:

I feel like they never really communicated what Battleborn was supposed to be. Was it a 3D MOBA? A single-player RPG with optional multiplayer like Borderlands? Who knew?!

I even bought and played it and still wasn't sure what, exactly, they were trying to do.

Meanwhile, Overwatch had very clear messaging and solid gameplay.

https://twitter.com/duvalmagic/status/486550022910005248?lang=da

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

what’s not clicking?

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

skaboomizzy posted:

Battleborn was a budget-version Overwatch with a basic single-player campaign, and it had the great misfortune to come out literally three weeks before Overwatch.

It was a decent game, but the lack of focus on whether it wanted to be multiplayer and if so what kind of multiplayer, along with terrible release timing, doomed it pretty quick. I finished the singleplayer campaign but some of the online stuff was just too annoying to bother with.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

skaboomizzy posted:

Not only Overwatch but Doom 2016, so it got utterly squashed.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

https://borderlands.com/en-US/news/2021-06-24-borderlands-3-update-hotfixes-june-24/

Level cap increase from 65 to 72 and anointment adjustments.

Greenplastic
Oct 24, 2005

Miao, miao!
Refarm everything AGAIN? I'm so glad I stopped playing this game lol

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

You're a fucking cocksucker, Jonathan

quote:

This update adds crossplay functionality for Xbox One, Xbox Series X|S, Mac, Stadia, and PC via Steam and the Epic Games Store, makes seasonal events permanent, toggleable additions to the game

That's pretty big, if the seasonal weapons are still any good. I haven't played in a long time.

Also seems like something they'd only do if they are finishing up major content updates for the game, especially since they refer to the level cap increase as the "final" increase. I'm guessing it goes into maintenance mode now, while they focus on the new game.

So actually, this is probably the best time to get back into the game, depending on what they've likely broken with this update and what (if anything) they do to "fix" it in the near future.

Edit: It's kind of hilarious that it took them to the final update to acknowledge the major issues with appointments being boring and that every class benefits most from the same class-agnostic annoints. They've made some pretty big changes to "fix" that, but gently caress me, it took them long enough. Hopefully it's significant enough to change the meta like they're hoping.

Mr Scumbag fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Jun 24, 2021

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
yeah, i'm happy they finally did it. not eager to jump back in any time soon, but this makes it more likely i will eventually.

Greenplastic
Oct 24, 2005

Miao, miao!
Well, if this is the final level increase I'll have to retract my negativity a bit. Kind of wish I started playing now rather than at the very beginning

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

Cease to Hope posted:

except for Tales, BL as a whole really only has two writing modes: overwrought soapy nonsense or lobotomized "comedy" nonsense

Given the quality of the rest of the series writing, it's amazing Tales was not only not an absolute Trainwreck, but one of the best TellTale games.

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
My favorite writing in Borderlands is from the Pre-sequel, by no coincidence it's the only Borderlands game where they talk to your characters instead of just at them.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Rich Uncle Chet posted:

Given the quality of the rest of the series writing, it's amazing Tales was not only not an absolute Trainwreck, but one of the best TellTale games.

They were pretty clearly writing it as they went without any real sort of plan but it was still really great.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Surprised they increased the level cap, not sure what that allows us to do offhand but might be fun to play around. Kind of assumed I wouldn't be doing much farming, guess I'll see how I feel, at least we have anoint rerolls and access to mad Eridium now.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
As annoyed as I am at having to throw all my guns in the trash AGAIN (again, again) at least I can do the seasonal events at my own pace and whenever I like, so that's a consolation.

Also to echo other people, yeah this is pretty much the end for BL3 in terms of new content, there might be little bonus events here and there but since all the big events can now be done whenever then the devs have definitely moved on.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
The update broke UI scaling for me on ultrawide, hopefully there will be a following fix soon.

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

You're a fucking cocksucker, Jonathan
You're hoping that they fix the UI?

LMAO

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text
The boss just before the elevator to the final boss of the handsome jackpot dlc is level 2 for whatever reason.

Did they nerf the cartel spawns? I'm hardly seeing any when it used to spam a ton of enemies. And the anointed cartel enemies don't even drop any decoders
I need my OPQ

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Jusupov posted:

The boss just before the elevator to the final boss of the handsome jackpot dlc is level 2 for whatever reason.

Did they nerf the cartel spawns? I'm hardly seeing any when it used to spam a ton of enemies. And the anointed cartel enemies don't even drop any decoders
I need my OPQ

Havent had a chance to play with the new patch yet, but isnt Freddy being level 2 an old bug?

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

Bugsy posted:

Havent had a chance to play with the new patch yet, but isnt Freddy being level 2 an old bug?

Oh I haven't played in a long while, that'll be it then.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Freddie does have a bug, or at least a quirk, that he respawns just from you fast traveling back down the hall.

I believe world drops got tweaked down at some point, but dedicated drops should be the same.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
Borderlands (all of them) is weird because I love them when I’m playing but then don’t care at all. With the duplicate steam & Xbox plus dlc I’ve probably spent more on this franchise than any other, but my only happy recollections are learning what the skull means in bl1 (you can’t fight him) and Tiny Tina overacting once in an intro. Oh yeah and slot machines fighting back, good joke.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Finally caved and picked this up in the Steam sale. What's the closest class to BL2's Gunzerker? I poured tons of hours into 2 because dual wielding was fun and broken as hell.

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat

UnknownMercenary posted:

Finally caved and picked this up in the Steam sale. What's the closest class to BL2's Gunzerker? I poured tons of hours into 2 because dual wielding was fun and broken as hell.

Probably Moze.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

UnknownMercenary posted:

Moze the Gunner, probably. Rather than going berserk with two guns, you hop into a giant robot, but the gameplay style is pretty similar.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

interested in some current goon takes on BL3 as a singleplayer game before the sale is over. I was a big fan of BL2 years back, must have made 4 different mechromancers to run through TVHM since I couldn't get enough of anarchy. However, I felt like the level scaling was out of control to the point of being horrible when they added the levels over 50 with UVHM, and the drop rates were extremely bad. How is BL3 about these things?

I heard complaints about the story and writing being painful and unfunny; I actually enjoyed plenty of BL2's humor but from what I've seen of BL3, it's either legitimately worse or I've just grown up since then. is it mostly something you can grit your teeth and ignore during the gameplay or are there a lot of unskippable cutscenes?

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Gameplay wise it's good fun, and one of the dlcs is absolutely tops for setting and cool factor

The story is eh. Fair amount of forced dialogue.

I think it far better coop but if you have to solo I'd imagine you'd still have fun, the classes are pretty cool and the guns are great

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

I've got my monies worth for sure buying it a few sales ago, (6 months ago maybe?) Only played solo. I've enjoyed it a lot, but not played much since the loot nerf update, so can't speak for that, but for TVHM there is a lot of unskipable cutscenes which is annoying and after playing though once just before switching to THVM it was a bit more annoying than I expected, if I was to do it again I would probably just download a save and start on TVHM imo. Can pretty much skip to mayhem 10/11 once you unlock them so not a huge grind there which is nice.

Ballance may be a lot different as the recent update changed a lot I think? But not read into it much as I've been playing Red Dead 2.

But the overall writing definitely feels worse than BL2 and pre for the main story, however a lot of the DLC is the exact opposite, with a lot of it being far better, even surprised me, and made me go where the gently caress were these writers for the main story?

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I played BL3 solo and the gameplay is okay, but the writing is definitely worse than previous Borderlands games. It's like they really want to do get rid of old characters so they have made them almost uniformly worse compared to earlier games. And a lot of the new characters are complete rear end.

I used a save editor to level my guns and such to avoid a lot of grind, and I did it much sooner than I did in previous games - my usual habit is to do one playthrough of a game before messing with editors and such. This time around I started editing much earlier, partly because the rest of the game wasn't compelling enough to make me want to grind.

This is also the first Borderlands game I have NOT done a full playthrough with each character, because it just isn't as compelling. The DLCs are generally better than the main storyline, and the Hammerlock DLC is the stand-out this time (kind of funny after the BL2 Hammerlock DLC being generally the least favorite). The story is just such a wet fart I didn't feel like doing it more than a couple times, and I don't think I've even finished that second playthrough.

I'd say it's worthwhile if you get it on sale, but that Season Pass 2 isn't worth it. I looked at it and quickly decided it is grossly overpriced, and lacks compelling content.

With this latest patch raising the level cap and opening up another skill tree I might fire it up again and check it out, but at this point it is looking like BL2 is going to be the high water mark for the series.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

base game is a lot of fun if you turn the dialogue all the way down and check your phone during the several sections where the game forces you to stand around while a bad story and worse jokes happen. the dlcs are genuine bangers for the most part tho

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

watho posted:

base game is a lot of fun if you turn the dialogue all the way down and check your phone during the several sections where the game forces you to stand around while a bad story and worse jokes happen. the dlcs are genuine bangers for the most part tho

It's honestly a really fun game if it wasn't for the story stuff. There is just too much time where you sit around listening to bad writers try to be funny instead of blasting stuff with cool guns.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

It should also be noted that BL3 is a pretty demanding game - I feel like it required more horsepower to play than really makes sense. I have a 3600X + 2070 Super and am running at 1440p, and my framerates were acceptable but not great.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

Niwrad posted:

It's honestly a really fun game if it wasn't for the story stuff. There is just too much time where you sit around listening to bad writers try to be funny instead of blasting stuff with cool guns.

for sure. that’s why the dlc lands a lot better i think, less yakking more whacking

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime
did anyone ever try using the save editor to play mayhem from lvl 1?

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Does anyone else have fast travel randomly stop working? I have to quit out to the main menu and load back in to make fast travel stations function again and I have no idea what causes it, it almost seems random.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

https://borderlands.com/en-US/news/2021-08-05-borderlands-3-update-hotfixes-aug-5/

New patch has the new Vault Card in it, so a few new bits of gear with a bunch of cosmetics. An artifact that massively (100000%) increases legendary world drop chance as a kill skill, new grenade whose function is unclear, Hyperion SMG that changed element based on the target which sounds good, and another hyperion SMG that seems to be based on some Jack mechanics from TPS, where kills drop more case and you get improved fire rate and mag size on cash pickup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse

BizarroAzrael posted:

https://borderlands.com/en-US/news/2021-08-05-borderlands-3-update-hotfixes-aug-5/

New patch has the new Vault Card in it, so a few new bits of gear with a bunch of cosmetics. An artifact that massively (100000%) increases legendary world drop chance as a kill skill, new grenade whose function is unclear, Hyperion SMG that changed element based on the target which sounds good, and another hyperion SMG that seems to be based on some Jack mechanics from TPS, where kills drop more case and you get improved fire rate and mag size on cash pickup.

And more bank space!