Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Orv posted:

My stance remains that I haven't liked an Obsidian game since AP and I am aware that this makes me a raging psychopath for not liking NV but I have tried and tried again to play that game and I just cannot.

I will give minor points to Tyranny for basically being Baldur's Protocol but the foreshortened development on that game just does not leave most of it in a good place.

If we're dropping hot takes, I think every single¹ Obsidian game would have been better as a visual novel, even the ones that were good as games.

¹haven't played Outer Worlds or the Shrunk the Kids game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011
The writing is the worst part though! :yayclod:

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You
Alpha Protocol Remaster when please.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Somebody should just put Alpha Protocol into the Choice of platform with the names rubbed out and replaced.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Alpha Protocol only got taken down because the music licensing expired and Sega didn't feel like paying for it again.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Palpek posted:

Fun fact - Alpha Protocol still sold way better than Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadifre.

It's so weird that I can't get into Deadfire. Everything about it sounds like something I should love: Pirates! Ship Battles! Ship customization! Good writing! A unique setting! Dual-wielding pistols! Big hats!

And yet, every time I do try it, I end up dropping off after a few hours. Perhaps it's just too dang wide.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

one of my (several) reasons for never making it through more than the first hour or so of pillars of eternity 1 was the fact it was such a passionate love letter to specifically 90's D&D crpgs like baldur's gate, icewind dale, and neverwinter nights, that it was obvious even to me, someone who never played any of those games. and as someone who never played those games, the problem wasn't even that i didn't have nostalgic connections to the genre, it was even after completing the tutorial dungeon and doing an hours long deep dive of the wiki, i still felt like i had no loving idea how to play the game because i never touched the stuff it was based off of

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
My PoE fatigue comes from trying to figure out what the billion different things are and what they do when they are just renames of already existing D&D abilities and spells for the most part.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Several hosed up opinions about Pillars of Eternity 2: The Good One in here right now, given the objective fact that it is one of the best games in recent memory.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

too bad i won't pick it up and play it until i successfully get through pillars of eternity 1

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Cowcaster posted:

one of my (several) reasons for never making it through more than the first hour or so of pillars of eternity 1 was the fact it was such a passionate love letter to specifically 90's D&D crpgs like baldur's gate, icewind dale, and neverwinter nights, that it was obvious even to me, someone who never played any of those games. and as someone who never played those games, the problem wasn't even that i didn't have nostalgic connections to the genre, it was even after completing the tutorial dungeon and doing an hours long deep dive of the wiki, i still felt like i had no loving idea how to play the game because i never touched the stuff it was based off of
Which is funny because all you really took in from the old games was a general awareness of how to move characters in an isometric strategy map because everything else about the gameplay was bespoke and new. It was a game really just for the Kickstarter backers. The sequel was then only for the fraction of those that finished the first game despite them doing everything in their power to signal "don't really need to have played the first."

They are good games, meant for a completely different time and place than our current reality.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
PoE 2 is a great game but I understand not being able to get into it because it has kind of a dry writing style and there are no obvious choices to be made. No "good factions" and "bad factions", so you actually have to learn about the political climate of the region and decide for yourself who to support. If you just want to unwind and play an RPG and not study for a degree in Fantasy Political Science, it can be easy to fall off.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Rinkles posted:

MS had bought Obsidian by the time OW released, so I don't know that it actually had much of a bearing.
It's true that MS hasn't seen the 3 million copies of TOW sold yet but I doubt they would have bought Obsidian if they haven't been working on their own Fallout spin-off.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Palpek posted:

Check this:

Basically if not fot the most mediocre game in history aka The Outer Worlds, Obsidian would have probably closed down.

I'm actually surprised that Alpha Protocol didn't break even after selling nearly a million copies. While the game was great it was very budget, at least relative to other games in it's genre.

Also, how do the POE gamws compare to say Arcanum?

punk rebel ecks fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Jul 8, 2021

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
Obsidian didn't even announce The Outer Worlds until after they were acquired by Microsoft.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Boomerang X just released. It looks badass so somebody who's getting it post your impressions please.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ankwA_dWezs

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

PoE1 is like a textbook case of how not to do worldbuilding in a video game. Within minutes of venturing anywhere you're accosted by some boring NPC has no reason to give you the 10,000 word loredump history of this world but proceeds to do so anyway. You make people interested in your video game world by allowing them to engage with it, not by having characters who have already read ahead in the script tell you what happened prior to your arrival.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008

punk rebel ecks posted:

I'm actually surprised that Alpha Protocol didn't break even after selling nearly a million copies. While the game was great it was very budget, at least relative to other games in it's genre.

System wise, POE isn't even in the same catagory of jank as Arcanum. But you won't be able to do nearly as much weird poo poo, I.E. beat the whole game with charisma checks.

POE is just remastered Baldurs Gate. That's a better comparison.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Palpek posted:

It's true that MS hasn't seen the 3 million copies of TOW sold yet but I doubt they would have bought Obsidian if they haven't been working on their own Fallout spin-off.

maybe, but personally i think they were interested in obsidian regardless.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Givin posted:

My PoE fatigue comes from trying to figure out what the billion different things are and what they do when they are just renames of already existing D&D abilities and spells for the most part.

That's what got me too. The way the skills are written never really clicked with me. I apparently played 140 hours of PoE2 but it was all restarting the early game dozens of times and I still have no clue how half of the classes functioned or what any spells did or what abilities sounded good but were actually bad and vice versa

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

It's very said but traditional WRPGs seem to be a very niche genre. There are some games that can breakthrough the mold like The Witcher and Disco Elysium, but it seems that not too many gamers in the general populace want much actual roleplaying with their roleplaying game.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

punk rebel ecks posted:

It's very said but traditional WRPGs seem to be a very niche genre. There are some games that can breakthrough the mold like The Witcher and Disco Elysium, but it seems that not too many gamers in the general populace want much actual roleplaying with their roleplaying game.

I Believe in Larian

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Givin posted:

System wise, POE isn't even in the same catagory of jank as Arcanum. But you won't be able to do nearly as much weird poo poo, I.E. beat the whole game with charisma checks.

POE is just remastered Baldurs Gate. That's a better comparison.

Arcanum is crazy. So much of the game is so jank and bad, but it has the best actual roleplaying experience ever and the industrial revolution fantasy setting worked great.

No other game I've ever played has come close to actual "roleplaying".

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

punk rebel ecks posted:

"Budget" Alpha Protocol was a 4 year (okay, 2.5-3 of online project time since it got kind of back burnered at points) Triple A production. They needed it to do Mass Effect numbers.

Id say if you like Arcanum in 2021, you might have the patience for PoE or PoE2. Different lineage, bit similar crunchy bits.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

exquisite tea posted:

I Believe in Larian

From what I've played of the BG3 beta like 90% of the gameplay consists of cutscenes of tropey characters flexing their textbook D&D Alignment System Examples personalities over each other so it will probably do extremely well with a mass audience, yea

e: I don't think it's Larian's fault though, it feels like in several ways this game is being dictated-but-not-read by WotC who really wants it to be a primer to introduce brand new players to the D&D ruleset and universe

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Jul 8, 2021

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

zedprime posted:

"Budget" Alpha Protocol was a 4 year (okay, 2.5-3 of online project time since it got kind of back burnered at points) Triple A production. They needed it to do Mass Effect numbers.

With the games hanky animations and terrible mechanics outside of roleplaying, it came across as a bottom shelf title at best in terms of scope.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

"A mass audience" haha

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

exquisite tea posted:

PoE1 is like a textbook case of how not to do worldbuilding in a video game. Within minutes of venturing anywhere you're accosted by some boring NPC has no reason to give you the 10,000 word loredump history of this world but proceeds to do so anyway. You make people interested in your video game world by allowing them to engage with it, not by having characters who have already read ahead in the script tell you what happened prior to your arrival.

see, that wasn't even what rubbed me the wrong way. i like reading text dumps. what i don't like is not knowing where to put stat points and how many people i should have a party and how do i outfit them and where/when i should do quests. is buying equipment stupid, like a diablo, because i'll always find better stuff in a dungeon? or is buying stuff the expected way to power my team up to deal with encounters? is there a finite amount of experience/money, like the harebrained schemes shadowrun games? or can i grind random encounters for levels and loot like a jrpg?

i'd say it's very much a game that requires someone who already knows how to play it to coach you on things, something i always say about blood bowl. but the thing is with blood bowl is it's a multiplayer game and i had a bunch of friends teach me the rules 10 years ago, pillars of eternity has neither of those touchstones for me

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Cowcaster posted:

too bad i won't pick it up and play it until i successfully get through pillars of eternity 1

I'm in this post and I don't like it

I've tried. I made it through Wasteland 3 when it came out, so I don't think I'm like, done with rpgs or whatever, but PoE has been a wall.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 51 minutes!
PoE1 is very Baldur's Gate. That's intentional of course.

PoE2 is much more its own game, and narratively it is set in a pretty interesting conflict. It's all about colonialism, imperialism, slavery, along with capitalist exploitation. There's a lot to talk about. It also has some very affable companions that are actually monsters.

Also:

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

punk rebel ecks posted:

Arcanum is crazy. So much of the game is so jank and bad, but it has the best actual roleplaying experience ever and the industrial revolution fantasy setting worked great.

Arcanum is indeed an amazingly great game with awful mechanics. Definitely top of the class in the "janky-rear end isometric party-based plot driven RPG". I should replay it one of these days.

That said, PoE2 is indeed Obsidian's best title since New Vegas and it is a shame I slept on it on release after being underwhelmed by PoE, which I guess was the case with a lot of people.

[edit] Also, gently caress I am too reinstalling Arcanum

ZearothK fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Jul 8, 2021

Givin
Jan 24, 2008

punk rebel ecks posted:

I'm installing it now because of your post reminding me I have it on GOG. I haven't played it in forever. The great thing about it was every time you run through it you find something weird and different that you had no clue even was possible just based on how you were playing your dude.

Also, now that I think about Arcanum, I think I'll give Disco Elysium another shot and think of it more in this vein. Thanks friendo!

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Make a CRPG like the first Malazan book where you have no idea what exactly is going on until 20+ hours in.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

also i should point out that i understand a big part of the pitch for pillars of eternity 2 is "no, seriously, you don't have to play pillars of eternity 1 to jump in!" but the fact that you can a) import your character from pillars of eternity 1 and b) at least a couple of decisions you make in pillars of eternity 1 carry over to 2 if you import a save means that even if that claim is true, it rubs me the wrong way

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Givin posted:

I'm installing it now because of your post reminding me I have it on GOG. I haven't played it in forever. The great thing about it was every time you run through it you find something weird and different that you had no clue even was possible just based on how you were playing your dude.

When I played the first time I (end game spoilers for the 20 year old game) never figured out that the Elf you are supposed to be a reincarnation of is alive and well and recruitable for your party. A few years later my then girlfriend was playing the game and I was absolutely floored by that revelation.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Sometimes developers capitalize on things they understand really well, or get lucky, and they make a good game or two and people begin to worship them. I think we've well passed the point with Obsidian where people blame their failures on anything other than them. You can love some things a developer has done while acknowledging that they have serious problems and/or have gone downhill.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Cowcaster posted:

also i should point out that i understand a big part of the pitch for pillars of eternity 2 is "no, seriously, you don't have to play pillars of eternity 1 to jump in!" but the fact that you can a) import your character from pillars of eternity 1 and b) at least a couple of decisions you make in pillars of eternity 1 carry over to 2 if you import a save means that even if that claim is true, it rubs me the wrong way

I played POE2 without ever touching the first one and didn’t feel like I was missing anything. But I could see how that could hurt sales.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
Another Forza Horizon 4 question. I know that 5 is coming soon. Is the game still fun without other people since I assume it will be dead as soon as 5 hits?

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

This post will probably be mocked but I think another thing that makes Arcanum stand out is that the world, setting, and general style is actually memorable. It still remember how the aesthetics and world of that game feel a decade after playing it. This is in contrast to most WRPGs I play where the world and setting is relatively generic and is an afterthought for the general scope of the game. Even for many of the "unique" ones.

Like for example what was Arcanum's battle music like? What is the sound that plays when defeating an enemy? Now think of like almost any other acclaimed WRPG, or even your favorite, can you answer either of those questions?

Edit - Also according to NPD, Arcanum sold just twice as much as POE2 pitiful 110,000 units but was considered a success? Maybe POE2 had crazy scope or gaming budgets have gotten out of control the past two decades?

punk rebel ecks fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Jul 8, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i can play the squish noise a lemming makes after falling too far in the dos game back in my head at will in perfect fidelity