Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Aardvark! posted:

Zack Snyder's next movie is a sci-fi adventure called Rebel Moon that was originally a Star Wars script, mixed with Seven Samurai.

Star Wars already did this on The Clone Wars

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Escobarbarian posted:

Patti Harrison is excellent yeah. She was maybe the best part of Shrill and was great in Made For Love too. I love her other sketch this season about the Charlie Brown float

She was great this season, which I was glad to see because I thought her "Christmas came early" sketch was easily the low point of S1

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

Ahh, thanks. I forgot Chuck had a piano.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
I haven't seen many of the recent Marvel movies and generally don't care about the universe at all but Loki is drat good.

I'm for sure going to watch the gently caress out of the Moon Knight series though

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I like that Loki and Wanda were willing to go extra weird. The Captain America show feels like a dud in comparison.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

ShakeZula posted:

She was great this season, which I was glad to see because I thought her "Christmas came early" sketch was easily the low point of S1

My favorite thing about the show is how you kind of think everyone likes the same sketches, but then you read peoples lists and nope! The ones you didn’t care for so much are other peoples total faves.

It’s a show I genuinely feel bad for the people who don’t vibe with it, because it’s so good that if I think about a sketch from s1, half the time I end up putting it on and well it’s 15 minutes long so I mights well watch the whole episode, and dammit I’ve watched the whole season again.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Aardvark! posted:

Zack Snyder's next movie is a sci-fi adventure called Rebel Moon that was originally a Star Wars script, mixed with Seven Samurai.

When I think intricate and substantive back stories, world building, and characters I think of Zack Snyder

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Mu Zeta posted:

I like that Loki and Wanda were willing to go extra weird. The Captain America show feels like a dud in comparison.

To this day I still think about how that show ended after Wanda reluctantly released the entire town's worth of people she had been exquisitely torturing for however long, and someone coming up to her to say, "they'll never know what you sacrificed. "

Swing and a miss!

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Shageletic posted:

To this day I still think about how that show ended after Wanda reluctantly released the entire town's worth of people she had been exquisitely torturing for however long, and someone coming up to her to say, "they'll never know what you sacrificed. "

Swing and a miss!

Only someone that has had their long term Sims save get corrupted can understand Wanda's pain

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

There were certainly some issues with Wandavision's ending, but it's worth noting that the character saying that line is freshly dealing with traumatic grief of her own (and is thus especially sympathetic to Wanda's motivations), the context of the scene is Wanda doing a walk of shame through town as her victims stare daggers at her, and that Wanda's immediate response is "It wouldn't change how they see me." It's far from the show endorsing Wanda's actions or presenting her as a hero.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Shageletic posted:

Swing and a miss!

Well yeah the finale was crap but I liked most of the show. I was surprised the show cost $200 million. They must have spent all that on the stupid cgi fights at the end.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

ShakeZula posted:

There were certainly some issues with Wandavision's ending, but it's worth noting that the character saying that line is freshly dealing with traumatic grief of her own (and is thus especially sympathetic to Wanda's motivations), the context of the scene is Wanda doing a walk of shame through town as her victims stare daggers at her, and that Wanda's immediate response is "It wouldn't change how they see me." It's far from the show endorsing Wanda's actions or presenting her as a hero.

Its an idea the show definitely could have presented better but its also one that people went out of their way to take the worst possible interpretation of in the wake of all their disappointment over the non play of the twist teases - both real and imagined.

If I remember right Falcon and the Winter Solider was supposed to come out before WandaVision but COVID delayed it. So the plan seemed to be to have Phase 4 be kind of an epilogue with Spidey 2, Black Widow, and the Cap stuff and then into weird new stuff with Wanda and Loki as well as the movies like Spidey 3. But I think they're whole schedule got thrown off so now there's "epilogue" stuff that feels "boring" compared to the weirder multiverse direction of Phase 4.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Jul 8, 2021

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

ShakeZula posted:

It's classic "if you feel bad, then your pain eclipses all that [raping] you did". There's a lot of moral blame shifting going on in those shows, but like, lol if that's their biggest problem.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
After two episodes, Loki is incredibly frustrating to me. It's got all the right elements to be a great show, but it's just so drat clunky in its execution. The comic timing is generally just slightly off (except Wilson who nails every line) and there's tons of spaces for good jokes that just end up being a throwaway line that adds nothing to the scene and doesn't even try to be funny. Like the writer wrote "[insert quip here]" in the script, but nobody came up with anything on set so they just had the actor say something pedestrian to fill the space.

The broad plotting and story structure is great, but the writing is terrible. It's just neverending exposition dumps in dialogue which are all utterly boring and unnecessary. The thing is crazy overwritten, which I have to assume comes from them being terrified of being too weird or too confusing for a broad four-quadrant audience. The whole show has a sense of insecurity about it, like it's walking on eggshells around its own premise because it's terrified that its audience won't be able to keep up.

I keep comparing it with the Doctor Who reboot, which I only like one (uneven) season of, but is just so so much more confident in its execution. It doesn't need to explain every little detail or reason behind everything, it's focused on moving the energetic and propulsive story forward in a messy and fun way. It trusts its audience to keep up. In comparison, Loki is just a bunch of people standing around and talking about what they just did, debating what they should do, and stating what they're going to do—just in case you were looking at your phone for half the episode.

Maybe that's just them laying the foundation and the subsequent episodes get more confident and aren't afraid to be weird, but at this point in the show there's no momentum.

e: and that WandaVision ending is even worse than y'all are saying, because the show tries SO hard to make Wanda not a villain and falls on its face anyway. As soon as they revealed that Wanda wasn't actively creating the world but a passive victim of her powers manifesting it, the show was all downhill from there. It was a totally cowardly move calculated to have Wanda avoid the bulk of responsibility so they didn't have to deal with the repercussions of her actions and could maintain the character's status quo. A real bummer.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 12:58 on Jul 8, 2021

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

feedmyleg posted:

Like the writer wrote "[insert quip here]" in the script, but nobody came up with anything on set so they just had the actor say something pedestrian to fill the space.

That's actually how they write these. [Insert joke here, but nothing too funny.] I remember reading something like that in an Abrahm's script treatment once.

Pretty sure the fifth episode had the same piece of exposition about three times. But it's cheap seats cinema -- like Maccas, you know you're eating chicken cartilage when you make the decision to chow down.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I know Gossip Girl and Euphoria are getting all the attention, but, pound for pound, Generation is the best of the HBO teen crop of dramas.

Yes, there are moments where it's obvious that one of the lead writers is teen (take a drink every time someone uses the word "truth") in the finale, but it also feels authentic, and the emotions are achingly on point -- you know, the good things about working with teens.

I loving loved the back half of the show (eps 9-16). After the first half aired, I honestly thought it'd been cancelled. And if that's all we're gonna end up getting, then it's a shame, but it's a strong ending. Hopefully Gossip Girl gets it a bit of attention.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Open Source Idiom posted:

That's actually how they write these. [Insert joke here, but nothing too funny.] I remember reading something like that in an Abrahm's script treatment once.

Well that certainly sounds like JJ Abrams' writing anyway.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
They fly now?

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

lokis good

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/MarvelStudios/status/1413165988141404161

Sounds like some characters are going to be voiced by their MCU actors and some ain't. Some of those look really cool (Captain Carter) but I'm skeptical of others (why would Killmonger save Tony and why would Black Panther end up a ravager)

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Because Yondu landed on a different part of the Earth and stole a different child.

And I can't imagine why the CIA asset would be saving the rich weapons manufacturer.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I can’t believe how unrealistic these what if scenarios about a fictional universe are

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I guess I forgot Killmonger was a CIA asset

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Cinema Discusso on Black Panther is one of the most annoying things ever on all of not just SA but the entire internet

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
Every Spaceman moment is golden.

https://twitter.com/Srirachachau/status/1412934279223414787?s=19

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Escobarbarian posted:

Cinema Discusso on Black Panther is one of the most annoying things ever on all of not just SA but the entire internet

The rest of the forums mock tviv and how bad goons are at watching tv but since goons inevitably post in the forums they usually talk about, it always struck me as a weird deflection away from their own hang ups regarding the consumption of media.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Dr. Leo Spaceman, of the Ho Chi Minh School of Medicine.

God, I miss 30 Rock.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

I got really nervous for a second seeing this posted, hoping Chris Parnell was okay.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Gonz posted:

Dr. Leo Spaceman, of the Ho Chi Minh School of Medicine.

God, I miss 30 Rock.

Boy, it's crazy to think we used to settle questions of paternity by dunking a woman in water until she admitted she made it all up.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Unfortunately, there's no field of medicine that deals with the brain

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
Medicine is not an exact science...

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Amazon is doing a panel on Wheel of Time on the 23rd so I'm going to guess we'll get a release date then.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

ruddiger posted:

The rest of the forums mock tviv and how bad goons are at watching tv but since goons inevitably post in the forums they usually talk about, it always struck me as a weird deflection away from their own hang ups regarding the consumption of media.

Some of the subforums def get a little cliquish, especially in the gen chat threads ( :ironicat: ) but it makes me laugh like come on, let the subforum that is without poo poo posts cast the first lol

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
Jeff Goldblum is gonna be a major part of Search Party S5 :dance:

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

ruddiger posted:

Oh boy you don’t wanna hear what the rest of the forums say about CD then

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Some of the subforums def get a little cliquish, especially in the gen chat threads ( :ironicat: ) but it makes me laugh like come on, let the subforum that is without poo poo posts cast the first lol

Yeah, every sub is super obsessed and cliquish about their thing and has a percentage of members who can't imagine anyone being exactly the same way about something else.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Arist posted:

Unfortunately, there's no field of medicine that deals with the brain

We'd at least know if bread ate away at the brain, if not for the powerful bread lobby stopping his research!

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Escobarbarian posted:

Oh boy you don’t wanna hear what the rest of the forums say about CD then

I like talking about the random movies I watch now and then in this thread just because I assume CD is full of movie-people and movies to me are just tv shows that manage to be too-long and too-short at the same time, plus I hate being forced to look at the screen to get what's going on, so just no use talking to movie-perverts.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Half the people in CD don't seem to look at the screen when they watch movies either so just post op

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Transformers viewed through the Lacanian lens compeletely subverts theasaihfiowj

*drinks own cum*