Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which lifepath will you take?
NOMAD (I like freedom)
STREET KID (I like the city)
CORPO (I like money)
I don't like labels
View Results

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009
I played Morrowind a year ago and it was hot garbage even compared to Oblivion and Skyrim. Worse characters, worse quests, worse dungeons (after the fifth or sixth generic egg mine or 4 room ancient tombs with nothing in them I stopped caring entirely about what lay beyond the beaten path), that awful town Vivec, that godforsaken single song that plays constantly, an interminably slow movement speed even with maxed stats and the cheat boots, and a main quest that consisted 60% of trundling through poorly laid out towns and tribal camps to fetch and deliver notes and books. Doesn't help that the game starts flailing and screaming wildly if you randomly find a piece of ebony or daedric gear or god forbid level up beyond lv 15 and have competent stats. Tribunal was a bit better in most regards but they had to turn every basic goblin into a brick shithouse to combat how broken everything is and that kind of arms races winds up just bogging things down even further. But sure, muh mushrooms and muh bug carapaces I guess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Morrowind always kind of cemented that Elder Scrolls games weren’t for me because it was one of those games where everyone describing their favorite stories about the game always just sounded like it was a broken and unbalanced mess and not a tightly crafted experience. People would explain the arcane methods they’d use to become overpowered and if just go “wow that sounds dumb as gently caress”

I played Oblivion at launch in High School and it stops being entertaining after character creation, I played Skyrim at launch and it’s fine but I consider that game an absolute relic by modern standards.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Bust Rodd posted:

I played Skyrim at launch and it’s fine but I consider that game an absolute relic by modern standards.

What do you mean?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

There's a supreme ugliness to the TES color pallette that was always off-putting to me. I find those games kind of exhausting to look at.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Messed up to call Skyrim a relic in a thread about a game with a worse leveling/skill/perk system.

exquisite tea posted:

There's a supreme ugliness to the TES color pallette that was always off-putting to me. I find those games kind of exhausting to look at.

I don’t deal with this since I mod the hell out of them but vanilla TES and Fallout games are some of the ugliest games ever made.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Messed up to call Skyrim a relic in a thread about a game with a worse leveling/skill/perk system.

I don’t deal with this since I mod the hell out of them but vanilla TES and Fallout games are some of the ugliest games ever made.

I vaguely remember Fallout 4 not being aggressively ugly/color graded everywhere?

F3, Morrowind and Skyrim were aggressively ugly though. poo poo, even the otherwise awesome New Vegas was just a beige smear outside a handful of areas.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Fallout 4 was overly green if I remember.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I will once again bring up my point from forever ago that this game's gameplay/rpg-ness would have been improved by lowering the level cap from 50 to like 30-35, forcing a more thoughtful approach to player build and attribute selection.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I have and will always hate the level progression of skyrim. Cyberpunk is obscure to say the least and has many trap skills but at least I didn't have to shoot 2000 enemies to 8 trainers to get the perk that finally made my build not terrible.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Axe-man posted:

I have and will always hate the level progression of skyrim. Cyberpunk is obscure to say the least and has many trap skills but at least I didn't have to shoot 2000 enemies to 8 trainers to get the perk that finally made my build not terrible.

I mean there's 2-3 branches in cyberpunk that were (are? not sure if they've been fixed) straight up impossible to level up without doing bugs or doing the same poo poo thousands of time too. On the plus side perks being attribute locked was a better design choice, I'll give you that. I think the whole attribute capping skill trees which in turn gate what perks you can get was pretty cool. But then you can level up to 50 and max out like 2+ attributes without even trying and it all fall aparts.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Tenzarin posted:

That was 3. 4 was pretty neutral.

Random screenshot from google:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Tenzarin posted:

FO3 had a green filter on every environment, NV had an orange one. Both games were a lot prettier with mods that removed them (and ample texture mods).

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Which game had a brown filter? Was that oblivion? I was thinking nv was orange but I recall the games going brown>orange>green.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
NV was mostly orange but went brown in Legion areas

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
I always thought FO4 was alright, like, a good time.
Stories never really bother me much so maybe that's why I don't hate it

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

I fell in love with TES with Daggerfall and i have too much nostalgia associated with the series to ever objectively judge it. I also don't claim it is anything special beyond some shining points.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

peter gabriel posted:

For sure. Fallout 4 gets an incredible amount of poo poo for the actually quite solid game it is. The story isn't anything special but also isn't so terrible as a setup for just allowing you to explore the map and play the game. It also looks great, which helps, and the gunplay is better than any other in the series.

Tons of content in the game as well, lots of different kinds of missions, all the outpost stuff (which i didn't really like but some people loved), etc.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

:siren: Cyberpunk Mod Reviews :siren:

It's mostly easy to pick out good mods for Cyberpunk, go to the nexus and search for what's irritating you about the gameplay (e.g. scrapper perk scrapping valuable items, too much poo poo on the world map, can't remove mods) and there's probably a mod for it. But after playing a while I want to highlight some mods that are either real good individually, or in combination with others.

S Tier - I love these mods!

Annoy Me No More - Removes a half dozen random dumb things about the game, like how you can accidentally crouch during conversations, and getting a phone call locks out a bunch of your controls.

Realistic Driving Experience (KB+M version) + Better Vehicle First Person + Better Minimap - Holy poo poo this fixes so much about how driving feels. Mini map zooms out when you drive! You can fully configure your view in the cockpit and save different ones for each car! You can drive a sports car in the city without endless burnouts and crashes (unless you want to)! Cars that are big slow barges won't suddenly drive like motorcycles though.

AI Netrunners Enhanced - Enemy netrunners can do all kinds of poo poo to you now, will do it more often, and are harder to interrupt. Low level netrunners aren't OP but late game ones have damage hacks that bypass all resistances, and even instant kill ultimate hacks!

Level Scaling and Balance - Vanilla level scaling is SO BAD, it keeps enemies 5 levels behind you past a certain point, which means you're basically a red skull enemy to THEM (so you do 2x damage and they do 0.7x damage!), this has enemies scale all the way to 50 and also has other optional difficulty modifiers.

I'm not that far in the game (level 12) so I'm probably not getting 100% of the value from this yet because I'm not at the point where difficulty really craters in vanilla yet, but so far so good. Between this and netrunners it seems harder than I remember.

Gorilla Arms Extended - Gorilla arms do everything like they're supposed to, like force open doors and take guns off turrets.

Sensible Stamina and Athletics - You can actually level stamina without weird grinds/exploits.

Purify the UI - Removes annoying "visual effects" that just make the text hader to read (2D ghosting, chromatic aberration), it legitimately reduces eyestrain from trying to read the HUD text.

Nice to Have - These all work as intended with no bugs that I can find. They're more "add the mod if X thing is annoying you specifically" kind of things.

No Cyberware Requirements
Declutter WorldMap
Wear What You Want
Stop Accidentally Disassembling Iconics
No Extra Ammo Crafting
RipperDeck
Eyes LOD Fix
Spicy Clean Hack Screen
Hide Known Specs
No Intro Videos
Unequip Mods
Alternate Character Creation Lighting
Smarter Scrapper
Constant Upgrade Cost
Hide Read shards
Fix Missing Vendor Items
Clear Skill Checks
Armor Fix for All Weapons

Installed but Untested - Haven't really used yet, but just installing it didn't cause bugs or break another mod.

Enhanced Throwing Knives - haven't played with throwing knives yet, but this mod makes them viable because you can recover thrown knives instead of having them LOST FOREVER WTF

Tried Mod, had Issue

Full Weapon Rebalance - This sounds :krad: on paper but it seems weird as hell IRL, like my guns were all in the 130-150 DPS range before the mod, and after the mod it looked similar except it made one precision rifle I had jump to 500 DPS.

Will Try Later, Maybe

Eye Adaptation Auto Exposure Fix - Supposed to fix how driving in 1st person can give you insane glare. For whatever reason I haven't really run into it much yet, but if/when bloom makes me drive into a light post I'll probably install it and try it.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

sean10mm posted:

I vaguely remember Fallout 4 not being aggressively ugly/color graded everywhere?

F3, Morrowind and Skyrim were aggressively ugly though. poo poo, even the otherwise awesome New Vegas was just a beige smear outside a handful of areas.

Which is why probably every 3rd mod for those games is an ENB or reshade. Other games don't seem to need them so much.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I will once again bring up my point from forever ago that this game's gameplay/rpg-ness would have been improved by lowering the level cap from 50 to like 30-35, forcing a more thoughtful approach to player build and attribute selection.

Are there 30-35 useful, working perks in the trees?

I don't like the skill trees in this game to be honest. The point's been made before that it feels like the people designing the gameplay/quests weren't talking to the people designing the skill trees and perks.

Or maybe they just removed this entire, huge underwater quest chain because of the early release and we're going to get CP: Atlantis as the first DLC where we'll need the swimming skills.

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009

peter gabriel posted:

4 is a far better technical game than 3, but 3 and NV's leveling and stat system is just more satisfying. Number go up tends to trump nebulous perk descriptions in the feeling department (though Outer Worlds and Cyberpunk make 4's perk tree look a more appealing in hindsight). 4 is also way too bloated contentwise for how quickly you smash the balance curve in that game (outright being given power armor 2 hours in didn't help matters), I made it to like hour 60 on a replay and still had central Boston and the eastern side of the map to contend with not even counting Far Harbor or Nuka World and I just had to tap out.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
You get power armor in the first 10-30 minutes of fallout 4, unless you avoid going to that town. I guess I must consider, if your spend those first 2 hours to build sancutary with build mode, then its pretty sound.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I enjoyed what they were going for with Power Armor in 4 but man the entire thing was clunky as all hell. Also I kinda really hated almost every weapon in FO4 from an aesthetic point of view. Just an endless amount of pipe guns and poo poo.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Take it easy on bethesda, they had a really good stealth system in skyrim and then just just forgot about it when it came time for fallout 4.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Tenzarin posted:

Take it easy on bethesda, they had a really good stealth system in skyrim and then just just forgot about it when it came time for fallout 4.

Stealth pistol headshots with the Underground Railroad bonus pistol is hilariously OP in that game

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

v1ld posted:

Or maybe they just removed this entire, huge underwater quest chain because of the early release and we're going to get CP: Atlantis as the first DLC where we'll need the swimming skills.
I like to think the swimming skills are an ironic shout-out to the original Deus Ex.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Zephro posted:

I like to think the swimming skills are an ironic shout-out to the original Deus Ex.

How many swimming perks are there? I only remember 1 that makes you invisible underwater :ninja:

The body carrying perks are baffling because you really only move bodies around after you've killed all the bad guys.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Play posted:

For sure. Fallout 4 gets an incredible amount of poo poo for the actually quite solid game it is. The story isn't anything special but also isn't so terrible as a setup for just allowing you to explore the map and play the game. It also looks great, which helps, and the gunplay is better than any other in the series.

Tons of content in the game as well, lots of different kinds of missions, all the outpost stuff (which i didn't really like but some people loved), etc.

FO4 gets poo poo for a lot of the same reasons CP does, though to greater or lesser degree depending on what you're talking about. The big issue with FO4 is that you can see a much better game hiding in side that could have been. Taken without context it's a good romp, taken as a whole it's kind of a letdown.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Mendrian posted:

FO4 gets poo poo for a lot of the same reasons CP does, though to greater or lesser degree depending on what you're talking about. The big issue with FO4 is that you can see a much better game hiding in side that could have been. Taken without context it's a good romp, taken as a whole it's kind of a letdown.

My take is that everything involving the plot is a D. Fallout 3 would be an F for comparison. Give them credit for multiple factions and endings and poo poo but The Institute is just dumb as poo poo.

Shooting things feels pretty good and it's not bad for playing dress up and randomly loving around, there's fun side stuff to find and do all over the map and it has a jillion mods of course.

MarshyMcFly
Aug 16, 2012

I just got back into playing and forgot that I recorded this gem of a video clip lol!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iEtdgU5gx1A

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

MarshyMcFly posted:

I just got back into playing and forgot that I recorded this gem of a video clip lol!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iEtdgU5gx1A

CDPR would say this is satisfactory.

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

That guy has been trying and failing for like 100 pages to get anyone to respond to his low effort posts about cyberpunk but you guys all fell for his morrowind bait. :( Disappointed.

we could talk about the cool things in cp77 such as

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Zeta Acosta posted:

we could talk about the cool things in cp77 such as

It wasn't quite as much of a PR disaster as Daikatana.

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari

Jack Trades posted:

It wasn't quite as much of a PR disaster as Daikatana.

the game will be fixed with the biggest update ever that they are hypin on my instagram feed

oh nevermind

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.

SplitSoul posted:

FO3 had a green filter on every environment, NV had an orange one. Both games were a lot prettier with mods that removed them (and ample texture mods).

This is a misremembering/memefying of Fallout 3 that I always see. The colours actually change as you hit various areas of the map. You can actually tell where you are by the various gradients of colour you're experiencing, as well as the environment its self changing.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

sean10mm posted:

My take is that everything involving the plot is a D.

One thing I was really confused about in Fallout 4 was when exactly the player is supposed to find out that he was frozen for years after his son was taken

It seemed to me at first that only a few hours had passed and you send a good chunk of the early game telling everyone that you were looking for this baby. Then later you see a recording of the guy who kidnapped him with a young child. I'm like "Oh wow it's been years! Good twist!" but none of the characters react to this or seem to find it noteworthy. Then way later you find out it's actually been decades and they act like that's the big twist, but I felt like they were just hitting me with the same thing twice.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Zeta Acosta posted:

the game will be fixed with the biggest update ever that they are hypin on my instagram feed

oh nevermind

lmao cdpr sucks so much rear end now hahahaha

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

exquisite tea posted:

I think all Bethesda games just have a baseline level of fugly built into them. FO4 is by far their brightest and least-ugly game, as long as there's no characters in the scene. It's a one-two punch of them being seemingly incapable of recreating a human face, but them animating it makes it even worse. The best shots in Bethesda games are always landscapes.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

besides stability, what's the highest impact change from patches in the last few months? with all
the talk about the game (in some threads), i've been thinking about returning.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Khanstant posted:

I think all Bethesda games just have a baseline level of fugly built into them. FO4 is by far their brightest and least-ugly game, as long as there's no characters in the scene. It's a one-two punch of them being seemingly incapable of recreating a human face, but them animating it makes it even worse. The best shots in Bethesda games are always landscapes.

yeah i really didn't like the faces in 4. so much so, that i think they're a step back from skyrim, despite using newer tech.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!
The only mod that would get me back into this game is if there was one that deleted Johnny "Edgelord" Silverhand entirely. I had high hopes going in but having a woman abusing straight white guy constantly popping up to belittle me at every possible second just absolutely slew any enjoyment in the story. Especially given the lame cop out endings. A far more interesting story would, imo, have been Jackie slotting the chip and dying without giving it up. V still gets capped but survives ala FNV, or hell just have Takemura save you at the last minute. Everyone's sad about Jackie dying and they have a funeral for him at the bar only for him to suddenly sit up in the middle of the service. The rest of the story could even play out the same but with the added guessing game of figuring out just how much of your buddy is left and how much is the perennial loser terrorist. You still get to be V and you have full agency over what happens to your character. Idk though I'm just spitballin here.