Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Amazing Member posted:

This thread gave me a few good gems and reminded me that State of Decay 2 exists again, though I was wondering

if anyone had any recommendation, even niche for something like an offline-foxhole type game?

I like production chains and resource management but I like risk so combat or wars are pretty cool. Like, the ideal thing that comes to mind, is having some squad or unit or what have you and then building production chains to create weapons and armor and vehicles and stuff to equip them with.

Does that sound like anything? I've scoured steam, but apart from the usual stuff nothing seems to click.

Unless I'm just describing Kenshi, which honestly just looks....so...rough.
You OK going old-school?

https://www.gog.com/game/the_settlers_2_10th_anniversary

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

skeleton warrior posted:

Yes! That was absolutely it!

I think the other one was Bomber Crew, which seems to be more of an FTL than a logistics manager.

Bomber crew has been out for a few years though.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Amazing Member posted:

This thread gave me a few good gems and reminded me that State of Decay 2 exists again, though I was wondering

if anyone had any recommendation, even niche for something like an offline-foxhole type game?

I like production chains and resource management but I like risk so combat or wars are pretty cool. Like, the ideal thing that comes to mind, is having some squad or unit or what have you and then building production chains to create weapons and armor and vehicles and stuff to equip them with.

Does that sound like anything? I've scoured steam, but apart from the usual stuff nothing seems to click.

Unless I'm just describing Kenshi, which honestly just looks....so...rough.

For you I would suggest Star Traders: Frontiers. It is not exactly what you are asking for in any of your words or appropriate in this thread: but I think you got the breadth of gaming to go into a Treese Brothers joint with it's rich mechanical flow into each other.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

skooma512 posted:

You my friend want Foxhole.

Running with Rifles, but massively MP. Logistics are explicitly part of the game. You have to keep your bunkers supplied so people can spawn there, as well as supplied with ammo and weapons. You can even to drive a truck from a factory in the back all the way to the front :v:

There's a Goon group in too

You want to read the post above mine. ;)

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

You want to read the post above mine. ;)

Ah my bad.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Grevlek posted:

Has anyone played both Production Line and Big Pharma? Seems like they are by the same guy, and big pharma is older,do I'm trying to see if there is a reason to get big pharma.

The production line guy is publishing big pharma. Big pharma was developed by twice circled.

skooma512 posted:

You my friend want Foxhole.

Running with Rifles, but massively MP. Logistics are explicitly part of the game. You have to keep your bunkers supplied so people can spawn there, as well as supplied with ammo and weapons. You can even to drive a truck from a factory in the back all the way to the front :v:

There's a Goon group in too

The complaint I heard with this is that it's pretty grindy, no one wants to actually grind, and you don't get the benefit of your grinds. Where's the group?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

There is a goon thread for foxhole here

skooma512 posted:

Ah my bad.

No worries. :v:

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Big Pharma is one of top faves. The Twice Circled crew went on to do Megaquarium, which is a FANTASTIC management sim about building an aquarium in various scenarios and seeing to the environments of your tanks for increasingly demanding and also cool fish. Both are highly worth playing imo.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

Is there a dedicated threat to Industries of Titan? I'm hooked on the game and I can't seem to find any tips or advice beyond the recent Nilaus series on youtube.
On his videos he says that fuel turbines have to be built far away from each other or they won't be effective. Can anyone confirm this?

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Kraftwerk posted:

Is there a dedicated threat to Industries of Titan? I'm hooked on the game and I can't seem to find any tips or advice beyond the recent Nilaus series on youtube.
On his videos he says that fuel turbines have to be built far away from each other or they won't be effective. Can anyone confirm this?

I have observed Xenthine levels lowering after having turbine buildings and turbine components. The rate is not apocalyptic, and I never ran out of Xenthine in my starter HQ basement turbine. I get greater returns when I put my turbine into It kinda makes the indoor fuel production rate experience the some deminishing returns if you're just tengraming full floors of turbines. I have not done any tolerance testing as electricity is where I experience the most building bottle necking. Well... That and desire. It is such a cool puzzle to figure out, I just wish I liked it.

Amazing Member
Apr 4, 2008

KirbyKhan posted:

For you I would suggest Star Traders: Frontiers. It is not exactly what you are asking for in any of your words or appropriate in this thread: but I think you got the breadth of gaming to go into a Treese Brothers joint with it's rich mechanical flow into each other.

Interesting suggestion, I kinda see it. I got turned off from it early on but I have seen so much development time put into it. How does this fit into production chains and resource management though? Aside from your crew being a resource and such. It definitely seems like a game with a LOT of systems subtly pushing effects around and the game has never been open about how some of the systems compliment or debilitate outcomes, has that changed at all? Do I still need a wiki or online calculator to crunch out an effective bounty hunter crew and cap?

Foxhole talk- Foxhole is a lot of fun, Foxhole is a lot of headache.

There's a supply chain and you are constantly in need of something on a front, if you like truck driving sims, you might enjoy running logi. It can be rewarding like nothing else I've seen for a consistant war sim, and the style is light-hearted, top-down semi-isometric which lends to a jump-in, jump-out gameplay loop.

The headaches come more in the form of somewhat wonky mechanics and some grit between the level and your character (falling through maps is still a semi-often thing that happens) The devs are constantly updating with new layers(they just added weather that has huge ramifications on a front) but honestly, they could do with tightening up some of the general problems that have been with the game since.... a while now.

Check the thread, we have a discord too

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Galaga Galaxian posted:

There is a goon thread for foxhole here

No worries. :v:

Thanks!

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Amazing Member posted:

Interesting suggestion, I kinda see it. I got turned off from it early on but I have seen so much development time put into it. How does this fit into production chains and resource management though? Aside from your crew being a resource and such. It definitely seems like a game with a LOT of systems subtly pushing effects around and the game has never been open about how some of the systems compliment or debilitate outcomes, has that changed at all? Do I still need a wiki or online calculator to crunch out an effective bounty hunter crew and cap?

The tool tipping explains itself mechanically well enough. The formula can be derived, and the logs can be audited. Every system (spying, trade, ship upgrades, individual crew) can be seen as a production line. The ways other subsystems graft and feed into each other are longer term and don't necessarily need to be measured as the breakpoints coalesce into you doing more of the thing you did but buying or training things to make it better.

Trade recently got revamped. There was a system if supply and demand where you take things from Farming/Mining planets to Refining planets, then take those things to industrial planets, then take those things to the population planet, but oh no your goods are illegal so you stash them until you can find a lux pop planet that has law 6 or below in your constellation of factions that don't arrest you on sight.

It is a delicate balance that you can Jenga into thinking only two or three steps ahead.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011

KirbyKhan posted:

I have observed Xenthine levels lowering after having turbine buildings and turbine components. The rate is not apocalyptic, and I never ran out of Xenthine in my starter HQ basement turbine. I get greater returns when I put my turbine into It kinda makes the indoor fuel production rate experience the some deminishing returns if you're just tengraming full floors of turbines. I have not done any tolerance testing as electricity is where I experience the most building bottle necking. Well... That and desire. It is such a cool puzzle to figure out, I just wish I liked it.

The game is extremely addictive and engrossing for me. Unfortunately, they really REALLY need to fix mineral processing. The idea is great but the entire system seems somewhat opaque and it's weird that a L2 processor has 2 outputs but an L1 has 1. I'm aware that they're working on automating the processors and that can't come soon enough. As things stand I have like 10-15 employees just running around with lovely pathfinding trying to move materials from L1 to L2.

Currently the loop goes something like this: employee delivers L1 minerals and leaves the room. Machine outputs L2, -- L2 processor input is literally right beside the output, employee takes L2 mineral and desposits in a nearby storage bin, then leaves the room while some other employee on the other side of the map gets the task to then remove from the bin and put it in the L2 input. There isn't a continuous action of moving it from one spot to another. Instead, there really ought to be a conveyor belt that automatically moves that poo poo around so employees only need to pick up L3 materials and move them where they need to go.

The truck terminal in the building parking garages should pile up a full truckload of waste too. Right now half to almost all of my logistics network is dedicated to waste disposal because employees will load 1 unit of waste onto a truck and drive them back and forth. So the game has a lot of work to do with material movements which greatly bottlenecks progression and ties up excessive amounts of workforce.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Bruh, I know these messages seem like people having strokes at each other, but I want you to know you are understood.

Game bogs down after it scales to building level expansion. I suspect that your issue of logistics throughput could be solved by converting more employees. Which will explode your waste issue, but will eventually be solved by having enough boxes. For waste I do kinda actively swap it around on the work priority list. When it becomes a problem, I put moving waste near top, when it is not a problem the everybody lives in poop. I put waste recepticles in every free square and it will never be enough. You can change the filters for containers to accept waste.

I have kept about 8 tiles of distance or like two security expansion building between my smoke stacks and my nearest population center, I have never been tagged with bad air warnings.

This game is bananas

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Kraftwerk posted:

The game is extremely addictive and engrossing for me. Unfortunately, they really REALLY need to fix mineral processing. The idea is great but the entire system seems somewhat opaque and it's weird that a L2 processor has 2 outputs but an L1 has 1. I'm aware that they're working on automating the processors and that can't come soon enough. As things stand I have like 10-15 employees just running around with lovely pathfinding trying to move materials from L1 to L2.

Currently the loop goes something like this: employee delivers L1 minerals and leaves the room. Machine outputs L2, -- L2 processor input is literally right beside the output, employee takes L2 mineral and desposits in a nearby storage bin, then leaves the room while some other employee on the other side of the map gets the task to then remove from the bin and put it in the L2 input. There isn't a continuous action of moving it from one spot to another. Instead, there really ought to be a conveyor belt that automatically moves that poo poo around so employees only need to pick up L3 materials and move them where they need to go.

The truck terminal in the building parking garages should pile up a full truckload of waste too. Right now half to almost all of my logistics network is dedicated to waste disposal because employees will load 1 unit of waste onto a truck and drive them back and forth. So the game has a lot of work to do with material movements which greatly bottlenecks progression and ties up excessive amounts of workforce.

They need to just remove level 2 minerals and isotopes altogether. There's no reason for level 2 resources to exist. There has never been a point between the start of EA and now where you would ever want to use them to intentionally build anything and the game's logistic system is too rudimentary to handle them like outlined in your post here. The sad part is this is their logistic model after like a year of "improvements" to it :smith: The entire gameplay loop feels hacked together and incoherent, nothing serves an actual purpose. The aesthetics are great but :(
(I don't have much hope for it ever becoming a good game at this point)

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

Darkrenown posted:

Bomber crew has been out for a few years though.

Space Crew is the recent version of this! Maybe the recent one you’re thinking of?

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011

deep dish peat moss posted:

They need to just remove level 2 minerals and isotopes altogether. There's no reason for level 2 resources to exist. There has never been a point between the start of EA and now where you would ever want to use them to intentionally build anything and the game's logistic system is too rudimentary to handle them like outlined in your post here. The sad part is this is their logistic model after like a year of "improvements" to it :smith: The entire gameplay loop feels hacked together and incoherent, nothing serves an actual purpose. The aesthetics are great but :(
(I don't have much hope for it ever becoming a good game at this point)

These seem like easy fixes, but I know nothing about game development.

There's a lot of things that are weird in this game. For example as soon as you can tech up to power generators, fuel turbines, warehouses, residences and offices there's absolutely no reason to ever build a factory again except for mineral reprocessing. It's like halfway through development they decided physically going into a building and putting in devices wasn't the direction they wanted to go in anymore.

The whole thing can be fixed if they just simplify and copy the system in that Big Pharma game. That's basically what they were trying to do with the factory/HQ from the looks of things anyway.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Kraftwerk posted:

These seem like easy fixes, but I know nothing about game development.

There's a lot of things that are weird in this game. For example as soon as you can tech up to power generators, fuel turbines, warehouses, residences and offices there's absolutely no reason to ever build a factory again except for mineral reprocessing. It's like halfway through development they decided physically going into a building and putting in devices wasn't the direction they wanted to go in anymore.

The whole thing can be fixed if they just simplify and copy the system in that Big Pharma game. That's basically what they were trying to do with the factory/HQ from the looks of things anyway.

I kinda like the scaling of starting off with lil doo dad's that generate small number using the copper ripped out the walls around where ever you landed. That moves on to eating a chunk of the bigger buildings and generating your first truck road. Then you finally reach that mine to generate infinite resource so you just kinda let inevitably guide you into stamping the map with inefficient single purpose buildings. Then somewhere in that sequence you over extend your labor force or run into waste issues flooding your storage issues and it all comes crashing down from a pirate attack. You had 30 minutes of warning and you spent zero of those minutes putting a turret around your fuel depot that was supposed to solve your power issues caused by the other 3 turrets.

BROTHERS

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011

KirbyKhan posted:

I kinda like the scaling of starting off with lil doo dad's that generate small number using the copper ripped out the walls around where ever you landed. That moves on to eating a chunk of the bigger buildings and generating your first truck road. Then you finally reach that mine to generate infinite resource so you just kinda let inevitably guide you into stamping the map with inefficient single purpose buildings. Then somewhere in that sequence you over extend your labor force or run into waste issues flooding your storage issues and it all comes crashing down from a pirate attack. You had 30 minutes of warning and you spent zero of those minutes putting a turret around your fuel depot that was supposed to solve your power issues caused by the other 3 turrets.

BROTHERS

Meh the combat is kinda fucky too. They just juiced the HP on all the pirate ships and it feels like everything is a bullet sponge.
The ship design mechanics are also opaque and difficult to understand.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Industries of Titan was a huge disappointment for me at early access launch for various reasons that I find hard to pinpoint or articulate. It’s a huge bummer that reading all of y’all’s posts pang the same areas of my memory that contain my dislikes during my few hours of play at launch.

The aesthetic/art and general vibe seemed cool but it seems like maybe they tried to do a little of everything and mastered nothing with their sprawl of various mechanics/loops.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011

Anime Store Adventure posted:

Industries of Titan was a huge disappointment for me at early access launch for various reasons that I find hard to pinpoint or articulate. It’s a huge bummer that reading all of y’all’s posts pang the same areas of my memory that contain my dislikes during my few hours of play at launch.

The aesthetic/art and general vibe seemed cool but it seems like maybe they tried to do a little of everything and mastered nothing with their sprawl of various mechanics/loops.

The idea is great and the graphics are even nicely polished. But yeah after learning the mechanics and spending 20 or so hours on the game I’m done. I hope the devs can fix it but I don’t have my hopes up.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Whoever mentioned Tropico 6 here, thank you. It's a nice improvement on 5s mechanics and I really like it.

Wipfmetz
Oct 12, 2007

Sitzen ein oder mehrere Wipfe in einer Lore, so kann man sie ueber den Rand der Lore hinausschauen sehen.

Kraftwerk posted:

I hope the devs can fix it but I don’t have my hopes up.
The mechanics are too disjunct for my taste, i.e. the problems and solutions barely interact with eachother, causing everything to feel "flat" if that makes any sense.

And such stuff could very well be an intentional design decision, and not something the devs might recognize as in need of fixing.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

First time I've heard of it but Captain of Industry looks like it has some potential for being a pretty neat game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6T7Mpmd-x9E

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Does Transport Fever 2 have a mod scene and are there any interesting tweaks or scenarios going?

One of my favorite scenarios was where you had a little money and no infrastructure and had to establish a busline and a transport service. I'd love some scenarios with big complex maps where you have start with nothing but a little money and find the best way to break into profits and eventually dominating transport

A lot of the later scenarios have you start with tons of infrastructure, and all of them have you start with inexhaustible money, so I don't know if the basic economic backbone is there to support interesting challenge

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
The TF2 mod scene is overall focused on cool maps and cool models to put on maps.

A lot of the maps try to give a lot of texture via mountains and rivers and seas that mean you need pretty perfect boat route or train route design supplemented by your local bus/tram routes depending on your difficulty which you may be into. I usually play random maps on medium just to watch trains so I can't give you recommendations on which maps do that best, just letting you know they exist and should have feedback describing that in the workshop. I don't think anyone does much to speak of with designed scenarios like the campaign.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Lack of money isn’t really a factor in TF2 once you realize a certain concept which I won’t mention because it really does change the game a lot.

The only mods I remember using regularly were ones that added item demands to cities. Because after a while it got annoying that (as an illustration) your only forestry was in Seattle, your only lumber mill was in St. Louis, and the only people that wanted planks were in San Francisco.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Yeah I had a lot of issues with the way TF2 handled many of the mechanics and that it was more of something where you had to identify a randomly highly profitable route based on random selections (or one clearly set up in a mod map) and then sort of just keep rolling, not to mention that while I'm not a huge train games guy (right now), even W&R has a much more powerful system for pathfinding and things like building 'express' rail and all that with some signalling tricks.

It's certainly not a bad game, but it always felt like it was in a weird space where it wasn't what I wanted for a more creative/aesthetic builder and not the right amount of meaty for a pure transport game. The fact that your pay was more based on distance traveled really hampered it.

e: Added a spoiler because I suspect this is what the previous post was hinting at. I'll just say that the 'trick' is what made the game sort of lame for me.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Reading TF2 as team fortress 2 got very confusing very quickly

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Well now I want a logistics game which is about building your society to the point where you can manufacture the parts for actual Team Fortress characters and have to have the infrastructure in place to deal with whatever respawn frequency your notional Team needs in order to accomplish their mission, scaling up from a Tycoon game’s start to somewhere past Dyson Sphere Program as the challenge level increases

LonsomeSon fucked around with this message at 09:19 on Jul 9, 2021

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I got back into Autonauts last night and man I am back into that game. This time from the start I've been better about setting up chargebots so I almost never have to manually charge anything, and I also notice that they now just have if/than statements and stuff which I don't think was there before? Anyway we'll see how long I last this time, I've taken my time setting up full logging and everything before even starting to mess with research. I'm now starting to make the first bot upgrade which is right around where things usually start to spiral out of control for me so we'll see this time!

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

explosivo posted:

I got back into Autonauts last night and man I am back into that game. This time from the start I've been better about setting up chargebots so I almost never have to manually charge anything, and I also notice that they now just have if/than statements and stuff which I don't think was there before? Anyway we'll see how long I last this time, I've taken my time setting up full logging and everything before even starting to mess with research. I'm now starting to make the first bot upgrade which is right around where things usually start to spiral out of control for me so we'll see this time!

What's the easy way to even make chargebots in that game? Do you just need a second redundant chargebot in each area so they can charge each other? I always bounced off of it because having such limited zones for a robot to act in and the clunky interface for programming them just didn't work for my brain at the time, for some reason "make them watch you do thing" just does not click for me and I would really prefer "tell them how to do thing"

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Anime Store Adventure posted:

It's certainly not a bad game, but it always felt like it was in a weird space where it wasn't what I wanted for a more creative/aesthetic builder and not the right amount of meaty for a pure transport game.

:yossame: TF2 is too easy as a logistics simulator but not quite cool looking or chill enough to work as a sandbox game. I put about 50 hours into it, so I feel like I got my money's worth. But once you identify a single good route on a map you're basically set.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

What's the easy way to even make chargebots in that game? Do you just need a second redundant chargebot in each area so they can charge each other? I always bounced off of it because having such limited zones for a robot to act in and the clunky interface for programming them just didn't work for my brain at the time, for some reason "make them watch you do thing" just does not click for me and I would really prefer "tell them how to do thing"
My recipe to never touch a charge ever after the first few hours:

100% coverage of 2 charge bots set to an area. The brothers keeper covers like 75% of the charging.

One team at first, several as you expand or just reprogram the route of the first team, of a couple charge bots playing follow the leader: 1 bot set to walk around in sequence around your base, 2 bots set to charge everything in a sign area. Throw the sign at the walker and you have a backup to your backups who handily defuse the moments both dedicated charge bots drain at the same time.

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

The summer games done quick stream is about to speedrun factorio.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

zedprime has a probably better solution but when I had to charge a bot manually I put a bot there, set it to search for discharged bots and recharge and looped that forever and called it a day. Once I unlocked the first bot upgrade with upgrade slots I shove the +search range and +max energy upgrades in there to keep them going longer. It's not perfect but when your chargebot zones start to overlap they start taking care of each other too so it works out well enough.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Y'all do all the recharging y'all want, I'm sticking with the mod😀

Don't forget to have bots do the upgrading. You'll end up with a bunch of junk, but they'll deal with that as well.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Mayveena posted:

Don't forget to have bots do the upgrading. You'll end up with a bunch of junk, but they'll deal with that as well.

You mean have bots exclusively there to carry and install upgrades on bots that don't have them? How do you control who gets them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

explosivo posted:

You mean have bots exclusively there to carry and install upgrades on bots that don't have them? How do you control who gets them?

It'll let you determine the area and you just keep moving the area around.