Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish
The limerick format's quite strict
Of phrasing there is no edict
There ain't a crime
Given meter and rhyme
Followed by a fifth line turn to trick

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Is there a recommended part of Alaska to move to, if one were so inclined?

My personal recomendation is anywhere but Anchorage if yo dont need a job.
Otherwise Eagle River, Wasilla, and Homer arent bad.
If you want to live in the woods maybe Seward or like Kenai, aside from that it starts getting intensely rural.
Oh also theres a shitload of racist fuckfaces, just fyi.

Personally, if I moved back I'd probably pick Homer.

Melaneus
Aug 24, 2007

Here to make your dreams and nightmares come true.

JacquelineDempsey posted:

The one I grew up with was:

There once was a gal from Nantucket
Who sailed 'cross the sea in a bucket
But when she got there
They asked for a fare
So she lifted her skirt and said "gently caress it"

I'm partial to this radio-friendly Nantucket limerick:

There once was a man from Nantucket
Who kept all of his cash in a bucket
His woman named Nan
Had run off with a man
And as for the bucket? Nan tuck it.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Can't imagine wanting to live anywhere with less than a million people.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
I seem to remember a TNG episode where Data started a poem with 'There was a young lady from Venus' and got stopped by the others.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

DreadUnknown posted:

My personal recomendation is anywhere but Anchorage if yo dont need a job.
Otherwise Eagle River, Wasilla, and Homer arent bad.
If you want to live in the woods maybe Seward or like Kenai, aside from that it starts getting intensely rural.
Oh also theres a shitload of racist fuckfaces, just fyi.

Personally, if I moved back I'd probably pick Homer.

I gotta be honest, this wasn't a very good limerick.

Offler
Mar 27, 2010
Sorry if this has been posted before, but the thread is very long.

Anyway, this is a fascinating video about a phenomenon in movies/tv that the maker of the video calls "born sexy yesterday". It's where through some contrivance the hero of the story, usually a very average dude, comes into contact with a sexy woman who has had no contact with the regular world. It can be through some sci-fi or fantasy means where the character is quite literally born sexy yesterday or transported from another time or realm. Or the woman can be a female Mowgli who grew up without humans. The end result is always that the very average dude gets to both appear very wise to the woman as he teaches her how to live in the regular world, and he of course gets a romance with a sexy, virginal woman who would be way out of his league if she wasn't so "pure" and naive.

The woman is often written like a child in a grown woman's body with no understanding of how sexuality works, but the "hero" of the story will of course be there to teach her about that as well. It's something that just becomes more and more gross the more you think about it. Even if you're aware of a few movies/tv shows like this, the video becomes fascinating in a gross way when you see just how often some writer has come up with a new contrivance to deliver a sexy, innocent, naive woman to the dude in a story, and how recent a few of the examples are. Oh, and there's of course the section of the video where the author just skips anime entirely since there are apparently so many examples of this trope there that just listing them would fill the rest of the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0thpEyEwi80

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

luc besson is a pedophile

edit: i say that because the thumbnail is fifth element

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

HopperUK posted:

I seem to remember a TNG episode where Data started a poem with 'There was a young lady from Venus' and got stopped by the others.

Is that the one where he learned how to be funny from Joe Piscopo?

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Meticulously Researched
- Peer-reviewed

BioEnchanted posted:

Orphaned punchlines used to be a common thing to let the audience know that a character was supposed to be witty without actually showing them saying something funny. Like the one I saw in basically everything growing up, "so I said to him, 'That's no X, that's my wife'!".

That reminds me of a similar thing, specifically decades ago on The Simpsons when Bart says to Lisa "So I says to Mabel, I says..."

(I guess it would be an orphaned setup because he never gets to the punchline)

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I don't think that was a setup to a joke, just a moment of absurdity of Bart gossiping like a 50s housewife.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Len posted:

He’s French OP

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Len posted:

This isn’t an exaggeration, either, he married a 16 year old. They started dating when he was 31 and she was 15.

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Meticulously Researched
- Peer-reviewed

Detective No. 27 posted:

I don't think that was a setup to a joke, just a moment of absurdity of Bart gossiping like a 50s housewife.

You're probably right. It feels to me like a vaudeville sort of thing, which the early writers were obviously big fans of (see also: Klown, Krusty the).

kupachek
Aug 5, 2015

This man’s brain is trembling in the balance between reason and insanity, and as he stalks on with clenched fist and sword in hand, as though he still saw those murderous Russians gunners.

Ugly In The Morning posted:

This isn’t an exaggeration, either, he married a 16 year old. They started dating when he was 31 and she was 15.

And then you have the pattern with his chosen leading actresses.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Bit late, but I have an uncanny knack for recognizing the Canadian Rocky Mountains. Way more than half of movies with mountain scenery that isn't CGI is filmed here.

Except one hilarious exception. Wolverine: Origins took place in Canada, but they filmed it in New Zealand. We don't have fern trees here. As a major natural history nerd, that was more jarring to me than any familiar mountain they claim is in Wyoming.

Offler
Mar 27, 2010

kupachek posted:

And then you have the pattern with his chosen leading actresses.

Yeah, and the scenario he came up with for The Fifth Element is probably the most outright disturbing out of all the ones we see in the video. I hardly remember the movie at all since I only saw it once when it was new, but from the clips in the video it appears the girl is only minutes old when she disrobes in front of a couple of guys the first time. She still speaks in gogo-gaga babytalk btw, I think I remember her being a very fast learner or something, so presumably this goes away fairly quickly, but still, yikes! Then Bruce Willis tricks her into standing where he knows cold water will rain down on her so that he first gets to leer at her in her wet t-shirt, then gets to appear kind by offering a towel and helping her dry off and get warm. She may or may not have stopped with the baby talk at this point, I can't remember.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Offler posted:

The woman is often written like a child in a grown woman's body with no understanding of how sexuality works, but the "hero" of the story will of course be there to teach her about that as well. It's something that just becomes more and more gross the more you think about it.

A weird reversal of that happened on a horrible show called ‘Goodbye Charlie’. Suzanne Sommers plays a guy who died and is inexplicably reincarnated as a grown rear end woman and predictable hijinks ensue.

I have no idea why this scene is forever seared into my brain, but the ladies man next door starts putting the moves on her and she resists at first because LOL consent in the 80’s. Then she starts getting into it and moans it’s her first time. The guy grabs his coat and runs for the door saying this is a master class and he doesn’t teach beginners.

It was so bad they only filmed one episode and it’s on YouTube around the 13 minute mark.

https://youtu.be/UwDyGl8gwUw

Again, no idea why I still remember a weird scene on a terrible show. Maybe because it made no sense and bucked the trope so much that even an oblivious preteen like me thought “what the gently caress just happened?”

Krispy Wafer has a new favorite as of 02:29 on Jul 9, 2021

Mr.Chill
Aug 29, 2006

Len posted:

Pretty sure he dated her at age 11

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

He also left her when she was pregnant for Mila Jovavich during the shooting of Fifth Element.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Paul W. S. Anderson doesn't seem like such a bad director or husband really, in comparison

Offler
Mar 27, 2010
It's kind of darkly comical that Natalie Portman's parents did step in and demand some changes to Leon: The Proffesional, but not for the reasons you would think. They were fine with her acting in a movie where she befriends and falls in love with a 40-year old hitman that teaches her to kill, directed by a (French) man who was married to a woman half his age. That was all fine and good with the Portmans, but they did make sure that Natalie wasn't shown to inhale any cigarette smoke! Like, the movie still shows her weirdly holding lit cigarettes in several scenes, but she never takes a drag on one of them. It actually kind of works for the character to be someone who wants to be a smoker, either because gently caress you dad or because she wants to appear as an adult. Still, a strange battle for the parents to pick on this movie set to say the least.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

BioEnchanted posted:

Orphaned punchlines used to be a common thing to let the audience know that a character was supposed to be witty without actually showing them saying something funny. Like the one I saw in basically everything growing up, "so I said to him, 'That's no X, that's my wife'!".

Feels like there's some telephone game with them, since originally they're generally meant to imply jokes that were way too filthy for public broadcast. Though usually they're a kind of anti-humour in either being a totally cliché joke with some situation-specific word dropped in, or something so weird that one can only try to imagine what the setup was.

beats for junkies posted:

You're probably right. It feels to me like a vaudeville sort of thing, which the early writers were obviously big fans of (see also: Klown, Krusty the).

Part of why early Simpsons is such an impossible to replicate classic is how easily they'd flow between references and character moments with total non sequiturs.

Offler
Mar 27, 2010
Other than that I'd say that Leon has probably aged really well.

Audiences in 1994: Did he have to kill all those SWAT cops at the end? Sure, the drug cops were all murderers, but the SWAT guys were just doing their jobs.
Audiences today: NYPD SWAT cops in the '90s you say? If one of them haven't murdered someone yet I'd be shocked. Either way, they have all helped cover up dozens murders. Have at them Leon!

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

beats for junkies posted:

Lily Tomlin as Ernestine the Telephone Operator.

(warning - painfully unfunny)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0l9fE2RAj8&t=32s

The setup is a woman operating one of those huge old switchboards where they plug everything in. The whole routine would be to have some inane conversation or tell some ridiculous anecdote while being constantly interrupted by incoming calls. So you'd have her saying "So I says to Mabel, I says..." over and over as she slowing progressed through her story, restarting constantly.

But it could also just be a generic comedy thing, playing a young Bart making a comment like an old woman from a previous era.

Megillah Gorilla has a new favorite as of 04:39 on Jul 9, 2021

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The United States posted:

Paul W. S. Anderson doesn't seem like such a bad director or husband really, in comparison

The stuntwoman who lost an arm and was partially paralyzed due to gross negligence on the set of a movie he directed probably doesn't think much of him.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

Offler posted:

Anyway, this is a fascinating video about a phenomenon in movies/tv that the maker of the video calls "born sexy yesterday". It's where through some contrivance the hero of the story, usually a very average dude, comes into contact with a sexy woman who has had no contact with the regular world. It can be through some sci-fi or fantasy means where the character is quite literally born sexy yesterday or transported from another time or realm. Or the woman can be a female Mowgli who grew up without humans. The end result is always that the very average dude gets to both appear very wise to the woman as he teaches her how to live in the regular world, and he of course gets a romance with a sexy, virginal woman who would be way out of his league if she wasn't so "pure" and naive.

The woman is often written like a child in a grown woman's body with no understanding of how sexuality works, but the "hero" of the story will of course be there to teach her about that as well. It's something that just becomes more and more gross the more you think about it. Even if you're aware of a few movies/tv shows like this, the video becomes fascinating in a gross way when you see just how often some writer has come up with a new contrivance to deliver a sexy, innocent, naive woman to the dude in a story, and how recent a few of the examples are. Oh, and there's of course the section of the video where the author just skips anime entirely since there are apparently so many examples of this trope there that just listing them would fill the rest of the video.

This video is really good.

The video itself goes on and compares the Born Sexy Yesterday fantasy/sci-fi stereotypes with the older colonial "white man meets native girl" and it's so spot on. 100 years ago these alien/not from this world girls would have been coming from the Darkest Africa or some other colonial mythical land and the story would have kept the same beats and the same hosed up power dynamics.

Edit: although I don't think Leeloo talks in baby talk ever - she is speaking the language of her creators when she is saying gibberish. She definitely speaks like a child/native girl when she speaks English, though.

That Italian Guy has a new favorite as of 08:50 on Jul 9, 2021

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Offler posted:

This is my favorite trope (to make fun of for being gross)

It was something I really disliked about that Alita Battle Angel movie.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Offler posted:

Yeah, and the scenario he came up with for The Fifth Element is probably the most outright disturbing out of all the ones we see in the video. I hardly remember the movie at all since I only saw it once when it was new, but from the clips in the video it appears the girl is only minutes old when she disrobes in front of a couple of guys the first time. She still speaks in gogo-gaga babytalk btw, I think I remember her being a very fast learner or something, so presumably this goes away fairly quickly, but still, yikes! Then Bruce Willis tricks her into standing where he knows cold water will rain down on her so that he first gets to leer at her in her wet t-shirt, then gets to appear kind by offering a towel and helping her dry off and get warm. She may or may not have stopped with the baby talk at this point, I can't remember.

The film also have Willis trying to kiss her when she sleeps. To which she responds with putting a gun to his head and saying "never without my permission." So the Fifth Element is a land of contrasts.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
There's a bit in Stranger Things season one like that. Episode 2 maybe. Dustin, Lucas and Mike give a soaked Eleven some dry clothes and she starts to change in front of them. Instead of gawking, the 3 tweenage boys freak out and avert their eyes and tell her to change in the bathroom.

Lots of inverted tropes in the show.

deoju has a new favorite as of 09:30 on Jul 9, 2021

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
They probably did that to explicitly subvert comparisons to Steven King’s ‘It’.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
It's what made me nope out of Elfen Lied one episode in.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Ambitious Spider posted:

It's what made me nope out of Elfen Lied one episode in.

There's a lot of reasons to nope out of that show in episode one, I don't know how I ever got through the show

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

BioEnchanted posted:

Weirdly enough, I just listened to a podcast which gave the origin of that joke (it originally being 'Hey, Joe, who was that lady I saw you with last night? That was no lady, that was my wife!') as well as the origin of 'Why did the chicken cross the road?' It was from minstrel shows.

Offler
Mar 27, 2010

Alhazred posted:

The film also have Willis trying to kiss her when she sleeps. To which she responds with putting a gun to his head and saying "never without my permission." So the Fifth Element is a land of contrasts.

This makes Willis' character more of a creep, not less.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Offler posted:

This makes Willis' character more of a creep, not less.

I don't think it was a defense of Willis, it was more a statement on Jovovich's character.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Yeah Willis character isn’t supposed to be a good guy at the beginning.

He doesn’t really change for any real reason but it’s an action movie

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

the_steve posted:

I don't think it was a defense of Willis, it was more a statement on Jovovich's character.

Yeah.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
An unrelated Bruce Willis thing from a less 'shady in retrospect' movie: I remember an explanation I once saw that explained that Willis was the only actor who could've played his role in The Sixth Sense at the time.

Not because of any inherent qualities to his acting, but because in the hands of anyone else, people would've seen the fact his wife never talks to him as a big sign that something's off. But at the time Willis was basically typecast into 'man with relationship/marital troubles' roles, so the apparently frosty reception made immediate sense to people as 'oh, it's Bruce Willis, of course his marriage is on the rocks'.

Cleretic has a new favorite as of 14:53 on Jul 9, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Does anyone today actually look forward to a Bruce Willis movie? Since Sin City 2 in 2014 the dude has made like 30 films and 97% are direct to video