Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Has anyone used one of these to communicate with a monitor. I can send commands over it, but can never receive anything. 300+ LG and Samsung panels. It's a 3-pin basic TX, RX, and Ground connection. So odd.

It'll be odd if the TX/RX are swapped but it still accepts the TX line. Going to try a null-modem/crossover adapter.

Pinout:

MrMoo fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Jul 9, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

We were just talking about the lack of good HDR on desktop monitors, and, well...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mwj0GbbQZqU

Who wants to pay $3000 for an IPS that gets kinda sorta close to OLED HDR quality but with mediocre motion clarity?

Man, I don't know. I wasn't ever gonna spend anywhere close to $3000 on a monitor, but it's still kind of a bummer to see that this is where "cutting edge" desktop monitors are at these days. The HDR really does look quite good, but why does that have to come with such strong drawbacks at such a high price point? I'm considering getting an LG OLED to put next to my desk. I'm gonna refurnish my home office soon anyway, and I should be able to fit in a TV that I can game an acceptable distance from. Hopefully that will scratch the 4k HDR pc gaming itch without having to put a giant TV on my desk.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
IMO, at $3000 the monitor would have produce better picture than real life, in 3d, without 3d glasses. yes i know that's impossible, but if i'm paying that much i better get that lol

Paranoid Peanut
Nov 13, 2009

hello friends.. thoughts on this thing?

Acer Predator XB323UGP for the lazy.

uwaeve
Oct 21, 2010

focus this time so i don't have to keep telling you idiots what happened
Lipstick Apathy
Monitor related question:

I know the Amazon monitor arms have been recommended here. Do those, or will others, allow me to swing a pair of monitors easily to both sides of a desk? Don’t mind drilling if for instance I need to get the mount at the center of the short sides to do this. Is this something where you get what you on for as far as ease of use and a lot of cycles? Like going back and forth daily?

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Is it possible to convert Thunderbolt 4 to HDMI 2.1? I know both the Xe graphics and RTX 30 series featured in almost all TB4 laptops natively support 2.1 but I don't know if it can be done through TB.

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

So I just finished up a new build and am working to reintegrate it with the whole AV setup my old PC was driving, basically 2 monitors (DisplayPort) + 1 TV (HDMI). While the TV connection moved over great, I'm suddenly running into a new issue where Windows 10 stops recognizing my monitors as soon as I power them off. Basically everything gets shifted to the next active display, whereas before Windows maintained the screen layout when a monitor powered off.

The two monitors were previously using HDMI/DVI but I moved them over to DP, mainly because 3 of the 4 ports on my card are DP and I need the HDMI for AV. Looking at Google for a bit it seems like this may be a common issue with DP, but there didn't seem to be an obvious resolution. I can't imagine a multiple-monitor use case is that uncommon, am I missing an obvious fix?

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Don't shut them off. Even then, if they deep sleep rather than normal sleeping then they act the same as if they're disconnected, so if you can't disable that there is no fix.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Some monitors will have a setting, usually in Power or Input, to change from Low Power/Power Saving/etc. to Always On.

If they don't there is no fix until sometime this fall with an upcoming Windows update.

Zosologist
Mar 30, 2007
I've got terrible eye sight so need to sit reletively close so my 24" 1080p has got to go.

Thoughts on this?

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/lg-32-ultragear-qhd-nano-ips-1ms-165hz-hdr-monitor-withg-sync-compatibility-black/6451080.p?skuId=6451080

It's around the top of my budget but it ticks almost all of my boxes, I would like it curved and cheaper but I don't see anything else like that.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Everyone has different needs, but for my standards I'd just like to point out that a 27" monitor is already pretty loving big.

As someone with deteriorating eye sight, sitting too close to my 27" 1440p monitor can be overwhelming. It's taken me a while to adjust from a 24".

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Jul 12, 2021

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Rinkles posted:

Everyone has different needs, but for my standards I'd just like to point out that a 27" monitor is already pretty loving big.

As someone with deteriorating eye sight, sitting too close to my 27" 1440p monitor can be overwhelming. It's taken me a while to adjust from a 24".

24" 1080P is 92 DPI, while 27" 1440p is 109 DPI. Definitely gonna want to go to 32" if you think the 24" 1080p is at the edge of what you can see as the 32" 1440p is basically the same DPI as the 24" 1080p

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

You could use a 27" with higher Windows scaling.

All I'm saying is that I think working with a 32" monitor for extended periods would be unpleasant for me.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
I have used a 34" for several years now, it's fine, just move it back enough so you're comfortable.

Zosologist
Mar 30, 2007

Shipon posted:

24" 1080P is 92 DPI, while 27" 1440p is 109 DPI. Definitely gonna want to go to 32" if you think the 24" 1080p is at the edge of what you can see as the 32" 1440p is basically the same DPI as the 24" 1080p

Rinkles posted:

I probably should have been more descriptive. I find myself naturally adjusting my chair and monitor arm so that I'm sitting 10"-16" from my 24" 1080p display, and from here the screen door effect is obnoxious, and the ips, ghosting? lightbleed? whatever in the corners is very distracting. My hope is that a bigger monitor will force me to sit back a bit and a higher quality ips will have less of this ugly rear end light smear in the corners of the screen (would a curvy display help with that?).

I jogged over to Best Buy to have a look at the drat thing but while it was in stock it wasn't on display. I'd love to be convinced that 27 is fine, I guess I defaulted to bigger is better

Zosologist fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Jul 12, 2021

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Zosologist posted:

I probably should have been more clear. I find myself naturally adjusting my chair and monitor arm so that I'm sitting 10"-16" from my 24" 1080p display, and from here the screen door effect is obnoxious, and the ips, ghosting? lightbleed? whatever in the corners is very distracting. My hope is that a bigger monitor will force me to sit back a bit and a higher quality ips will have less of this ugly rear end light smear in the corners of the screen (would a curvy display help with that?).

I jogged over to Best Buy to have a look at the drat thing but while it was in stock it wasn't on display. I'd love to be convinced that 27 is fine, I guess I defaulted to bigger is better

I don't want to give you the wrong advice. I think you'll have to try one out to figure out what'll work best.

That said, when I first got a 27" monitor, I did for a while use 125% scaling, and it felt fairly similar to a 24" 1080p monitor that I could sit further away from, with better definition and a bit more screen real estate. I've since moved back to 100%, because it's so much more roomy, but it does tire my eyes sometimes.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Zosologist posted:

I probably should have been more descriptive. I find myself naturally adjusting my chair and monitor arm so that I'm sitting 10"-16" from my 24" 1080p display, and from here the screen door effect is obnoxious, and the ips, ghosting? lightbleed? whatever in the corners is very distracting. My hope is that a bigger monitor will force me to sit back a bit and a higher quality ips will have less of this ugly rear end light smear in the corners of the screen (would a curvy display help with that?).

I am not a doctor, but that sounds like nearsightedness. Do you wear glasses or contacts, and if so is the prescription up to date? If I'm not wearing my contacts or glasses I could see myself doing exactly what you describe.

Zosologist
Mar 30, 2007

Rinkles posted:

I don't want to give you the wrong advice. I think you'll have to try one out to figure out what'll work best.

That said, when I first got a 27" monitor, I did for a while use 125% scaling, and it felt fairly similar to a 24" 1080p monitor that I could sit further away from, with better definition and a bit more screen real estate. I've since moved back to 100%, because it's so much more roomy, but it does tire my eyes sometimes.
I beginning to suspecting that I'm chasing distinctions in the size category that aren't going to matter to me in the long run. Perhaps I should just get the 27" to save some cash, but that one I posted is only like $50 more than the equivalent 27" as best I can tell.

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I am not a doctor, but that sounds like nearsightedness. Do you wear glasses or contacts, and if so is the prescription up to date? If I'm not wearing my contacts or glasses I could see myself doing exactly what you describe.

This is correct, unfortunately even with a fresh prescription the best I can expect is about 20/40 on a good day.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Zosologist posted:

I beginning to suspecting that I'm chasing distinctions in the size category that aren't going to matter to me in the long run. Perhaps I should just get the 27" to save some cash, but that one I posted is only like $50 more than the equivalent 27" as best I can tell.

This is correct, unfortunately even with a fresh prescription the best I can expect is about 20/40 on a good day.

Okay, that makes sense. If you have a chance to check out displays it might be helpful, but bigger might well be better for you. 27" at 1080p or 32" at 1440p seem like size/resolution ratios that might help balance things out for you.

Edit: I think 27" at 1080p are going to be the cheapest option, at sizes beyond that I'm not really familiar and I know there are fewer of them.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Zosologist posted:

Well, a 32" 1440p is going to have an identical dpi to 24" 1080p but over a wider area, so the default settings are gonna have you sitting just as close with the same screen door effect. That said, at that resolution and size, you could get away with pushing the monitor further back and turning on windows' scaling feature. Push the monitor back another ten inches and turn on 150% scaling or something, and it should feel about the same, but with less screen-door effect and less harsh on the eyes? Windows' scaling is pretty decent, though some programs don't handle it very well.

That particular monitor you linked is LG's latest version of their 32" Ultragear line and by all accounts is a perfectly fine monitor. The 27" version of this monitor is a thread favorite.

Zosologist
Mar 30, 2007
If one of my main complaints about my ips panel is the weird glow is va a reasonable alternative if I’m mostly just consuming movies and single player games on my pc?

I’ve heard over and over that ips is better, but I really dislike the off axis viewing effect.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Zosologist posted:

If one of my main complaints about my ips panel is the weird glow is va a reasonable alternative if I’m mostly just consuming movies and single player games on my pc?

I’ve heard over and over that ips is better, but I really dislike the off axis viewing effect.

I felt a little crazy when I got an IPS, because almost no one seemed to notice or mind the glow. Like that "thread favorite", people will recommend them without reservation. They might be the best compromise of the available technologies, but I see them as having a significant drawback nonetheless. Don't get me wrong, they're fantastic for work and browsing, and a lot of video content and games as well, but they're not imo well suited for anything darker.

(I should add my typical caveat, that my sample size of IPS monitors is fairly small)

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Monitor technology is nothing but a series of compromises. No matter what kind of panel you go with, you're going to end up with something that you wish was better in some areas. If they can drive down the cost of mini-LED backlights, that could be an exciting advancement given its HDR capabilities and potentially better backlight uniformity than normal IPS monitors. Too bad 32 inch mini-LEDs are still $3000+ (see the review I posted a few days ago).

OLED would be almost perfect for computer monitors if it were not for the burn-in issue. It's a non-issue now for general TV and gaming use, but it still makes me worried about the long-term durability for heavy computer use. For example, how long will an OLED last for being run for 10+ hours a day with static interface elements on the screen for most of that duration? If it can't last for at least 5 years under those conditions, I won't even consider it.

So it's basically a race between mini-LEDs becoming cheap enough for midrange consumer monitors and OLEDs getting higher durability pixels that can stand up to long-term everyday use. My money's on mini-LED, though that may still take several years to become affordable.

Are there any other relevant display techs on the horizon?

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005
Basically it's real unfortunate that Surface-Emission Displays never became a thing

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Shipon posted:

Basically it's real unfortunate that Surface-Emission Displays never became a thing

drat, I'm reading about them, and now I'm sad too. It seems like a perfectly viable and appealing technology killed by stupid business bullshit.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Patents have no value in the modern world and only harm inventors, innovators, and most of all consumers. The loving worst. Still, IDK if SEDs would have ever become a mainstream technology because most people are apes and don't mind the downsides of LCDs.

Zosologist posted:

TN and VA are both far worse viewed from off angles. There is no good option, LCDs are inherently trash and cannot be good. IPS is simply as good as it gets. VA has better ideal contrast and will glow less if it's curved and your head is in the specific spot the curve is focused, but the reality is that if you're watching a movie and you lean back or to the side, the picture is going to contrast shift far worse than IPS. If you don't move around much and don't mind paying a high premium, a 27" or 32" Odyssey G7 may be the ideal display for you. Even on that super-curved monitor, the focal point is still 39" away, though. And your brain is really not used to looking at flat images on a curved surface, it will definitely mindfuck you for a while until you adjust. In general, you may want to choose a non-LG panel to minimize the glow you have to deal with, and you definitely should turn down the brightness as much as you can, but there is no LCD display that will ever look actually good under scrutiny.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
If you want to improve the viewing experience with an IPS screen (or all LCD types really) keep the room well lit. Never use an IPS in a dark room, it will make all the flaws stand out the most. Use an accent light behind the screen if you have to. It should be bright enough in the room to read a book or magazine comfortably and easily for an extended period of time. It doesn't fix the problems with LCD technology, but it hides the majority of it so you can't see it as easily anymore.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Yeah I totally agree about bias lighting. It's very beneficial. Even just throwing a cheap brightness controllable LED strip on the back of your monitor will make quite a difference.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Are there any other relevant display techs on the horizon?

In theory, microLED, but who knows if/when manufacturing costs will come down enough to be viable for consumer applications.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
is microled vs oled just the burnin thing or do they get other goodies?

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Ordinary LEDs are much more durable than OLEDs. To me, the most exciting potential advantage for LEDs is that because they can be run brighter without burning out quickly and respond in nanoseconds if driven properly, it would be possible to create a display where the pixels are only on for microseconds, letting us get back to CRT-level motion clarity. You could do this with an OLED, but you'd either need to give up a ton of brightness or have it burn out very quickly.

The major downside to microLED is that it's hard to scale down. You can buy a microled TV from Samsung - as long as you want to pay tens of thousands of dollars and have it be literally wall-sized. Not very micro. This is the big hangup and the reason I don't expect microLED to go anywhere soon, especially in the PC display space which is much higher DPI than TVs. In reality the best we can realistically hope for is continued development of 40"+ OLED TVs and hopefully some good strobing for LCDs, which along with continued improvements in response time could make them pretty good outside of contrast.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I don't like that this time Micro is apparently smaller than Nano.

Pick an order, technology companies!

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

drat, I'm reading about them, and now I'm sad too. It seems like a perfectly viable and appealing technology killed by stupid business bullshit.

to be fair it sounds like a nightmare to manufacture which is probably why it was canned. Hopefully microLED doesn't end up the same way

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

K8.0 posted:

Patents have no value in the modern world and only harm inventors, innovators, and most of all consumers. The loving worst.
lol sure pal

Oysters Autobio
Mar 13, 2017
Hey all got both a monitor buying question but also sort of an advice question if this is even a good idea.

I've been thinking of getting a second monitor for my gaming PC, and at first I figured I'd just get the same thing as I have now. But, after some thought Im starting to think thats sort of silly because I don't think I'll ever be actually gaming using BOTH monitors and mostly want the second monitor to have reference stuff like maps, google etc. Mostly playing FPS here, and if I was to use it for gaming itd be for like, a lower graphics intensive thing like an RTS or whatever.

So that got me thinking that would it be worth getting a second monitor thats maybe not as great on the quality front, good enough still for crisp web browsing but is a touch screen so I can easily manipulate maps and stuff while playing? That way I dont have to alt-tab or anything. For reference, my current monitor is an Asus 1980x1080 / 60hz 27in monitor (sorry dont remember the model unless someone can point out an easy way to look that up on my PC, systeminfo doesnt show the name)

So my question is (1) is this a good idea in the first place or are touch screen PC monitors just really bad right now (note that Im currently using a 10inch fire HD tablet as my baseline for touchscreen, so if its "bad" but firehd "bad" then consider thats probably not too bad for my use). Like I wouldn't want a touchscreen monitor if its like, my car's touch screen quality or a grocery story self checkout touch screen quality. and (2) would this be a super expensive endeavor to find an okay touch screen PC monitor for such a use-case? Should I just maybe splurge on a better/bigger tablet and get a mount for that instead?

Oysters Autobio fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Jul 16, 2021

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

All I have is a little bit of anecdotal evidence, but my wife has a touch screen laptop that works surprising well. I thought it was going to be kind of gimmicky but was surprised how well it works and I ended up using it more than I expected.

I think I was expecting grocery store touch screen and it was much closer to a tablet. (Not quite as good as good as the screen wasn't glass but still)

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I have a 2 in 1 laptop (you can fold it backwards so it resembles a heavy tablet) with a touchscreen, and yeah it feels decent to use, but I barely do because I don’t like leaving smudges and Windows 10 isn’t a great tablet experience.

I did notice recently that Chrome can distinguish taps from clicks, because when you double tap the side of a YouTube video it’ll jump forwards or backwards like it would on the mobile YouTube app, but if you double click in the same spots, it’ll toggle full screen.

Don’t know about touch monitor pricing.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

This thread would know more than I would about the ingrained differences in displays -- specifically the displays themselves, not really any of the "features" that come packed in with monitors and TVs, tablets etc.

So, I'm looking to repurpose an old 9.7" screen to build a CRT-like mod... thing. It's this specifically: https://laserbear.net/shop/ols/products/97-lcd-shell/v/9.7LCDC-CRT-BLC

The reason this thing exists is because *another* thing I'm into, the MiSTer project, has the ability to support the exact resolution old iPads would be at, 2048x1536.

My question is if there's any difference between buying some seemingly unnamed 9.7" screen, IPS, at 2048x1536 versus some official scavenged screen from an actual iPad. I'm asking mostly because of a small section of video in a RetroRGB video where he does the installation with the Laserbear guy himself here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9D_q5HQQE90&t=225s

Should be timestamped, but if not, around the 3 minute and 45 second mark. He says "Samsung screens are more coveted, but the LG screens are just about the same." I'm almost certain he means the supplier of the iPad screen, Samsung or LG based off this article on CNET.

That being said, what makes the Samsung one "more coveted" than the LG one? I realize they probably are unnoticeably the same, but I'm super curious what would or could make one better if they're devised to have the exact same capabilities. And what could be the difference be between Samsung, LG, and the aforementioned seemingly unnamed 9.7" screen?

Oysters Autobio
Mar 13, 2017

Rakeris posted:

All I have is a little bit of anecdotal evidence, but my wife has a touch screen laptop that works surprising well. I thought it was going to be kind of gimmicky but was surprised how well it works and I ended up using it more than I expected.

I think I was expecting grocery store touch screen and it was much closer to a tablet. (Not quite as good as good as the screen wasn't glass but still)

See though, this is my concern is that all the decent touch screen tech is with phones, laptops and tablets since I can't imagine the market for touchscreen monitors outside of industrial/commercial, or like really high end graphics/arts stuff being all that good.

Prefer not to shell out a whole separate laptop or tablet for a gloried map screen but I could use a new tablet or laptop if all else fails.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

I honestly don't see any sense to this concept. In what world is it ever going to be faster to take your hand off your mouse and touch your screen than to press alt-tab? Any game that is a pain in the rear end to alt-tab is almost certainly going to not behave well when you start touching your second screen, so I see no benefits there. Also, your current monitor sucks. If you're mostly playing FPS, the thing that will benefit you the most is getting off 60hz.