Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

Lets be honest, the only way to settle this is with a Worst Thread photo competition, phones vs dslrs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

One of the guys at work here does karting locally. I made a bin tyres joke and he was 100% on board. "Yeah the serious guys ditch them after one session. They have like 50 laps of life left in them"

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

NtotheTC posted:

Lets be honest, the only way to settle this is with a Worst Thread photo competition, phones vs dslrs

I'm game

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

net work error posted:

Phones are decent cameras

loving hell, worst thread strikes again

Griefor
Jun 11, 2009

ilmucche posted:

One of the guys at work here does karting locally. I made a bin tyres joke and he was 100% on board. "Yeah the serious guys ditch them after one session. They have like 50 laps of life left in them"

Is there a market for these ditched tires?

For sale: kart tires; only used one session

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Griefor posted:

Is there a market for these ditched tires?

For sale: kart tires; only used one session
Back when Italian Quid was a frugal man of practical means, he would gladly take these and use them.
The second part wasn't a requirement.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Alright.

Show us the best picture of a bird you have taken with your iPhone.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
so when you people see someone taking a picture with a phone do you just slap it out of their hand and berate them for not buying a super duper camera or we

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

ideally the cars go so fast that they can't be photographed at all

Griefor
Jun 11, 2009

Mao Zedong Thot posted:

ideally the cars go so fast that they can't be photographed at all

What if it is a photo finish?

The Big Jesus
Oct 29, 2007

#essereFerrari
Which camera leaves a watermark on each picture you take? Pick that one.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

NtotheTC posted:

Would be nice if all the expert photogs in this thread shared some of their pics. Enough with the specs. Show me results.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

NtotheTC posted:

Should we make this official? I'd suggest The Dorkroom's monthly contest rules - one submission per poster, able to change your submission by the deadline, and all submitters get to submit a vote? Either we do this before Silverstone or have something to do during the summer break.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

lol if you shoot photos on anything other than a large format camera with an 8x10 plate

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

I'm headed to a dark sky area for a telescope nerd party early next month if you want me to do a comparison of the pixel 5 astrophotography mode vs my canon DSLR using my telescope as a lens

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
I've run bin tires before, if it's got tread then a tire is a tire

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I do have arty pictures pictures of exotic animals and whatnot but I knows what people want

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
IM SO BAD AT ACTUALLY TALKING ABOUT F1 IN ANY MEANINGFUL WAY SOME DUDE WITH TOO MUCH FREE MONEY WILL KEEP CHANGING IT UNTIL I SHUT THE FUCK UP OR ACTUALLY POST SOMETHING THAT ISNT SPEWING HATE/SLURS/TELLING PEOPLE TO KILL THEMSELVES

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

I've run bin tires before, if it's got tread then a tire is a tire

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

learnincurve posted:

Alright.

I don't have an iPhone, it doesn't have as good a camera as my Samsung Galaxy S20+

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

learnincurve posted:

Alright.

I’m trying to post birb pics from my phone through the SA app and it ain’t lett in’ me ☹️

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
IM SO BAD AT ACTUALLY TALKING ABOUT F1 IN ANY MEANINGFUL WAY SOME DUDE WITH TOO MUCH FREE MONEY WILL KEEP CHANGING IT UNTIL I SHUT THE FUCK UP OR ACTUALLY POST SOMETHING THAT ISNT SPEWING HATE/SLURS/TELLING PEOPLE TO KILL THEMSELVES

ilmucche posted:

Nobody believed me 🤷🏼‍♂️

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

https://www.newscientist.com/article/2283348-lubricant-found-in-a-beetles-leg-is-more-slippery-than-teflon/

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

👀

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll
^ can't wait for those beetle leg juice coated pans OP! might never use PAM again if i have that in my cooking arsenal

GramCracker posted:

I’m trying to post birb pics from my phone through the SA app and it ain’t lett in’ me ☹️

@LC
here's a "zoom" using my iphone to show how poo poo phone zoom is

here's a non zoom pic of another birb

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

Yeah nothing makes me less enthused for a bird photo than some lovely digital zoom from a 3-5 year old smart phone of a bird 100ft+ away

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
I like the bird photos, what phone do you use?

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Burbs.

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

:coolbird:

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

I've taken pictures with both my phone AND with a point and shoot and they both came out terrible. Probably the cameras fault though.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

a real alpha just remembers what they see.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

net work error posted:

I've taken pictures with both my phone AND with a point and shoot and they both came out terrible. Probably the cameras fault though.

Yes if it’s any consolation. Point an shoot have a teeny tiny sensor so unless it’s a big wide picture of a city/car park/landscape or your friends in a big happy group printed off at photograph/web size it’s not going to be great.

For sports and karting the smallest (and oddly enough cheapest) set up you can get away with is a Olympus/Panasonic M4/3 with a 100-300 or 100-400 on it. In this instance spend the money on the lens before the camera.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

BWV posted:

a real alpha just remembers what they see.

This is my default. If it's important enough I'll remember it.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

FAUXTON posted:

I'm headed to a dark sky area for a telescope nerd party early next month if you want me to do a comparison of the pixel 5 astrophotography mode vs my canon DSLR using my telescope as a lens

You do realize that this is a "take the red pill/blue pill" situation, yeah?

Chances are spending a lot of future deep sky nights listening to the noise of the filter wheel slowly changing from LRGB to the first H-line filter in front of your 10k CCD camera, while trying to stay awake and watching the guiding graph, questioning why you bought the cheaper dew heater and cheaped out on the better guiding scope and why you thought the polar alignment was "good enough" for the season. And while you try to decide if you are either freezing to death first or falling asleep before you have to turn the telescope around to catch at least couple of minutes of sleep while mumbling "I'll master PixInsight one day", and sorting your dark frame library by year/wear of ccd-sensor and smell of the flowers in the morning.

Astrophotography is a very zen experience

e: off-axis guiding rules

tuo fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Jul 9, 2021

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
I can get like a $5 endoscope for my phone off ebay and check my colon for polyps, can you're stupidly heavy old fashioned DSLRs do that? :smuggo:

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Phone good enough, so what

Clarence
May 3, 2012

Theophany posted:

I can get like a $5 endoscope for my phone off ebay and check my colon for polyps, can you're stupidly heavy old fashioned DSLRs do that? :smuggo:

Depends - is your name Kirk?

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Theophany posted:

You should go see a doctor if that's inside your colon

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll
Went hiking in Glacier National Park a few weeks ago - place is loving gorgeous. My friend shot this with his A7r 3, no phone is doing anything close to this. Click for gigantic hd version

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
Maybe I don't need the Leica my iPhone 11 Pro seems pretty good 🤔

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

Theophany posted:

i'm the dent in the wall