Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

https://twitter.com/dawnofthediscs/status/1413469020985073665?s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
:negative:

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Anybody have the Scott Pilgrim UHD that came out this week? The old blu us pretty feature packed as is but I'd imagine this movie would make excellent use of an Atmos track and I'm wondering if the visuals are also worth an upgrade (appears to be an upscale).

Cacator fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Jul 9, 2021

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Shaw Bros up now:

Diabolik: https://www.diabolikdvd.com/product/shawscope-volume-one-arrow-us-limited-edition-blu-ray/

Arrow: https://arrowfilms.com/product-detail/shawscope-volume-one-limited-edition-blu-ray/FCD2076

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
The Shaw Bros set is Region B btw, in case anyone didn't notice that.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

I think it's just Region B from Arrow/AMZ UK, but there is a US version from Diabolik or Zavvi US, and probably eventually Amazon US.

And there's Part 2 is coming in 2022 :negative:

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

The Diabolik page says (Arrow US) in the title so that one should be either A or region free I'm pretty sure.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Yup, Arrow confirmed it’s Region A and B. I hope more martial arts films get picked up. The lack of a region free player is the only think stopping me from buying all those amazing sets from 88 Films.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Is there any good physical version out there of Hard Boiled? Kinda crazy there's not a lot of John Woo stuff. Maybe Criterion would do a set.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Tim Whatley posted:

Is there any good physical version out there of Hard Boiled? Kinda crazy there's not a lot of John Woo stuff. Maybe Criterion would do a set.

I haven't bought them yet but other folks have vouched for the quality of the Hong Kong Rescue Blu Ray bootleg: https://www.hongkongrescue.com/

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Tim Whatley posted:

There’s an old Dragon Dynasty Blu available. Don’t know if the US rights to a lot of those films are still tangled with the fallout of Weinstein. I think some of the titles in the Arrow box had a Dragon Dynasty release, so some of them must have been freed up. Hopefully we’ll get more soon.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

That Shaw Bros set holy gently caress

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

FancyMike posted:

Have you watched them both?

I have.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Lumbermouth posted:

I haven't bought them yet but other folks have vouched for the quality of the Hong Kong Rescue Blu Ray bootleg: https://www.hongkongrescue.com/

Oh word. That's awesome, thanks.

And yeah I preordered via Diabolik for Shaw Bros so very fast.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Where’s my 4K Inframan???

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

Very nice, I am for real impressed.

I preordered the Shaw Bros set. First impression was I don't really like that size and shape of box, but I've come around a little on having the big Shaw Bros logo displayed I think it'll be alright.

melvinthemopboy3
Sep 29, 2008

TheScott2K posted:

Star Trek V is not a good movie, but IMO there's a weird amount of good stuff in there. People joke on it being the one Shatner directed, but other than the self indulgent rock climbing poo poo he did a pretty good job. A lot of scenes look great in a way the II/III/IV trilogy never did, the script was definitely salvageable, and it was the first of these movies where the intact, TV-status-quo Enterprise Crew Does A Star Trek.

Some bad circumstances and decisions hosed it up. Into Darkness and Nemesis, both way worse.

The "Row, Row, Row Your Boat" stuff is fantastic.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

MacheteZombie posted:

I bought shout and arrows the thing releases because the coloring is slightly different.

Also the aspect ratio was subtly different between the two..

Any idea what it will be on the UHD?

Also where is a good place to pre-order it from that is not Amazon?

PeterCat fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Jul 9, 2021

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

PeterCat posted:

Also the aspect ratio was subtly different between the two..

Any idea what it will be on the UHD?

Also where is a good place to pre-order it from that is not Amazon?

Looking at screenshots, it looks like the Universal bluray had some very minor cropping at the bottom, where Shout and Arrow have the same image outside of color grading. But I don't think anybody would really notice the difference.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken

TheScott2K posted:

Star Trek V is not a good movie, but IMO there's a weird amount of good stuff in there. People joke on it being the one Shatner directed, but other than the self indulgent rock climbing poo poo he did a pretty good job. A lot of scenes look great in a way the II/III/IV trilogy never did, the script was definitely salvageable, and it was the first of these movies where the intact, TV-status-quo Enterprise Crew Does A Star Trek.

Some bad circumstances and decisions hosed it up. Into Darkness and Nemesis, both way worse.

On the other hand, it's Shatner's unchecked ego, and easily the weakest of the TOS crew movies.

And Into Darkness is way better than Final Frontier, or Nemesis.

Well, RIP my bank account.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

edogawa rando posted:

On the other hand, it's Shatner's unchecked ego, and easily the weakest of the TOS crew movies.

No way, that’s 3. I would argue that 5 is better than 3 and less dated than 4.

5 has some of the best character moments in the TOS movies.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

edogawa rando posted:

And Into Darkness is way better than Final Frontier, or Nemesis.

Is this a bit

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

It’s ok for the whales one to be dated because it’s about going back in time. It’s just a period piece now.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken

Big Mean Jerk posted:

No way, that’s 3. I would argue that 5 is better than 3 and less dated than 4.

5 has some of the best character moments in the TOS movies.

5 has some of the shittest shits in the TOS movies. Also,

I! *kick* HAVE HAD! *kick ENOUGH! OF YOUUUUUUUUU! *MEGAKICK* is better than anything in 5. Yeah that's right, come at me, you small, kind-hearted good person. :c00lbert:

TheScott2K posted:

Is this a bit

I stand by what I said.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
In fairness many films are better than Nemesis.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
Star Trek movies ranked:

Whale Movie
Galaxy Quest
The scenes with James Cromwell in the ten-fifteen minutes I saw of which ever one that was.

The rest.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I just realized that the whale one is a closed loop like Terminator because whales go extinct in their timeline between the time they steal the last two whales in the 80s and when they reappear in the future. Captain Kirk killed all those people that got hit with the WUBWUBWUB thing.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Time loops mindfuck me too. If you like a good time loop movie and haven't seen it Timecrimes is essential.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

CPL593H posted:

Time loops mindfuck me too. If you like a good time loop movie and haven't seen it Timecrimes is essential.

Time loop movies, you say??

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3966142&perpage=40&noseen=1&pagenumber=3

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

CPL593H posted:

Such a fun movie

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

It was a nice touch starting on the last page.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

I just realized that the whale one is a closed loop like Terminator because whales go extinct in their timeline between the time they steal the last two whales in the 80s and when they reappear in the future. Captain Kirk killed all those people that got hit with the WUBWUBWUB thing.

No it's not, they aren't the last two whales. You could argue that whales went extinct sooner because those two weren't there, but the issues threatening whales don't go away until the utopian future.

Gripweed fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Jul 10, 2021

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Nevermind it's late

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
Region B Riki-Oh is up for preorder: https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=4793526700663901&id=383888771627738

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

CPL593H posted:

All I know about that movie is the less I know going in the better. Without spoiling anything, can someone tell me what kind of tone the movie is so I know what mood to be in when I finally watch it?

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Spacebump posted:

All I know about that movie is the less I know going in the better. Without spoiling anything, can someone tell me what kind of tone the movie is so I know what mood to be in when I finally watch it?
I'd say it's a blend of 'Shoah' and 'Pee Wee's Big Adventure'.

I have not seen Timecrimes

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Spacebump posted:

Imagine a sci-fi dark comedy that is also a bit slapstick. It's like that.

Xenomrph posted:

I'd say it's a blend of 'Shoah' and 'Pee Wee's Big Adventure'.

I have not seen Timecrimes

It is not at all like this.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
Do I immediately get banned if re: timeloops I say I sorta love Tenet now? Only took me about 5 viewings.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

It’s not a perfect film, but I love it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

CPL593H posted:

Star Trek movies ranked:

Whale Movie
Galaxy Quest
The scenes with James Cromwell in the ten-fifteen minutes I saw of which ever one that was.

The rest.

You forgot Planet of the Vampires, which is both a great Star Trek movie and a great Alien movie.