Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

US SNES is fugly but I'm still jealous of the convex face buttons

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

The American one looks like Frieza and Frieza is easily the best villain in Dragon Ball Z

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

LODGE NORTH posted:

The American one looks like Frieza and Frieza is easily the best villain in Dragon Ball Z

It's mercenary tao actually

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Neither is perfect, but I'll take the american one over the others "I'm part of the Brother Label Maker family" design aesthetic.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

People thinking the American SNES isn't ugly as sin is the prime example of people defending what they grew up with against all sense.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Purple is Nintendo's unofficial color

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Pretty good posted:

US SNES is fugly but I'm still jealous of the convex face buttons

i find them a bit uncomfortable for longer play sessions tbh

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

this but it's famicoms and the perfection is the penguin clone

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future
I really like the NA controller, after using SFC for the last few years.
The start button on my NA controller is acting up recently though. I should open it up and clean it, maybe replace the membranes too while I'm at it.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
I actually prefer the look of the NES and SNES redesigns over the originals. If they hadn't lopped off composite and S-Video/component respectively, they'd be the better consoles.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Island Nation posted:

I actually prefer the look of the NES and SNES redesigns over the originals. If they hadn't lopped off composite and S-Video/component respectively, they'd be the better consoles.

The Famicom added composite in that redesign. :v:

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Willo567 posted:

why did noa decide to make the snes in America so ugly and bland?

did they think people were going to make fun of it for having colorful buttons on the controller? I love colorful buttons

I can't find a full source at the moment, but there's an interview floating around with the person who re-designed the SNES for North America. Here's a part of it:

Random: Here's The Reason Why The North American Super NES Looks So Different

For the controller they reasoned the colors of the buttons were less important since you don't look down at the controller while playing. That's why they made the X and Y buttons concave, so they would feel different than A and B. They also wanted to design the SNES itself so you couldn't set stuff on top of it like a drink. Apparently that was a problem with the NES and they had a lot of repairs due to spills?

The real answer is probably that a full time design and brand employee at NOA who gets assigned to re-design the Super Famicom isn't going to just hand it back and say, "Nah, it's good as-is."

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

The reason I always heard was the Angry Kirby thing of Americans wouldn't buy a console with rounded edges and bright colours, so make it all angular with as many hard edges as possible.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

njsykora posted:

The reason I always heard was the Angry Kirby thing of Americans wouldn't buy a console with rounded edges and bright colours, so make it all angular with as many hard edges as possible.

I mean, there's plenty of game covers on different consoles throughout the years with the same general conceit in their US covers so it's quite probable. The Final Fantasy covers are another notable example.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

And then we have the masterpiece of the US Phalanx cover.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Azubah posted:

And then we have the masterpiece of the US Phalanx cover.

Kemco determined that American consumers love old men with banjos

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
And they were right

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Marketing is weird. You definitely want people who understand the region and group you're selling to because if you don't have that you could walk right into some rakes. But marketing creatures are so overloaded with their own biases and need to justify their budget that you get a ton of really stupid poo poo. I doubt that angry eyebrows shifted a single copy of a Kirby game, to use the easy example. I could understand changing Final Fantasy box art since as nice as the illustrations are, they wouldn't stand out on a US shelf. Except they replaced those illustrations with even blander covers...

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

It's no Phalanx, but this one always confused me on who its intended audience was.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

hatty posted:

And they were right

:hai:

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
The problem with the NA SNES design is that, that purple is possibly the worst color to complement yellowed ABS.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I shell swapped my yellow'd SNES with a perfect looking one I've had sitting iny closet for a decade. (It wouldn't power on) And I gotta say it looks downright weird now.

I will concede I like the Super Famicom cart design better, but it's still flawed since they don't have the label lip.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well
Where should someone start if they’ve never played a Metroid game before? Super Metroid, Fusion, or Zero Mission?

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

frogbs posted:

Where should someone start if they’ve never played a Metroid game before? Super Metroid, Fusion, or Zero Mission?

Hollow Knight.

Xir
Jul 31, 2007

I smell fan fiction...
I'd say Zero Mission simply because I have a huge soft spot for the original since I grew up with it and Zero Mission is the most accessible version of it.

Super Metroid is a better game though. I'd save Fusion until you've played the others.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Super

Weedle
May 31, 2006

i just remembered something i encountered many years ago in a hotel on a family vacation: the nintendo gateway system brought to you by LodgeNet, which at the time was basically a pay-per-view super nintendo ($6/hr) that used a modified controller with extra buttons for navigating the game library and payment interface. apparently it stuck around for a long time and eventually introduced n64 and gamecube games

there was also an airplane version that used this bizarre snes controller/remote hybrid

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Super Metroid
Zero Mission
Fusion
AM2R

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Zero Mission, Fusion and Super are all perfectly good starting points.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Saoshyant posted:

It's no Phalanx, but this one always confused me on who its intended audience was.

It's clearly going for a kid-safe Boris Vallejo/Frank Frazetta western fantasy look, it's just done terribly

frogbs posted:

Zero Mission -> AM2R -> Super -> Fusion

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

As much as I enjoyed Samus Returns, AM2R is the better game/experience if you want to see what Metroid 2 was all about.

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

Willo567 posted:

why did noa decide to make the snes in America so ugly and bland?

did they think people were going to make fun of it for having colorful buttons on the controller? I love colorful buttons

It’s certainly a big improvement from the gray brick NES

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Waltzing Along posted:

Hollow Knight.

That’s not a Metroid game.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

frogbs posted:

How much tolerance do you have for 8/16-bit game design?

If "low", start with Zero Mission.

If "high", maybe give NES Metroid a try. You don't have to beat it, but play for a half hour or hour even, as long as you can tolerate, then move on to Super Metroid. Zero Mission is a great game, but it brings in a lot of "modern" stuff like objective markers that even Super Metroid doesn't have, and there's really nothing like the experience of playing OG or even Super Metroid and being stranded on an alien world with absolutely no idea what to do next.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

frogbs posted:

NES (or maybe FDS so you don't have to deal with passwords) -> GB -> SNES -> GBA -> Prime series

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
Having save games, or using savestates would make the original Metroid a lot easier to get into, for sure.

ExcessBLarg! posted:

How much tolerance do you have for 8/16-bit game design?

If "low", start with Zero Mission.

If "high", maybe give NES Metroid a try. You don't have to beat it, but play for a half hour or hour even, as long as you can tolerate, then move on to Super Metroid. Zero Mission is a great game, but it brings in a lot of "modern" stuff like objective markers that even Super Metroid doesn't have, and there's really nothing like the experience of playing OG or even Super Metroid and being stranded on an alien world with absolutely no idea what to do next.

Yeah, agreed. Super Metroid is a masterpiece, but I'd recommend some version of the original first.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

Xir posted:

I'd say Zero Mission simply because I have a huge soft spot for the original since I grew up with it and Zero Mission is the most accessible version of it.

Super Metroid is a better game though. I'd save Fusion until you've played the others.

Thanks for all the suggestions y'all! I think i'm going to start with Zero Mission.

Also, on a completely different topic: Is the Xbox port of Guardian Heroes the only modern Sega Saturn port? I honestly can't think of another Saturn game that was ported to something past PS/PS2. From what I remember reading they had access to the actual source code, which was the only reason it was even possible. Would love it if Guardian Heroes made it to Switch someday, it deserves to be played by more people.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Panzer Dragoon got a remake recently. Made it to Switch and I think PC/XboxOne

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoph
Sep 12, 2005

frogbs posted:

Thanks for all the suggestions y'all! I think i'm going to start with Zero Mission.

Also, on a completely different topic: Is the Xbox port of Guardian Heroes the only modern Sega Saturn port? I honestly can't think of another Saturn game that was ported to something past PS/PS2. From what I remember reading they had access to the actual source code, which was the only reason it was even possible. Would love it if Guardian Heroes made it to Switch someday, it deserves to be played by more people.

Radiant Silvergun is also on XBL, but also kind of a weird edge case because it's an ST-V game, which itself was a Saturn in an arcade cabinet. There is also the Nights PS3/360 remake.