Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
I recently read Record of Ragnarok following the Netflix slideshow controversy and while on paper it sounded - and looked - like it would have the same appeal as Kengan I completely checked out of it except for a few key moments. On the other hand I eat Kengan up. I wonder what the distinction is? Some of the Kengan abilities are just as made up as the god/human powers in Record.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
how far into record of ragnarok did you get? like if you didn't get into it fair enough but the first fight isn't very good imo

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Kengan has considerably better art, so that's one element that I could see affecting things.

edit: not that the art in Ragnarok is bad by any means; Kengan Ashura just has unusually good action art

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014

Jose posted:

how far into record of ragnarok did you get? like if you didn't get into it fair enough but the first fight isn't very good imo

I read all of it that is currently available. Several of the fight matchups were genuinely interesting conceptually but it was hard to be invested in most of the characters. To be fair to Ragnarok, it might be because Kengan has a veneer of realism to most (okay, some) of the martial arts whereas in Ragnarok everyone's powers are completely fictional and busted.

I don't want to hijack the Kengan thread with RoR discussion but I thoroughly enjoyed the Adam and Zeus fight until the final moments, Sasaki and Poseidon was alright, everything else I had a hard time caring about.

Zodack fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Jul 2, 2021

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
the lack of a protagonist gives the plot a certain amount of weightlessness, i think. it's not really important to me who wins or loses when there's a maximum of one chapter's lead time between a character being introduced and their fight

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
FUCK U and never come back
Kengan Asura usually made a point of trying to introduce characters before they step into the ring, so readers can experience some setup for the character that doesn't come from pre-battle banter, mid-fight flashbacks, and ringside spectator exposition.

RoR doesn't do that, choosing instead to keep most of the fighters as mysterious as possible until the moment they enter the ring. And Omega isn't so good about it either, which makes it a lot harder to get attached to the Purgatory characters.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
in retrospect that boat trip arc in kengan asura was insanely important to giving it the impact it had

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004

Venuz Patrol posted:

in retrospect that boat trip arc in kengan asura was insanely important to giving it the impact it had
Yes this is what made me fall in love with Kengan. Then the political maneuvering in the main tournament arc.

In contrast I am finding the writing very stale in Omega. Too much in-fight flashbacks and not enough of old classics.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Kengan vs Purgatory really should have been like 5v5 or 7v7 or something instead of this many.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

I think its important to remember in asura we had multiple rounds over multiple days, Really i'm treating this whole tournament here as merely Round 1 of whatever the larger story is going to be for Omega, I don't feel like the last fight is going to be a climax to close off this "series" the same way that Ohma vs Gensai was for Asura.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
We had an entire period of random rear end tournament fights in parking garages and poo poo, then the boat fight, and all sorts of other poo poo before we got to the proper final tournament of Asura. I'm positive the same thing is happening here.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

just got done reading all of this over like 3 days, pretty cool how Purgatory found an Absolver. Okubo boutta get Folded

Catpetter1981
Apr 9, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It's funny how Alisa made a big fuss about Hayami wearing earpods, but Terashi openly wears a protective metal mask and it's NBD.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Catpetter1981 posted:

It's funny how Alisa made a big fuss about Hayami wearing earpods, but Terashi openly wears a protective metal mask and it's NBD.

Poison is legal under Purgatory rules and they had Mike Meyers wearing a leather mask during an official mask. It's purgatory, I ain't gotta explain poo poo.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Masks are allowed because they are cool and poo poo

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Earbuds could prevent fighters from hearing the referee's instructions and calls.

That Guy Bob
Apr 30, 2009
Has any fighter listened to any ref in any Kengan match?

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004

That Guy Bob posted:

Has any fighter listened to any ref in any Kengan match?
The refs were explicitly mentioned as being nothing more than a token person yelling Fight and KO. Most of the kengan rules are enforced outside of the ring (actually just one: No Weapons), there's not much to do.

That's why in these fight the refs are a joke because of all the dumb rules. Kengan dudes aren't used to refs interfering with life and death.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Yeah even the refs themselves acknowledge that they don't have much use in an actual match.

That said they have symbolic significance in that they mark the official beginning (and ending) of matches.

Jun vs Kiozan and Nicholas vs Akoya aside.

Guess there was also Gozo vs Wakatsuki though that's less sucker punching and more Gozo going "Don't try order superhumans around."

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Okubo is gonna get absolutely smoked isnt he

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
I believe in Okubo, actually. :colbert:

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

don't they need every win now? I can see whoever goes last losing but if Okubo's out, then that'd impact the next couple of fights

Chaos Triangle
Dec 9, 2007
DO NOT TRUST
Current score is Purgatory 5, Kengan 4, 1 no contest- so if the Kengan Association wins 2 of the remaining 3, it'll end up as a tie, which is what I'm predicting

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
a big twist would be the outcome of the tournament mattering at all.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
My guess is whatever fight happens last ends up a no contest by whatever events makes the results not actually matter. Aside from that curious how these last ones shake out assuming the fights do finish.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Zerilan posted:

My guess is whatever fight happens last ends up a no contest by whatever events makes the results not actually matter. Aside from that curious how these last ones shake out assuming the fights do finish.

I’m guessing Okubo loses and Wakatsuki vs Lolong is a tie, leaving the deciding match to be Ohma vs Fei. I hope I’m wrong though since this is a terribly boring outcome.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Im very pumped for Wakatsuki

A Dapper Walrus
Dec 28, 2011
All I want is for just one of the 4 idiots to actually win a fight.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
The problem is Tereshi is so downplayed that if he loses, even if it's a good fight- it's still like "oh, well he wasn't much anyway"

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

RatHat posted:

I’m guessing Okubo loses and Wakatsuki vs Lolong is a tie, leaving the deciding match to be Ohma vs Fei. I hope I’m wrong though since this is a terribly boring outcome.

If purgatory wins one then ties another, they win overall I think. To have them tie It verbally, I think we need 2 Kengan wins and 1 Purgatory win.

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
FUCK U and never come back

Spuckuk posted:

Okubo is gonna get absolutely smoked isnt he

Nah, Okubo's been playing the long game. He spent the entire arc acting like a clown so he won't actually get clowned in the ring.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

team overhead smash posted:

If purgatory wins one then ties another, they win overall I think. To have them tie It verbally, I think we need 2 Kengan wins and 1 Purgatory win.

Oh wait you’re right, Purgatory is one ahead right now.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Well then

https://manga4life.com/read-online/Kengan-Omega-chapter-116.html

Catpetter1981
Apr 9, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Guess my Terashi is Nezu theory is probably not gonna happen.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Yeees, Terashi is being baited into revealing his backstory first, Okubo's masterful strategy is working! :v:

Jo Joestar
Oct 24, 2013
It kind of looks like Terashi could be the Tiger's vessel. His resilience seems similar to the Adamantine Kata, and the way he's setting up his hand looks like he might be preparing for Weeping Willow, which would explain why Okubo is so instinctually wary. It might also explain his lack of experience with 'modern' martial arts - the Niko style focuses on the katas, not a general system of movements.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Julius is wearing a tank top!!

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
that just means Julius has joined the Tank Topper Army

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Jo Joestar posted:

It kind of looks like Terashi could be the Tiger's vessel. His resilience seems similar to the Adamantine Kata, and the way he's setting up his hand looks like he might be preparing for Weeping Willow, which would explain why Okubo is so instinctually wary. It might also explain his lack of experience with 'modern' martial arts - the Niko style focuses on the katas, not a general system of movements.

the long min connection too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Jo Joestar posted:

I think it's Clone Bando's super flexibility mixed with a variant of impact redirection. There's weird marks around his feet on the 2nd to last page which makes me think he's dispersing the damage downwards somehow. I also don't think Okubo is wary of a weeping willow given how Terashi so far isn't bothering to use a martial arts and even derides the idea his closing comments. I'm not letting this go, Terashi is going to do some freaky body poo poo next chapter and then the mask comes off.