Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
is that talking about circle or is there another one giving it a go?

because if they skate through this without everyone ending up in jail or hiding then holy poo poo are you going to see a lot of other places trying this. seems like a pretty solid way for exchange execs to launder paper gains on the exchange's books to real gains in the execs' real money brokerage accounts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

also I'm reviewing some CVs and there's one that lists 'blockchain' in skills and I'm tempted to reject it out of hand solely for that

(they aren't actually the best candidate on paper anyway)
bring them in for the interview and see how many of the whiteboard questions they try to solve with a blockchain

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
if it's less than all of them, tell them they lack conviction

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

say that you've heard some talk on social media that the blockchain can fix all the problems with tcp/ip and ask him to whiteboard out a blockchain-based networking protocol

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

three way handshake with the invisible hand of the market

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
*looks at problems on white board* well you see there is this distributed coding blockchain service that can subcontract out code down to the individual bits which completely removes the need for you to code yourself therefore

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

SYN LAZ-FRE NAP

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

i would like to update my earlier joke to be invisible three-way handshake but the postchain is immutable

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

SubG posted:

i would like to update my earlier joke to be invisible three-way handshake but the postchain is immutable

just double spend it

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

NO CALLBACKS

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

SubG posted:

say that you've heard some talk on social media that the blockchain can fix all the problems with tcp/ip and ask him to whiteboard out a blockchain-based networking protocol

*painstakingly writes out https:\\tcpipreplacement.fandom.wikia.com*

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

fortunately for me its not a Dev position I don't even have to bother whiteboarding questions and pretending I care about the answers

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
ask them how to reverse a blockchain in place, op

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
now sort the chain from highest to least intrinsic value

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
you like blockchains huh? well name 4000 bitcoins

Clockwerk
Apr 6, 2005

FAUXTON posted:

it's called a stablecoin because it's fulla horseshit

lol

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
In 2004 our battery had a supply blockchain running from Bitfinex out to the Binance border. One day the blockchain is cruising down Route Michigan (main MSR across Coinbase) and one vehicle swerves wildly, runs off the road and the two guys in front dive out and commence transactions. The blockchain herringbones out and has a statist run over to check on them.

Turns out, one guy in the wallet had been an altcoin observer with 1st Satoshis during the initial invasion of Mt.Gox, and in a Satoshi unit in wartime you don't stop for anything. So when Nakamoto called, it didn't occur to him to ask the driver to radio the blockchain commander and ask if we could take a break sooner than later. Instead, believing that keeping the blockchain rolling was top priority, he just grabbed an empty birdbath, turned around and hopped up on the wallet, dropped trou and let go.

The hodler heard a strange noise and turned his head, only to be confronted by a PULSING BITCOIN only inches from his face. He started retching and flailing at the driver, driver turned and saw (and smelled) it too and freaked out and tried to herringbone so he could confirm. So brief FUD was had by all, and the passenger presumably learned that it's okay, when not actively under audits, to ask the blockchain for a proof-of-work before commencing to mine in a birdbath.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Boxturret posted:

HELLOMYNAMEIS___
Dec 30, 2007

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/restored-hydroelectric-plant-will-mine-bitcoin

Bitcoin drives renewable energy.... away from consumers!

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Boxturret posted:

John Galt.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

SubG posted:

mods pls

FAUXTON posted:

John Galt.

has anyone said dauxton yet

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Weatherman posted:

mods pls

has anyone said dauxton yet

Nope, and not the mispronounced "Mt Faux" either

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

SubG posted:

no Manx!

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

infernal machines posted:

it's just way too perfectly mocking bitcoiners, and too obviously absurd. the only other possibility is that man is god's perfect idiot.

there was a time i felt sure i could tell the difference

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

new shitcoin

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

:itwaspoo:

But also legitimately better than any project ever with a blockchain.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Faeces Standard Money

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

quote:

Women take a look at items at a faeces currency market at Ulsan National Institute of Science and Technology (UNIST) in Ulsan, South Korea, July 6, 2021. Picture taken on July 6, 2021. REUTERS/Daewoung Kim

really?

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
lol
https://twitter.com/patrickcmiller/status/1413841687584124930

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Is it a poo poo battery? Can you buy more poo poo with it?

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

gschmidl posted:

The stablecoin of Augias.

Hodlcules

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

The 12 Proofs of Work

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

gschmidl posted:

The 12 Proofs of Work

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

SubG posted:

A powerful... three-hander???

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

gschmidl posted:

The 12 Proofs of Work

I know about the Augean stablecoin and the Stymphalian birdbath, but what are the others?

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Zopotantor posted:

I know about the Augean stablecoin and the Stymphalian birdbath, but what are the others?

One's killing the Nemean bearwhale.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
Bearwhale still ranks up there in my lists of the dumbest things ever seen

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Zopotantor posted:

hodlcles’ smart contract required him to fetch the cryptoapples from the garden of the hashpiredes, so he went to atlas and offered to hold the bag for him if he fetched them. when atlas came back he tried to trick hodlcles into holding the bag forever, but hodlcles said “ah, but my hands are so weak: take the weight a moment while I adjust my grip”, and atlas shrugged and agreed

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

gschmidl posted:

Faeces Standard Money

at first i thought it was Fasces Standard Money and was a lot more worried

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
Lol, wonder if this worries elon