Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

I had two revelations today that completely changed the game for me. First, that you can start counters *way* earlier than I thought you could, to the point people can't always get their block back up.

And second:

Ravenfood posted:

I have embraced the dual Dane Axe. There's almost always a 3rd primary lying around so that is a ton of potential ranged and melee damage.

I can throw my first Dane axe into the skull of an archer, and pick up their bow/crossbow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

Yeah I've given up on javelins, they're marginally OK in melee but awful as ranged weapons. Dane axes, however...

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Also, I feel like its weird to announce a patch with balance changes and then not release it for over a week.

E: vvv yeah basically.

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Jul 10, 2021

cerebral
Oct 24, 2002

Ravenfood posted:

Also, I feel like its weird to announce a patch with balance changes and then not release it for over a week.

You don't think it's a good idea to announce that the spear and shield is getting removed from the game for a rework and then leave it in? What could possibly go wrong?

I want the patch to come because I can't handle the idea of using a weapon that is broken and gives me an advantage, and I miss my Great Sword.

I leveled up all the classes (minus archer) to 30 and after that I've been focusing on Knight for the last 20 levels, and I have to say, there are really only two weapons that I actively dislike in his kit. I don't like the Pole Axe because it does lackluster damage and its special attack is poo, and I don't like the Battle Axe because its range is too short and I feel like everything else in that class is a better option.

I think Longsword, Heavy Mace, Warhammer, and Executioner's Axe are all top tier picks with all of the other weapons close behind. (Messer is great, but I hardly ever use it because I am a snob, and it is common.)

cerebral fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Jul 10, 2021

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate
That's funny, I specifically prefer the battle axe for its speed and ability to rush down opponents while still having more reach than most one hand weapons, and I like the poleaxe because it's extremely awkward to fight against even if it does pathetic damage. I see it as a support weapon where you are the second man constantly hitting past blocks and having awkward timing

I also discovered that when you crouch backwards while in motion your guy does a little half dodge. I don't know how a useful it actually is but it's kind of fun to try and use

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Personally I just dislike all double-sided axes on principle :colbert:. But fortunately the knight also has the pretty kickass executioner's axe for all my axing needs.

As for the poleaxe, it really feels more like a spear than an axe. It does decently if you kinda treat it like a longsword and rely on thrusts 90% of the time and resort to swings only in group fights. Though even then I'd generally still rather use a longsword.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
All about the falchion and mace combo running around with a shield these days. People severely underestime the speed and reach of the mace. :black101:

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Seeing a decent number of people switching right before heir/duke selection to get it if they are top scoring. Once I'm pretty sure it led to a glitch where the duke just never spawned because the other guy was still switching.

On the other hand, I got over 100k in points and 60+ kills so that felt nice.

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

Yeah I've been on the attacking side before when the duke never spawned. I kept looking for his icon but it never appeared :smith:

cerebral
Oct 24, 2002

Moonshine Rhyme posted:

That's funny, I specifically prefer the battle axe for its speed and ability to rush down opponents while still having more reach than most one hand weapons, and I like the poleaxe because it's extremely awkward to fight against even if it does pathetic damage. I see it as a support weapon where you are the second man constantly hitting past blocks and having awkward timing

I also discovered that when you crouch backwards while in motion your guy does a little half dodge. I don't know how a useful it actually is but it's kind of fun to try and use

I actually feel kind of the same way about the Battle Axe, but I didn't want to make my post too long winded. There are certain levels/stages where I think it absolutely shreds, and might be one of the most fun weapons to use. For instance, on the third stage of the Siege of Rudhelm as an attacker. When you're pushing the ramps, if you use the ramps as a vehicle to drop in behind the enemy team, the Battle Axe will mow them down like grass before they even know what is happening. One of the most fun things you can do in the game imho. That said, in other stages where the enemy has room to move around and dodge, I think it's just terrible. To me, that makes the other weapons in the class better options in general, unless you're faced with a specific situation where the Battle Axe can shine.

The Pole Axe lacking a good special is just unforgivable to me, until they change the special, I'm not changing my opinion on it.

The Falchion and Mace are both fun to use and good, but I don't feel they are as good as some of the other options due to their range.

If it isn't obvious, I pretty much only play TO/TDM, so I prioritize weapons that let me either kill, or at least hold in 1vX situations, and take people out quickly.

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate

cerebral posted:

I actually feel kind of the same way about the Battle Axe, but I didn't want to make my post too long winded. There are certain levels/stages where I think it absolutely shreds, and might be one of the most fun weapons to use. For instance, on the third stage of the Siege of Rudhelm as an attacker. When you're pushing the ramps, if you use the ramps as a vehicle to drop in behind the enemy team, the Battle Axe will mow them down like grass before they even know what is happening. One of the most fun things you can do in the game imho. That said, in other stages where the enemy has room to move around and dodge, I think it's just terrible. To me, that makes the other weapons in the class better options in general, unless you're faced with a specific situation where the Battle Axe can shine.

The Pole Axe lacking a good special is just unforgivable to me, until they change the special, I'm not changing my opinion on it.

The Falchion and Mace are both fun to use and good, but I don't feel they are as good as some of the other options due to their range.

If it isn't obvious, I pretty much only play TO/TDM, so I prioritize weapons that let me either kill, or at least hold in 1vX situations, and take people out quickly.

For sure. I am also riding the double dane axe train hard, but I agree I think each weapon has a best-use case. even though I like it, I would say the poleaxe needs some adjustment, alongside the spears

cerebral
Oct 24, 2002

Moonshine Rhyme posted:

For sure. I am also riding the double dane axe train hard, but I agree I think each weapon has a best-use case. even though I like it, I would say the poleaxe needs some adjustment, alongside the spears

Tonight, when I finally hit 50 on the Knight class, I plan on switching over to the Vanguard and playing 20 levels with that, and the vast majority of that time is going to be spent rocking double Dane axes, and I cannot wait for it. That combo is so satisfying to play. I will murder so many archers with long range throws, I've been looking forward to this for a week, ever since I decided to solely focus on Knight and not bounce back and forth between classes.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Getting into a crowded chokepoint and just swinging for the fences with Executioner Axe heavy swings is just marvelous.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

cerebral posted:

Tonight, when I finally hit 50 on the Knight class, I plan on switching over to the Vanguard and playing 20 levels with that, and the vast majority of that time is going to be spent rocking double Dane axes, and I cannot wait for it. That combo is so satisfying to play. I will murder so many archers with long range throws, I've been looking forward to this for a week, ever since I decided to solely focus on Knight and not bounce back and forth between classes.
You might like Battle axe more on vanguard than knight , Vanguard leap with battle axe is a loving bonkers 138 damage to knights, making it stronger than most blunt weapons vs knights.

The big reason Exec axe and War axe will always feel better and even kill more easily is-

Internet Explorer posted:

Getting into a crowded chokepoint and just swinging for the fences with Executioner Axe heavy swings is just marvelous.

Big swings for big wins! The sword game way. The length is also more useful for knight tackle follow ups, and the Executioner axe length having a rock solid heavy thrust like the battle axe is able to rack more "I can't believe he fell for that!" kills.

War axe is cool, but the raw killing power seems slightly worse except for if you love aiding team fights due to the wild world of "Hits to kill (in a duel)" making the slightly stronger heavy overhand and standing special a moot point. And according to internet numbers, the War axe light Overhands are not any stronger than the executioner axe in spite of having a "Stronger overhands" trait because... gently caress you weapon Vanguards can't use, I guess? (While the battle axe gets extra strong light overhands than can two-shot a vanguard or footman).

I love helping team fights so I'm a lot more happy to see takedown pop ups after I hit somebody in the back of the head with a heavy or special for +10-12 more damage than the executioner axe that doesn't actually kill enemies any faster personally. But even then the stronger Executioner axe heavy thrust is more useful for ramming into the ribs of an enemy knight in a crowd :v:

War axe sounds amazing when it kills something though, so that makes it a joy to hit things with beyond efficiency at least :buddy:

Section Z fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Jul 11, 2021

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

This will probably sound weird but I don’t use specials. I can’t remember which one is a big overhead, or a big side swing, or a charge or a small underhand. Does it differ between classes, too? I don’t pay enough attention to if my run indicator is on or not. I do know the most efficient way to put out damage to multiple targets is the executioner axe heavy side swing though.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

VulgarandStupid posted:

This will probably sound weird but I don’t use specials. I can’t remember which one is a big overhead, or a big side swing, or a charge or a small underhand. Does it differ between classes, too? I don’t pay enough attention to if my run indicator is on or not. I do know the most efficient way to put out damage to multiple targets is the executioner axe heavy side swing though.
Not weird at all because they are often too slow to really take advantage in a "duel" standoff or trying to kill multiple people at once.

Special attacks have guard break properties that you don't seem to recover from fast enough to take advantage of, but are wonderful in a team fight and drain more enemy stamina. If you don't just kill the target outright with a direct hit with some of the stronger ones like the polehammer. Because I am a violent cave man who likes team fights and stamina drain, I tend to use special attacks quite a bit with most weapons. For quick 1vs1 brawls they won't help as much against people who are nonstop offense, but it is criminal how many special attacks I get away with against people clearly fishing for counters.

Vanguard in particular gets an alternate special attack during a sprint. The gap in power varies, and while USUALLY stronger there are some weapons where the vanguard sprint special deal "Less than a normal special, more than a heavy attack", like the Maul. (Though I think the Glaive is clearly glitchy to only do something like 20 damage for that). Normally it is stuff like letting the "weaker damage" war club deal triple digit damage against footmen and knights.

Poleman can do "Charge" specials while sprinting but only the long spear really benefits from it being stronger than a regular attack. The halberd and pole hammer have something like +1/-2 damage on the charges. The hitboxes seem super hosed because half the time you will have your halberd shoved through someone's back for a solid 1.3 seconds and no damage happens. So now as much as I love specials now I just do a normal heavy attack (or tackle) sprinting in with the poleman usually.

All knights can tackle if you hit the kick button while sprinting, and only the poleman subclass can do that for footman. It also suffers from some wild hitboxes so for every time you shoulder check someone parry master into a spike wall to their death, is a time where it warps you sideways into a spike wall through an enemy body.

Also it is turning out that there are some weapons with special attacks that are only as strong, or weaker, than regular heavy attacks. I love the hatchet, but the special attack is notably weaker than the heavy overhand able to two-shot everything in the game. pickaxe lists "stronger special" but it's only as strong as the heavy attack. The sledge heavy attack is stronger than the pick axe, but sledge has a weaker special than it's own heavy attack because ???

Section Z fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Jul 11, 2021

Exodee
Mar 30, 2011

Hello? Anyone in there?

VulgarandStupid posted:

I'm usually at the top of the scoreboard and I hardly use them either. :shrug:

Their slowness and the obvious way they're telegraphed makes them extremely situational. You could try using them during a big chaotic chokepoint battle, but don't ever try it when the enemy is paying attention to you.

The indicator is for running attacks though, which are different things entirely. Section Z already went over these, but personally I'm a big fan of the footman's charge attack; if you have a long weapon like the polehammer you can often aim next to the person you're targeting and then drag the charge into them which can really gently caress with their block attempt. The vanguard's greatsword has a good one too; it can be tough to aim, but is near instant and can even be used when you're right up against an opponent.

Chuds McGreedy
Aug 26, 2007

Jumanji
Malric is a doob

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009

Chuds McGreedy posted:

Malric is a doob

:hmmyes:

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.

Exodee posted:

I'm usually at the top of the scoreboard and I hardly use them either. :shrug:

Their slowness and the obvious way they're telegraphed makes them extremely situational. You could try using them during a big chaotic chokepoint battle, but don't ever try it when the enemy is paying attention to you.

The indicator is for running attacks though, which are different things entirely. Section Z already went over these, but personally I'm a big fan of the footman's charge attack; if you have a long weapon like the polehammer you can often aim next to the person you're targeting and then drag the charge into them which can really gently caress with their block attempt. The vanguard's greatsword has a good one too; it can be tough to aim, but is near instant and can even be used when you're right up against an opponent.

One of the most important parts about the Man-at-Arms's charge is that it beats the other kinds of running attacks unless you're using, like, a shovel to do it. If you collide with someone who's trying to get a vanguard jump or knight tackle on you, you'll catch both of those in the act and get free damage on them.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Internet Explorer posted:

https://i.imgur.com/GXQgYQk.mp4

[edit: poo poo, sorry for the gigantic embed that was here. I'm an idiot and will edit something smaller in.]

Internet Explorer fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Jul 11, 2021

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

cerebral posted:

Jesus. I've been playing fairly regularly but I'm at like 23 on my most played class. (I really want the gold vanguard mason armor).

Also I use the Dane Axe special all the time in group fights. It ends them pretty fast, letting things snowball. Also fun: nobody seems to expect you pull a thrown axe out of them. Throwing 2 axes in one fight and having a third available is pretty great.

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Jul 11, 2021

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Same, I've got like 15/16 on each of the real classes, and four on archer cause I was/am hoping for javelins at some point.

cerebral
Oct 24, 2002

Section Z posted:

You might like Battle axe more on vanguard than knight , Vanguard leap with battle axe is a loving bonkers 138 damage to knights, making it stronger than most blunt weapons vs knights.

Yep, you were right, I tried it out on vanguard today and I enjoy it a lot more on that class. Really good Duke killing weapon, fun to clear out those rooms with the slashes and plant an overhead in the Duke's face.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

cerebral posted:

Yep, you were right, I tried it out on vanguard today and I enjoy it a lot more on that class. Really good Duke killing weapon, fun to clear out those rooms with the slashes and plant an overhead in the Duke's face.
The fact Vanguards are faster and don't have a sprint cooldown penalty like the Knight probably helps your desire to run around finding as many new people to kill as possible :black101:

This reminds me. I am honestly curious what the ground speed comparisons of "120 Speed Vanguard has no move speed penalty as Devastator" vs "100 speed Footman is 10% faster as Man At Arms" is.

Considering how hit and miss the effects of traits vs what they give you actually are ("War axe has stronger overhands!" "How come the light overhand is the same as executioner axe then?" "...Well the heavy one is slightly stronger, It still counts!" ) I would not be surprised if Vanguard devastator only had a faster sprint and no basic walk speed bonus.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
Well, I finally did it. I finally got the bakers dozen achievement/trophy. Unfortunately trophies don't carry over between ps4/5, gonna have to grind everything else out again unfortunately :negative:

Chuds McGreedy
Aug 26, 2007

Jumanji
Dang, condolences! I beat Chivalry 2 over the weekend and the bread and siege weapon kills were my last ones. I’ve never gotten plat before.

Sorry if I said it here already: The move to make for the bread achievement is The Slaughter of Coxwell as Mason.

During the first steal the gold segment, go hard left into the church and take the bread off the table and it one hit KOs the AI peasants. They count for the achievement.

Give Maybelline a “that’s a good girl” for me

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

The only achievements are peoples’ tears in chat.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Maybe I'm just old or whatever, but one of the first things I did was disable chat. You're all bots to me.

have you seen my baby
Nov 22, 2009

counter combos are the new hotness

after you land a hit you can immediately block, which means you can immediately counter. this resets your animation and is much faster than a regular combo. here's the dane axe overhead demonstrated on the ground

https://i.imgur.com/dr54r9P.mp4

have you seen my baby fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Jul 14, 2021

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

have you seen my baby posted:

counter combos are the new hotness

after you land a hit you can immediately block, which means you can immediately counter. this resets your animation and is much faster than a regular combo. here's the dane axe overhead demonstrated on the ground

https://i.imgur.com/dr54r9P.mp4

Holy poo poo that's why I noticed people recovering impossibly fast then stabbing me in the face before I can get a hit in :argh:

Nevermind the fact that Torn Banner advertised to the entire world that the 1h spear is broken, told they're removing it in a patch, then never put out said patch... so usually half the server is guys with 1h spears :argh:

That said, yesterday I finally had a moment where I played well and trounced 10 people before getting murdered. It's absolutely exhilarating and I resent the fact I don't have enough hours to play to get to that level consistently and fast enough

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

new For Honor hero lookin' sick

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k243bI3GT5g

School Nickname
Apr 23, 2010

*fffffff-fffaaaaaaarrrtt*
:ussr:
Is there literally no counter window against one-handed weapons? Duelyards are loving full of these jumping insta riposting sweatlords. I feel like a goomba. Their feints are straight up faster than my ripostes/counters.

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

School Nickname posted:

Is there literally no counter window against one-handed weapons? Duelyards are loving full of these jumping insta riposting sweatlords. I feel like a goomba. Their feints are straight up faster than my ripostes/counters.

Dodge and jab! Float like a butterfly, sting like a bee.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

I don’t even swing for less than 3 kills.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

School Nickname posted:

bees everywhere posted:

Dodge and jab! Float like a butterfly, sting like a bee.
I'm a horrible casual and Jabs have been such a goddamned lifesaver, even if I don't look into the whole dueling lifestyle jabbing more often has turned around a lot fights against a guy with 6,000+ points rushing me looking for blood in team modes.

That said, considering how much I love trying to disarm people I actually get mileage out of a jab hit follow up attempt getting blocked, often disarming a shortsword user if things are going well, so I can then kill them at my leisure. So even getting my follow up attack after a jab blocked is a win in the caveman play book.

A whole lot of people in game seem violently opposed to the idea that jabs are useful, going by how many people start angrily declaring jabs are worthless in game chat when I start thanking Jabs for killing faster people with my slow pole hammer or whatever. Because it does not guarantee them a free kill hit against a shortsword/short spear/regular sword/etc user with your slower two-handed weapon, so therefore must worthless :v:

Section Z fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Jul 16, 2021

School Nickname
Apr 23, 2010

*fffffff-fffaaaaaaarrrtt*
:ussr:
Jabs are so inconsistent, they don't work half the time for me, but I'm trying. The 1H sword is incredibly oppressive in duelyards though. I'm a Chiv1 and Mordhau veteran, but the Chiv2 1H sword is the only weapon to give me a real sense of despair when I'm up against it. It's that bad.

I've discovered something neat though through a helpful soul at a duelyard (who wasn't a 1h sword abuser). You can feint an attack into it's alt equivalent! The result is you can feint a messer overhead into it's alt overhead to bait out out an early counter, because the animations are almost identical. It just looks like an overhead that's taking way too long.

School Nickname fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Jul 17, 2021

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

The Executioner's Axe continues to be pretty incredible. That reach :allears:

https://i.imgur.com/XBFNSUf.mp4

Still wasn't enough to actually capture the drat square :smith:

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

Here's an interesting 4v1 fight I had the other night. It's a good demonstration of how using counters instead of combos helps you swing a lot faster. Almost every attack in this clip is an attempted counter but only one of them actually countered an attack (at the 10 second mark).

https://i.imgur.com/z7ebb6q.mp4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

So is this very, very fun game hosed? It had every server full at launch and maybe 10k+ players. Last night it had about 500.

Would a patch fixing performance issues and letting people play with friends save it or is it too late?