Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

:allears:

I miss playing Battlefield with goons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

afkmacro
Mar 29, 2009

lmao I'm so glad you kept this!

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

lmao

dude blindly charges into a house and gets gunned down

"my team loving sucks"

ya dude, its def your team

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

This is one of those times where someone is right but also very wrong.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Blahh not my proudest moment but here's what I'm reduced to:

Please give me KB/M support on the Xbox version of BF2042 so I don't have to spend the next year praying I can find a video card :(

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Fire up BF4, haven't played in years, dismayed the only servers around SEA are vanilla maps only. What the hell, load into Paracel Storm. RPG the transport chopper flying across my screen, and at a fair distance so accounted for lead and rocket drop. Hit the skyhippo, pilot bails, chopper crashes, and passengers die. Whisper to myself, "still got it" and flex and kiss my guns. Proceed to die a billion times to little bird / plane shitfucks while trying to repair attack boats in the 4 spot. Minigunners can't hit poo poo. Hell yeah. Brings me back. Can't hit poo poo and keep trying to ledge grab. Why is this HUD so drat big? I forgot how to even spot.

E: Just to clarify, I really enjoyed it!

Shrimp or Shrimps fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Jul 10, 2021

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Martytoof posted:

Blahh not my proudest moment but here's what I'm reduced to:

Please give me KB/M support on the Xbox version of BF2042 so I don't have to spend the next year praying I can find a video card :(

A big card liquidation dump due to all the crypto mining bans in China is expected in the near future. It might be possible soon to just buy a card at sane prices.

Overdrift
Jul 17, 2006

This is Fatherman! He fights crime to earn Sonboy's respect! Is it working?

Kazinsal posted:

A big card liquidation dump due to all the crypto mining bans in China is expected in the near future. It might be possible soon to just buy a card at sane prices.

This makes me worry about all the cards that were run 24/7 scooping up buttcoins that may randomly fail.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Overdrift posted:

This makes me worry about all the cards that were run 24/7 scooping up buttcoins that may randomly fail.

Miners typically run their cards at 55/60 percent tdp anyway because that's where the efficiency sweet spot is, and in some cases probably tweaking voltage/freq curves. Also, if you've seen any of these mining setups, they have poo poo tons of fans and are a real earsore. If anything, mining cards might actually be better preserved for resale than some rando gamer who kept it in his lovely tempered glass no airflow case and loaded it for 6 hours a day with the power slider set to 120% on a bad model Newegg-bundled PSU.

The wildcard right now is GDDR6X on the 3080 and up cards. They're rated for 95c but constantly hit 100+ under a mining load unless you fiddle with thermal pads. Dunno if mining setups' brute-force airflow would deal with that or not, but I have a very hard time believing they bother doing thermal pad replacements on their cards.

E: Of course, miners constant loads will probably wear the fans out faster.

Shrimp or Shrimps fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Jul 10, 2021

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Yeah, one of the interesting things about the mining workload is that you can drop the power limit and undervolt and still hit high clocks because something about the compute kernels just doesn't need 100% of the card's rated power to do the math that ethereum and whatnot need.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

Miners typically run their cards at 55/60 percent tdp anyway because that's where the efficiency sweet spot is, and in some cases probably tweaking voltage/freq curves. Also, if you've seen any of these mining setups, they have poo poo tons of fans and are a real earsore. If anything, mining cards might actually be better preserved for resale than some rando gamer who kept it in his lovely tempered glass no airflow case and loaded it for 6 hours a day with the power slider set to 120% on a bad model Newegg-bundled PSU.

The wildcard right now is GDDR6X on the 3080 and up cards. They're rated for 95c but constantly hit 100+ under a mining load unless you fiddle with thermal pads. Dunno if mining setups' brute-force airflow would deal with that or not, but I have a very hard time believing they bother doing thermal pad replacements on their cards.

E: Of course, miners constant loads will probably wear the fans out faster.

Was just about to post exactly this with less effort so thank you. As stated, fans are the main thing to worry about but considering we're talking about months of usage and not a year+ they should be mostly fine. If not, fan replacements are cheap

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

Yeah, if you need replacement fans just look up Josh's webstore by searching jisforjosh on onlyfans.com

Duck_King
Sep 5, 2003

leader.bmp

Hahah I remember this dude.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

lmao

dude blindly charges into a house and gets gunned down

"my team loving sucks"

ya dude, its def your team

Followed by him expecting a goon to do the same.

Kachunkachunk
Jun 6, 2011
Blaming your team for your shortcomings is very BF!

And I'm really looking forward to this! The hype for 2042 has also somewhat revived an interest in BF4, including among some of my old BF-playing friends. We get wrecked a lot and seemingly I'm 75% of the time on the losing side. Maybe I smell, or I'm just that bad, or it's both.

We played for a few weeks recently, and as I knifed a friend, he noticed the Cosby emblem (yikes).
Days later, I went to change it over to the personal emblem of my late cockatiel again (RIP, little terror), but looks like the platoon leader already made the change to an SA grenade and stuff. Sort of an FYI, in case anyone else remembers and wanted to go in and change theirs to anything else - it's changed for good reasons, but also I've heard EA banning Origin accounts for less. Best be safe.

Anyway, maybe the new Goon platoon emblem should totally be :frogout: again!

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

Duck_King posted:

Hahah I remember this dude.

I remember during another round where he claimed i was running a "damage mod" with my aircraft loadouts since I was killing infantry too quickly.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I can't wait for 24/7 Future-Metro

(unironically)

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

The only part of Metro I didn’t care for was when a vote server where I was having a good time would land on metro and then just get locked to metro for like four hours.

Guys, there are tons of 24/7 map servers, stop it. It’s not fun.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

On a whim I reinstalled BF3 a few years ago and it was a shock to see how much of a difference the side doors in the subway tunnel which were added in BF4 made. I'm not sure how anyone ever made it up the stairs on a Metro server in BF3. I mean, I did, repeatedly so it was obviously doable, but man..

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

I prefer Metro to Locker and hope that when they eventually remake one for 2042 it’ll be Metro. Give it some sunken portions due to climate change or something. Waterfall down the escalators.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Locker was the one with the Panopticon, right?

That one was okay because there were means of flanking.

I would argue that Fao Fortress is the most godawful BF map in ages due to the whole “every ridge has 6 snipers on it” motif.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Still swinging wildly between "I am here to kick rear end and kick rear end and I'm all out of rear end" and "how do I play this game" after like ten years

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

Gonz posted:

Locker was the one with the Panopticon, right?

That one was okay because there were means of flanking.

I would argue that Fao Fortress is the most godawful BF map in ages due to the whole “every ridge has 6 snipers on it” motif.

Fao Fortress is bad but it's not even the worst map in BF1. That honor goes to launch Suez Canal and later to Galicia.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Legoland Blight straight up kills servers when it shows up

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Inspector Hound posted:

Still swinging wildly between "I am here to kick rear end and kick rear end and I'm all out of rear end" and "how do I play this game" after like ten years

Saaaame. BF3's probably my most played game in the series, followed by 4 and BC2, but I still feel like absolute garbage at 4 unless I'm doing awful things with shotguns.

I think my least played Battlefield is V. What an unplayable hot mess of a game.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

jisforjosh posted:

Fao Fortress is bad but it's not even the worst map in BF1. That honor goes to launch Suez Canal and later to Galicia.

Christ, those are awful, too.

I’d be down for a modern remake of Gulf of Oman, or perhaps Road to Jalalabad.

There were several BF3 maps i’m thinking of, too, but I can’t remember their names.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Gonz posted:

I’d be down for a modern remake of Gulf of Oman, or perhaps Road to Jalalabad.

My top three requests for 2042 remakes are Gulf of Oman , Rogue Transmission, and Strike at Karkand.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Where’s my Kubra Dam, Mashtuur City remakes? Come on now

toggle fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Jul 11, 2021

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I might be the only person to enjoy Wake Island but I'm also an oddball because my first ever Battlefield was BF1943, only then followed by BC2 and onto BF3.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Dear EA/DICE & Pals,

Allow me to beach an aircraft carrier again.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Martytoof posted:

I might be the only person to enjoy Wake Island but I'm also an oddball because my first ever Battlefield was BF1943, only then followed by BC2 and onto BF3.

I've been on battlefield since 1942 and Wake is still one of my fav maps. It's just really fun, and having the controllable ships in 1942 was also really cool.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

Kachunkachunk posted:

Anyway, maybe the new Goon platoon emblem should totally be :frogout: again!

They dont do lcustom emblems any more unfortunately. Too many dicks and swastikas I guess.

Kachunkachunk
Jun 6, 2011
Ah, it's for the best.

Lore-wise, it's probably too early to see Titan combat again in 2042, but that was a game mode I played a ton of, in 2142. Hope to see these eventually.

... a tornado vs Titan could be interesting, too.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Kazinsal posted:

Saaaame. BF3's probably my most played game in the series, followed by 4 and BC2, but I still feel like absolute garbage at 4 unless I'm doing awful things with shotguns.

I think my least played Battlefield is V. What an unplayable hot mess of a game.

I finally got Battlelog to work for a minute and saw that I'm in Division 1 in the world for a bunch of stuff, revives, repairs, even LMG kills, then I discovered that "Division 1" means a number anywhere between 1,000 and infinity, so I'm still bad. I do have ~4,500 M249 kills, I guess I was pretty good at that for a while

Kachunkachunk
Jun 6, 2011
That's a sizeable village of victims with the M249. Also does your division rank reset back to 1 over time? That may be it.

That reminds me, force-feeding my buddies with screenshots and links to their BF stats definitely helped drag them back into the depths of Battlefield 4 addiction. A+, will do it again!

Live At Five!
Feb 15, 2008

Inspector Hound posted:

I finally got Battlelog to work for a minute and saw that I'm in Division 1 in the world for a bunch of stuff, revives, repairs, even LMG kills, then I discovered that "Division 1" means a number anywhere between 1,000 and infinity, so I'm still bad. I do have ~4,500 M249 kills, I guess I was pretty good at that for a while

This made me wonder what my most used BF1 weapon was and I have 4,500 kills with the Lebel infantry plus 2,000 frommer stop kills. That combo was so fun to run and gun with.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008
I’ve just now started paying attention to this. If this is more like BF4 than the current garbage I’m all for it.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

Rhymenoserous posted:

I’ve just now started paying attention to this. If this is more like BF4 than the current garbage I’m all for it.

Setting/gadegt/weapons wise it's going to be more like BF4 but mechanics wise it's more like BF1/V

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

Hopper posted:

They dont do lcustom emblems any more unfortunately. Too many dicks and swastikas I guess.

https://www.reddit.com/r/battlefield2042/comments/ohhocv/i_hope_coustom_emblems_return_in_battlefield_2042/

Perfect example!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"
More Battlefield V

https://streamable.com/sl6a41

https://streamable.com/r7htne