Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Random Stranger posted:

That's not "too deep". You don't even have the pocketwatch.

Just wait on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

Phantasium posted:

Yeah, but you don't start with the warp, and there's a healthy gap between the last town that sells those items and when you can warp whenever.

Specifics: They have them in Winlan, and you pass through/by that town a bunch in the beginning part of the game. By the time you're ready to cross the river to Auria, you should have enough GP to buy a big stack of them which will hold you until you get Warp. If you do it right, you never have to fight a random encounter and you can beat the game in a few hours. This requires you to already know where you're going, of course, so it's not quite that easy for your first playthrough.

worms butthole guy
Jan 29, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

Worth it?

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Fixins posted:

Worth it?

Hell no, look how little cartridge is inside there. Seems like a terrible value if you ask me

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

You could buy that game. Or you could buy five brontosaurus ribs at the drive in.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Yabba Dabba Don’t spend that much on a video game

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Yabba Dabba Don’t spend that much on a video game

Right?

I mean if it was sealed and graded,

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

Fixins posted:

Worth it?

If I would theoretically spend that much for a video game, I'd prefer no/damaged label than a reproduction on an original cart.

As someone who collects a bit, I kind of hate that I have to even worry about fake boxes/labels/manuals. It's easy to check a games board to find out if it's authentic, but not as easy with everything else. Though it would do absolutely nothing since other countries would just make repros regardless, I kind of wish there was some law requiring a mark identifying reproduction products.

So anytime I buy any retro games I almost always prefer something that looks appropriately aged than a "like new" looking NES box even if it is original.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

LODGE NORTH posted:

I'm in too deep

Are you using a Titan to get that working with the new game?

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Fixins posted:

Worth it?

I've paid way too much for games in the past few months, so I totally get wanting to pay for a big collection item. That one, I'd pass on.

First, when I'm shelling out that much, I want it with the original label. I'd be willing to pay a little more for a roughed up cart with an original label. When you're getting into high end items like this, you're paying for condition and watch for that.

Second, unless you're gunning for a complete set or have real fondness for the game and want it a collection capstone, don't spend that much on a video game. And going for a set is really stupid (he said while going for a set). It's a bad purchase unless you're in a very particular group of crazy people.

Third, and I'm getting deep into my own opinions here, I'm expecting NES cart prices to fall back a bit. If you think you should spend that much because it'll just be more expensive later or because you think you'll be able to resell it, get ready for prices to go down. So I think someone in the market for a Flintstones cart would be better off waiting a few months anyway.

katkillad2 posted:

As someone who collects a bit, I kind of hate that I have to even worry about fake boxes/labels/manuals. It's easy to check a games board to find out if it's authentic, but not as easy with everything else. Though it would do absolutely nothing since other countries would just make repros regardless, I kind of wish there was some law requiring a mark identifying reproduction products.

So anytime I buy any retro games I almost always prefer something that looks appropriately aged than a "like new" looking NES box even if it is original.

When I bought Recca and Gimmick a few months back, I was really concerned with fakes. Especially since you can't really pop open Famicom carts to see the board. So I looked for wear, especially wear in a recognizable pattern. If I could have found copies with second hand store labels or a name written on the back, I probably would have gone with that since that's not something forgers usually go for. I bought copies that weren't in the best condition, but I could be pretty confident that they were real.

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Jul 11, 2021

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Teenage Fansub posted:

Are you using a Titan to get that working with the new game?

Sure am. Titan Two paired with an Arduino using this guide (mostly). Ran into problems, so I followed Yamanote's video on YouTube and everything was smooth from there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fRPAxLe9h7w

I thought it would be hectic and everything, but I just have to start the PS5 (really just the game, but it's easier if I just start the whole PS5) with the PS4 controller that's plugged into the Titan Two, start the game, and then plug in the Titan Two to the PS5. I use an extension cable for the jumper cables and also a USB extension cable out the PS5. Basically, just connect the Titan Two to the extension cable that's plugged into the PS5 after starting the game.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
I feel like the thread needs this right now;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-hZkA_kfd0

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

You Am I posted:

So frustrated at the moment, been trying to get a Hexen DVD to work on my modded OG Xbox so I can format and setup the new HDD.

Tried the new version of Hexen, no go, drive will start to read the burnt DVD but go nowhere. Same when I tried a copy of Hexen 2018.

Do the Thomson drives have issues with burnt DL DVDs? The drive reads game discs fine, and I did burn the DVDs at the slowest speed

Original Xbox drives other than the Samsung one are absolutely abysmal at reading burned media.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

finally, objective proof that the snes was cooler

https://twitter.com/vg_history/status/1414062696891174913?s=21

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

hatty posted:

BoF2 I remember being alright too. It had a cool fusion system at least

Wrong on both parts.

Vanilla BoF2 has a famously bad translation. You could play the game with the retranslation patch, but then you still have to deal with the too many random encounters / never enough money so get ready to grind combo of doom.

BoF3 has the cool fusion system. The dragon spells in BoF2 are hilariously bad because they overcorrected from how good they were in the first game - now you blow all you MP on a single hit.

But really it's the grinding that kills that game. I tried to go through it a couple of weeks ago and had to give up about 1/3 through.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well
So i'm playing through Chrono Trigger for the first time, and got to the End of Time. The first gate I went through was 2300 a.d, but basically reached a dead end. Is there a specific order you should do the gates in, or should I just gently caress around until I figure it out? I'm realizing I have way less patience than I did when I was a 13 year old with zero responsibilities.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Go to the dino age.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Detective No. 27 posted:

Go to the dino age.

and be prepared to meet the best character

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

You came from 2300 AD to get to the End Of Time in the first place. Go to somewhere you haven't been.

I think that you're supposed to go to Medina Village after talking to the white fuzzy guy.

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

Weedle posted:

finally, objective proof that the snes was cooler

https://twitter.com/vg_history/status/1414062696891174913?s=21

Wow, even the stubble is censored in SNES land.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Ornamented Death posted:

Wrong on both parts.

Vanilla BoF2 has a famously bad translation. You could play the game with the retranslation patch, but then you still have to deal with the too many random encounters / never enough money so get ready to grind combo of doom.

BoF3 has the cool fusion system. The dragon spells in BoF2 are hilariously bad because they overcorrected from how good they were in the first game - now you blow all you MP on a single hit.

But really it's the grinding that kills that game. I tried to go through it a couple of weeks ago and had to give up about 1/3 through.
I played through 1-4 early last year and 2 was definitely the roughest. The encounter rate and the grind wore me down much more than the others, and even the systems that were neat ideas (the city building and the shaman fusion) were rough ideas that would be iterated on in future titles (faerie towns and the Master system) - or in the case of fusion, had already been implemented better in BoF1. Actually the game was a backslide from 1 in other ways too, your B-string party members still gained full exp even if they never saw battle (or spent most of their time fused into Karn) and could be swapped in or out of the party at any time. I'd much rather revisit 1 than 2, but 3 (my personal favorite) and 4 are way better.

frogbs posted:

So i'm playing through Chrono Trigger for the first time, and got to the End of Time. The first gate I went through was 2300 a.d, but basically reached a dead end. Is there a specific order you should do the gates in, or should I just gently caress around until I figure it out? I'm realizing I have way less patience than I did when I was a 13 year old with zero responsibilities.
The destination for a gate you've just used is diametrically opposite the origin in the End of Time, so since you came through the 2300 AD gate, check out the one on the opposite side.

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future
I played about 10-15 hours of BOF V Dragon Quarter a few months back and that game is cool as heck.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Pegnose Pete posted:

I played about 10-15 hours of BOF V Dragon Quarter a few months back and that game is cool as heck.

:yeah:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nv1vg5zmYw0

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Melman v2
Y'all know what the best looking console is and there is no contest

ExcessBLarg! posted:

How much tolerance do you have for 8/16-bit game design?

If "low", start with Zero Mission.

If "high", maybe give NES Metroid a try. You don't have to beat it, but play for a half hour or hour even, as long as you can tolerate, then move on to Super Metroid. Zero Mission is a great game, but it brings in a lot of "modern" stuff like objective markers that even Super Metroid doesn't have, and there's really nothing like the experience of playing OG or even Super Metroid and being stranded on an alien world with absolutely no idea what to do next.

Ofecks posted:

NES (or maybe FDS so you don't have to deal with passwords) -> GB -> SNES -> GBA -> Prime series

Code Jockey posted:

Having save games, or using savestates would make the original Metroid a lot easier to get into, for sure.

Yeah, agreed. Super Metroid is a masterpiece, but I'd recommend some version of the original first.
I agree that everyone should play some of the original Metroid but I will say no one should start with it, let alone try to finish it. It's not like the original SMB or even the original Zelda, it's got some real problems that can't be ameliorated or fixed without a real redesign.

This is what Zero Mission is, and why it's great to start with. And the best part is, when you finish it, you unlock the original NES Metroid!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l0kKs3K7RiE

Then you can play it for a while to appreciate the changes made and how well the original does to create mood and atmosphere with very limited resources, but you don't have to finish it or feel like you are missing anything.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Just a shame about the rest of the Pippin really.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Pegnose Pete posted:

I wish Scenario Overlay had become a whole style of games instead of just being limited to BoF V and Dead Rising. Roguelite stuff scratches a similar itch but I want more linear RPG-ish games that let you go New Game Plus a couple hours in if you want.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I feel like the thread needs this right now;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-hZkA_kfd0

That's actually the same song from the old commercials...

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

The United States posted:

I agree that everyone should play some of the original Metroid but I will say no one should start with it, let alone try to finish it.
That's why I caveated my statement with a tolerance for old design.

It's not like the original SMB or even the original Zelda, it's got some real problems that can't be ameliorated or fixed without a real redesign.
Having save states/rewind helps with some issues like restarting with 30 HP when you die (rewind to avoid cheap deaths). Personally I wouldn't play NES Metroid on hardware these days but in the NSO app on the Switch, sure.

This is what Zero Mission is, and why it's great to start with. And the best part is, when you finish it, you unlock the original NES Metroid!
The emulated Metroid on GBA isn't really a great way to play it, but that aside the issue with going back to NES Metroid after playing Zero Mission is you already know what to do and where to go. It's just not the same experience as starting off in this alien world with absolutely no idea what to do next.

That said, I wouldn't want someone to play NES Metroid first because "they're told to" and get turned off from the series due to its dated design. I'm just saying that if Old Games are your thing (and they probably are if you're in this thread) it might be worth giving the 1987 Metroid experience a brief try.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

If you're going to play NES Metroid use the romhack that spawns you with full health.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

This might be an unexpected New Popular Thing. My only evidence is getting lost myself in hardware restoration videos like this one (which also seems to have an ASMR angle, but isn't explicitly labeled as such):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BzalwBeV_O0

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008

LODGE NORTH posted:

I'm in too deep

Comfy looking setup I love it

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Ofecks posted:

This might be an unexpected New Popular Thing. My only evidence is getting lost myself in hardware restoration videos like this one (which also seems to have an ASMR angle, but isn't explicitly labeled as such):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BzalwBeV_O0

Pretty cool. Restoration vids have been pretty popular with antique items, but it's nice to see more modern resto vids.

The one thing I personally don't like is the genre as a whole has tended towards no voiceovers, with maybe a bit of text at time explaining something. I get people like them as a chill out vids, but personally a lot of the time I'd just love them to go into loads of detail on what they're doing or thinking during each step of the process.

Kid Fenris
Jan 22, 2004

If someone is reading this...
I must have failed.

Random Stranger posted:

The thing I remember about Breath of Fire 2 is that the catgirl had a Donald Duck thing going on where she wore a shirt and no pants and that made me go :crossarms: . I get "why" someone made that character design choice (:furcry:), but I just don't know why that character design went forward without anybody going, "Hold on a second..."

The year before Breath of Fire II, Capcom got away with putting a completely naked catgirl in an arcade game that children of all ages could presumably see, so that envelope was already pushed pretty far.

katkillad2 posted:

If I would theoretically spend that much for a video game, I'd prefer no/damaged label than a reproduction on an original cart.

Japanese Mega Drive games are among the most frustrating things to check for authenticity, because you can't open the cartridge without peeling up or otherwise destroying the rear label.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

Fantastic Foreskin posted:

If you're going to play NES Metroid use the romhack that spawns you with full health.

nah, that's just rewarding failure

Oyster
Nov 11, 2005

I GOT FLAT FEET JUST LIKE MY HERO MEGAMAN
Total Clam
What's everyone's preferred organizational methods? I recently had to downsize and I'm realizing the stacks of GB/A/3/DS/Game Gear games on the bookshelf just aren't sustainable.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

i have way way way too many games to fit on shelves so like 3/4 of my collection is just in boxes

ain't got room to put 60 complete-in-box intellivision games on a shelf gently caress that

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!
All of my loose GB/C/A cartridges are kept in a organizer drawer, with the drawer below that holding various handhelds. I had to build a separate shelf for all my CIB NES/SNES/N64 games, although I'm at that point where I'm just contemplating putting everything in storage bins.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Oyster posted:

What's everyone's preferred organizational methods? I recently had to downsize and I'm realizing the stacks of GB/A/3/DS/Game Gear games on the bookshelf just aren't sustainable.

I use storage bins for my Famicom stuff, kept in chronological order since that's the order I'm playing them in (time to play Zoids... lucky me). I do keep a lot of my disk based stuff on shelves because it's easier for me to organize it that way. I've tried organizing my GameBoy stuff in binders but I'm not completely satisfied with that.

I've kicked around other storage concepts in my head; things like library shelves or specimen drawers. I don't think I'll be implementing anything like that soon, though.

Kid Fenris posted:

The year before Breath of Fire II, Capcom got away with putting a completely naked catgirl in an arcade game that children of all ages could presumably see, so that envelope was already pushed pretty far.

I think that's actually kind of better. At least there you have some consistency in the character design. Shirt with no pants is just weird.

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Jul 11, 2021

frh
Dec 6, 2014

Hire Kenny G to play for me in the elevator.
why did a sealed mario 64 just sell for over a million dollars? There's a couple on ebay for a tenth of that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Because professional speculators are moving from comics to games and they're all idiots with too much money who think people actually care about tiny packaging differences or boxes still having the Toys R Us hook on it.