Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Fear Street makes me feel old not only because I graduated in 94, but I was skeeved out at Kate making out with Josh, because I thought he was a child but hey, they're both the same age.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Medullah posted:

Fear Street makes me feel old not only because I graduated in 94, but I was skeeved out at Kate making out with Josh, because I thought he was a child but hey, they're both the same age.

Wait, they were supposed to be the same age?

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
I assumed she's a year or two older since he's in high school too.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

lament.cfg posted:

Wait, they were supposed to be the same age?

Well a year apart, I meant in real life.

lament.cfg posted:

Either way yeah, Josh felt like a legitimate child and Kate felt like a 20-something playing a teen like all the teen shows.

yeah this is it exactly

Medullah fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Jul 9, 2021

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Either way yeah, Josh felt like a legitimate child and Kate felt like a 20-something playing a teen like all the teen shows.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker

10 Beers posted:

Terminator 2 is on Netflix and it's still pretty fun.

I think it holds up 100%. I'm continually amazed at how tight the script is even for minor poo poo.

Completely unimportant to the plot, but as I was watching it the other day I noticed this: The scene where Arnold first kneecaps the psych hospital gate guard, they show John steal 2 clips of ammo from the guard in a 2 second shot. Several minutes later they actually stick to it and John says "Last one" after giving Sarah the second reload.

Only part they hosed up was deleting the smile scene. Originally I just thought "haha funny" but it actually nicely sets up the moment when Arnold correctly smiles after picking up the minigun at Enrique's.

I'm assuming I don't have to put spoilers tags for this movie.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

The deleted scenes in T2 bring a lot to the movie. I actually took a film class years and years ago and it was an example movie we studied. There's a cut scene at the end where the T1000 is walking in the factory and looks down to see his foot has changed to match the platform he was on, showing that he's starting to malfunction, which makes the follow up of him being unable to put himself back together after getting hit with the grenade launcher, despite being able to do it from worse earlier, explained better.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
If Fear Street 1994 leaned hard into the 90s nostalgia, Fear Street 1978 leaned hard into the slasher films of the 70s and 80s. Considerably more brutal, but also a pretty fun ride with a nice twist.

The pacing gets shot straight to hell at the very end when they come back to the 1994 plotline, but that's forgivable.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker

Medullah posted:

The deleted scenes in T2 bring a lot to the movie. I actually took a film class years and years ago and it was an example movie we studied. There's a cut scene at the end where the T1000 is walking in the factory and looks down to see his foot has changed to match the platform he was on, showing that he's starting to malfunction, which makes the follow up of him being unable to put himself back together after getting hit with the grenade launcher, despite being able to do it from worse earlier, explained better.

I actually think you've got that slightly wrong - I guess I'll spoiler it, it's meant to demonstrate that extreme heat is a vulnerability that could ultimately kill him. The 1000 would have survived the grenade blast for sure but it made him so lopsided that when he turned he fell over into the molten steel. He survived a giant semi truck explosion, if you recall..

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

It's a pretty good kill considering most of the others are stabs to the torso. I liked the axe to the head from off screen that follows it too.

It was a good surprise because I thought the character killed was going to survive. I thought it was establishing a group of Stranger Things / IT kids that would fight the evil witch in the return to 94 at the end of the trilogy. During which some of them might die, but I gave them good odds until then.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
The freezing is implied to have damaged the T-1000 as well. I think the only thing left in the theatrical cut is that he has a “ripple” when he pauses to look around (which can also come off as annoyance). His hand also gets momentarily fused to a railing without his intent, and I think the foot thing was how John figures out which Sarah is the real one.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

So his in the future daughter just developed acid?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Glottis posted:

I actually think you've got that slightly wrong - I guess I'll spoiler it, it's meant to demonstrate that extreme heat is a vulnerability that could ultimately kill him. The 1000 would have survived the grenade blast for sure but it made him so lopsided that when he turned he fell over into the molten steel. He survived a giant semi truck explosion, if you recall..

I could be wrong, that makes sense as well.

david_a posted:

The freezing is implied to have damaged the T-1000 as well. I think the only thing left in the theatrical cut is that he has a “ripple” when he pauses to look around (which can also come off as annoyance). His hand also gets momentarily fused to a railing without his intent, and I think the foot thing was how John figures out which Sarah is the real one.

Oh! This is the scene I was thinking of.

Winkle-Daddy
Mar 10, 2007
I'm pretty mad that The Tomorrow War takes a badass Philip K Dick-like premise of alleged time travelers from the future conscripting civilians into a war that only a handful return from and worse, no direct evidence of what's happening can be brought back. there's so much great pulpy scifi to explore there, and now that premise is forever tainted by movie that had 3 good ideas, and instead of making any of those movies made one long lovely boring movie with cool creatures.

it was pretty funny when Chris Pratt was like "I'll never leave my family!" but we all know he did IRL to bang a Schwarzenegger daughter and join some gay hating church.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Glottis posted:

Funny thing is, both of you are right

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZNE637BeEI&t=286s

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Medullah posted:

yeah this threw me off too I thought he was supposed to be like 12 lol.

deathrat
May 25, 2010
If anyone is looking for a cute cartoon, my girlfriend and I have been watching "The Owl House" on Disney+ when we're wanting to change it up with something more lighthearted. I'm surprised by how little I've heard about it, with how watchable it is.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way

veni veni veni posted:

yeah this threw me off too I thought he was supposed to be like 12 lol.

Dude has the face of a 13-year-old but the chest hair of a middle-aged man.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

If you liked I Think You Should Leave season 1 you will like 2. And if you’ve never seen it give it a go. Each episode is like 15 minutes so it’s a low time risk

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

George H.W. oval office posted:

If you liked I Think You Should Leave season 1 you will like 2. And if you’ve never seen it give it a go. Each episode is like 15 minutes so it’s a low time risk

It disturbs me to my core that they did the best sketch in the end of the first episode of the first season. They will never top it.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

MiddleOne posted:

It disturbs me to my core that they did the best sketch in the end of the first episode of the first season. They will never top it.

The courtroom hat sketch in season 2 got me so bad I was crying so I'm going to have to disagree with you there. Mud pie was really good though.

Staged came out a while ago on hulu, probably whatever streaming thingy the BBC has if you're in the uk? but I haven't seen anyone mention it. It's a show about a play with David Tennant and Michael Sheen getting cancelled due to covid so they rehearse the play over video chat. Really well done and Sheen and Tennant are hilarious.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I watched half an episode of I think you should leave when it came out, and decided it was a post tim and eric randooommm thing and just turned it off. But I checked out season 2 cause why not, and it's pretty great. Watched both seasons in a few days. I think season 1 is better but they are both good.

I knew well in advance I had probably misjudged it though, because people had linked the Fred Willard Organ sketch and Hotdog man in the interim.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I'm having a ball watching King Hu movies on the Criterion Channel. Just a fantastic Chinese film director, did a lot of beautiful wuxia in the 60s and 70s.
Dragon Inn, Raining in the Mountain, A Touch of Zen, just finished the wonderful The Fate of Lee Khan. Really non-stop kung fu fun, honestly his best paced film.
If you're looking for a super fun 105 minutes of action, stylish Mongols, and entertaining spectacle, this is my best recommendation. One of my favorite movies of the last couple years. I was going to start watching The Tomorrow War but the idea of Chris Pratt was just so overwhelmingly bland that I never started it and I'm glad.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cEwZK9AJgmo

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

I Think Your Should Leave hit me really hard because literally the week before it came out I got super pissed because someone scheduled a meeting during lunch and my coworkers were making fun of me for being angry about it.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Going from Difficult People to Taboo certainly is a U-turn.

Medullah posted:

I Think Your Should Leave hit me really hard because literally the week before it came out I got super pissed because someone scheduled a meeting during lunch and my coworkers were making fun of me for being angry about it.

Should have sleeved a dog

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

One skit I haven't heard people talk about much that was great is the one where the guy is trying to sing a country song while the other guy is winging some song about skeletons coming to life.

Ive had the most heinous ear worm the last day of "THE BONES ARE THEIR MONEY AND SO ARE THE WORMS"

crimedog
Apr 1, 2008

Yo, dog.
You dead, dog.
The best is the first sketch of S1E1 and it's all downhill from there.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker

veni veni veni posted:

One skit I haven't heard people talk about much that was great is the one where the guy is trying to sing a country song while the other guy is winging some song about skeletons coming to life.

Ive had the most heinous ear worm the last day of "THE BONES ARE THEIR MONEY AND SO ARE THE WORMS"

best part of that is
"Billy as in me or Billy as in him?"
"You're also named Billy?"
"No, that's why I'm so loving confused"

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Barb and Star Go to Vista Del Mar is now on Hulu and it's an incredibly stupid fun enjoyable movie.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Glottis posted:

best part of that is
"Billy as in me or Billy as in him?"
"You're also named Billy?"
"No, that's why I'm so loving confused"

Haha yes. That was the perfect cherry on top

Just watched Lynn Sheltons final movie, Sword Of Trust Netflix. Highly recommend.

Alec Eiffel
Sep 7, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Barb and Star Go to Vista Del Mar is now on Hulu and it's an incredibly stupid fun enjoyable movie.

Barb and Star probably took the hardest, sharpest turn of any movie ever right at the beginning.

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

I watched Terminator 2 for the first time in a while. That's a good movie! Scenes with the T-1000 seem almost dreamlike, because his abilities are so strange and they're revealed slowly. In his first scene, you don't see any liquid metal. Later, it seems like Arnold easily beats him, and then he just heals the bullet holes. Later on, we see what appears to be the foster mother with a knife arm, killing the foster dad. It must have been a trip for first-time viewers!

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker

DorianGravy posted:

I watched Terminator 2 for the first time in a while. That's a good movie! Scenes with the T-1000 seem almost dreamlike, because his abilities are so strange and they're revealed slowly. In his first scene, you don't see any liquid metal. Later, it seems like Arnold easily beats him, and then he just heals the bullet holes. Later on, we see what appears to be the foster mother with a knife arm, killing the foster dad. It must have been a trip for first-time viewers!

Yes and no. It was certainly novel, but this was also the age of trailers spoiling basically the whole movie. https://youtu.be/CRRlbK5w8AE

MajorBonnet
May 28, 2009

How did I get here?
I decided to watch Jennifer's Body since Megan Fox brought it back to the cultural consciousness. The title sounded very familiar, but I know I've never seen it and I have no recollection of this movie being released.

Overall, worth the watch. J.K. Simmons is almost unrecognizable in his small role. Amanda Seyfried does a great job and Megan Fox shows some range when the camera can stop being male gazey.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

Tagichatn posted:

Plus climate change is literally the thing that lets the aliens loose. The ice melts and the aliens defrost.

Which is strange because the inside of the ship wasn't frozen at all.

Very little about this movie made any sense at all. They didn't train the troops, including how to use a rifle or anything at all about their enemy or how to be a soldier, just threw them into the woodchipper without any actual goals.

Why didn't they kill the female after they got the 100% match? :effort:

It's comically stupid.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

crimedog posted:

The best is the first sketch of S1E1 and it's all downhill from there.

The unbroken eye contact, the back and forth cuts, the saliva

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---

MiddleOne posted:

What sketch was this?

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

shut up blegum posted:

What sketch was this?

That’s The Gift Receipt

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Boxman posted:

That’s The Gift Receipt

You think you know where it's going and then it rips the rug out from under you, stabs you in the throat and gives a Columbian necktie.

The music sting at the end especially just :discourse:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

MajorBonnet posted:

I decided to watch Jennifer's Body since Megan Fox brought it back to the cultural consciousness. The title sounded very familiar, but I know I've never seen it and I have no recollection of this movie being released.

Overall, worth the watch. J.K. Simmons is almost unrecognizable in his small role. Amanda Seyfried does a great job and Megan Fox shows some range when the camera can stop being male gazey.

I haven't seen it, but is the camera really all male gazey? It was written and directed by women, not saying they can't/won't shoot that way but still surprising.