Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

fat bossy gerbil posted:

I’m looking for black comedies. Pitch black. The darkest of dark humor.

Just in case, gotta say Blue Velvet, Wild at Heart, some Lynch in general. Some of my fav stuff, covers a lot of bases, but dark humor is a big one. Blue Velvet is my favorite movie, and it was kinda fun seeing it with laughs at a local theater one time too.

Repo Man (1984), maybe not that dark, but it's kind of a gritty offbeat comedy that rules. Coen brothers, stuff like A Serious Man felt like a pretty dark black comedy.

It's interesting defining some stuff, since some of it is about expectations, and how you interpret the tone. And there are so many genre mashups. And if it's so dark and somber that it's not really funny, for me, it feels more like an offbeat thriller or drama. It's like mixing the perfect genre milkshake, it's a chef endeavor.

Rewatching Blade Runner recently, that definitely has some dark humor in it. At least, it's a dark movie that has humor in the tone at times. Noir itself involves a lot of sardonic humor.

To make things more confusing for me (pardon my ramble here), I notice they often don't include comedy in the genres on imdb, wikipedia etc for movies where it should be there. Shadow of the Vampire for example, very good dark comedy. It's so clear in the tone that comedy is a big part of the mix. Though it's on user lists for dark comedies etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Young Adult is a terrific underseen black comedy with a couple of fantastic lead performances.

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.

regulargonzalez posted:

After Hours
The King of Comedy

Nice choices here.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Doesn't get much darker than late 90s indies like Happiness or In The Company of Men.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

fat bossy gerbil posted:

I’m looking for black comedies. Pitch black. The darkest of dark humor.
Shiva Baby, The Heartbreak Kid, and a bonus pitch black humorous TV show: Patriot.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

Raspberry Bang posted:

I’m looking for a good heist film. Something with some clever planning, suspenseful execution, and not too obvious twist as a bonus.

Heist movies I’ve enjoyed:

Oceans eleven
Snatch
lock stock
Robbery
The bank job
The Sting

Sneakers

My voice is my passport

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Now we are all sons of bitches.
Hell Gem

Origami Dali posted:

Doesn't get much darker than late 90s indies like Happiness or In The Company of Men.

These are great selections. I love In The Company of Men. Really, any of LaBute’s earlier stuff would work.

Raspberry Bang
Feb 14, 2007

Origami Dali posted:

Came here to post both of these!

Roumba
Jun 29, 2005
Buglord
Death of Stalin and Shaun of the Dead are more dry than dark, if I'm understanding the terms correctly?

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
I Saw The Devil

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.

Raspberry Bang posted:

I’m looking for a good heist film. Something with some clever planning, suspenseful execution, and not too obvious twist as a bonus.

Oceans eleven
Snatch
lock stock
Robbery
The bank job
The Sting

The Score (the one with DeNiro)
The Italian Job (both versions)
Widows
The Thomas Crown Affair (the remake)
Topkapi
Ronin (sorta counts but this movie rules hard)
Thief
Entrapment

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

Raspberry Bang posted:

Oceans eleven
Snatch
lock stock
Robbery
The bank job
The Sting

Seconding Logan Lucky. It's one of my favorite films of all time.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Human Tornada posted:

The Score (the one with DeNiro)
The Italian Job (both versions)
Widows
The Thomas Crown Affair (the remake)
Topkapi
Ronin (sorta counts but this movie rules hard)
Thief
Entrapment

The Korean move Thieves is a fun one in the vein of the Ocean's movies

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Medieval adventure movies from 70s onward? Cool exciting accessible I guess 70s and onward medieval movies? Or renaissance or whatever, anything with swords. Knights are especially cool though. European history and whatnot. Preferably with a bit of an adventure vibe to it, not too cold or detached feeling. Fantasy elements are also ok, but I figure that's largely it's own genre, and I'm more covered on that end of it.

I've seen the fantasy stuff like Conan, Excalibur, and Beastmaster. I've seen some well done historical movies like The Duellists set a bit later. I've heard Kingdom of Heaven's longer version is good, gonna try that. Flesh + Blood is a good one. Feels like I'm missing some cool ones in this area though.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Jun 26, 2021

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Sounds like you need to do a deep-dive on Robin Hood and/or King Arthur. The Robin of Sherwood TV show is pretty great. Lancelot du Lac is terrific. It's a deep rabbit hole and really depends on your tastes, but each has a lot to mine.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

It predates the 70s by a few years, but check out Youssef Chahine's Saladin the Victorious, which tells the story of the Third Crusade from a perspective you generally don't see in the West.

feedmyleg posted:

Lancelot du Lac is terrific.

It's an incredible film, but cool, exciting, and accessible are definitely not the words I'd use to describe it.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Yeah, that's fair. Arthur movies are tough to recommend if you don't know somebody's tastes because they're all over the map. So I figure, throw out my fav and see if it sticks.

Also, Robin and Marian might be your vibe.

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.
Ladyhawke maybe? Fantasy at its core, though.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
I enjoyed Centurion, tho that's late Roman empire so not quite the timeframe you're looking at

If you're more interested in people being cool with swords and axes and less with era, Valhalla Rising. Never can get enough Mads Mikkelsen

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Thanks for the recs! That Robin of Sherwood TV show looks pretty sweet. A bit of John Rhys-Davies too, always a bonus.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
It's good. If you're inclined to watch it all, go from the start. If you're just poking in to see if you dig it, check out The Swords of Wayland parts 1 and 2.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Heavy Metal posted:

Medieval adventure movies from 70s onward? Cool exciting accessible I guess 70s and onward medieval movies? Or renaissance or whatever, anything with swords. Knights are especially cool though. European history and whatnot. Preferably with a bit of an adventure vibe to it, not too cold or detached feeling. Fantasy elements are also ok, but I figure that's largely it's own genre, and I'm more covered on that end of it.

I've seen the fantasy stuff like Conan, Excalibur, and Beastmaster. I've seen some well done historical movies like The Duellists set a bit later. I've heard Kingdom of Heaven's longer version is good, gonna try that. Flesh + Blood is a good one. Feels like I'm missing some cool ones in this area though.

Willow!

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Will do! I've been meaning to watch that forever.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!
I cannot remember if I saw the recommendation here or not....but 'Dick' is a fun, funny, sweet movie about two ditsy, excitable teenage girls (Kirsten Dunst and Michelle Williams) who get wrapped up in the Nixon (Dan Hedaya) Watergate scandal. The secondary cast (Will Ferrell, Dave Foley, Jim Brewer, Ana Gasteyer, Ryan Reynolds, Ted McGinley, Bruce McCulloch) is pretty excellent and hilarious as well. Really, really liked this movie, and it's weird that it isn't more well known. I give this movie 85 tomatoes and only 15 green splats.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Hot drat that looks good. That trailer is rad, my goodness that cast indeed.

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008
Hi everyone! I am hoping to get some recommendations for movies that deal with any of the following:
  • A redemption journey arc involving substantial self-reflection and change
  • Losing everything and starting over with a new life
  • Coming to terms with learning to love oneself instead of comparing unrealistically to others

Thanks!

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Chef

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Looking for good movies set substantially in Denver or Seattle (not Sleepless in Seattle pls)

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Things to do in Denver when you're dead

Comedy "battlefield earth" option

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

Looking for good movies set substantially in Denver or Seattle (not Sleepless in Seattle pls)
10 Things I Hate About You, WarGames, Singles, Say Anything..., Streetwise, Police Beat, The Heart of the Game, Chronicle, Safety Not Guaranteed, House of Games.

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

The Changeling. Replicant (if you’re ok with set in Seattle but shot in Vancouver)

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Azhais posted:

Things to do in Denver when you're dead

Comedy "battlefield earth" option

There really aren't many Denver movies are there

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

There really aren't many Denver movies are there

Not really, you get a few more if you include Aspen. I can only conclude that Colorado doesn't give tax breaks to film companies

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!

Lastdancer posted:

Hi everyone! I am hoping to get some recommendations for movies that deal with any of the following:
  • A redemption journey arc involving substantial self-reflection and change
  • Losing everything and starting over with a new life
  • Coming to terms with learning to love oneself instead of comparing unrealistically to others

Thanks!

Dickie Roberts: Former Child Star?

magic cactus
Aug 3, 2019

We lied. We are not at war. There is no enemy. This is a rescue operation.
Howdy!

For some reason, I've taken to unwinding by re-watching Bi Gan's Long Day's Journey Into Night pretty much every night before I fall asleep. I really like the sort of metaphysical mystery/noir tone that reminds me a little bit of the works of David Lynch/the writings of Paul Auster/Borges, but I also really like how... hazy it feels? It kind of just drifts around and not a lot happens. I guess I'm looking for recommendations like that. Kind of slow drifting movies where the plot unfolds pretty slowly, if there's even a plot at all. Bonus if it's got some kind of broad metaphysical theme, but I don't think there's quite that many of those kinds of films out there.

Stuff I've seen that kind of scratches that itch:

Kaili Blues (same director. I also watched his short film the Poet and The Singer, but it didn't grab me as much. Loved Kaili Blues though)

Uncle Bonamee Who Can Recall Past Lives

Still Walking

Paris Texas

Stalker

Calendar (Atom Egoyan. I watched most of his other films and while good, this one I really enjoyed.)

I have Criterion, Netflix, and HBOMax, so if your recs could be on one of those three streaming services that would be awesome.

Thanks for any recs you guys can scrounge up for me!

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Now we are all sons of bitches.
Hell Gem
I haven’t seen it yet, but it sounds like The Wanting Mare might fit the bill. I’m very much looking forward to that one.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
I used to rewatch The Master a lot when I was looking for that vibe, though from your list I’m guessing you’ve already seen it

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Sounds like you'd be interested in slow cinema, a broad movement that emerged in the 60s and defines itself by many of the qualities you listed (long takes, little to no narrative, heavy emphasis on metaphysics and existentialism). There are far too many examples to list in a single post, but two early directors who did a lot to define the movement are Michelangelo Antonioni and Andrei Tarkovsky. Since you've already seen Stalker, I recommend L'avventura.

For a more recent take on slow cinema, check out the filmography of Tsai Ming-liang (Vive l'Amour and Goodbye Dragon Inn are good starting points).

Samuel Clemens fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Jul 14, 2021

magic cactus
Aug 3, 2019

We lied. We are not at war. There is no enemy. This is a rescue operation.

Thank you very much! I'll look into these post-haste.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Flowers of Shanghai immediately came to mind. Hardly any plot, gorgeously lit and filmed, I watched it when on painkillers recovering from surgery and it is the perfect narcotic haze movie.

E: The Turin Horse

regulargonzalez fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Jul 14, 2021