Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

feedmyleg posted:

Also the Barbie media, apparently—my 5 year old niece threw on a Barbie video while she was staying with me and I was pretty impressed with the messaging. It's still tied to decades of antifeminist damage, though.

True, but 21st century Barbie is wild compared to where it was:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9ahiHpM3yQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

FlamingLiberal posted:

So Greta Gerwig of all people is going to direct that Barbie movie with Margot Robbie. I'm really struggling to imagine what this is going to be like.

Cowritten by Noah Baumbach too holy poo poo.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

so if the barbie movie does well are we gonna get an American Girl movie made by Chloe Zhao

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

feedmyleg posted:

Also the Barbie media, apparently—my 5 year old niece threw on a Barbie video while she was staying with me and I was pretty impressed with the messaging. It's still tied to decades of antifeminist damage, though.

Hasn't that been a thing on and off for decades? IIRC there was a President Barbie in the 80s. Also, apparently the original Toy Story wanted to have a Sarah Connor/Ripley inspired Barbie but Mattel wasn't interested. (yes, they changed their tune quick for for the sequels)

Barbie and Ken in Toy Story 3 were... interesting. They almost stepped right out of a more family-friendly Robot Chicken short.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Mattel got dragged a bit semi-recently because there was a book where she was developing a video game, but just coming up with ideas while a couple guys did the programming. Bit of an implication there.

That’s all I know about Barbie. I haven’t seen Ladybird, but I did watch her version of Little Women back at Christmas. I guess some people didn’t like the interwoven time periods but I felt like the story might have dragged if it was in chronological order.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Mattel's historically been pretty poo poo on gender. The most notorious case that sticks to me was their disinterest in releasing toys of the women from Avatar: TLA (a wildly popular show where women make up an huge chunk of the main & supporting cast).

[Last I checked] Barbie sales have been slacking for a while with the loosening of gender roles though; more and more girls want to play with dinosaurs and superheroines, less changing a fake babies' diaper or 10 copies of a lady whos defining features are wearing clothes & having hair. Not that surprising that they're trying to shake things up and get with the times.

Neurolimal fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Jul 11, 2021

Come And See
Sep 15, 2008

We're all awash in a sea of blood, and the least we can do is wave to each other.

The Modern Leper posted:

As a Canadian this video left me confused, angry and scared.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

Come And See posted:

As a Canadian this video left me confused, angry and scared.

Sorry :(

... wait :doh:

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

The Modern Leper posted:

I am a man so I am clearly not the target audience but I definitely do this. I am very hesitant to stop however, mostly because I utterly despise the current culture of never apologizing and doubling down whenever you are wrong. “Confidence” is destroying humanity.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

https://twitter.com/FANGORIA/status/1412782144968142850?s=19

It's apparently based on an old Malaysian film featuring a were tiger, may be fun? And I assume they would do a bunch of practical effects, I think that what the fangoria fan base likes

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Neurolimal posted:

Mattel's historically been pretty poo poo on gender. The most notorious case that sticks to me was their disinterest in releasing toys of the women from Avatar: TLA (a wildly popular show where women make up an huge chunk of the main & supporting cast).

[Last I checked] Barbie sales have been slacking for a while with the loosening of gender roles though; more and more girls want to play with dinosaurs and superheroines, less changing a fake babies' diaper or 10 copies of a lady whos defining features are wearing clothes & having hair. Not that surprising that they're trying to shake things up and get with the times.

Do Mattel also make DC Superheroe Girls toys? Because those probably sell better.

Barbie also saw heavy competition from Bratz, which more openly promoted their diverse racial lineup, and Monster High which does that and also be cool vampires and werewolves.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Baron von Eevl posted:

He has low offense, sure, but his defense is through the roof.

edit I'm sorry but this reminds me, I saw the trailer for the new kingsmen prequel and I guess rasputin is a main antagonist with a bunch of fight scenes.

I saw it too, I figure it's never a good sign if half the trailer for the third movie of a franchise is just footage from the first movie.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

AceOfFlames posted:

I am a man so I am clearly not the target audience but I definitely do this. I am very hesitant to stop however, mostly because I utterly despise the current culture of never apologizing and doubling down whenever you are wrong. “Confidence” is destroying humanity.

Same. I'll reflexively apologize if I inconvenience someone, even if they're clearly in the wrong. Or at least say "are you okay?"

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
My son recently had a phase of watching Barbie shows, and Life In The Dreamhouse is actually a surprisingly amusing postmodern piss-take filled with for-the-parents jokes where the characters are all aware that they're dolls in a ridiculous cartoon satire on reality TV. (The other shows are bland as hell, though.)

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

AceOfFlames posted:

Rasputin really has this hold over the public consciousness because of his legend as the apparent mystical puppeteer behind the czar and his wife whereas the truth is that he was just a two bit con man who somehow managed to convince the royal family that he was the only thing keeping their kid from dying of hemophilia.

As far as ridiculous portrayals of him, nothing can beat Don Bluth's Anastasia for making him literally sell his soul for the magical power necessary to start the Russian Revolution just to get back at the Romanovs.

In Hellboy he’s an immortal wizard who summoned the Cthulhu that a rogue Satan created to destroy the universe and also the son of a rogue prince of hell who has the arm of a somewhat less rogue Satan that is the most powerful artifact in creation. He mainly did this to be an rear end in a top hat

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

The Saddest Rhino posted:

https://twitter.com/FANGORIA/status/1412782144968142850?s=19

It's apparently based on an old Malaysian film featuring a were tiger, may be fun? And I assume they would do a bunch of practical effects, I think that what the fangoria fan base likes

I thought I, Zombie was the first Fangoria film.

Come And See
Sep 15, 2008

We're all awash in a sea of blood, and the least we can do is wave to each other.

AceOfFlames posted:

Barbie has secretly been John Wayne all along.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Come And See posted:

Barbie has secretly been John Wayne all along.

Exactly. THAT attitude is what makes me sick. gently caress John Wayne and people like him for perpetuating it.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

ruddiger posted:

I thought I, Zombie was the first Fangoria film.

Shhhh, we don't talk about any other previous films that had Fangoria slapped on the cover because they were vaguely involved.

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Fuck yeah cinema is finally dead

davidspackage posted:

American soldier, smiling sardonically: "never thought I'd die fighting side by side with a terrorist."

He said soldiers from armies that won only.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

DeimosRising posted:

In Hellboy he’s an immortal wizard who summoned the Cthulhu that a rogue Satan created to destroy the universe and also the son of a rogue prince of hell who has the arm of a somewhat less rogue Satan that is the most powerful artifact in creation. He mainly did this to be an rear end in a top hat

This is substantially more interesting than ehat happened in the movie. Rasputin had the magical arm??

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Shageletic posted:

This is substantially more interesting than ehat happened in the movie. Rasputin had the magical arm??

Well he had a magical arm

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Which one is the magic one

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Payndz posted:

My son recently had a phase of watching Barbie shows, and Life In The Dreamhouse is actually a surprisingly amusing postmodern piss-take filled with for-the-parents jokes where the characters are all aware that they're dolls in a ridiculous cartoon satire on reality TV. (The other shows are bland as hell, though.)

Life in the Dreamhouse is the series I recommend all the time whenever Barbie talk arrives, it's hilarious and spoofs Barbie and reality shows, it's amazing they let it go on as long as they did. It is the measuring stick I will judge the Barbie movie against. Some of the various Barbie movies are okay but there are so many I haven't see.

LOL Surprise is another girl doll line that is big and I'm expecting a movie deal any day now, iirc the company behind Bratz owns them as well

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Didn't Bratz get shut down because of some copyright kerfuffle with Barbie?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Bury me with my magical arm

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Does remind me that I wondered if Hellboy came with a big right arm because of that big gauntlet thingy Rasputin wore while summoning him. Or possibly vice versa.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Ghost Leviathan posted:

One of the creators of Bratz used to work at Mattel so there were lawsuits back and forth for years as to whether or not there was any sort of infringement. Originally MGA was ordered to give literally everything including profits and IPs to Mattel, but then the verdict ping-ponged between courts until Mattel was ordered to pay $350 million to MGA instead. Problem was that the Bratz dolls kept getting pulled off the shelves every time a pro-Mattel verdict was reached and MGA eventually tried a complete redesign. Between that and the public perception that "Bratz stole from Barbie" because of the publicity surrounding the initial lawsuit, they last attempted to relaunch the line in 2016 and it failed. Oh, and they wasted money on a movie that had nothing to do with the toys.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Does remind me that I wondered if Hellboy came with a big right arm because of that big gauntlet thingy Rasputin wore while summoning him. Or possibly vice versa.

The gauntlet is Rasputin trying to imitate Hellboy’s power to open a door between worlds, which we see at the end of the movie uses his big stone arm.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Oh, and they wasted money on a movie that had nothing to do with the toys.
A movie staring Chet Hanks is no waste of money.

Come And See
Sep 15, 2008

I wouldn't call it a total waste

https://youtu.be/UmK0noqlnoQ

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Yes but then they came back then were discontinued again and then returned again. Bratz, definitely not herpes!

I will go on record and say the movie is okay, definitely better than the animated Bratz features, and also the four leads are still friends and still hang out all the time

Tars Tarkas fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Jul 12, 2021

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Shageletic posted:

Rasputin was summoning him to get the arm, or to convince him to use it, whichever. The movie is different in a few ways from the books, which are very long and evolve a lot over the ~25 or so years they were coming out. But the basic idea in the movie is the same. Hellboy’s father Azzael stole the arm, which imprisoned the Dragon of Revelation, and fused it to his half human child, who was supposed to use it to conquer Hell and begin the End. Which he does. Sort of.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Tars Tarkas posted:

I will go on record and say the movie is okay, definitely better than the animated Bratz features, and also the four leads are still friends and still hang out all the time

But that shitbag Jon Voight is in it, which makes it terrible by default.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

Nickelodeon movies news

quote:

Now, Robbins hopes to replicate the franchise strategy he employed to better position Nickelodeon to compete with Disney and Netflix in the ultra-competitive kids programming space. The exec, who developed Netflix’s To All the Boys franchise, Hulu’s PEN15, The CW’s Smallville and MTV YA pic Varsity Blues, plans to bring Nickelodeon back into the feature film business with new movies from LeBron James (Fantasy Football, starring Black-ish‘s Marsai Martin) and genre drama Hush, Hush set to bow in 2022 as part of a planned slate of a dozen features. While Fantasy Football and Hush, Hush are earmarked for Paramount+, Robbins says others — beyond the upcoming Paw Patrol and Seth Rogen’s Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles — will get a theatrical debut.

Building on his franchise strategy, former Nick hit The Fairly OddParents is coming back as a live-action series for Paramount+, where Robbins hopes it will also revive interest in the show’s library on the platform. (Don’t worry, some original stars from the animated original will return for the new take, which is already in production in L.A.) Also coming back is Blue’s Clues with an original animated movie — Blue’s Clues & You! — going into production this summer to mark the franchise’s 25th anniversary.
While it’s unclear where the new Blue’s Clues film will live, Robbins does plan to play more with windowing between Paramount+ and the linear network. To that end, JoJo Siwa’s live-action musical The J Team will make the move from Nickelodeon to Paramount+ for its Sept. 3 bow.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv-news/fairly-oddparents-revival-blues-clues-movie-nickelodeon-brian-robbins-1234979714/

There is already a trilogy of live-action The Fairly OddParents movies starring pedophile Drake Bell

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Tars Tarkas posted:

Nickelodeon movies news

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv-news/fairly-oddparents-revival-blues-clues-movie-nickelodeon-brian-robbins-1234979714/

There is already a trilogy of live-action The Fairly OddParents movies starring pedophile Drake Bell

I can't believe Blues Clues has been on TV for 25 years :aaaaa:

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

It was off the air for a decade or so before the current revival.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
The blues clues host did some Npr or standup bit where he talked about some milf taking him out to dinner but it was a bait and switch to pitch some script and he got recognized by an older couple the next table over who thought he was with a prostitute

So yeah hard Blues Clues when

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Alan Smithee posted:

The blues clues host did some Npr or standup bit where he talked about some milf taking him out to dinner but it was a bait and switch to pitch some script and he got recognized by an older couple the next table over who thought he was with a prostitute

So yeah hard Blues Clues when

"OK. First we draw a square. Then we draw a long line going all the way through it, making sure it comes out of both ends of the square. Now all we need in a small line along one of the ends of the long line and there we have it! Out first clue! A syringe full of heroin!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Detective No. 27 posted:

It was off the air for a decade or so before the current revival.

Okay, my point was more the shock that the property is that old now.

Which in turn means I am getting old :gbsmith: