Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
Road bike TT or TT-TT? Either way shouldn't be much more than 8 minutes or so.

bicievino posted:

Those aerocoach bars are hot as gently caress.

100% confirm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Road bike TT or TT-TT? Either way shouldn't be much more than 8 minutes or so.

100% confirm

Road bike only. No aero bars, 90mm deep wheels at the maximum.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

I got some new bars, too.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

bicievino posted:

🥵

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

bicievino posted:

Please post more pics of your track bike TIA

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I love local racing.

Huge field in the “expert” category. It’s essentially just an open field with a “citizen” class for more of the group ride folks.

Typical stuff to start - half wheeling, bad lines, big concertina effect every turn. 6 man break went from the first “climb” on the course that stuck to the end with about 5 minutes on the field. I tried to give my teammate a wheel to get him up to the break when it first kicked off but he couldn’t hold my wheel and I never saw him again.

The finish is almost negligent. You’re on a major road, downhill, doing around 30-35mph, then it does a 90 degree right then an immediate 90 degree left over potholes and a sewer grate on to very narrow side streets. The finish line is even more narrow because they’re using running timing and the massive cord covers on the ground almost bucked off the winner because nobody realized how big they were until after he went over since the timing wasn’t even set up until after we started. I stayed at the finish line and yelled at the finishers about it; a couple others almost ate poo poo.

Oh and the timing didn’t even work because nobody else in the break registered a time so it shows me as winning by several minutes over the field.

Some of these events are just a disaster waiting to happen. Not doing this one again unless they change this finish.

Literally Lewis Hamilton fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Jul 4, 2021

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

~70 mile road race in about 80f. I’d like 3 bottles of mix, one per hour roughly. It will loop around for multiple laps, so I can toss a bottle as needed. What’s the move here? Two on the bike and one in the jersey pocket to start? Or just hydrate up right before and go with 2 and some solid food/gel flask?

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Yeah I do a 3rd in the back pocket, toss one when it's empty. One time I got the empty bottle to roll right under my car as we went through the start/finish area. Last time I forgot to go looking for it in the grass. It's probably still in that guy's ditch. I should check next time I'm out there.

Or find out if there's an aid station that will have bottle handups. Last road race I think I brought two big bottles for 65mi and then wound up grabbing a bottle at about mile 50. Last gravel race I brought a 3rd bottle then we all stopped so I wound up not needing to carry that extra weight and have my pockets all jammed full. But I had to plan on us not stopping.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

~70 mile road race in about 80f. I’d like 3 bottles of mix, one per hour roughly. It will loop around for multiple laps, so I can toss a bottle as needed. What’s the move here? Two on the bike and one in the jersey pocket to start? Or just hydrate up right before and go with 2 and some solid food/gel flask?

3 bottles. Toss the first bottle around the start/finish line. Use a sign, tree, or some other landmark as a marker. Throw the bottle up in an arc and try to have it land in the weeds/foliage instead of attempting to slide it under your parked car. If you do the latter, your bottle will get a little chewed up by the road surface.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Thanks friends.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Man, so close.

Raced 3/4 today because it was the 76 mile, 11 lap option and if I’m driving to do a race, may as well make it the longer option. 4/5 was 35 miles.

Combined 1/2/3, 3/4, Women’s, and Men’s Masters field. Wound up going with a guy racing 1/2/3 and we got into a 2 man break for about 50 something miles. Wound up lapping at least a dozen people. I was sure we could hold it to the end trading pulls but he blew up on the 2nd to last lap on the only “climb” on the course. I went solo but the course is quite flat and not really suited to my 135lb body.

Greatly diminished peloton came up on me near the start/finish just before the we started the last lap but they seemed to sit up so I tried another dig and managed to get the lead back up. They finally got back with about 1.5 miles to go on the last lap, but they let up as soon as they caught me, so I was able to push and latch on the back. Snagged 3rd in the sprint which was surprising since there were some big guys in there and I was, and am, absolutely smoked.

Good day of racing bikes.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Nice!!

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
2 deaths and another very serious injury over the weekend at TT races, all from collisions with vehicles.

The open road TT scene in the UK has to change.

Withnail
Feb 11, 2004
I started racing again this summer after a few years. I was in a break with Alex Howes in the local training crit and feeling good about myself. Then I got dropped in a age group race a few days later. So I don't know what to think, but racing is still fun, sort of

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Withnail posted:

I started racing again this summer after a few years. I was in a break with Alex Howes in the local training crit and feeling good about myself. Then I got dropped in a age group race a few days later. So I don't know what to think, but racing is still fun, sort of

When Phil Gaimon did a random CBR a few years back he rode Rahsaan Bahati and Cory Williams off his wheel and solo'd to the win.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I rode a training crit last week with a guy who was getting on podiums out in SoCal with the Legion guys and my god did he put on a beat down. The field was absolutely shattered. I didn’t feel good prior to the race and riding the 20 miles to the crit was a bad idea, but I almost got lapped in a 45 minute crit.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Butte 100 this weekend. Will be my 3rd time, but the last one I did was like 2017 I think. I'm a little lighter and fitter and more experienced these days and am hoping to be somewhere near the overall podium. But also I could wind up hours behind or dnf. We'll see. I'm pretty pissed at myself for crashing the weekend before last. It was about the hardest one I've ever had where I clipped my hand on a tree and landed on my head/shoulder. Hand is not going to like 100 miles on a mtb and my ribs are still sore but I think with enough ibuprofin and tape I'll be alright. Plus side is that it gave me a really good taper. But I am still doubtful of my fitness. The results did improve at the end of june and I did get in some big weeks but at the same time I should have been doing more actual workouts and such.

Got my snacks all organized today. There are 10 aid stations and you can leave a gallon ziplock at each one. I don't think I'll stop at 1 or 3 except maybe to top off water. I mostly focused on what I need at the last couple, where I want good variety as it gets really hard to eat anything. Also a spare water bottle for a longer section, a tube, some sunscreen, and chain lube will be out there. I think I might even stick a tire pressure gauge in one of the middleish bags so I can adjust pressure after it gets hotter. Maybe.

lot of vanilla gels, shot blocks, and an assortment of bars and candy. Scratch in little ziplocks at every aid station

assembled into bags

Bike is pretty well dialed

New carbon wheels, new fancy cassette and rainbow chain, new pads and rotors. Would have liked to get a lighter dropper- I'm eyeing that transfer SL which will save a pretty good amount of weight over the 170mm standard transfer on there, and give me a spare for servicing purposes. I do have a rigid carbon post that's the right diameter but think I want to stick with a dropper. The stack on this is pretty low and it feels strange descending with a tall post.

Only slightly paranoid I'm going to have the front wheel explode or the end of my handlebar snap off or the brake hose pop off. I feel like they took a pretty good hit but also had trouble even finding a scratch and the wheels are true

The other day I did a lower service and took all the pivots apart. It would have been nice to replace a couple of the bearings but I didn't really want to get into that at the last minute. As is it comes in at 26.5lbs which I'm reasonably happy with. Fork feels good, shock has a couple extra psi to provide a little better support and efficiency. Thought about faster, lighter tires like aspens but the mezcal rolls well and I know these.

Butte's about an hour and a half away, and the racer meeting is at 6. I'd like to get camp setup at the start/finish area before then because I expect it will be a little crowded, so I'll try to leave by like 3 tomorrow. The race start is at 6am at the top of homestake pass so it's nice to be up there instead of at a hotel in town to get that little bit of extra sleep and make sure you don't miss the start. No laps of this course- you go on a 50mi loop north of the pass and then drop down into the valley to the south/west of the pass and eventually climb up and come back on the cdt trail. One of these days I'll go ride out there for fun. During the race the thought that these trails are cool sort of occurs to you.

jamal fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Jul 22, 2021

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Well that was fairly hard.

Like an idiot I followed the pros at the start and got my HR way, way, way too high for a ride that long. Justifying it by saying, well, it's still only z3. ok this is the top of z4 but it's just up this short climb and Tinker Juarez is right there. I got to aid station 2, where my first drop bag was, but struggled to eat anything and didn't take much out of it. Then get to AS3 and realize I didn't leave anything there so I'm already behind on food and drink mix. real smart. I had chilled out but by mile like 45 wasn't feeling so great and took awhile at the aid stations, just dreading getting to the bottom of the big climb at mile 68. According to the timing I was 5th through the first timing mats, and then started dropping positions. The course is two loops, one north of homestake pass, and then to start the 2nd 50 you drop down into the valley, ride a few sections of trail and on some roads, and then get to basin creek. This is where you go from the butte valley, at about 5700ft, to the continental divide trail, which touches 8k and takes you back to the finish at the pass. Coming into that aid station I was basically coasting along the road, and then forced myself to eat and drink and cleaned my chain. One more guy came in and left while I was there I think putting me 13th.

I settled in on the climb, and while it's been 5 years since I did this race I had a pretty good idea of what was left and how I had to pace it. This section is kind of a shock because it's like 12.4mi and 3k feet to the next aid station where all the ones before that are much closer together, so people tend to run out of water and have a miserable time. I actually felt good, and just kept my HR under like 150. My screen on the garmin in front of me most of the day was just HR, lap avg HR, overall avg HR, lap time, lap distance, and I lit the lap button at every aid station. My time through this section was only a few min behind Josh Tostado and Dan (and 9 min slower than Rose Grant, who finished 3rd overall) and I caught the next 5 guys on the trail, rolling into the aid station with Sean and Eric. Eric had crashed and hurt his finger and dropped out there.

I left with a guy from the Flathead, and Sean, a local jr i coach at nica and teammate. Sean and I spent a good amount of the first half together but he was going a little faster on the climbs once I realized how dumb I was being and got a bit ahead of me, although I was descending faster and got to most of the aid stations as he was leaving. I let the flathead guy lead for a bit but he was nursing a broken spoke and climbing slower than I wanted to I got by near the top of the first climb. This bit from mi 80-90 starts with a steep climb, then has a really rocky descent, does another climb, another descent, and then one more climb before descending to the next aid station. It's all on the continental divide trail and is super cool, but also fairly rough and technical and you really need to pay attention, which is hard when you're 85mi in. There are little bits on the climb you have to walk and then you're sore and tired and getting your rear end kicked by all the rocks. But I felt good, and was on my hei hei, which was loving awesome through here, and all day. I actually had fun on what they call "8 miles of hell." The new wheels and other weight savings measures and that touch extra air in the shock are making this thing feel like an actual XC bike on the climbs but it still rips downhill.

I ate too much and drank most of a coke at the next, and last, aid station and left before the guys behind me got there. Usually you feel like you're all alone but get to an aid station and someone is there/leaving, and other people show up before you get going. But I was fairly quick at this one and had built a decent gap. Then it's straight into another climb, the last climb. I had been on the verge of cramps for awhile and was just pushing as hard as I thought i could get away with, but was starting to feel not great from all the candy and coke I'd just had. That took a bit to settle down and I was still not great by the time I got over the top. I was also looking at the clock. It'd been less than 4mi out of ~10 in 40min and I had been hoping to break 11 hours total time, and only had like half an hour left to make it. But, it's almost all downhill, starting with a pretty twisty, rocky, slow section, but then it opens up and lets you get moving. I dinged the rear wheel on a big rock and was worried enough that I stopped to see if I'd cut my tire but got away with it, and that was the closest I had to a mechanical all day. Then my stomach had settled and I was so close to the end so I picked up the pace and and made it to the line in 10:52, in 8th place. Not very close to 7th though. Winner was a touch under 9 hours, 3rd through 7th were all 9:50 to 10:10. I think if I had not gone out so hot and been more efficient at aid stations I could definitely have been closer to 10 hours than 11 but this was still pretty good, and 2 hours faster than the last time I did this. Strava does list my moving time at 10:04 but I think there's some auto pause not counted there on the slower climbs.

I left a lot of stuff in my drop bags, on purpose, to give myself choices, but I frequently still got there and didn't grab things or open wrappers or eat when I should have, early anyway. Shot blocks and gels and skratch mix saved my day. Oh, I drank this whole bottle, that's 80 cal, and had this gel, another 100, and a few shot blocks, and part of a can of coke, I think that's enough for this hour? I was trying to avoid going 11 hours on gels and coke but that seemed to work at the end so maybe I should have just planned on that from the start.

The winner was Max, that junior from the helena gravel race. Tinker and Tostado took a wrong turn early. Max was with them and said "hey this isn't right" but they didn't turn around with him, even though he lives in Butte and actually knows his way around there. The first 50 is kind of a maze of roads and trails and I just follow the very good course marking. So Tostado turned around and passed me at the start/finish and wound up 5th but Tinker dropped out. Dan got 3rd, and mentioned he crashed numerous times including one where he hit his head and couldn't see straight, but was in between aid stations and kept going forward and decided to stay in it. Jake won the 50mi race which was pretty cool and impressive.

Anyway I got a mug and I'm tired and everything hurts

https://www.strava.com/activities/5681698630

jamal fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Jul 27, 2021

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
Excellent trip report as usual. Hell of a ride!

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.
Did two races this week!
1) Tuesday Night Racing at San Diego velodrome B's field: 3 races (Elimination, 4km scratch, 8km scratch)+ a motorpaced warmup.

Felt like total crap during the warmup, and haven't been doing any high intensity riding lately so I figured I was just there to socialize and get a little bit of a workout, was planning on quitting for the night after the Elimination (wich I planned on not doing well in). I ended up riding to the front during the Eliminaiton race on lap one and trading off on the front with 2 other guys, while I guess the rest of the field tried to draft and put themselves in the box. Eventually people started sprinting over the top and I ended up at the rear and got pulled from the group of 6. Given we started 20 guys, this was much better than I though I would do and it gave me a little motivation to keep going.

In the 4k (12 laps) scratch I rode easy on the back, and took tickets (kept letting people coming back off the front to drop in front of me, so I wouldn't cycle up toward the front) for the first 6 laps. Was on the wheel of another of the old guys, and my mortal rival at the track, when the strong kids on the front decided to pick up the pace, and rival dude blew and went up the track right as I was moving to come around, and he took a line of 4 of us up to the rail. Luckily another old dude back there with me was willing to work with me and we traded pulls for a lap and caught up to the lead group of about 6 riders with about 2 laps to go. As soon as we caught, the pace jumped again and we were instantaly gapped for the final two laps, and I sat on his wheel for the final lap and came around him after turn 4 for 7th (lol). I was not at all in contention with the real strong guys, but it was fun doing track strategy, and fun sprinting head to head with my friend.

in the 8k (24) scratch, I attempted to go for a cash prime on lap 8, barely even made it off the front of the field and got blown away far far far from the finish line, and ended up gassed and dropped. I was going to let myself get lapped and just ride in at the back of the field for the workout, but while riding around at the top of the track waiting to be lapped I momentarily forgot I was on a track bike and tried to coast to rest a bit and almost bucked myself off the bike. Figured that was a sign that I should roll into the infield and watch the real fast guys race.

It was my third night of racing at the track this season, and while I'm nowhere near the level of fitness I once was, it's still an incredible thrill and about the best workout one can get. It's also an incredible close-knit group of people and we get to race in front of a big, appreciative crowd who are all there to party and have fun. Really really great stuff.

Yesterday I raced the Cat 5 race at the Majestic grand prix in La Verne, CA. I haven't raced on the road since 2013, when I was a (lovely) cat3. My wife is newly employed by Muc-Off (bike cleaning products) and had to run the tent in the expo area so I figured I'd race on a one-day license since I'd be there anyway, and because the 5's race was at the intensly civilized hour of 12:30pm. The race is held on the same course that the San Dimas stage race crit used to be held on, a really nice 1.25 mile, 7-turn course, with a little bit of an uphill drag after turn 1 and a smooth downhill right turn into the finish straight. I started in about the middle of the field and spent lap 1 working a little harder than I'd like getting around people who were riding...strangely. People riding on the tops, one guy who was clipping a foot out heading into the tight turn (which wasn't very tight at all, really!) etc. By lap 4 I was tailgunning and keeping contact with the field by cornering well when they were all braking and sprinting out of each turn. I lasted one more lap doing that until the elastic really snapped and I rode the rest of the laps (I think I did 7) in rotating with a group of fellow scrubs. At least were able to ride through the corners on the correct line at that point. With a lap to go I pulled off at the finish line to watch the finish.

Overall another fun experience. There is nothing like racing in a pack to get the blood pumping, and the atmosphere at these things are always so fun and welcoming. People who like to race bikes really like getting together to do it. Got to sit in the booth with my wife for the rest of the day, drink beers, and talk to people about bike cleaning products!

https://www.strava.com/activities/5688115771/segments/2854608920316154872

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Love hearing about racing at other tracks.

rngd in the womb
Oct 13, 2009

Yam Slacker

tylertfb posted:

Yesterday I raced the Cat 5 race at the Majestic grand prix in La Verne, CA. https://www.strava.com/activities/5688115771/segments/2854608920316154872

OH poo poo, I raced the cat4 field at La Verne GP. First race of the year and I went into this without as much anxiety as I had throughout my first season. I also had five teammates, which was new to me. Two of them dropped off. One had already done two races and the other one seemed to be exhausted for some vague reason. I didn't think about expectations or anything like that, I just wanted to race and see how I did.

Seemed like that was a good mindset to have, because I stayed active throughout the race as much as possible. A Team Six guy launched a breakaway attempt right from the start and nobody else bit, so we were all just covering each other to see who were feeling good and bad. The first few laps were chill like this, I was staying on the front and then people were suddenly pushing to the front around 10 minutes into the race. I got shuffled to the middle of the pack, but kept my head up and kept looking for opportunities to pass.

The hill and the short straight after that were both good places to pass, but what worked better was that I tried to plan ahead for the two times in the course where there were going to be two corners in the same direction. Right -> right is what I mean. I realized that I could just take the outside line on a left corner and then have the inside line for the next two right corners. This seemed pretty effective but I realized this too late to really exploit this in a meaningful way.

Around the 30 minute mark, a guy in the back hosed up somehow and went flying over the median in the street on the hill. I saw this happen just as I looked back, and then people were starting to fly. I had been moving around and working to the front pretty well. I tried to make space for the teammates a couple times by attacking there and here throughout the race so I was feeling a little rough and starting to feel a bit inattentive. I missed the bell and caught up too late but I hit the gutter in the last corner a bit too hard and the chain dropped to the small ring. Ooof! Missing the bell and the finish line sprint meant that I wasn't going to crack the top 7 for a point or more this time.

I finished 17 out of 44 (with 7 DNS's). I'm the most happy about my mindset. I felt like I didn't psych myself out, I didn't let others dictate how I raced as much, and this was only my first race back this year. I'm looking forward to racing more. I hadn't realized how much I missed it!

rngd in the womb fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Jul 27, 2021

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

3 crashes in the men’s 4/5. One guy crashed, used the free lap, crashed again.
One guy dislocated his hip in the men’s masters and took an ambulance ride.
Women’s race stopped and cancelled due to a crash and another ambulance ride.

All this on am oval with no corners. Buffalo is out for blood today.

Pretty sketched out about tomorrow which is more technical n that it has actual turns, is completely flat, and it’s supposed to rain the entire time. Might pull the plug.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Finished my road season (maybe?) by doing a 40 mile, 3,200ft course. 4 laps, with the 1st and the 4th being the same while the 2nd and 3rd were each different. Marshalls directed you each time at the turns which was surprisingly well done considering there were 3 different race distances going. Each lap had a sprint prime and a KOM prime for $10 each.

Roads were wet to start, rain started again on the 2nd lap, wrath of god rain for the 3rd lap which subsided on the 4th, and stopped by the finish.

The first lap two guys got on the front and seemed happy to pull nearly the whole time, although they pulled off before every prime for some reason. On the start of the 2nd lap a 16 year old kid attacked hard up the one big climb, so my two teammates and I went with him. He blew up about 3/4 up the climb and I looked back to see a decent gap already. My teammates and I hooked up and did a TTT for the remaining 30ish miles, collecting every prime. Nobody wanted to do a full gas sprint in the wet so we rolled 3 wide across the finish line and only found out who won at the podium. Exact same recorded time for everyone in the end. Very wholesome way to end the season. :3:

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Finished my road season (maybe?) by doing a 40 mile, 3,200ft course. 4 laps, with the 1st and the 4th being the same while the 2nd and 3rd were each different. Marshalls directed you each time at the turns which was surprisingly well done considering there were 3 different race distances going. Each lap had a sprint prime and a KOM prime for $10 each.

Roads were wet to start, rain started again on the 2nd lap, wrath of god rain for the 3rd lap which subsided on the 4th, and stopped by the finish.

The first lap two guys got on the front and seemed happy to pull nearly the whole time, although they pulled off before every prime for some reason. On the start of the 2nd lap a 16 year old kid attacked hard up the one big climb, so my two teammates and I went with him. He blew up about 3/4 up the climb and I looked back to see a decent gap already. My teammates and I hooked up and did a TTT for the remaining 30ish miles, collecting every prime. Nobody wanted to do a full gas sprint in the wet so we rolled 3 wide across the finish line and only found out who won at the podium. Exact same recorded time for everyone in the end. Very wholesome way to end the season. :3:

This owns.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

:hmmyes:

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
Copypasta from an e-mail I sent out.

Castle Criterium (State Championship)

Racer: Me
Date: September 5, 2021
Category: Masters 40-44 Men
Duration: 45 minutes
Course: .8mi bullet shape...two long straights, two corners and one long half-circle sweeper.
Field size: Only 7
Start: 4:05pm
Temperature: 100F / 38C
Wind: Crosswinds on both long straights, headwind between turns 1-2 and tailwind on the half-circle sweeper.
Result: 3rd

Metrics:
Height: 177cm
Weight: 66kg
Pavg: 228W
Pnp: 247W
Pmax: 1055W
Speed: 24mph
HRavg: 151bpm
HRmax: 170bpm

Since there were only 6 others in the race, I can name and rank them all...

Predicted winner: Matt Mikul, Terun Elite team captain. On the form of his life. Currently leading Jeff Linder in BAR. Well-rounded sprinter.
Predicted second: Blaine Ashley, Thirsty Bear. A breakaway type who can sprint a little bit.

Also dangerous:
Richard Gabel, ATP Velo Kings. All-rounder.
Przemek Tutak, Valley Spokesman. All-rounder.
Sean Gilson, Rio Strada. Sprinter

Not a threat:
Philip Barros, Mike's Bikes.

Race prep:
Buy a kegerator and gain 15 pounds by drinking 32oz of beer every night. Work on punch by riding very aggressively in the local fast group rides. Participate in team camp rides the day before because I race best at slightly negative TSB (around -10.) Audition 28mm Schwalbe Pro One TT tires. <-- Hint, these are fast but paper thin. I punctured once during team camp on Friday and also punctured in the race on Sunday!

How it went:
With only seven preregistrations and forecasted scorching temps, I knew it was going to be a tough race one way or another. While watching the 35-39s race, Blaine and I wondered who would surprise us with a day-of registration. Blaine had asked his teammate Ariel Hermann to come out, but he ended up a no-show. In fact, there were no day-of sign-ups, so seven it was. Normally I like smaller fields, but seven is baaad. As this was a late afternoon start, the winds had really picked up.

The start was uninteresting, the first lap was very easy and the start of the second lap was even easier. I went to the front and slowly started raising the pace and they let me go. Sean Gilson from Rio Strada followed. I did most of the work to establish a real gap, but stayed within myself. After two laps, the others had enough and they reeled us back in quickly, setting the fastest lap of the race at 1m45s. In the laps that followed, Matt Mikul attacked a couple times and so did Blaine. Each attack was immediately covered, though Philip Barros got dropped and pulled out of the race.

Matt initiated the winning break on lap 10, so about 20 minutes into the race. Przemek followed and that was that. I could have / should have followed, but I was determined to race more efficiently than at San Ardo and I figured Blaine would drag us back. That didn't happen and I immediately went to the front of the chase and put in an effort. Blaine took his turn, but Sean Gilson and Richard Gabel did not so much as roll through. With two out of four already resigned to sprinting for 3rd place, we were doomed. Over the next 13 minutes, the gap grew and our pace slowed. I ended up doing some work on the front, but giving up as nobody would pull through. Blaine admitted after the race that he was not prepared for the heat...I assume Sean and Richard felt the same.

During one of my desperation pulls, my rear tire punctured. I raised my hand and rotated backward until the tire eventually sealed at 40psi. That was less than ideal, but surprisingly very rideable. I hardly noticed the difference. With 12 minutes to go, I waited for the transition from headwind to cross-tailwind to attack the other three. Fortunately Richard was on the front and the worst off of the lot. Nobody responded and within a lap I was fairly certain I had secured third place. Over the final 6 laps, I rode around threshold but in as aero a position as I could. I rode at higher power on the cross-headwind front straight and eased a little on the cross-tailwind back straight. Through the half-circle sweeper, I pedaled as close to the cones as possible to minimize my distance traveled. I aimed my bike at the smoothest sections of pavement and started rattling off 1m55s laps. Little did I know, the 2-man break had slowed to 2m00s laps and on the final lap they slowed to 2m31s. On the back straight I got within just a few seconds of them, but Matt finally looked back and saw that I was not, in fact, the moto and an imminent threat. He started his sprint a little early and beat Przemek easily, as expected. I rolled in a few seconds behind them, happy to have gambled on time-trialing to third place rather than waiting on losing a sprint to Sean and Blaine.

Post-mortem:
* I should have followed Matt M every single time he attacked.
* Pay more attention to rider body language, especially in small fields.
* I was surprised that only Matt M and I made use of the crosswind. Everyone else was wasting watts.
* Schwalbe Pro One TT tires. Fast, but even more fragile than Corsa Speeds.
* 40psi was surprisingly rideable. I barely noticed and it wasn't wallowy or too pillowy feeling at all.
* Gaining weight for crits and flattish road races really does help. Imagine that.
* The people watching were cheering me on, especially when they saw me close in on the back straight. That was worth a few extra watts. Jeff Linder of NorCal Cycling YouTube fame gave me a fistbump for the effort.

TobinHatesYou fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Sep 8, 2021

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

:hmmyes:

Good post

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

It's day 2 of masters track nationals. My first event day.
3k pursuit on deck this evening. Have always said I'm not a pursuiter, but we'll see what happens.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

bicievino posted:

Have always said I'm not a pursuiter, but we'll see what happens.

That's not what you were telling me, didn't you just spend like $2k and have it custom tailored to you and everything?

e: ohhh pursuiter, sorry

Bud Manstrong
Dec 11, 2003

The Curse of the Flying Criosphinx

VelociBacon posted:

That's not what you were telling me, didn't you just spend like $2k and have it custom tailored to you and everything?

:discourse:

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

VelociBacon posted:

:captainpop:

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
The Pina is the most organic looking frame for a reason.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/deceuninck-quickstep-select-sam-bennett-for-kampioenschap-van-vlaanderen/

Lol. Lmao.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

VelociBacon posted:

Skin is slow, but maybe fur is fast?
New frontiers in aero tech.

Realtalk I think the next purchase is a custom speedsuit. In stock sizing I'm an XL at the thigh and butt, but a small at the chest and waist. Got a lot of wrinkles on the sleeves I could stand to get rid of.

bicievino fucked around with this message at 12:26 on Sep 16, 2021

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

bicievino posted:

Realtalk I think the next purchase is a custom speedsuit. In stock sizing I'm an XL at the thigh and butt, but a small at the chest and waist. Got a lot of wrinkles on the sleeves I could stand to get rid of.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=arnWU1sWqKw

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

bicievino posted:

Didn't know primoz posted in this thread

El Laucha
Oct 9, 2012

Last sunday was my first real (not a gran fondo or gravel) race, which happened to be Chile's national championship. I've been training with a coach for the past 12 months, and 2 weeks ago he just called me and asked if I was up for the nationals. I said sure why not, lets see those training results.

I am more of a gran fondo guy, love doing long races so this was an interesting proposition. I had to get my UCI certificate and stuff, so I am now officially UCI certified for road races :coal:

We were around 80 people in the race, Masters A1+A2, the day of the race we got rain and lots of wind so all I was worried was not crashing, second worry was to not let go of the peloton. It was cold, wet, windy, but once the race started, you just forget about that. Full concentration on just not falling because everyone started full gas. The original distance was 88,5km but due to weather it was shortened to just 70km. There were lots of teams present, 3-5 people in each team, while I was alone with another friend who is a member of the same cycling club (and started with the same coach a few months ago). Out strategy was to try and break away in the first kms, but that was easier said than done.

As the race started, everyone just went full gas and you just had to buckle up and start hurting. One guy managed to break away solo and take the lead, we only caught up to him 500m away from the finish line, mad props to the guy. Anyway, the 70km had around 700m of total altitude, so lots of short and several long slopes. My friend and me are good climbers so we knew we had a slight advantage on those slopes, and we were proved right after the first few of them. Most of the pack would enter the slopes strong as hell, but they'd deflate usually at around 3/4ths of the way up, so we knew we would be able to stay with them and endure all the attacks. Now, if you ride gran fondos, you know that there arent that many attacks, usually only on climbs/descents, the rest of the way you just go in a pack. But here, since its was a short race, it was full on attack mode, all the drat time, everywhere.

After the first brutal 15km we tried to break the peloton, my friend managed to take off for around 10kms, I tried to follow but due to inexperience I think I hosed him over because at first I tried to break away and catch up to him but after a few km I knew I couldnt manage (I was leading the peloton here). After 4-5km he started to get away slowly, and I should have lowered my speed to give him more time to widen the gap, but again, due to inexperience and adrenaline I kept trying to catch him and finally I ended up bridging the gap with the whole peloton behind me.

I was feeling strong this day, plus all the excitement and stuff, I ended up leading I'd say at least 15-25% of the race, just going strong at the front hoping that eventually the group would break up. No dice. In the last 10km the peloton was still going strong, around 40-50 riders still together. I lead the group in the final 6-7km, all the way up to the last 1.5km. The finish was preceded by a 1,23km climb at 3,6% and a final 300-500m flat. I tried my best to finish strong but the legs weren't there anymore. Anyway, I ended up 21 seconds from the 1st place. There were about 20 people between those times. My friend managed to get 8th, around 8 seconds from the winner. The winner got less than a 1 second difference from the 2nd place, it was the dude that broke away in the first few kms and managed to solo the whole race up to the end.

We did the 70km in 1:49 at and average of 38,3km. Overall very happy with the results and general form, I did dream with a podium but this wasnt your normal amateur race so finishing so close the the winners left a great feeling. Next year I hope to be back with 2 more team members and have a real strategy.

e: during a few moments in the race after lots of consecutive attacks, the peloton would ease up the rhythm a bit. After the 2nd or 3rd time my friend shouted to whoever was in the front at the moment to pick it up, something along the line of "pull drat it, this isnt a coffee ride". We didn't slow down again after that. Also, the day before he did a 10km TT, and at dinner he had a few beers and maybe half a bottle of wine. If he really wanted that 1st place medal, he could've had it no doubt.

El Laucha fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Sep 17, 2021

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
What a dumb race.

Also I got yelled at by an old man for this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PgGfshRWaqs

TobinHatesYou fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Sep 19, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrL_JaKiri