Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Salvor_Hardin posted:

British workers at the malt liquor plant were among the only ones not to contract cholera during that outbreak. Because they drank almost exclusively malt liquor run-off.

chips rolled up in a newspaper and a mug of that stuff, what the hell else do you need in life!?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

i am harry posted:

chips rolled up in a newspaper and a mug of that stuff, what the hell else do you need in life!?

One bullet fired directly at the brain.

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

https://twitter.com/adamjohnsonNYC/status/1414708692537257990

https://twitter.com/Gritty20202/status/1414435905914511362

PhilippAchtel has issued a correction as of 00:05 on Jul 13, 2021

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

i am harry posted:

This is how I know I'm at least partially english. Is it good? No? What about good enough?

gently caress it. Time for tea!

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Muscle Wizard
Jul 28, 2011

by sebmojo

watch out for those homeless people, living inside the home.

Wrex Ruckus
Aug 24, 2015

"it has great bones"

:ok:

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Growing up I loved reading about the latest space poo poo and what cool new bit was being added to the ISS or what planet we were visiting next or whatever.

Now I basically can't ever read about anything space-related because 95% of it is elong or one of these fucks and it just massively bums me out.

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

Shame Boy posted:

Growing up I loved reading about the latest space poo poo and what cool new bit was being added to the ISS or what planet we were visiting next or whatever.

Now I basically can't ever read about anything space-related because 95% of it is elong or one of these fucks and it just massively bums me out.

:same:

My son is big into space stuff, but is too young to know about these guys, thank god. I don't know what I'll do if he starts talking about Elon in glowing terms. He's kind of contrary though, so maybe he'll dodge it.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

And yes I know even before them quite a lot of space poo poo was just huge boondoggles to shovel money into the pockets of defense contractors and the ISS only existed to give the shuttle something to do etc etc but at least then there was some veneer of respectability and lofty, positive goals and it actually did help move science along.

Meanwhile now NASA's renting out one of the launch pads that took us to the loving moon to host Elong and Jeffy's Rich Guy Money Pissing Contest

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

Shame Boy posted:

And yes I know even before them quite a lot of space poo poo was just huge boondoggles to shovel money into the pockets of defense contractors and the ISS only existed to give the shuttle something to do etc etc but at least then there was some veneer of respectability and lofty, positive goals and it actually did help move science along.
:lol:

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Thanatosian posted:

The housing market probably wasn't quite as insane when your brother did that.

We've had multiple decades of Boomers doing everything in their power to drive up housing costs, and it has hosed us royally.

Oh for sure, like I said they did eventually get priced out a few years ago.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

a new study bible! posted:

Entrepreneur isn't a bad word!

You got the entre... Who doesn't love an entree? It's the reason why you go to the restaurant. Nobody goes out for the appetizer.

Then you got the pre... Pre is good. Pre means before. Before now is always better than now. Now things stink! But before? The world held so much promise.

Finally, you got the newer! Everyone likes new stuff!

I've been watching a ton of american dad and this sounds just like stan it's eerie

ledge
Jun 10, 2003

Shame Boy posted:

Meanwhile now NASA's renting out one of the launch pads that took us to the loving moon to host Elong and Jeffy's Rich Guy Money Pissing Contest

Gill Scott-Heron posted:

A rat done bit my sister Nell
With whitey on the moon

Her face and arms began to swell
And whitey's on the moon

I can't pay no doctor bills
But whitey's on the moon

Ten years from now I'll be payin' still
While whitey's on the moon

The man just upped my rent last night
Cause whitey's on the moon

No hot water, no toilets, no lights
But whitey's on the moon

I wonder why he's upping me?
Cause whitey's on the moon?

Well I was already giving him fifty a week
With whitey on the moon

Taxes taking my whole drat check
Junkies making me a nervous wreck
The price of food is going up
And as if all that poo poo wasn't enough:
A rat done bit my sister Nell
With whitey on the moon

Her face and arm began to swell
And whitey's on the moon

Was all that money I made last year
For whitey on the moon?

How come I ain't got no money here?
Hmm! Whitey's on the moon

Y'know I just 'bout had my fill
Of whitey on the moon

I think I'll send these doctor bills
Airmail special
To whitey on the moon

palindrome
Feb 3, 2020

Milo and POTUS posted:

I've been watching a ton of american dad and this sounds just like stan it's eerie

Wow you're right, that does have the cadence and tone of Stan Smith dialogue. I can imagine the gestures too

Homocow
Apr 24, 2007

Extremely bad poster!
DO NOT QUOTE!

Pillbug

Shame Boy posted:

look on the bright side, there's a chance one of them will get themselves killed

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Homocow posted:

look on the bright side, there's a chance one of them will get themselves killed

Yeah but then they become a martyr of capitalist space and get middle schools named after them and poo poo, idk. I've thought about this probably more than I should and I think the best result would be if the rocket fails but the launch abort system "saves" them, because the launch abort rockets firing will crush you with like 25+ g's and while you'll probably live through that you'll also probably be crippled for life.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Homocow posted:

Lol no, we live in hellworld you idiot.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Shame Boy posted:

Yeah but then they become a martyr of capitalist space and get middle schools named after them and poo poo, idk. I've thought about this probably more than I should and I think the best result would be if the rocket fails but the launch abort system "saves" them, because the launch abort rockets firing will crush you with like 25+ g's and while you'll probably live through that you'll also probably be crippled for life.

Schadenfreudewise, that makes a lot of sense, but really, nothing a billionaire does requires a working body. What I'm saying is that Elon would be trying to make a cyborg body whilst tweeting even harder.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

"Whitey on the Moon" would be an S-tier username if it fit.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

it's great whenever someone goes off on all the amazing technological advancements the space program supposedly gave us and it's just piles of loving garbage like "foamed rubber for nike shoes" and "handheld vacuum cleaners"

at least we got weather sats out of it i guess

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Weatherman posted:

An admin would probably let you change to it. It’s close to short enough and it has spaces to it’ll break lines if it has to.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Weatherman posted:

A Wyatt Onthemoon.

But wait, didn't we get anything useful? Is it all dumb rubber and teflon?

One might also argue that the metaphorical dickwaving of the space race was better than a more military alternative, like shooting rockets around the world.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
Benefits of the space program: holy poo poo we went to space

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

velcro used to be pretty awesome

tang still is

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
astronaut icecream :colbert:

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Fuckable aliens when, NASA!?

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

other people posted:

Dippin' Dots are awesome. :colbert:

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

other people posted:

I'll never not laugh at the venture bros running away and saying they were grabbing the astronaut ice cream

Doccykins
Feb 21, 2006
so many americans with broken brains replying to this thread

https://twitter.com/gabsmashh/status/1414639041040076803

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Doccykins posted:

I have a friend who's body has been sacrificed to capitalism and he has a myriad of long term injuries and what could effectively be called PTSD about human interaction from so much service industry work. He tells me he feels worthless and guilty for signing up for gov't assistance. It's very sad what our work culture and propaganda does to people long-term.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Doccykins posted:

I called in sick today and yesterday.

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
One of my old bosses was American and they tried to investigate people calling in sick, like demanding to know exact symptoms and dramatically sighing if somebody was too lazy to come in even for a couple of hours. Then they browbeat someone into coming in and oops they had appendicitis and they weren't in charge of dealing with sick days anymore

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Oneiros posted:

it's great whenever someone goes off on all the amazing technological advancements the space program supposedly gave us and it's just piles of loving garbage like "foamed rubber for nike shoes" and "handheld vacuum cleaners"

at least we got weather sats out of it i guess

I mean those are the dumb ones NASA compiles to try to sell congressmen on why they shouldn't have funding cut yet again, because those were spun off into ~successful private business ventures~ that ~create jobs~ and poo poo, but yeah the actually important stuff is weather satellites, GPS, the COSPAS-SARSAT system, etc.

I know it's not cool in CSPAM to like anything ever or act like anything could possibly be good in any way but gently caress y'all space is neat and important :colbert:

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

They're sold at the Kennedy Space Center visitor's complex as Space Dots, which makes them better :colbert:

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Doccykins posted:

My wife has a crippling sense of anxiety that she might be fired for it, is that the same thing

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Shame Boy posted:

I know it's not cool in CSPAM to like anything ever or act like anything could possibly be good in any way but gently caress y'all space is neat and important :colbert:

space is very important and that's why it's so depressing that currently our species only interacts with it via performative vanity projects conducted by egotistic billionaires

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Was teflon space of formula 1? Anyway teflon is the best for frying pans.

E: oh it was nuking japan oops

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Gorson posted:

I have a friend who's body has been sacrificed to capitalism and he has a myriad of long term injuries and what could effectively be called PTSD about human interaction from so much service industry work. He tells me he feels worthless and guilty for signing up for gov't assistance. It's very sad what our work culture and propaganda does to people long-term.

he paid into it his entire life and he’s withdrawing some in the normal manner for which it is intended

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edgar Allan Pwned
Apr 4, 2011

Quoth the Raven "I love the power glove. It's so bad..."

Shame Boy posted:

My wife has a crippling sense of anxiety that she might be fired for it, is that the same thing

Same :(