Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Farscape is actually pretty cool.

T Bowl posted:

Do you guys have any other examples of these artist you've liked but just kind of disappear? Someone mentioned The Go! Team right? I never got into them beyond hearing some random singles but I remember them being around.

Fang Island. RIP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year

T Bowl posted:

Twin Shadow released a new album to almost no media or fanfare on Friday. Probably because his last two albums were forgettable as heck. Does anyone still care about him? His debut album is top tier of the 2010s either way.

Small Black has released two albums in the last four years as well and they do not get any attention. It's interesting what fades rapidly. Remember Memory Tapes?

Do you guys have any other examples of these artist you've liked but just kind of disappear? Someone mentioned The Go! Team right? I never got into them beyond hearing some random singles but I remember them being around.

Washed Out lol.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Joanna Gruesome
Giant Drag

Gone Fashing
Aug 4, 2004

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN
it feels like almost every precocious indie band I listened to in college has disappeared that way but then they randomly go on tour. I listened to twins shadows first album a lot but felt like he got pretty boring after that. saw him live long ago with the pains of being pure at heart, another band that I think kinda disappeared

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

The ecosystem that was building up these bands died out, so the bands died too.

I don't think getting a 9.0 at Pitchfork is going to be enough to support a band anymore.

A band I really liked, Allo Darlin, lasted about 8 years, put out 3-4 albums, got some press, then kaput. I think in their goodbye message they said after everything, they lost money being in this band.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

T Bowl posted:

The Jane Austen Argument. They released a few EPs and an album, and they've each done some solo stuff that I enjoyed a lot, but neither of them have made much music in years and it makes me sad.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

He\they're still in the periphery surprisingly! And, now we get our own nostalgia festivals with (post-covid) regularity!

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
God that lineup

kinda shocked they didn't get LCD Soundsystem, wonder if they're taking a break from touring (hope they are since I'd love another record, listened to American Dream again the other day and forgot how that really does hold up alongside their first three, especially the singles)

I won't fly across country for that lineup, but if they run it back in a year or two in NYC or nearby I absolutely would be there. throw like uhh a reformed The Rapture and idk We Are Scientists in there too

Solomon Gumball
Jul 24, 2019
Interpol, Modest Mouse, Chromeo, MIA are all still known. Last !!! album I recall got decent press in the indie world but that's it. I'd say Death Cab for Cutie hung on. Bloc Party and Franz didn't keep up with the likes of Interpol I feel but still have fairly decent fan followings. Being American, they could still be popular in the UK more, idk. The Hives are the real bummer, they fell off a lot and had a lot of energy and fun. Santigold kinda started to go on a downward trend after having changing the name as dumb it is. Peaches are like one minor indie hit. Cut Copy has a brief resurgence but then faded away again. Geographer and Raveonettes were either regionally big or barely broke through in the indie heyday. Yelle's always carved out her own space it seems and never huge but around. Idk there's tons more bands that are gone.

The Thermals
Secret Machines
Moving Units
Anything on Ed Banger
Le Tigre
Girl Talk
TV on the Radio
The Von Bondies
etc.

There's just way too many that come to mind and more. I mean even huge acts a few years ago (like Mac Demarco) put out one bad album and you don't really hear much or artists that have a really solid album (Ariel Pink) and gently caress themselves over. Too many trends and this still continues of band using no vowels, extra voewels, Xs instead of vowels, Wolf ____, Future _____, etc. and they all bandwagon onto the one successful on.

If the bands are still playing late night TV gigs like Colbert or Jools Holland with new albums, I thinks it's fair to say they stood the test of time. Interpol played their last album - I do consider them and The Strokes the major two that made it through along with YYYs to a lesser degree (esp. as Karen O started doing more collabs alone) from the post-punk revival era, Modest Mouse, Spoon had one of the most successful runs with Hot Thoughts a few years back, Chromeo still hangs around but they weren't that huge. You just don't see Bloc Party, sometimes Franz at all. Idk out of that list which I think a few of those bands have transitioned into "elder statesmen" roles.

The only one of that list I think that aren't really active anymore and was a loss to music is The Hives. Same with Mutemath as far as bands with good songs and good stage presences/live shows. Shame they fell apart but we're never in the p4k sphere despite touring with with bands covered in p4k like that, I think I remember hearing they didnt submitted to p4k despite touring with a lot of artists reviewed, sometimes a smart move. Rilo Kiley breaking up after Under the Blacklight sucked to, I felt like they could have had a pretty successful run up and Jenny Lewis has had some cool recent releases but she just doesn't have the same power as she could have if Rilo Kiley kept evolving. Plus her collaborations with Ryan Adams... Cursive is still fairly active, Minus the Bear hung around, their break up sucked. They had some recognition and solid following. Dinosaur Jr's back.

Mountains Goats doing well, got TV coverage, and John Darnielles's friend John Vanderslice came back after a long hiatus and is putting out interesting different stuff but I mean even Sufjan never played TV, I think he did tambourine on The National song on Letterman once in the back and his stuff has devolved down to hit or miss really.

Solomon Gumball fucked around with this message at 11:37 on Jul 13, 2021

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

GoutPatrol posted:

The ecosystem that was building up these bands died out, so the bands died too.

Yes that's very much true. The late '00s were basically the worst possible time to be a "band", as you kind of needed a label, but labels were also dying and rock music was on the verge of disappearing from the charts entirely. (And like, "the charts" were also kind of dying, I think?) A whole bunch of these groups end up telling the same exact story when you see any interviews with them: "we finally got on a label, they finally got behind us, then the management changed, then the label dissolved." And usually, by the time all that happens, it's suddenly been like 10 years since the band started, and a bunch of them got married and had kids, and most of them don't want to continue investing in this thing that hasn't paid off for them since forever ago.

I'm usually the first person to mention Mutemath in a given conversation, but amazingly someone beat me to it. They follow the above story to a tee. Another one I always think of is Eisley.

Because I'm an old man, I can't help but think The Beatles had the right idea. They did so much in 7 years, and a lot of that isn't necessarily repeatable (and I mean, they kind of destroyed themselves with drugs and stuff in the process). But there's something to the idea of not taking forever to create the perfect album. Heck, most of their albums definitely aren't "perfect" either. But they all sound vital and fun and bursting with creativity that hasn't been stifled by overthinking everything.

It's not any one entity's fault that the above usually doesn't hold true -- it's partially the entire culture of rock music, and labels, and producers, and the artists too. But I guess my point is, not everyone can be The Beatles, but I'm not sure it's as far off as we think. I would like to see more bands just crank out album after album and see what happens. (Shout-out to King Gizzard, who are definitely too weird to be the next Beatles, but they've got the right idea.)

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

incoherent posted:

He\they're still in the periphery surprisingly! And, now we get our own nostalgia festivals with (post-covid) regularity!

Oh sure, Washed Out is still performing, but... it's Too Late

angrygodofjebus
Aug 25, 2005

Drink it up and hunker down

I've really liked both singles off this album so far. (e: oops, forgot there were three already)

angrygodofjebus fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Jul 13, 2021

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Brent Knopf's indie side project Ramona Falls may have never been big enough to be considered in this challenge, but his debut album Intuit is one of the most expertly crafted albums ever and I'm just saddened that nothing following has been able to live up to it.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

TV on the Radio and Mac Demarco are both absolutely still going concerns. I think we should distinguish between bands that are past their heyday big still "major label" active (Interpol, The Strokes, Modest Mouse, Death Cab) vs. bands that are basically in a "State Fair" phase of their career vs. bands that broke up/artists that went back to accounting/etc.

Also Santigold's last album ("mixtape," whatever) was pretty great.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

I really liked their previous 3 albums so maybe my expectations were miscalibrated but I haven't really gotten into the singles they've released for the album. "How Not To Drown" with Robert Smith is a good track, though.

While I'm on the subject they have some great live shows on Youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dhrX1JbndxQ&t=805s

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
mutemath was a top 5 show for me. they started out in the back of the venue and proceeded through the crowd with the drummer holding his bass drum and someone else hitting it with a shoe. they got up to stage and the drummer installed his drum, put on some muffs and proceeded to duct tape them to his head and BAM right into the first track

the finale was sung from the top of an inflatable boat crowdsurfing around the venue

just insanely good

Gone Fashing
Aug 4, 2004

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

I really liked their previous 3 albums so maybe my expectations were miscalibrated but I haven't really gotten into the singles they've released for the album. "How Not To Drown" with Robert Smith is a good track, though.

While I'm on the subject they have some great live shows on Youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dhrX1JbndxQ&t=805s

yeah the robert smith track is really good but im pretty meh on the other tracks too. saw them on the love is dead tour with pale waves, was a great show

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY

The Modern Leper posted:

TV on the Radio and Mac Demarco are both absolutely still going concerns. I think we should distinguish between bands that are past their heyday big still "major label" active (Interpol, The Strokes, Modest Mouse, Death Cab) vs. bands that are basically in a "State Fair" phase of their career vs. bands that broke up/artists that went back to accounting/etc.

Also Santigold's last album ("mixtape," whatever) was pretty great.

Yeah, however you guys want to do it. I wasn't talking about bands who hit their peak and have waned slightly but still sell well for concert attendance, more of the bands that just totally seemed to have faded out. I think either discussion is fine though because talking about it is interesting.

I keep hearing the "indie heyday" stuff too but what I think people don't realize when they act like Indie subgenre has faded is that it's not that clearly defined of a subgenre in general and has morphed into slightly different sounds that are rooted in rock music. A lot of the young artist in the alternative world now I would still lump in to the indie tag.

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

T Bowl posted:

https://twitter.com/conor_tripler/status/1372648992413155330?s=20

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
I keep wondering what happened to Warpaint. They weren't that big, or around in that heyday, or big in that heyday, but I liked them and would love to see them play again. The only time I saw them was when they opened for Depeche Mode, and that was, of course, a huge venue.

I know they're opening for Courtney Barnett in an upcoming tour, but that's only for the L.A. show, I think.

e: also The Courtneys. One of my favorites, and I know that Garvin is in the band Gum Country, and that is a great album and I listen to it a lot, but I'd love to hear more The Courtneys stuff or see them play again.

e2: also Let's Eat Grandma

captainOrbital fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Jul 13, 2021

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY
Warpaint are about to release a new album actually.

https://www.nme.com/news/music/warpaint-hypnotic-new-song-lilys-told-us-all-about-it-2931173

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

warpaint are a good band that i unfairly hated for a long time because they have two songs that are soulcycle-core and got played loving everywhere and i hated them

my friend dragged me to see them live and it was actually a great show, even those songs sounded better divorced of the context of "every hipster coffee shop i've ever been in in my life"

angrygodofjebus
Aug 25, 2005

Drink it up and hunker down
Their last album wasn't good but up until that dredg had an amazing run of albums and then Dan the Automator produced that thing and pretty much killed the band. They supposedly have new stuff recorded, ten years later.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Warpaint and shrooms is basically the best night for me

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

"...and the light is on and burning brightly for the masses."
Fallen Rib

abraham linksys posted:

warpaint are a good band that i unfairly hated for a long time because they have two songs that are soulcycle-core and got played loving everywhere and i hated them

lol, which songs?

I've always been a huge Warpaint fan — I'm not trying to beef, I just never knew who was playing them. I can see it, but I didn't know Soulcycle had appropriated them

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY
new song has to be one of them.

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY

Thom and the Heads posted:

Fang Island. RIP

This one for some reason made me think of Menomena too, apparently they are still a band but have done nothing in nearly a decade....

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

T Bowl posted:

This one for some reason made me think of Menomena too, apparently they are still a band but have done nothing in nearly a decade....

I miss Menomena. If I remember correctly, I seem to remember reading that the three guys in the band, Brent, Justin, and Danny apparently never really fully got on all too well, and wrote each of their songs completely independently of each other, and only came together to record and perform them. Brent left the band in 2011, and in 2012 Justin and Danny released the band's last album, Moms.

All 3 are busy with other projects. I tried listening to their other bands, including Ramona Falls, but none of them were nearly as good as Menomena.

Paperback Writer
May 1, 2006

I saw Warpaint at like 4 fests between 2015-2019 and will at Primavera next year, not sure they went anywhere…

can’t wait for that new album though! Heads Up was so drat good.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

T Bowl posted:

Warpaint are about to release a new album actually.

I'm happy to know about this now.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004

angrygodofjebus posted:

Their last album wasn't good but up until that dredg had an amazing run of albums and then Dan the Automator produced that thing and pretty much killed the band. They supposedly have new stuff recorded, ten years later.

I listened to El Cielo a few days ago for the first time in years and the album is still amazing. I was lucky enough to see then live three times and they put on great shows.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

abraham linksys posted:

kinda shocked they didn't get LCD Soundsystem, wonder if they're taking a break from touring

the answer to this is yes, james murphy doesn't want to tour without having new music and has been taking a break to work on a restaurant and being a dad and whatnot https://pitchfork.com/news/lcd-soundsystems-james-murphy-talks-to-marc-maron-on-wtf-listen/

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet
I saw Bloc Party on the tour for Four, so before the original lineup split. Show was a blast but also kind of a bummer in retrospect because it was total nostalgia bait.

I also saw The Walkmen right before they broke up too and they were loving incredible, absolutely do not get enough love even though they were absolutely the best of that whole scene IMO.

I’m curious to see what happens to Arctic Monkeys from here. The weird off putting follow up to their mainstream crossover smash was kind of what I expected from them but what next? They still haven’t made a bad album IMO, although tranquility base came close it was still interesting and the best songs on it are up their with their best work

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

The Walkmen are very good, I saw them in the tiniest venue and it was terrible but I liked their music!

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

I always like those buzzy synth beats from Chvrches but their lyricism, when you have to pay attention, is often pretty "cringey" as the kids say. Given their past record of hits/misses I think they should stick to writing songs about death and geometry.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
Well, apparently Ed Droste left Grizzly Bear last year. That's devastating.

Yellow House is getting a new pressing on vinyl later this year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJpC9JqSnJk

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

Had never listened to Warpaint before, just a couple songs into their s/t right now but I'm digging it. Good poo poo

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Sharks Eat Bear posted:

Had never listened to Warpaint before, just a couple songs into their s/t right now but I'm digging it. Good poo poo

The Fool is good too.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Nihonniboku posted:

Well, apparently Ed Droste left Grizzly Bear last year. That's devastating.

Yellow House is getting a new pressing on vinyl later this year.

Well that made the re-release excitement temper a bit. I wonder if they can continue on without him (being the founder). Hell farm it out to another singer because I'm sure the other bandmembers haven't given up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY
Yeah I've known for over a year that he left grizzly bear. He said it on some weird cooking podcast that isn't popular and basically said that he just wasn't into it anymore and wants to become a therapist.

When I dug a little deeper too apparently when he was interviewed when they were touring Europe he was saying that the money returns just weren't good enough and they were almost breaking even with their tour to Europe with all the costs involved.

I can't imagine that is actually the case maybe in Europe they weren't making huge profit but in the United States a four-piece band like them and the theaters they were able to sell out they would be making good money. He's also a person who comes from extreme wealth I guess so his own perspective is probably skewed a bit.

So now the band is essentially defunct but there has never been any public announcement and the three other guys are all working on solo stuff.

T Bowl fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Jul 15, 2021