Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

They do look to make sure you haven't been double charged. It happens semi often and when the member realizes they get pissed so they have to try and avoid that.

But yeah also checking to see if you paid for everything. Not necessarily stole. More commonly the cashier's don't check under poo poo in the basket and miss an item

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Valth001
Jul 20, 2014

nwin posted:

I don’t understand two things about Costco:

1) why do they check ID at the door and the checkout? I guess to eliminate people coming in without a membership and trying to buy something/holding up the line when being told they have to buy a membership?

2) why do they check my receipt? Do that many people try and steal stuff after the checkout?

1) At the door is to prevent people from making it to the registers without a membership card. Costco is a membership business and most of the registers are intentionally designed around that by requiring a membership number in order to begin a transaction. Membership signups are not processed at front end registers due to the amount of time they take which would hold up the checkout line for everyone else.

2) The receipt checkers are looking for cashier errors more than theft. It's not hard to overcharge members through double scans or miss items left in carts.

Bigchops
Mar 13, 2005
Biggus Choppus

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

Anyone ever try just walking past the receipt checker person? I'd be interested in hearing how it worked out.

That's a good way to get a block on your account. They'll just watch the camera footage to see where and when you checked out and get your membership # from there.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

They started checking memberships on the way in only recently at my Costco, maybe the last two months or so.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

I have never in my life been to a Costco where you didn't have to flash your card to get in the normal entrance.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

Asking this will just prompt people to repeat Costco's company line "we are helping you not forget merch or you being double charged"

I can confirm based on a checking lady who mumbled everything she checked out loud.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I miss the onion dispenser. :(

And like others said they brought back the condiments but only ketchup and yellow mustard. I don't really like yellow mustard. I want my deli mustard and relish. And I don't even like sweet relish but I get it every time at Costco anyway!

Solvent
Jan 24, 2013

by Hand Knit

Pennywise the Frown posted:

I want my deli mustard and relish.

:same:

I am on a mission to the old Price club on Morena today, the Costco where they built the Spruce Goose as I’m told by old men who work there. It’s definitely the best I’ve ever been to, the costco business center however is a close second with giant chubs of prime ny steak at $11 a pound.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Valth001 posted:

2) The receipt checkers are looking for cashier errors more than theft. It's not hard to overcharge members through double scans or miss items left in carts.

Yeah I don't believe this.

Sure it's what Costco claims but at the end of the day it's pretty easy to forget to scan the bottom of the cart. It's always about shrink reduction. Always. Helping customers make sure they're not double charged is a nice side effect (that also comes with it's own inventory nightmares).

As for checking memberships in the front, it's incredibly disruptive to have someone load up a full shopping trip on the belt, then not have a card and stonewalling the entire checkout line. You'd think the general population at this point would know about the membership only policy but you'd be surprised. I suspect the real reason is less about silly gatekeeping and more about keeping the front line moving quickly and efficiently.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Solvent posted:

:same:

I am on a mission to the old Price club on Morena today, the Costco where they built the Spruce Goose as I’m told by old men who work there. It’s definitely the best I’ve ever been to, the costco business center however is a close second with giant chubs of prime ny steak at $11 a pound.

I got ice cream and gas there one time, but didn't go inside.

Valth001
Jul 20, 2014

Renegret posted:

Yeah I don't believe this.

Sure it's what Costco claims but at the end of the day it's pretty easy to forget to scan the bottom of the cart. It's always about shrink reduction. Always. Helping customers make sure they're not double charged is a nice side effect (that also comes with it's own inventory nightmares).

How is reducing cashier errors not shrink reduction?

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011

I miss the onion dispenser. :(

And like others said they brought back the condiments but only ketchup and yellow mustard. I don't really like yellow mustard. I want my deli mustard and relish. And I don't even like sweet relish but I get it every time at Costco anyway!
I'm telling you. Bring your onions and condiments with you from home in your purse/fanny pack/backpack/pockets. Mix them all up in a nice little condiment tupperware and put that on your dog like a drat professional. You'll feel a sense of accomplishment and shame that really can't be matched.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
I'm saying there's two different kinds of cashier errors.

The advertised reason, double scanning, which is not shrink.

And the real reason, checking for missing items, which is shrink.

Gravitee
Nov 20, 2003

I just put money in the Magic Fingers!
My cashier today stopped scanning mid order to count because he thought I had more items in the cart than he had scanned. They take it seriously!

I definitely over bought today due to you people. The tri-trip and key lime pie weren't on my list!

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Well that sounds like a reason to continue scanning, not stop scanning.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

A Pack of Kobolds posted:

I have never in my life been to a Costco where you didn't have to flash your card to get in the normal entrance.
yeah we've been going to price club/price costco since like early 90s and never once have people not had to flash a card. sometimes they're looking away/not there for a quick minute, but there's always been door checker with counter and membership check.

but yeah just say "im here for pharmacy" if you forget

anyways our food court is closed for remodelling or something and it's extremely blessed (no more polish + kraut + onions = fail). it's so much nicer getting out of the store now. ours isnt an extremely large costco and the food court butts right into the exit-lanes from all the checkouts and into the lane of everyone trying to buy/queue for food and it's always a logistic disaster trying to get out and to the door, especially when people who just checked out pulling out stoppign in the 1 tiny open-space to check their receipt with a ton of people behind them.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Renegret posted:

As for checking memberships in the front, it's incredibly disruptive to have someone load up a full shopping trip on the belt, then not have a card and stonewalling the entire checkout line. You'd think the general population at this point would know about the membership only policy but you'd be surprised. I suspect the real reason is less about silly gatekeeping and more about keeping the front line moving quickly and efficiently.

And.... isn't there a rule that meat can't be put back on the shelf? Imagine some yahoo bringing $500 in beef loins up front, not having a membership, then it all has to go to the dumpster.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

GORDON posted:

And.... isn't there a rule that meat can't be put back on the shelf? Imagine some yahoo bringing $500 in beef loins up front, not having a membership, then it all has to go to the dumpster.

stores will usually only chuck meat that has either gotten room temperature, or left the store itself.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Renegret posted:

I'm saying there's two different kinds of cashier errors.

The advertised reason, double scanning, which is not shrink.

And the real reason, checking for missing items, which is shrink.

I think you just skimmed over the part of the post that said "missed items left in cart" i.e., items not scanned.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

GORDON posted:

Must be a local thing then because it's absolutely not true here.

My BJs keeps a mini fridge up front at the podium and cold stuff that people changed their minds on go in there until someone has an opportunity to reshop it. Cold, not frozen. Frozen someone just runs it back. If it was abandoned on a shelf or something for an unknown amount of time it gets written off, which is another reason why employees would just rather you were just honest with them in the first place.

Similarly, my local grocery store, someone on the front line will just run it back right away. I want to say customer service might have a fridge but I generally don't change my mind at the register very often to bother paying attention.

I can't speak for my Costco because if I'm at Costco, I've already resigned to throwing my money away so I just commit to the cart as is.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

FCKGW posted:

I think you just skimmed over the part of the post that said "missed items left in cart" i.e., items not scanned.

Yeah

100% this

It's been a long day

e: thing is I was thinking of an article that I read once that amounted to:

The receipt checkers are there to protect you! They're checking for double scans! Not for theft!

Yeah, but no. It ignored that most shrink isn't theft but cashier error.

Renegret fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Jul 14, 2021

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

fizzymercury posted:

I'm telling you. Bring your onions and condiments with you from home in your purse/fanny pack/backpack/pockets. Mix them all up in a nice little condiment tupperware and put that on your dog like a drat professional. You'll feel a sense of accomplishment and shame that really can't be matched.

The shame would outweigh the accomplishment. Plus I can't twist the corkscrew. :(

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

The shame would outweigh the accomplishment. Plus I can't twist the corkscrew. :(

Buy your own

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Gaius Marius posted:

Buy your own

gently caress you I want the costco screw.

It is.... precious to me.

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread

Shame?

Lol the ENVY from dudes around you would be palpable :haw:

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
So did the monkey slavery thing really gently caress up Costco's supply? I haven't seen any kind of coconut milk in the store in months.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Got a dog. Condiments are back, but no deli mustard. No onions. The man in front of me inquired about onions, so it's not just us.

Also picked up the Coho cooler yeti knockoff. And a case of Hook or Crook Field Blend red wine. 92 points on some wine rating. $5.79 per bottle.

FogHelmut fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Jul 14, 2021

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

And I don't even like sweet relish but I get it every time at Costco anyway!

The only time I eat sweet relish is on a dog. Its just great on a hot dog. Pairs well with the mustard and onion.

Otherwise its dill relish. All day.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I have made tartar sauce with sweet relish and a bunch of actual dill.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Chinatown posted:

The only time I eat sweet relish is on a dog. Its just great on a hot dog. Pairs well with the mustard and onion.

Otherwise its dill relish. All day.

Chicago dogs BIATCH!@

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

That's a full pickle tho

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes
In over 30 years I have never once been held up at the exit because something in my cart didn't appear on the receipt, but I cannot count the number of times I've been held up while they verify that I did in fact purchase 3 whole packs of bacon (or something else) like the receipt says and that they're all in my cart.

It makes me feel like Costco cares about me.

sexy tiger boobs
Aug 23, 2002

Up shit creek with a turd for a paddle.

Gaius Marius posted:

That's a full pickle tho

Pickles and relish

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

pentyne posted:

So did the monkey slavery thing really gently caress up Costco's supply? I haven't seen any kind of coconut milk in the store in months.

Pretty much it's a goner yeah. it was spotty even before the Chaokoh thing. they sometimes carry Thai Kitchen (which is pretty much just Chaokoh anyways so lol) but I saw it like once many moons ago.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

There were pallets of Thai Kitchen coconut milk at my Costco

Were they monkey slavers, too? Was it just like, every coconut milk company? I only saw one article about chaokah

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.
My Co now has the Self Checkouts (6 of them in a cluster) and I love them when I go at lunch or after work for a few things.

Scan card.
Tap card to payment area.
Scan items.
Hit Finished scanning button.
Receipt prints.
Grab items and go.

I got 2 jars of Almond Butter and a box of Contact Solution at lunch today and it took me about 1 minute to check out.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation
I let my emotions get the best of me today at costco. I tried to pick up my new glasses (the same pair I ordered a few months ago that our pup chewed the ears off of) at the pick-up sign and they made me take a number and wait in line instead of just handing the glasses to me and letting me leave. So I waited an hour for the 2 people working to make it through the people ahead of me. I ate some pizza. Had a refill. I wandered the aisles. I stood for 30 minutes while some jackasses couldn't decide which pair of glasses to get. Then they finally called my number and, it pains me to admit this, I was not my normal friendly self. I didn't stomp and pout or go get a free gas slip, but I only said thank you and I didn't tell them that I hope they have a nice day. I am going to call the management and compliment the two under-paid women working in the optical department and advise them to let people take their glasses without adjustment if they so desire a la contacts, and they can wait in the line if they want their glasses fitted in store.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Barry posted:

I've been banging this exact same drum since I worked retail in the late 90's. Having to deal with the worst of humanity informs your attitude and decisions for the rest of your life.

Absolutely unperson anyone who's never worked a cash register.

Unironic SERVICEindustry experience GUARANTEES CITIZENSHIP

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

shame on an IGA posted:

Absolutely unperson anyone who's never worked a cash register.

Unironic SERVICEindustry experience GUARANTEES CITIZENSHIP

Same

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

I learned that my Costco has ceviche and I'm pretty interested in that. Any thread experience?