Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Sam Mitchell did a great job developing guys, just doing so at the expense of wins. He's a good example of how that works sometimes, players were put in position where they could learn to do things and it cost Ws. As an assistant I guess he may have done a decent job in Memphis I guess?

He's also a really nice, cool guy and gives very informative interviews.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

morestuff posted:

And Sexton is a guy on his rookie deal they're still trying to dump

Sexton is flawed and doesn't fit their roster very well but he is a good player. Kevin Knox should be playing in China

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Trade Sexton for Wiseman before you take that Knicks crap platter.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
This Team USA squad is not going to be good enough to give Love enough garbage minutes to increase his trade value.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

MourningView posted:

Sexton is flawed and doesn't fit their roster very well but he is a good player. Kevin Knox should be playing in China

Yeah, but there's still a lot working against Cleveland. Sexton's not really a franchise cornerstone type, so the list of teams that would be willing to center their offense around him and would also want to pay him in a year is pretty short.

Some contender could maybe trade for him with the idea of turning him into a super sixth man, but the return there is probably going to be worse

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

morestuff posted:

Yeah, but there's still a lot working against Cleveland. Sexton's not really a franchise cornerstone type, so the list of teams that would be willing to center their offense around him and would also want to pay him in a year is pretty short.

Some contender could maybe trade for him with the idea of turning him into a super sixth man, but the return there is probably going to be worse

He'd make a great Mav via the Porzingis/Allen trade.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!

Spacebump posted:

I kinda like that if Cleveland is landing Mobley.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Lockback posted:

Sam Mitchell did a great job developing guys, just doing so at the expense of wins. He's a good example of how that works sometimes, players were put in position where they could learn to do things and it cost Ws. As an assistant I guess he may have done a decent job in Memphis I guess?

He's also a really nice, cool guy and gives very informative interviews.

He got a raw deal in Minnesota, good to see he might get another chance.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Spacebump posted:

By all accounts they're extending Allen this summer

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

I am happy that Sam Mitchell won't have to deal with Leo Rautins' farts any longer.

Cart Mountain
Nov 1, 2004

Sexton is a weird fit in a starting 5 for a lot of teams IMO but he would be Real Cool as a 6th man somewhere

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

#1 Pelican Fan
🤔

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8jp54yEFGk

https://twitter.com/FearTheBrown/status/1414995055346081795?s=20

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Cart Mountain posted:

Sexton is a weird fit in a starting 5 for a lot of teams IMO but he would be Real Cool as a 6th man somewhere

If Randle's passing from last year is real the Knicks are one of the places where you can probably get away with starting him, but I don't know how much I'd really trust Randle to be an elite initiator again

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007
is Toppin really already a certified bust?

e: the most he played in a game all season was 26 minutes. also he's 23, hmm

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Stevie Lee posted:

is Toppin really already a certified bust?

e: the most he played in a game all season was 26 minutes. also he's 23, hmm

I'm probably being a little harsh on him but he was not good last year and yeah given his age it's a bad sign. His whole selling point was that he was supposed to be fairly plug and play as an offensive player and it just didn't translate very well.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

I don't totally trust rookie numbers under Thibs

Edit: I'm forgetting about Quickley and, going back, Rose. Maybe he just stinks

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Marc Stein is saying LeBron and AD plan to play the 4 and 5 respectively more this year, so the Lakers are going to go after a playmaker and for some reason they think Lonzo Ball is a playmaker so they are going after him.

The Lonzo stuff seems pretty ludicrous but Stein usually is pretty good at Lakers free agency news when he does report on it.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!
That clearly means Kwahi is signing with the Lakers.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Rick posted:

Marc Stein is saying LeBron and AD plan to play the 4 and 5 respectively more this year, so the Lakers are going to go after a playmaker and for some reason they think Lonzo Ball is a playmaker so they are going after him.

The Lonzo stuff seems pretty ludicrous but Stein usually is pretty good at Lakers free agency news when he does report on it.

Nothing about Lonzo's game makes sense with Lebron. Not a real pg, only a transition passer, can't break down defenses, not a great catch and shoot player, not a great defender. I guess he's a good guard rebounder. The lakers would be better off with Josh Hart than Lonzo

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

i feel like lonzo would be good on the lakers but yeah not cause of his playmaking.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Rick posted:

LeBron is gonna have the ball like 90% of the time he's on the floor no matter what he says he's going to do or how much he demands more playmaking so Lonzo is probably fine as a 3 and D spot up guy. I am unclear how they are planning to pay him though

Dejan Bimble posted:

Nothing about Lonzo's game makes sense with Lebron. Not a real pg, only a transition passer, can't break down defenses, not a great catch and shoot player, not a great defender. I guess he's a good guard rebounder. The lakers would be better off with Josh Hart than Lonzo

He's a good defender and shoots over 40% on catch and shoot 3s. That's the only shot he can make. His problem is that he can't dribble or shoot off the dribble at all but that doesn't really matter if LeBron is on the court

MourningView fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Jul 14, 2021

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Someone photoshop Ball in a Lakers jersey

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

MourningView posted:

LeBron is gonna have the ball like 90% of the time he's on the floor no matter what he says he's going to do or how much he demands more playmaking so Lonzo is probably fine as a 3 and D spot up guy. I am unclear how they are planning to pay him though

He's a good defender and shoots over 40% on catch and shoot 3s. That's the only shot he can make. His problem is that he can't dribble or shoot off the dribble at all but that doesn't really matter if LeBron is on the court

I'll let Kibner explain his catch and shoot problems so I look less foolish

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

#1 Pelican Fan

Dejan Bimble posted:

I'll let Kibner explain his catch and shoot problems so I look less foolish

Fine. His catch and shoot is good. Unless you are asking him to come off screens or any kind of movement. He's a stationary shooter. No one comes out to guard him so all his catch and shoot attempts are wide open.

Which probably works fine in an offense with both LeBron and AD. He just does nothing else that the defense is scared of and they aren't really scared of that one thing he is good at.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I’m the second half of the season the Lakers actually really struggled to find stationary shooters and swapping Lonzo for Schroder or KCP makes the Lakers even more predictable.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

#1 Pelican Fan

Rick posted:

I’m the second half of the season the Lakers actually really struggled to find stationary shooters and swapping Lonzo for Schroder or KCP makes the Lakers even more predictable.

He can also take a bunch of side-step and step-back 3s and convert them at like a 25% rate!

Lonzo would be excellent player to have on your team if he was paid like PJ Tucker or Jae Crowder. But he wants big starter money.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dejan Bimble posted:

Signing Lonzo is a good move for the Lakers because LaMelo is going to force his way to the Lakers one way or another. This would be an ok short term move and a good long term move to help keep the Ball family happy before LaMelo can make a trade demand or sign a qualifying offer.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
I dunno. Lonzo is also 23 and still getting better.

I wouldn't pay him max money, but would pay him more than Crowder or Tucker.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

swapping ball for schroder makes sense for a starting 5 but then they suddenly need a 6th man type to run the offense when lebron sits. is that the THT big jump? I dont know but nobody else on the roster is really that answer, kuz included.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

#1 Pelican Fan

Dexo posted:

I dunno. Lonzo is also 23 and still getting better.

I wouldn't pay him max money, but would pay him more than Crowder or Tucker.

I don't think he brings more wins to a team than those guys, tbh. But I'm also down on Lonzo after watching him closely for two seasons.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

hifi posted:

swapping ball for schroder makes sense for a starting 5 but then they suddenly need a 6th man type to run the offense when lebron sits. is that the THT big jump? I dont know but nobody else on the roster is really that answer, kuz included.

I kind of think THT is who he is which isn’t a knock on him I just don’t expect a leap.

The bench offense is going to be even more critical since they are almost for sure losing Harrell.

Kibner posted:

I don't think he brings more wins to a team than those guys, tbh. But I'm also down on Lonzo after watching him closely for two seasons.

This is also why I am down on Lonzo. That and the money part you mentioned.

creamcorn
Oct 26, 2007

automatic gun for fast, continuous firing
if you could put tht's finishing with lonzo's shooting/secondary handling into one guy, that guy would be the ideal offball laker. buss needs to invest in a fly machine.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

#1 Pelican Fan
https://twitter.com/Candace_Parker/status/1415311818071756806?s=19

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004
gently caress yeah

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1415332786282582020?s=19

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

By appearing on the cover, Candace is likely the only part of the game that has its poo poo together. Glad that
she gets some of this spotlight.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

These would all be good and long overdue hires.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

MourningView posted:

These would all be good and long overdue hires.

It seems like Ham had been a perpetual candidate for half a decade.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
Darvin teaches young players how to throw poo poo down

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

https://twitter.com/ShamsCharania/status/1415692839296585729?s=19