Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

mcmagic posted:

LOL @ Lovecraft Country being nominated for best series. That show was such loving trash.

It had some great individual episodes at least, even if the overarching plot was a total mess.

No Small Axe is such a terrible omission oh my god

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

quote:

iwot productions and Radar Pictures have set “Thor” and “X-Men: First Class” screenwriter Zack Stentz to pen a the first of a planned film trilogy adaptation of Robert Jordan’s bestselling book series “The Wheel of Time”.

The first film will be set several millennia before the time of the books, in a period known as the ‘Age of Legends’ – a futuristic utopia powered by a magical force shared by men and women known as the ‘One Power’.

When an unspeakable evil is unleashed upon the world, civilization descends into chaos, and war blankets the globe. When men using the One Power become insane and destroy much of the planet, a small band of women unite under the White Tower, and are humanity’s last hope of survival.

The project will complement the storylines soon to be seen in the big-budget “Wheel of Time” TV series which has been in the works for years at Sony Pictures Television and Amazon Studios. The first season of that series finally wrapped production the other month and is due for release later this year.

No studio partner or distributor for the ‘Age of Legends’ picture has been named at this time. Rick Selvage, Larry Mondragon, Ted Field and Justin Smith will produce – three of them are executive producers on the forthcoming Amazon Prime series.

Pretty loving ballsy of them. Don't even know if the show is any good.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

zoux posted:

Coffin Flop snubbed again

loving Spectrum.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Escobarbarian posted:

Could be under Made For Television Movie, but I'm not holding my breath. Hoping this will get more people seeing The Underground Railroad though.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
The Hamilton nominations feel like cheating. It's a really great play, we know! That's why it won every loving Tony! Just because they filmed it doesn't make it a TV show, c'mon.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

CapnAndy posted:

The Hamilton nominations feel like cheating. It's a really great play, we know! That's why it won every loving Tony! Just because they filmed it doesn't make it a TV show, c'mon.

I agree. Plus LMM shouldn’t be nominated for actor in the first place because he is just not that good of a performer and it’s especially obvious in the filmed version. Like I’m a huge Hamilton fan but come on now

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
glad Ted Lasso got a lot of nominations

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
I like how Best Supporting Actor in a Comedy is just every guy in Ted Lasso.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
TV kinda sucked poo poo the last year...

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Aardvark! posted:

glad Ted Lasso got a lot of nominations

Agreed! Shame For All Mankind didn’t get any but it seems like Apple were focusing on Lasso with their awards marketing

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
It's a shame that Dispatches from Elsewhere didn't get a nomination given the talented cast. Guess it was too quirky for people.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Dispatches was eligible for last year’s awards, not this year’s. But it didn’t get anything then either.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

mcmagic posted:

TV kinda sucked poo poo the last year...

Yeah, I'm getting that sense too.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
A real game would be "What was the first episode of Doctor Who to air in your lifetime?" but I'm pretty sure that still leaves us 80's babies out to dry, as well...
:laugh:

Also, it's Shark Week and this poo poo is b-a-n-a-n-a-s:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OEVtwlNZnu0

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

Escobarbarian posted:

Dispatches was eligible for last year’s awards, not this year’s. But it didn’t get anything then either.

My bad!

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

A real game would be "What was the first episode of Doctor Who to air in your lifetime?" but I'm pretty sure that still leaves us 80's babies out to dry, as well...
:laugh:

I was curious and looked this up, and turns out the first Doctor Who scene in my lifetime was Sylvester McCoy with a wig regenerating into Sylvester McCoy without a wig.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Escobarbarian posted:

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Escobarbarian posted:

I agree. Plus LMM shouldn’t be nominated for actor in the first place because he is just not that good of a performer and it’s especially obvious in the filmed version. Like I’m a huge Hamilton fan but come on now

They're priming him for an egot

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I think Juno Temple is really good on Ted Lasso. Never seen her do comedy before and it's a shame not even a nomination.

e: oh she did get nominated. Ok i'm fine then.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I'm not really clear why there's a "Lead Actor in A Movie" category. Like the Oscars was a ton of streaming films, right? We're not pretending a movie released to Amazon or Netflix or Disney+ is "tv", right? So why is Hamilton?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Milo and POTUS posted:

They're priming him for an egot

He already has an Emmy

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

An Eegah! perhaps.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
He only needs an Oscar to get the EGOT. I didnt see In the Heights yet, but that might get him one for the music side.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

swickles posted:

He only needs an Oscar to get the EGOT. I didnt see In the Heights yet, but that might get him one for the music side.
And he's clearly going to write the original songs for every single Disney movie until he gets one.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

STAC Goat posted:

I'm not really clear why there's a "Lead Actor in A Movie" category. Like the Oscars was a ton of streaming films, right? We're not pretending a movie released to Amazon or Netflix or Disney+ is "tv", right? So why is Hamilton?

Holdover from when television only commanded respect when it aped film, I suspect.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Season 3 of Miracle Workers premiers tonight!

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Worried about the new showrunner not being able to nail the voice of the previous seasons, but hopeful.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

STAC Goat posted:

Don't the Oscars still have the "must have played at least x number of times in a theater" requirement? I remember that being a thing with The Irishman. Presumably the movies that don't meet that standard would be the ones going for Emmys instead.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

ShakeZula posted:

Don't the Oscars still have the "must have played at least x number of times in a theater" requirement? I remember that being a thing with The Irishman. Presumably the movies that don't meet that standard would be the ones going for Emmys instead.

IIRC due to the pandemic they lowered the requirement to one week and opened up more cities that were valid locations for the run.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Argus Zant posted:

It depends on the studio in question and the specific movie; bigger movies with more hype around them (sequels, primarily) can see the studio demanding a bigger cut. I'm not entirely sure if it was ever confirmed, but the smoke on the street around the release of the last Avengers movie is that Disney was demanding 100% of the release weekend box office take.

Disney had some insane rules for theaters that wanted to show Endgame. Not only did they demand 100 percent of release weekend box office, they insisted that any theater that wanted Endgame opening weekend had to commit at least 75 percent of its screens to it for the first two or three weeks.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Timby posted:

Disney had some insane rules for theaters that wanted to show Endgame. Not only did they demand 100 percent of release weekend box office, they insisted that any theater that wanted Endgame opening weekend had to commit at least 75 percent of its screens to it for the first two or three weeks.

Wow, it's a wonder why movie theaters are struggling.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Part of me want to see the inevitable Star Wars and Marvel crossover blockbuster but another part wants to see the Disney corporation destroyed

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Cojawfee posted:

Wow, it's a wonder why movie theaters are struggling.

They had similar requirements for The Rise of Skywalker, which ... just :laffo:.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I'm personally convinced that Disney is eventually gonna buy a bunch of multiplexes and build like these mini Disney Land Theaters that show nothing but Marvel, Star Wars, and Pixar.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Randomly poking around IMDB and just discovered that they made a Rush Hour TV show? :lol:

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt4085584/?ref_=nm_flmg_act_18

To top it off, it was created by Bill Lawrence. :wtf:

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

STAC Goat posted:

I'm personally convinced that Disney is eventually gonna buy a bunch of multiplexes and build like these mini Disney Land Theaters that show nothing but Marvel, Star Wars, and Pixar.

There have been rumors of them doing so--potentially even buying AMC or Regal outright--ever since the Supreme Court struck down the Paramount Consent Decrees a few years ago (studios can get into the business of owning theaters beginning in August 2022, I believe).

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Can't wait until WB starts churning out monthly Batman films to sell figures/keep their theaters afloat

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

mcmagic posted:

LOL @ Lovecraft Country being nominated for best series. That show was such loving trash.

More like a Top 10 kind of show, definitely a ton of hatred for it on these forums though, the thread for it was the fuckin trash.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
I feel like people mentioned it here a few times and it was mostly positive?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
It was a mess as a whole, but I enjoyed individual parts of it and wanted to see a second season.