Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

On one hand, the serial narrative was good because the cast was amazing. On the other, it was just soooooo clunky tying all those individual stories together. It's pretty on brand with what authors like Asimov and Vance had to do in spinning short stories into novels, but it left a lot on the table in terms of needing to use screen time to tie the stories into each other versus more deeply investigating the themes of each episode.

e: Wow, they cancelled it two weeks before the nominations were released? Baffling.

theflyingexecutive fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Jul 14, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I just caught up on Kevin Can F**k Himself and I'm really curious if we ever see the real Kevin. Early on I wasn't sure how to take him. A lovely husband and selfish rear end, sure. But then the episode where Allison opens up to Patty kind of opened my eyes along with hers. The stuff Kevin does in the sitcom format sucks but also gets watered down. But the way Allison describes it in the dark real world suddenly takes a much more sinister tone. Suddenly I'm watching all those sitcom scenes and wondering is Kevin yelling? Is he threatening her? How rough is this? What does Kevin even look like? Its interesting we've never seen his dad or Neil in the real world either. They're this goofy sitcom crew when we see them, but the real world version of that could be so much uglier.

That's obviously the point and the show does a really great job with it. I'm just curious if they every show us reality and I'm really nervous and curious to see how horrible that reality is.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Gotta agree. I really hope they show that by the finale.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
I'm wondering if everything we see is happening as is, minus the laugh track. Even though it's filmed like a sitcom, the things he does are still lovely, which I think is the point? The idea being that it looks all cute and good when delivered by a clown and accompanied by a studio audience, but it's not actually okay behavior no matter how funny everyone else finds it. When we see them on the phone with each other, Annie's side is "real" but the things she's responding to are still clearly ludicrous sitcom things like Kevin setting up an escape room in his basement.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I feel like the show is showing us more of other people reacting to Kevin in the real world and the vibe seems to be that things are way worse than what we're seeing. Like Patty isn't actually that shocked or shaken to find out Allison has been thinking of murdering Kevin. There's no real fight that he doesn't deserve it. I don't really know how to real world translate the escape room, but Allison's also not there for any of that so maybe its just all fantasy which is why it was the broadest of situations so far? Or maybe the broader the comedy gets covers up Kevin's worse behavior? Like maybe he was just on a bender and belligerent as hell with randos in the basement?

The thought that made it kind of click for me was that first episode scene where Allison makes him breakfast and he comically rejects it. I starting imagining a real life scene without the jokes and instead where he throws the plate across the room and yells at his wife about how easy her job is and how much he's been screwed over and she doesn't get it. It became this horrible, abusive scene in my head. And I wonder if all these scenes are like. Drunk assholes throwing beer glasses at Allison. Kevin obsessively demanding to know where Allison is and screaming at her over the phone. Its just got me really wondering and imagining whole other scenes now.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

The gently caress is this

https://twitter.com/tooningout/status/1414978952993640448?s=21

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

STAC Goat posted:

I just caught up on Kevin Can F**k Himself and I'm really curious if we ever see the real Kevin. Early on I wasn't sure how to take him. A lovely husband and selfish rear end, sure. But then the episode where Allison opens up to Patty kind of opened my eyes along with hers. The stuff Kevin does in the sitcom format sucks but also gets watered down. But the way Allison describes it in the dark real world suddenly takes a much more sinister tone. Suddenly I'm watching all those sitcom scenes and wondering is Kevin yelling? Is he threatening her? How rough is this? What does Kevin even look like? Its interesting we've never seen his dad or Neil in the real world either. They're this goofy sitcom crew when we see them, but the real world version of that could be so much uglier.

That's obviously the point and the show does a really great job with it. I'm just curious if they every show us reality and I'm really nervous and curious to see how horrible that reality is.

I thought for sure the episode where they get the replacement Patty was going to end up having him in the real world, and being incredibly terrifying.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
I'm not discounting that such a scene could happen, but I think the message would be very different if there was a "real" Kevin and he was more obviously abusive. The show is pretty clear about calling out how Kevin's behavior is enabled by people who think he's funny, and it paints the audience who laughs at that sort of humor as being complicit--even the title screen makes that apparent. If they were to show that, instead, he's actually super mean and very obviously bad, then the audience doesn't have as much to feel bad for because they were "lied" to--what's important is that its impact on the wife becomes visible and that we empathize with that, instead of us waiting for the ball to drop so we can validate her feelings.

I think the more likely possibility is that we'll see Kevin and his friends acting exactly the same, but it'll be shot in the "real" style and devoid of laughter, with us empathizing.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Argue posted:

I think the more likely possibility is that we'll see Kevin and his friends acting exactly the same, but it'll be shot in the "real" style and devoid of laughter, with us empathizing.

Wait, wasn’t this what we were talking about?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I just hope she murders him. Murder is bad and you probably shouldn't root for a character to be murdered, but that's the adventure I'm here for

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Medullah posted:

I thought for sure the episode where they get the replacement Patty was going to end up having him in the real world, and being incredibly terrifying.

It's a horror show even when the scenes are shot in sitcom style. That's the whole point.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
Bosch the character is the absolutely worst thing about Bosch the tv show, i'm not sure how I feel about a spinoff where none of the likeable characters are going to be there.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

I have a potentially really naive question, but here goes: I'd like to find some overview of the new TV shows this year, similar to how ADTRW does the seasonal overview threads. Is there a website for this? Anything? I have no idea how to go about finding new shows other than just browsing what's new on netflix.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

StrixNebulosa posted:

I have a potentially really naive question, but here goes: I'd like to find some overview of the new TV shows this year, similar to how ADTRW does the seasonal overview threads. Is there a website for this? Anything? I have no idea how to go about finding new shows other than just browsing what's new on netflix.

AV Club does a monthly 'what's new this month' thing.

https://www.avclub.com/annie-murphy-rose-byrne-and-loki-will-keep-you-glued-1847006871

Victory Lap
Feb 25, 2001
I find, for me, Alan Sepinwall tends to cover most of the shows I'm into and a lot I'm not. Here's an article from a little bit back of his picks for the shows of 2021 so far.

https://www.rollingstone.com/tv/tv-lists/best-shows-2021-so-far-1186981/pose-fx-3-1187009/

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Thank you both! Time to see what's on TV! :tipshat:

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Cojawfee posted:

Wow, it's a wonder why movie theaters are struggling.
Movie theaters aren't in the business of selling movie tickets. They make all their money off concessions. The only reason they show movies is so that people will show up to be sold concessions to; they only charge for the tickets because that's how the studios make their money, and if the studios don't make money they won't make any more movies, and the theaters need a steady supply of new movies to make the people keep showing up.

My grandfather used to work as a commercial leasing agent and he'd tell me stories about how the theaters would always offer a percentage of the ticket sales, and he knew to demand a percentage of the concessions instead.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Well, news on the Dexter front his sister is back within his head for the series

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

I really want to watch Kevin Can gently caress Himself because the premise is really interesting to me, but they do a really good job setting up a horrible abusive situation so it's literally triggering to watch. Maybe I'll get lucky and eventually someone will fill out the episode synopses on Wikipedia.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

GreenNight posted:

Well, news on the Dexter front his sister is back within his head for the series
Get Masuka and Doakes in there and we've got a stew goin.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

If it was Sens8 they'd all be fuckin'

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Don Cheadle absolutely kills it in Black Monday.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I'm watching a spy show called The Little Drummer Girl starring Florence Pugh and man she's wiping the floor even with actors like Michael Shannon and Alexander Skarsgard. I think she was completely wasted in Black Widow. The Marvel execs must have seen this show and thought yep put that person in a spy movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9IP6qUaw5tM

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Mu Zeta posted:

I'm watching a spy show called The Little Drummer Girl starring Florence Pugh and man she's wiping the floor even with actors like Michael Shannon and Alexander Skarsgard. I think she was completely wasted in Black Widow. The Marvel execs must have seen this show and thought yep put that person in a spy movie.

Supposedly they were blown away by her in Black Widow and she is the new Black Widow.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Like the John le Carre novel The Little Drummer Girl? I didn't know they made a show of that, The Night Manager was also good.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

GreenNight posted:

Supposedly they were blown away by her in Black Widow and she is the new Black Widow.

Yeah she was good in the movie but I think the role was way too small

And she had to do a stupid accent

Mu Zeta fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Jul 15, 2021

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

I think the movie was long enough. Best she can hope for is a Disney+ show next year. Which would own tbh.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I mean, the assumption is that she is going to show up in the Hawkeye TV show which is this year.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Mu Zeta posted:

Only thing I've seen Florence Pugh in has been a few Little Women clips, and I thought she was phenomenal. I should probably get around to watching that, and I hear she is great in Midsommar.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

muscles like this! posted:

I mean, the assumption is that she is going to show up in the Hawkeye TV show which is this year.

Oh yeah I forgot about that show.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Mu Zeta posted:

Yeah this is great and she's great in it.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

I watched Black Widow on Monday and after doing so the first thing out of my mouth was "Jeez, Yelena (Florence Pugh) kinda stole the whole movie, huh?" A friend then reminded me that this film is supposed to be the hand-off of the Black Widow title from ScarJo to Pugh so, yeah, makes sense.

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Jul 15, 2021

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

DaveKap posted:

I watched Black Widow on Monday and after doing so the first thing out of my mouth was "Jeez, Yelena (Florence Pugh) kinda stole the whole movie, huh?" A friend then reminded me that this film is supposed to be the hand-off of the Black Widow
title from ScarJo to Pugh so, yeah, makes sense.

The movie was about the vest, it has so many pockets!

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Big Mean Jerk posted:

It was a mess as a whole, but I enjoyed individual parts of it and wanted to see a second season.

It really deteriorated as it went on. Such a waste of the actors they got.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Miracle Workers opener was solid. Seems like the showrunner change hasn’t affected it too much.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Mu Zeta posted:

And she had to do a stupid accent

If Wanda is anything to go by the stupid accent will go away in later movies.

Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006

CapnAndy posted:

Movie theaters aren't in the business of selling movie tickets. They make all their money off concessions.
Movie theaters do not make all their money off concessions.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Movie theaters make all their money off of Terminator: Salvation arcade games.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
I don't know why I loving do this poo poo.

American Horror Stories, is a hulu made spin off of american horror story. So it doesn't include any of the actors that work on the main show. I really hope these really are short stories because they are so bad. I dub this first one American Horror Stories : groverhaus.

Watch at your own peril.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Tenzarin posted:

So it doesn't include any of the actors that work on the main show.

Uhh, no, I've seen the first two episodes and this is 100% incorrect.

(It's also a "F/X on Hulu" show, which I get the sense is just code for "we're winding down F/X as a channel, this is the new F/X".)