Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

DaveKap posted:

Let's discuss the beginning of the episode and what exactly this means:

I'll start.

I have no idea.

There is a theory that every black hole event horizon is a universe, and our universe is just a manifestation on the bubble of another singularity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I think if there hadn't been a season two announcement with this the villain out of nowhere would have been kind of narratively disappointing. But I've seen tons of TV shows that have introduced a new villain in the last episode of a season. It's done all the time on shows with multi seasonal arcs.

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

X-O posted:

This never would have happened if Tony Stark had made a Hulk size elevator.

:orks: HULK HAVE CLAUSTROPHOBIA

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008
That was loving FANTASTIC!

I never did get into superhero comics as a kid other than a brief stint with Black Panther, and one of my favorite things about the MCU is that as new characters are introduced I then get to go learn all about them and their history in the comics and then delve into the comics and it's just wonderful.

I cannot WAIT to see how this all unfolds in time. Also Jonathan Majors was absolutely amazing and I loved the poo poo out of that whole conversation.

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008
I am so confused.

Why are they using “timeline” and “universe” interchangeably? Why does Kang care about variants (Alligator Loki etc) if they are in a different universe?

Surely a universe has multiple timelines within it, and those wouldn’t affect another universes?

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
I love that they hinted at a Wizard of Oz but ended with a Willy Wonka. Wrong crazy loner.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

Raged posted:

As someone who has no idea who Kang this episode was boring and frankly crap. Friends I was watching it with kept saying "get to the point" with that needlessly long and boring exposition. I could not agree with them more.

As someone who is all in on the MCU, and who knew who this guy was because of all the discussion here and elsewhere, I’m sad to say I felt the same mostly.

Really liked the last 10 minutes, excited to see where it all goes next, but the 15 minute monologue did nothing for me. Seems to be a ton of people here totally digging it for the performance, but… eh, it was just a regular dude talking for a very long time. Maybe I’ll get into it more on a rewatch, I’ll certainly try.

Also, that mid credits scene was certainly… functional. To the point of being almost an unintentional troll.

Desperate Character
Apr 13, 2009
this was my favorite out of all three marvel tv finales and I just loved every bit of it, especially when Johnathan Majors goes from being all happy that everything is set in stone but then realizes "oh gently caress the timeline just split". I'm excited for the fact we are getting a season 2. I feel like people who don't like the fact his character wasn't explicitly foreshadowed throughout the show need to realize that this episode is an introduction to his entry into the universe; the TVA followed his orders so he was directly involved throughout the entire series just not known. If we knew who he was earlier it wouldn't have really changed things (compared to Agatha, which let people knowledgeable of comics guess part of the twist that she was involved but we later find out it was ultimately Wanda who caused the problem). I don't see a benefit in the story by having him in previous episodes and I liked the fact we didn't know who the hell was behind it all until the last episode.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

live with fruit posted:

I love that they hinted at a Wizard of Oz but ended with a Willy Wonka. Wrong crazy loner.

Yeah, this was basically Charlie and the Chocolate Factory if Charlie fell in the chocolate river and Veruca Salt and Mike Teevee took over the factory only to turn it over to an actually evil Slugworth.

Klungar fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Jul 14, 2021

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
One interesting thing about this finale is that you have to watch this to understand everything that's going to happen. The MCU keeps talking about how you'll be able to get by without the shows but this is where the multiverse blows open and Kang is introduced. Or at least, it'll be very surprising if this isn't a key chapter.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Parkingtigers posted:

As someone who is all in on the MCU, and who knew who this guy was because of all the discussion here and elsewhere, I’m sad to say I felt the same mostly.

Really liked the last 10 minutes, excited to see where it all goes next, but the 15 minute monologue did nothing for me. Seems to be a ton of people here totally digging it for the performance, but… eh, it was just a regular dude talking for a very long time. Maybe I’ll get into it more on a rewatch, I’ll certainly try.

Also, that mid credits scene was certainly… functional. To the point of being almost an unintentional troll.

I had similar feelings. Wasn't a huge fan of Kang and I'm glad the next version of the character will presumably be quite different. I don't mind the cliffhanger / lack of closure but I felt some of that was franchise building at the expense of the show itself

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I wish there was a better way to deliver exposition from a time-travelling dimension-hopping overlord with unimaginable powers than sitting at his desk listening to him monologue but oh well.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

live with fruit posted:

One interesting thing about this finale is that you have to watch this to understand everything that's going to happen. The MCU keeps talking about how you'll be able to get by without the shows but this is where the multiverse blows open and Kang is introduced. Or at least, it'll be very surprising if this isn't a key chapter.

considering this has all happened outside of time, the multiverse may well have always existed as far as most people know -- but yeah I bet the next Dr. Strange will have a "something has seriously just changed" explanation

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

eke out posted:

considering this has all happened outside of time, the multiverse may well have always existed as far as most people know -- but yeah I bet the next Dr. Strange will have a "something has seriously just changed" explanation

I'm also hoping for an explanation as to how Mysterio knew about all of this.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Wasn’t Mysterio just lying?

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Big Mean Jerk posted:

He was lying in that he wasn't really from the multiverse but still somehow got it right that the multiverse exists.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Yeah, he wasn’t from another universe at all, he was just taking advantage of multiverse theory and the recent battle with Thanos.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Whatever it was about the way they did storytelling in Loki just absolutely 100% resonated with me. I was honestly shocked to see that a non-insignificant number of folks (not just here, in general) felt the pacing was bad or it needed more action etc.. I actually wished for the opposite. I wanted more exposition and talking and less hokey battle scenes. It just goes to show that there’s tons of viewpoints on everything. Anyway, I don’t think any of that was a spoiler but I will say that I thought it didn’t just stick the landing it walked away with the gold medal. It was everything I wanted from a Loki show and I can’t express just how happy I am that we’re getting a second season and it’s not just one-time setup to a movie.

I have all the good feels right now.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

live with fruit posted:

Kinda not really

The series basically opens by saying "there isn't really such a thing as a multiverse, or at least no free will within it" because of the TVA, then abolishes that by the series end. Other shows movies saying 'there is a multiverse' dont desperately require that introduction. The general idea of there being parallel universes is a comic book stable that requires very little introduction. Hell, Enter the Spiderverse did it already.

Also King is cast already in the next Ant Man so I'd be surprised if he doesn't get a basic recap there, especially since in theory this will be a Kang who never met Loki and is just doing his thing.
/

massive spider fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Jul 14, 2021

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

live with fruit posted:

He was lying in that he wasn't really from the multiverse but still somehow got it right that the multiverse exists.

He was making it up (or, I guess one of the people working for him did). He (they) just happened to be right.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Sylvie was a LOT more powerful than she'd let on. Lying to 'our' Loki the whole time about what she could do.

A.o.D. posted:

[talking about the head of the TVA] Actually no! Same biology, but a million lifetimes of experiences has him as a different person. He really was He Who Remains, although the closest comic analogue is Immortus. I cannot stress enough that Immortus and Kang are not the same person, even if they share the same birth.

Which is also what they went for with Sylive and Loki "We're not the same person". It'll probably be a 'thing' in the next season.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

thrawn527 posted:

He was making it up (or, I guess one of the people working for him did). He (they) just happened to be right.

That'd be sloppy writing.

SpeakSlow
May 17, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I mean, we basically just met Immortus, who in the comics wasn't necessarily a "good" Kang variant.. but here he's more ambivalent and not he time travelling conqueror causing multiversal chaos. Here, he's the Alpha and the Omega Kang, who found a way to keep all those other megalomaniacal Kangs from loving everything up and bringing the whole shithouse down around their ears. He probably pruned timelines personally for awhile, then got sick of all the running around and started dragging-in variants from all those "wasted" timelines to form the TVA. Then a few millenia pass and he gets bored again. Wants to play in the universe he's been protecting. But the only way to do that was Diploid Loki, the Loki Who Wanted To gently caress Themselves.

So in Immortus we have an insane Keeper Of The Wall at the end of time, directing the TVA through literal puppets to keep people from questioning too much. "All that power for one guy? And he's just preventing his rowdy variants from existing? gently caress that, let's open this thing up and see what it can do!" BAM multiversal war again. Hell, he'd probably been through a few variations of that break-down already. He literally knew what the Lokis were going to do up to that terminal decision point that would free him/kill him/same thing. Seeing all that at once has to make you seem a little off. So again, good reason for him to hide behind the robot puppets.

Now we get to see Kang as he marches his big-brained-self into a multiversal catastrophe, as it is, as it was, as it ever shall be. We'll probably see Immortus again at the end, and maybe even a little Rama Tut along the way for flavor. Looking forward to it as presented. Honestly, Kang had never really "made sense" to me up until now. This is likely due to my never really wanting to dig into the crazy history of the character, but as presented his motivations make sense and the A to B to C of things makes me very interested to see what's coming.

On top of that, I love me a good character actor playing crazy. Reminds me of Forest Whitaker in the approach.

Well, that was a stream-of-consciousness rant. Thanks for letting me work out my issues on your dime.

CommanderApaul
Aug 30, 2003

It's amazing their hands can support such awesome.

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Sylvie was a LOT more powerful than she'd let on. Lying to 'our' Loki the whole time about what she could do.

Which is also what they went for with Sylive and Loki "We're not the same person". It'll probably be a 'thing' in the next season.

Being as Sylvie was holding He Who Remains' little hand bracelet of omniscience and omnipotence when she shoved Loki through the time door to a Kang-controlled TVA, I'm going to take a guess that the show is going to try to have it both ways, with Sylvie not being able to let go of her revenge quest, and at the same time putting Loki in the right place to work on fixing the poo poo that's been broken.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

That was a great episode and I do not read comics. Just information gleamed from posts and videos on youtube. While I am not a fan of cliffhangers cause I am impatient I cannot wait to delve more into this story. This was the best of the Disney+ shows and stuck every landing.

a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

more like a Barking Dog, woof!

DaveKap posted:

Let's discuss the beginning of the episode and what exactly this means:

I'll start.

I have no idea.

:pwn:

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Did I miss Owen Wilson saying "wow" or did they really not give us that?

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Senerio posted:

Gotta have a reason for you to stick around to season 2.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Senerio posted:

Gotta give you something to come back for Season 2

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
So we both didn't get the Jetski AND "Wow!"

Trash finale.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Senerio posted:

Unless I missed it they really passed on a great little moment here, just like they missed out on not having RDJ say “No poo poo, Sherlock” to Benedict Cumberbatch. :smith:

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
I know they won't actually say gently caress in MCU stuff but if there was ever a time for a (verbal) gently caress it was the end of the episode.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

live with fruit posted:

Well, according to Beavis and Butthead, they're the same movie. And it's a Christmas movie.

Something I really liked with this episode is how Kang's ultimatum is based on what Loki and Sylvie each went into the story wanting. Sylvie wanted revenge and to burn it down. Loki wanted to overthrow the one in charge and rule. Thing is, he's changed but not really. He doesn't want to rule completely out of ego, but to protect Sylvie and because he can see the bigger picture (even if it means no free will). Sylvie herself never stopped wanting revenge or the nihilism of destroying the whole operation, but she also has noticed her own bigger picture: the idea that she was created by reality itself to oppose and destroy He Who Remains and all he stands for.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
Imagine having a scene with two Lokis in it and just

loving

STEALING it.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Senerio posted:

Gotta save something for the series finale

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Anita Dickinme posted:

Unless I missed it they really passed on a great little moment here, just like they missed out on not having RDJ say “No poo poo, Sherlock” to Benedict Cumberbatch. :smith:

No, this would have been dumb as anything. Restraint prevailed.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Did I miss an explanation for the fiction of the Timekeepers?

The more I think about this the more it bothers me. The giant mystery behind the show is, in a climactic conversation, revealed to be exactly what we were told in episode 1. It would be a fine resolution except nothing about the show acknowledges this fact.

Boxman fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Jul 14, 2021

Raivin
Jan 9, 2002
Pillbug
I liked it. I think they stuck a very difficult landing as best they could. Felt like a way more fun version of the Architect scene from the 2nd Matrix - with stabbing at the end! They also avoided the overlong battle/CGI shmoz that is typical 3rd act MCU.

Props to the writers for giving us our first taste of Kang on the show, rather than dancing around it for years like they did with Thanos. The real heads get excited & the uninitiated get an intriguing, mysterious laying of the groundwork.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
What a contrast to the Taskmaster they gave us.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
Overall I didn’t like Loki quite as much as the other two MCU shows, but it was good and I’m looking forward to the second season.