Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?
LOL it launched for $200, too. For a dongle. Jesus christ.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Midjack posted:

psp piracy made someone at sce absolutely insane, a lot of the dumb poo poo about the vita seems to be hard counters to stuff that happened on the psp.

i remember jailbreaking my PSP back in the day, the method at that time used an exploit in libpng. you'd load a specially crafted PNG file plus a payload onto the memory stick and then view the PNG in the built-in picture viewer. that triggered the exploit which ran the payload and patched the OS to let you run unsigned software.

good times. still got my PSP in fact. it's a first-gen JP model, "illegally" imported to AU by Lik-Sang before it even launched here. i say "illegally" because SCE managed to sue Lik-Sang into oblivion for doing it lol

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i totally forgot about lik-sang

edit: lol

quote:

Since 2014, the Lik-Sang website simply redirects to this article.

well that's certainly one way to do it

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

quicktime for windows

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Progressive JPEG posted:

quicktime for windows

safari for windows, which included porting most of cocoa including the text rendering engine from os x to windows

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
Realplayer

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

carry on then posted:

safari for windows, which included porting most of cocoa including the text rendering engine from os x to windows

i guess nobody used it but i'm still disappointed they dropped it

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

Progressive JPEG posted:

quicktime for windows

Volmarias posted:

Realplayer

quicktime alternative and realplayer alternative

install those along with defilerpack and media player classic, boom you're in ~2005 video-playing heaven

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

ccp (community codec pack)

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

carry on then posted:

god those fonts felt like a window to a better world. then you close the browser and it's back to ClearType :sigh: I ended up installing some janky utility that tried to emulate OSX's font antialiasing systemwide, it was so unreliable you could have a single context menu with different options displayed in different ways

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

have you considered just installing osx

lazydog
Apr 15, 2003

Progressive JPEG posted:

quicktime for windows

the free version of quicktime for windows used to not let you play a video in full screen. apple wanted you to buy quicktime pro for that feature

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

as a person who never leaves my house i've done pretty well for myself.

carry on then posted:

Windows XP’s font rendering, especially so-called ‘ClearType’, was rancid dogshit and that why I used Safari for as long as I could.

The situation got better with Vista (lol), and then again with high-pixel-density displays.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

z0r

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

hope he got the help he needed

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

mediaphage posted:

i guess nobody used it but i'm still disappointed they dropped it

same

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

carry on then posted:

i see your safari for windows and raise you internet explorer for solaris

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

kitten smoothie posted:

:catstare:

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

kitten smoothie posted:

:eyepoop:

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

to be clear, it ran about as well as you would expect of IE5 being run through some kind of reverse-WINE setup, which is to say barely at all

iirc it was also packaged in an manner that reflected MSFT’s lack of understanding of UNIX and took some major janitoring to make it work

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

kitten smoothie posted:

to be clear, it ran about as well as you would expect of IE5 being run through some kind of reverse-WINE setup, which is to say barely at all

iirc it was also packaged in an manner that reflected MSFT’s lack of understanding of UNIX and took some major janitoring to make it work

yeah but it existed

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

basecamp

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

kitten smoothie posted:

I thought requiring major janitoring to work was the whole basis for unix

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

cappuccino / objective-J

where someone thought “I want to write a single page web app but my fanatical devotion to Apple tool chains means I only want to do it with ObjC syntax”

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?
You don't have to be lonely at farmers only dot com

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

shoeberto posted:

You don't have to be lonely at farmers only dot com

Hot silos in your area

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

business card CDs

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

SO DEMANDING posted:

business card CDs

showstoppers events have good food

fack you
Sep 12, 2002

For Life
emoticons

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

SO DEMANDING posted:

business card CDs

lol didn't those blow up if the drive was too fast?

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
even a regular CD or LD or DVD or HD-DVD or Blu-Ray will blow up if you spin it too fast

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Carthag Tuek posted:

lol didn't those blow up if the drive was too fast?

tesla prototype

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Jonny 290 posted:

tesla prototype

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

eschaton posted:

even a regular CD or LD or DVD or HD-DVD or Blu-Ray will blow up if you spin it too fast

I mean didn't the asymmetry make it worse?

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

eschaton posted:

in fact just about everything will explode if you spin it too fast

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
wish you are posts etc.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

as a person who never leaves my house i've done pretty well for myself.

Carthag Tuek posted:

I mean didn't the asymmetry make it worse?

those aren’t that bad because they’re balanced, and they’re smaller than ordinary CDs

there were absolutely some designs that would reliably grenade in a high‐speed drive, though

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
cd caddies

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

N.Z.'s Champion
Jun 8, 2003

Yam Slacker
my microsoft monopoly shirt from the 2000s